• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreed

When are they going to make a movie about the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment? For those who don't know -

1972 isn't exactly ancient history so it is still relevant. I went down the rabbit hole of US experiments on their own citizens and this one, along with experiments done on prisoners really stuck out as cruel and indicative of what government officials have thought about the worth of it's people, especially minorities.

As soon as they write the "good hearted scientist" role for Brad Pitt or Sandra Bullock.

jmood88

Not sure if anyone here fucks with my bitch Spalding, but here's an interview about her tour.
Of course I fuck with my wife.

When are they going to make a movie about the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment? For those who don't know -

1972 isn't exactly ancient history so it is still relevant. I went down the rabbit hole of US experiments on their own citizens and this one, along with experiments done on prisoners really stuck out as cruel and indicative of what government officials have thought about the worth of it's people, especially minorities.
They did, it's called Miss Ever's Boys.

Hey everybody, tell me if I am off base here. I don't care what people identify as. its a non-issue for me, if I address you incorrectly and you correct me then I will use whatever verbiage you prefer but I don't care what you choose to view yourself as. You're just you. I was told that I was non-inclusive and I didn't get it. You younger guys and girls have better experience with this than me.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Hey everybody, tell me if I am off base here. I don't care what people identify as. its a non-issue for me, if I address you incorrectly and you correct me then I will use whatever verbiage you prefer but I don't care what you choose to view yourself as. You're just you. I was told that I was non-inclusive and I didn't get it. You younger guys and girls have better experience with this than me.

What was the context of being told you were non-inclusive?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Somebody said that another person was transgender and i said, that doesn't concern me. Then I laid out what i just posted and then she said I was non-inclusive.

Sounds like they took what you said to mean that you didn't care, meaning you didn't really respect that they were transgender. Just sounds like a misunderstanding.

Somebody said that another person was transgender and i said, that doesn't concern me. Then I laid out what i just posted and then she said I was non-inclusive.

That's an honest mistake. That being said, attempting to diffuse the conversation with "no it's not that I don't care what they chooses to identify as, I don't care what anyone is" isn't the greatest idea in the world. I would just say something to the effect of "I support whatever people choose to identify as and I'll use whatever pronouns they want, I'm just not very involved or interested in gender politics."

What was the context of being told you were non-inclusive?

Sounds like they took what you said to mean that you didn't care, meaning you didn't really respect that they were transgender. Just sounds like a misunderstanding.

That's an honest mistake. That being said, attempting to diffuse the conversation with "no it's not that I don't care what they chooses to identify as, I don't care what anyone is" isn't the greatest idea in the world. I would just say something to the effect of "I support whatever people choose to identify as and I'll use whatever pronouns they want, I'm just not very involved or interested in gender politics."

Thx!

Imm0rt4l

Basically this. You don't want to come across as tone deaf is all.

Shy

Hey Feenix, have you thought about joining this tiny house movement? Real question. Maybe its an opportune time for that kind of lifestyle. Glad you're on a path to victory.
This channel has a lot of videos about tiny houses, if you're interested.
That sucks, sound like (as other guys here said) you were misunderstood.

EDIT: sorry if was stating the obvious.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I've been on most of those sites...

Do you think this might have something to do with you developing an attraction to the types of guys who idolize whiteness?

Because those "I only date other white dudes! Sorry!" profiles are annoying when you see them, but they're not the majority. Dating as a black gay person can be hard, but it's not impossible. It also helps that I've developed an intense inability to be attracted to guys who only like white dudes. Like, the second I see that shit I'm turned off.

Feels impossible 99% of the time. sigh.

Slayven

I like that the Jem and the holograms trailer is making people go "You know what? Micheal Bay wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact nigga was on point."

I like that the Jem and the holograms trailer is making people go "You know what? Micheal Bay wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact nigga was on point."

I have heard those opinions. It's a shame though. As one of the biggest Jem fans I was worried from the jump when I found out Jon Chu was on this. Why couldn't we have a good director that understood it and could've brought it back into prominence? I know a few sistas irl that fuck with it, but no men, and I just want there to be more fans out there.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
It's sad that it takes the bar being set so low, damn near buried thousands of miles under the ground, for people to realize Michael Bay is not that bad. Maybe not on point but he sold the IPs he got as entertaining popcorn flicks. secretly I don't rank joss all that much higher. At the end of the day he's not great but doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

Jem is completely unrecognizable besides her face makeup and name. Most audiences will probably just think she is copying lady gaga.

royalan

Feels impossible 99% of the time. sigh.

Sweetie, don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but I'm going to be real with you:

You need to value yourself a little more.

I'm only saying it because I've been there before, I have friends going through it right now, and I see it in you. I know exactly what you're doing: you're looking at these douchebag profiles and taking them in as a loss for you. You're looking at these profiles with their fucking racist 'No fatties/blacks/asians/dark-skinned hispanics! Sorry, just my preference!" and you're thinking to yourself, *sigh*...if only I weren't black...If only I weren't this/that/the-other-thing this person would talk to me, and we'd fall in love, and we'd be happy. But I'm not what this person wants, so I'm unhappy...

You can't let your self-worth be so tied up in the opinions of people who aren't you. Especially not some racist-ass anonymous profiles on gay dating sites. I don't even have to know you to know you're worth a LOT more than that. Always know that.

Instead of looking at these dudes as a loss, you need to have confidence in yourself, what you have to offer, and look at these dudes as loudly advertising how worthless they are and why they were never worth your time in the first goddamn place.

I mean, do you want to date a racist? Do you want to be that experiment black dude that the racist tries out for size? I can tell you right now, it's a waste of time.

Slayven

I have heard those opinions. It's a shame though. As one of the biggest Jem fans I was worried from the jump when I found out Jon Chu was on this. Why couldn't we have a good director that understood it and could've brought it back into prominence? I know a few sistas irl that fuck with it, but no men, and I just want there to be more fans out there.
I thought Jon Chu was a huge fan of the source.

Supergirl look like mix between Gilmore Girls and SmallVille. Straight Ass.
The little back and forth snark offs the mother and the daughter use to have on Gilmore Girls made me want to burn that town they lived in to the ground. The asian best friend was cute though

It's sad that it takes the bar being set so low, damn near buried thousands of miles under the ground, for people to realize Michael Bay is not that bad. Maybe not on point but he sold the IPs he got as entertaining popcorn flicks. secretly I don't rank joss all that much higher. At the end of the day he's not great but doesn't deserve the hate he gets.

Jem is completely unrecognizable besides her face makeup and name. Most audiences will probably just think she is copying lady gaga.

People romanticized G1 transformers, that shit is barely watchable.

jmood88

the Jem & The Holograms trailer is making most folks go "WTF is Jem & The Holograms"

I've seen a bunch of angry reactions towards something that I had never even heard about prior to yesterday. The amount of people voicing their displeasure is pretty amazing.

People romanticized G1 transformers, that shit is barely watchable.
The hardcore Transformers fans upset with Michael Bay for "ruining" their not-even-thinly-veiled 20 minute toy commercials are hilarious.

Sweetie, don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but I'm going to be real with you:

You need to value yourself a little more.

I'm only saying it because I've been there before, I have friends going through it right now, and I see it in you. I know exactly what you're doing: you're looking at these douchebag profiles and taking them in as a loss for you. You're looking at these profiles with their fucking racist 'No fatties/blacks/asians/dark-skinned hispanics! Sorry, just my preference!" and you're thinking to yourself, *sigh*...if only I weren't black...If only I weren't this/that/the-other-thing this person would talk to me, and we'd fall in love, and we'd be happy. But I'm not what this person wants, so I'm unhappy...

You can't let your self-worth be so tied up in the opinions of people who aren't you. Especially not some racist-ass anonymous profiles on gay dating sites. I don't even have to know you to know you're worth a LOT more than that. Always know that.

Instead of looking at these dudes as a loss, you need to have confidence in yourself, what you have to offer, and look at these dudes as loudly advertising how worthless they are and why they were never worth your time in the first goddamn place.

I mean, do you want to date a racist? Do you want to be that experiment black dude that the racist tries out for size? I can tell you right now, it's a waste of time.

Everyone should listen to this advice.

Slayven

I

The hardcore Transformers fans upset with Michael Bay for "ruining" their not-even-thinly-veiled 20 minute toy commercials are hilarious.

Even still, shit is chill compared to when Beast Wars drop. There was blood on the streets "Trukk not Monky!!!" still rings nowadays.

jmood88

Even still, shit is chill compared to when Beast Wars drop. There was blood on the streets "Trukk not Monky!!!" still rings nowadays.

Now, I loved Beast Wars, though I barely remember anything that happened so I'll just be happy if a movie is ever made.

Crocodile

@Freenix: I don't have much advice to offer but I will say having read up on what happened I'm glad to see that there has been a turnaround and I wish you continued luck in the future :)

@Africanus: What you described in your class that happened to you sounds like straight up sexual harassment. Fuck that shit. I think you would have been well within your rights to call bullshit on that.

@neojubei: I'm far from a dating/relationship master but I gotta say your "sucks to be me" sthick is hella unattractive. You ain't gonna convince the others dudes to buy what you're selling with that attitude and its an attitude you've had for a while. Take royalan's advice.

Concerning Micheal Bay:I had Beast Wars toys as a kid and liked me some Transformers but I was too young to have any real attachment to G1 Transformers. I thought Transformers 1 was dumb but fun and a good enough time. However, I've never been more livid after a movie than when I finished seeing Transformers 2. I was mad enough that I might have punched a baby if I saw one on my way home. That movie was ASSSSSSSS.

I don't think Micheal Bay is a terrible human being. I just don't want to give him my money (and I haven't seen a movie by him since). Transformers 2 was bad because it was BAD not because of some disrespect to Transformers canon or whatever nonsense.

Village

Supergirl look like mix between Gilmore Girls and SmallVille. Straight Ass.
I kind of hoped they would have just gone with this one, but pants

9nij91I.jpg

I like that costume, except for the lack of pants. With pants It would be best super girl costume OP8.

Beautiful

While self improvements and introspection are key. You will eventually find people who just don't want you for who you are, and you are an ok dude.

Don't let the unrealistic expectations or standards of others get you down, take it as their loss. Don't let them hold you back, shoot through the moon and past the stars.

While mine isn't usually about racism, holding yourself to those types of things, will lead you down a depressing hole that is really hard to climb out of.

Onemic

I kind of hoped they would have just gone with this one, but pants

I like that costume, except for the lack of pants. With pants It would be best super girl costume OP8.

Beautiful

While self improvements and introspection are key. You will eventually find people who just don't want you for who you are, and you are an ok dude.

Don't let the unrealistic expectations or standards of others get you down, take it as their loss. Don't let them hold you back, shoot through the moon and past the stars.

While mine isn't usually about racism, holding yourself to those types of things, will lead you down a depressing hole that is really hard to climb out of.

Is she like literally not wearing any pants? seems like its some single sided plastic cover or something

the Jem & The Holograms trailer is making most folks go "WTF is Jem & The Holograms"

Netflix has brought a ton of stuff back. I was introducing my younger family to GI Joe and my six year old sister turned me on to Jem. I'll take that over Bratz Babies or Monster High. Now I understand my mom telling me to turn those damn Rugrats off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom