• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't one of the band members a black girl?

still is, as far as i can tell.

Evangeline+Lilly+New+Face+Michelle+K+xmtWV-1pYr4m.jpg

Given the type of movie the adaptation turned into, I think it was highly intentional to get a really light biracial girl for Shana. You never see dark skin chicks for the token black girl in those type of movies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Beast Wars was fucking hype. There are so many God tier cartoons with that shitty cgi style that was hot in that era. BW and Reboot are the only two I can think of right now but I know there were tons more.

RedSwirl

Beast Wars was fucking hype. There are so many God tier cartoons with that shitty cgi style that was hot in that era. BW and Reboot are the only two I can think of right now but I know there were tons more.

Half of The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest I guess. I liked it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
"the great Keyblade war"

This sounds horrible. Is it just me? That just sounds so stupid.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

A sign from god? So she is going to walk into a modeling agency with a print out of a "Like" from LeBron saying she needs top dollar? Would do better flipping that into a contract at Vivid.

Sweetie, don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but I'm going to be real with you:

You need to value yourself a little more.

I'm only saying it because I've been there before, I have friends going through it right now, and I see it in you. I know exactly what you're doing: you're looking at these douchebag profiles and taking them in as a loss for you. You're looking at these profiles with their fucking racist 'No fatties/blacks/asians/dark-skinned hispanics! Sorry, just my preference!" and you're thinking to yourself, *sigh*...if only I weren't black...If only I weren't this/that/the-other-thing this person would talk to me, and we'd fall in love, and we'd be happy. But I'm not what this person wants, so I'm unhappy...

You can't let your self-worth be so tied up in the opinions of people who aren't you. Especially not some racist-ass anonymous profiles on gay dating sites. I don't even have to know you to know you're worth a LOT more than that. Always know that.

Instead of looking at these dudes as a loss, you need to have confidence in yourself, what you have to offer, and look at these dudes as loudly advertising how worthless they are and why they were never worth your time in the first goddamn place.

I mean, do you want to date a racist? Do you want to be that experiment black dude that the racist tries out for size? I can tell you right now, it's a waste of time.

Good advice here. Dating sites are rough as it is. It is the ultimate spray and pray. So if there is a red flag in the profile, don't even waste your time and get down because someone you don't even know has no interest in you because of your race. Trying to convince someone to give you a chance when they have indicated you aren't even on their radar isn't the best way to start a relationship.

I go on dating sites every now and then. The weird part is that I attract the attention of white women more than black ones. I started to get a complex about it, but it is what it is.

Put the like in your modeling resume. Timestamp and screenshot it as attachments. It's how you get in the door brehs

So 4 new black people in the CW DC universe

Vixen
Hawkgirl
Jay Jackson (brand new character in the universe it seems)
mystery male superhero some people speculate Static Shock

We on the come up
rejoice.png

I thought Jon Chu was a huge fan of the source.

The little back and forth snark offs the mother and the daughter use to have on Gilmore Girls made me want to burn that town they lived in to the ground. The asian best friend was cute though

People romanticized G1 transformers, that shit is barely watchable.

Slayven, you're alright.

Best show.

Slayven

Put the like in your modeling resume. Timestamp and screenshot it as attachments. It's how you get in the door brehs

Vixen
Hawkgirl

We on the come up
rejoice.png

It's not static, they don't have the rights

Onemic

A sign from god? So she is going to walk into a modeling agency with a print out of a "Like" from LeBron saying she needs top dollar? Would do better flipping that into a contract at Vivid.

Good advice here. Dating sites are rough as it is. It is the ultimate spray and pray. So if there is a red flag in the profile, don't even waste your time and get down because someone you don't even know has no interest in you because of your race. Trying to convince someone to give you a chance when they have indicated you aren't even on their radar isn't the best way to start a relationship.

I go on dating sites every now and then. The weird part is that I attract the attention of white women more than black ones. I started to get a complex about it, but it is what it is.

Messed with okcupid a few years back and messaged a half black chick. Messages me back saying shes sorry, but she doesnt date black guys. All I could do was :/

Vixen
Hawkgirl

We on the come up
rejoice.png

wait wut, where?

esms

Okay, so my current understanding of the issue is that straight-up overtly racist laws in decades past blatantly corralled black residents away from white residents, and that at some point the powers that be weren't allowed to do that anymore, at least not out in the open. But, by the time that happened, most blacks were already caught in the economic cycle of poverty you just described. I think that's how Ferguson got the way it is but I only remember parts of what I read about its history.

How close am I on this one?

I'd say you're pretty much there. You also have to factor in cultural things that effect the economics of a region, such as white flight, but by and large you got the hang of it.

I find it easier to visualize these things when talking about them. While doing work for a Sports class I'm taking, I stumbled across this fantastic racial dot map of the US according to the 2010 Census. Take a look at cities like Detroit, Baltimore and Atlanta. That racial divide across neighborhoods doesn't happen by accident.

Merc_

Vixen
Hawkgirl

We on the come up
rejoice.png

I dunno man. We're still mostly stuck with sidekick/best friend/villain status in all superhero programs. I'll be impressed when we're finally allowed to be the main hero in one of these shows (assuming Static doesn't happen).

Numb

All these superhero shows have burnt me out but i would watch a Static shock show in a heartbeat.
I remember watching that cartoon almost everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom