• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the consensus on Ulton round here, good, bad? i thought the first avengers was decent. i guess my fav marvel movies in recent memory are the Captain America films, and im not even a comic book reader at all.

It's not Winter Soldier, that's for sure.

But on it's own, it was alright. Fixed some of the things I didn't like about the first movie, and didn't pick up on others.

Feels like the Iron Man 2 of Phase 2.

ironman 2 was meh to me, i'll probably watch Ultron eventually.

Cap 3 though, i'll be day one no question. i guess the writers/producer/director seem to know what they're doing with that franchise.

Kreed

whats the consensus on Ulton round here, good, bad? i thought the first avengers was decent. i guess my fav marvel movies in recent memory are the Captain America films, and im not even a comic book reader at all.

Winter Soldier > Avengers 1 > Guardians > Iron Man > Avengers 2 > Everything else

andthebeatgoeson

I can't decide if I find Zoe Kravitz attractive or not. She looked good as hell in Mad Max but looks weird to me in the other stuff I've seen her in.

She's got a weird face that not 10/10 attractive. She's still a 6 or 7 in the face, decent rest of it. So, in the street, she looks good. In hollywood? She ain't her mom.

Her mom, doe?

Edit: actually, after doing some research, I'll take this back. She's cute. She just doesn't have her mom's style.

[roy] Her hair looks like a mess and she fails to cover her Rihanna-class fivehead. [/roy]

andthebeatgoeson

Slay, if magneto can manipulate metal, why can't he break the calcium in bones?

300-calcium-metal.jpg

Slayven

Speaking on Magneto, Mags has the second best Forcefield game in comics. He could have held those those sentinels in DOFP off and baked a cake at the same time.

So my friends are trying to turn me into a hashtag. It's amazing. Job is great. Louisiana has been doing me right. And you cats still kicking. Good to hear.

Today I saw a gang of hoods jump this one kid on the subway, then strip him and throw his clothes on the tracks. I forgot how often shit like this happens in NYC. I hope future generations learn to stay out that kind of mess
fiddy.gif

Africanus

So I'm looking at the Oxford Dictionary website and I'm wondering how many people don't know what racism means. Or if there was some major event that's having people pull out the dictionary to back up their argument.

Infinite

So I'm looking at the Oxford Dictionary website and I'm wondering how many people don't know what racism means. Or if there was some major event that's having people pull out the dictionary to back up their argument.
The problem is using a dictionary to understand concepts especially academic ones. An encyclopedia is a better tool here.

Bubba T

The racism threads here never let me down. Whites say they know about their white privilege, but do they really know how privileged they are?

jmood88

The racism threads here never let me down. Whites say they know about their white privilege, but do they really know how privileged they are?
It's amazing how hard it is for whites, especially middle to upper middle class whites, to acknowledge their privilege. I have no problem acknowledging the fact that as a male who mostly grew up middle class with parents who have phd's and masters' degrees, that I am much better off than most and won the circumstances lottery but you ask a white guy to recognize that he gets certain perks for being white and all hell breaks loose.

Bubba T

It's amazing how hard it is for whites, especially middle to upper middle class whites, to acknowledge their privilege. I have no problem acknowledging the fact that as a male who mostly grew up middle class with parents who have phd's and masters' degrees, that I am much better off than most and won the circumstances lottery but you ask a white guy to recognize that he gets certain perks for being white and all hell breaks loose.

That is partly due to being raised in an environment where their privilege is normal. If you grow up in a neighborhood where everyone looks like you and everyone gets the same privileges you do, you would believe its normal too. Then for someone who does not look like you to make a claim otherwise would probably bother you as well. Even if it is true.

White people have had the benefit of their privilege for so long that they think the leveling of the playing field is unjust and a loss of rights for them.

Infinite

White people have had the benefit of their privilege for so long that they think the leveling of the playing field is unjust and a loss of rights for them.
Unfortunately, subscribing to meritocracy seems to be at odds with recognizing inequality and unjust institutions.

DominoKid

She's got a weird face that not 10/10 attractive. She's still a 6 or 7 in the face, decent rest of it. So, in the street, she looks good. In hollywood? She ain't her mom.

Her mom, doe?

Edit: actually, after doing some research, I'll take this back. She's cute. She just doesn't have her mom's style.

[roy] Her hair looks like a mess and she fails to cover her Rihanna-class fivehead. [/roy]

bruh you crazy. She gorgeous.

I personally grew up in a lower-middle class environment that was extremely tolerant and nonreligious because my mom grew up in a low-income environment herself and was mostly friends with minorities so it's not very hard for me to acknowledge the privileges I have - I'm white / spanish, but really only look white and tan. I think some of the irrational fear stems from leaps in logic suggesting that equality is a direct reversal of racism; that is, rather than seeing equality as "quality of life for the subjugated goes up," they see it as "quality of life for the majority goes down." Perspective is a dwindling resource these days.

I personally grew up in a lower-middle class environment that was extremely tolerant and nonreligious because my mom grew up in a low-income environment herself and was mostly friends with minorities so it's not very hard for me to acknowledge the privileges I have - I'm white / spanish, but really only look white and tan. I think some of the irrational fear stems from leaps in logic suggesting that equality is a direct reversal of racism; that is, rather than seeing equality as "quality of life for the subjugated goes up," they see it as "quality of life for the majority goes down." Perspective is a dwindling resource these days.

You've said it far better than i did. Its also rearing itself in the business process of a lot of companies. "We didn't meet projections so we suffered a loss." No you didn't.

esms

I've sworn off race/cop threads, but let me tell you, I know how good I got it because of my pigmentation. I could tell you stories upon stories of where I am pretty sure I received the benefit of the doubt because of my race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom