• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad to hear things are working out for you, Feenix.

If I were you the first things I'd be saving up for is a car & a gym membership.

the gym is for showers :D

AfroMW

Update:

Still alive.

Helped my boy packing to move out, he paid me. Got a nice hotel for a few nights for super 8 prices (thanks hotwire!!) until the gofundme donations finally deposits. (Which once again I thank you guys so fuckin much you wouldn't believe it) Then time to execute my next steps.

It's just nice to be laying on a bed again....

Good to hear

Update:

Still alive.

Helped my boy packing to move out, he paid me. Got a nice hotel for a few nights for super 8 prices (thanks hotwire!!) until the gofundme donations finally deposits. (Which once again I thank you guys so fuckin much you wouldn't believe it) Then time to execute my next steps.

Fantastic to hear, brother..onward and upward!
#postracial
Mitt-Romney-Laughing.gif

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It's the same in the lesbian community but black women get limited to almost strickly black and latino
Really? I see a lot of black/white lesbian couples up here in Vancouver. One of my aunts was in a committed relationship for 30+ years. Of course my oblivious ass didn't figure it out until I was nearly graduating from high school. Thought they were just really close roommates who happened to be raising a kid. :p

Merc_

Update:

Still alive.

Good to hear that things are going better for you. Don't give up, bud.

Africanus

Yeah, you should have done or said something. Can't let yourself be disrespected like that. If the situation was reversed, I am sure she wouldn't have been fine with it...or maybe she would have been. You know better than any of us what is going on. Just seems so random unless that is how your class rolls. In my college days we had a group that would be wild like that, but it was usually just foreplay for after class activities.
It was very random which is why I was caught off guard. I'll be sure to tell her off on my next opportunity.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I might apply for a 9 dollar an hour 40+ hour a week warehouse job. I'm getting desperate. at least its at a food distribution place so it should be cold in this hot as california weather.

Primary. Been unemployed for nearly 10 months. This shit is depressing yo. I don't even know how I've survived this long without a job.

I just got hired for a job doing QA today. Give or take a couple of weeks, it's been 2 years since college graduation for me with only freelance here and there to make of it thus far.
You'll be alright. Even if you gotta do that job, it's at the least a foundation to stand on as you move towards the next step.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I just got hired for a job doing QA today. Give or take a couple of weeks, it's been 2 years since college graduation for me with only freelance here and there to make of it thus far.
You'll be alright. Even if you gotta do that job, it's at the least a foundation to stand on as you move towards the next step.

You're right and I should look at it that way. It's just that I have this self defeating attitude searching for so long. it's depressing. After getting snubbed by legitimate jobs it's just getting me down.

I might apply for a 9 dollar an hour 40+ hour a week warehouse job. I'm getting desperate. at least its at a food distribution place so it should be cold in this hot as california weather.

As someone who's done mainly nothing but that shit, it ain't really worth it. Those jobs are unsafe as hell and it's not good to risk your health for a few dollars. Someone's always getting injured. Fuck a job where they have a sign counting the days the last time someone got hurt. One day on the job this dude got up on this stack of slanted boxes that was about seven feet tall and I asked him "Isn't that kind of dangerous" and he responded "Yeah, but that's how they want us to do it,". Nah, fuck that shit and I don't see how anyone could live off that shit. I can't get a car or move out my mom's house with this shit. You're on the west coast too, so nine dollars really ain't shit!

I also hate how those jobs are filled primarily with minorities with the management being white. I didn't bust my ass getting two degrees, to do some shit that doesn't even require a high school diploma. I could be spending that time doing more work for this indie studio, applying for jobs that don't require safety glasses, earplugs, and steel toe boots, and honing my other skills.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
As someone who's did mainly nothing, but that shit, it ain't really worth it. Those jobs are unsafe as hell and it's not good to risk your health for a few dollars. Someone's always getting injured. Fuck a job where they have a sign counting the days the last time someone got hurt. One day on the job this dude got up on this stack of slanted boxes that was about seven feet tall and I asked him "Isn't that kind of dangerous" and he responded "Yeah, but that's how they want us to do it,". Nah, fuck that shit and I don't see how anyone could live off that shit. I can't get a job or move out my mom's house with this shit. You're on the west coast too, so nine dollars really ain't shit!

I also hate how those jobs are filled primarily with minorities with the management being white. I didn't bust my ass getting two degrees, to do some shit that doesn't even require a high school diploma. I could be spending that time doing more work for this indie studio, applying for jobs that don't require safety glasses, earplugs, and steel toe boots, and honing my other skills.
i know I've been there too but I'm on my own and need income somehow.

edit: It's likely that I could be rehired into my last job within the next few months but I'm waiting on word from HR and with my lease being up soon everythings coming down to the wire.

RedSwirl

As someone who's done mainly nothing but that shit, it ain't really worth it. Those jobs are unsafe as hell and it's not good to risk your health for a few dollars. Someone's always getting injured. Fuck a job where they have a sign counting the days the last time someone got hurt. One day on the job this dude got up on this stack of slanted boxes that was about seven feet tall and I asked him "Isn't that kind of dangerous" and he responded "Yeah, but that's how they want us to do it,". Nah, fuck that shit and I don't see how anyone could live off that shit. I can't get a job or move out my mom's house with this shit. You're on the west coast too, so nine dollars really ain't shit!

This is my current position.

Alright... so I'm in the hotel watching the Disney Channel. Finding Nemo was on so I was watching that (don't judge me) then I see that Zendaya has a new show...

....but where the hell did they find Kadeem Hardisson at?!?!

As someone who's done mainly nothing but that shit, it ain't really worth it. Those jobs are unsafe as hell and it's not good to risk your health for a few dollars. Someone's always getting injured. Fuck a job where they have a sign counting the days the last time someone got hurt. One day on the job this dude got up on this stack of slanted boxes that was about seven feet tall and I asked him "Isn't that kind of dangerous" and he responded "Yeah, but that's how they want us to do it,". Nah, fuck that shit and I don't see how anyone could live off that shit. I can't get a car or move out my mom's house with this shit. You're on the west coast too, so nine dollars really ain't shit!

Sounds like my last job, I was getting about 15/hr (government contract)... that was of course before my back injury sent everything to hell.

Slayven

Alright... so I'm in the hotel watching the Disney Channel. Finding Nemo was on so I was watching that (don't judge me) then I see that Zendaya has a new show...

....but where the hell did they find Kadeem Hardisson at?!?!

You should see who plays his mother and father. Whos who of black sitcom stars

Young Magus

Update:

Still alive.

Glad to hear from ya

Really? I see a lot of black/white lesbian couples up here in Vancouver. One of my aunts was in a committed relationship for 30+ years. Of course my oblivious ass didn't figure it out until I was nearly graduating from high school. Thought they were just really close roommates who happened to be raising a kid. :p
It's not like that in Houston from people I know/my cousin (she gave up trying to get anyone not black or rachet at 19 ha), the heavily gay areas I've worked around.

Also lol you're the kid from Black-ish

Jacir

Hey Feenix, have you thought about joining this tiny house movement? Real question. Maybe its an opportune time for that kind of lifestyle. Glad you're on a path to victory.

royalan

Tell that to all the dudes on A4A, grindr, jack'd, etc...........

I've been on most of those sites...

Do you think this might have something to do with you developing an attraction to the types of guys who idolize whiteness?

Because those "I only date other white dudes! Sorry!" profiles are annoying when you see them, but they're not the majority. Dating as a black gay person can be hard, but it's not impossible. It also helps that I've developed an intense inability to be attracted to guys who only like white dudes. Like, the second I see that shit I'm turned off.

akira28

racism is extremely unsexy.

(unless you're already having sex)

Hey Feenix, have you thought about joining this tiny house movement? Real question. Maybe its an opportune time for that kind of lifestyle. Glad you're on a path to victory.

the tiny house movement, or as it's known in non-Gweneth Paltrow hipster circles as the "nigga...this is a shed" movement

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
whats the context of that pic

Linda McMahon just lost her second bid for Senate.

Cost Vince over $100 million. This was when it was announced she lost, and his money just....bloop

Literally everything said in this post was the truth. And my white manager was lazy as fuck. At least the co-workers were cool. If there were about 10 more people working the office, it would literally be a real life representation of The Office.

Also, Jem and the Holograms is the pop version of Beyond the Lights confirmed? It's just gonna gross more money because all the little kids are gonna want to watch it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Some money is better than no money. Trying to be picky when you have no other options isn't the way. I remember applying at a grocery store a couple of years ago because I was so desperate. I just wanted some money and to have something to do. It is what it is and you probably are qualified for much more, but we all have to crawl before we ball. /kanye

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Some money is better than no money. Trying to be picky when you have no other options isn't the way. I remember applying at a grocery store a couple of years ago because I was so desperate. I just wanted some money and to have something to do. It is what it is and you probably are qualified for much more, but we all have to crawl before we ball. /kanye

And you can make friends with your coworkers, build connections. It's something. Nothing made me feel like a worthless piece of shit like I did when I was employed. I took the first job I could find at that point. It was a dark time.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
When are they going to make a movie about the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment? For those who don't know -

The Tuskegee syphilis experiment was a clinical study conducted between 1932 and 1972 in Tuskegee, Alabama, by the U.S. Public Health Service. In the experiment, 400 impoverished black males who had syphilis were offered "treatment" by the researchers, who did not tell the test subjects that they had syphilis and did not give them treatment for the disease, but rather just studied them to chart the progress of the disease. By 1947, penicillin became available as treatment, but those running the study prevented study participants from receiving treatment elsewhere, lying to them about their true condition, so that they could observe the effects of syphilis on the human body. By the end of the study in 1972, only 74 of the test subjects were alive. 28 of the original 399 men had died of syphilis, 100 were dead of related complications, 40 of their wives had been infected, and 19 of their children were born with congenital syphilis. The study was not shut down until 1972, when its existence was leaked to the press, forcing the researchers to stop in the face of a public outcry.

1972 isn't exactly ancient history so it is still relevant. I went down the rabbit hole of US experiments on their own citizens and this one, along with experiments done on prisoners really stuck out as cruel and indicative of what government officials have thought about the worth of it's people, especially minorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom