• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric

So this image popped up on my news feed, some girl I know posted it..

11329989_10153296772285734_420453284743604592_n.jpg

there's like two black people in the comments agreeing with the pic and sharing it on their walls, is it me that's thinking too deep into this or is this pic hella dumb? one even said it's not about race, but it specifically says 3 black men in the pic. is there any way to interpret this and not be offended?

akira28

some people aren't ready to get that deep. once you stop sympathizing with the system and start thinking about the people, you stop being so proud of being one of the other two and start empathizing and wanting save the third.

Slayven

there's like two black people in the comments agreeing with the pic and sharing it on their walls, is it me that's thinking too deep into this or is this pic hella dumb? one even said it's not about race, but it specifically says 3 black men in the pic. is there any way to interpret this and not be offended?

some people aren't ready to get that deep. once you stop sympathizing with the system and start thinking about the people, you stop being so proud of being one of the other two and start empathizing and wanting save the third.

Damn you got me ready to throw a trash can through a Pizza Hut window

Trey

it's dumb.

RedSwirl

Do we even know the details of the case in that picture?

Trey

Five minute excerpt on The Atlantic of an interesting-looking video documentary

Hopefully it hasn't already been posted. :x

The pressure on the black male from his own community is formidable. It makes finding your sense of self that much more difficult.

At first I didn't like the back turned gimmick, but the less you zero in on those unique features that makes a person an individual, the more these testimonies become more than one perspective, but the story of thousands. These confessions of weakness juxtaposed against the image of the shoulders which bear these issues is an inspired framing device.

Young Magus

The pressure on the black male from his own community is formidable. It makes finding your sense of self that much more difficult.

At first I didn't like the back turned gimmick, but the less you zero in on those unique features that makes a person an individual, the more these testimonies become more than one perspective, but the story of thousands.

ohhh.png

ohhh.png

Read the hooker thread and was like this

NvsWTUZ.gif

*looks at thread*

3l4d-png.1474

Yo.........why would you share shit like that.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Eloquent, the OP of that thread straight up said he spent his last bit of dough on a hooker and Splatoon. No one even asked, he just laid it out there.

So he's either a master troll or (more likely) just...yeah.

ReiGun

Man really decided Splatoon and sex were worth starving for a month. And then didn't even have sex. And tried to cuss out a pimp over poor marketing. And woke up missing an eyebrow somehow.

This is...a lot.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Man really decided Splatoon and sex were worth starving for a month. And then didn't even have sex. And tried to cuss out a pimp over poor marketing. And woke up missing an eyebrow somehow.

This is...a lot.
Lol poor marketing. Dude should sue for false advertising.

Young Magus

This is...a lot.

I heard splatoon was good but......
food money comes first man.....
I don't even..... like... how do some folks manage to live day-to-day on this site b

Village

Shit like that hooker thread is one of the reasons people don't respect "gamers". I mean dude has no food, is going through a breakup and he's out here spending all his dough on Splatoon and trying to save a ho...

BCT has the best history?

They went Detective on him damn?

Detective? nope, he revealed all that himself. Apparently only has 29 dollars left to spend on food

Also, that mouse killing thread is going places, some people set fire to the vermin, others electrocute them, one person trained the vermin to think of the traps as food and then wiped them out

Bubba T

After last years NBA Finals, I decided to take a break from sports in general, as I thought reading up on this stuff everyday was starting to make me feel "stupid". I missed pretty much all of the NFL, NBA, and NHL seasons, and only listened to the His and Hers podcast. I just started listening to First Take again, and wow I feel like there is no growth there. It sounds exactly the same, with the exact same rhetoric and faux outrage spewed by SAS and Bayless.

What a croc.

akira28

Detective? nope, he revealed all that himself. Apparently only has 29 dollars left to spend on food

Also, that mouse killing thread is going places, some people set fire to the vermin, others electrocute them, one person trained the vermin to think of the traps as food and then wiped them out

that last one is so fucking diabolical. You feel like that's some Stanford Research Institute type shit there. Like that shit would work on humans. Like that shit was originally tried on humans first.

Village

that last one is so fucking diabolical. You feel like that's some Stanford Research Institute type shit there. Like that shit would work on humans. Like that shit was originally tried on humans first.
Like M.O.D.O.K posted that, like he posted that after doing that on A.I.M personnel.

andthebeatgoeson

After last years NBA Finals, I decided to take a break from sports in general, as I thought reading up on this stuff everyday was starting to make me feel "stupid". I missed pretty much all of the NFL, NBA, and NHL seasons, and only listened to the His and Hers podcast. I just started listening to First Take again, and wow I feel like there is no growth there. It sounds exactly the same, with the exact same rhetoric and faux outrage spewed by SAS and Bayless.

What a croc.
Found the problem. Would recommend taking two Zack Lowe articles and call me in the morning.

Espn commentators are a cancer. But, if their drivel is enough to push you away from watching the games, maybe you do need to take a break.

andthebeatgoeson

If you want better understanding of the games, grant land is probably the right analysis and the right schedule. 24 hour sports is too much. They start breaking out Michael 'who wants some crack' Irvin on HBO's inside the NFL and you know we've fallen. Can't stand his 'I'll laugh and say something' analysis. Just know that sports is big business and the great white hype for television's decrepit corpse and just watch the games. Or watch them with the sound off and a local radio station (usually northeast city) on.

Trey

Grantland has some solid writers. I've been an avid reader since it launched. Never much cared for Simmons' articles, but he sure collected some talent.

Barnwell's only weakness is how much he hocks ESPN's bootleg QBR stat.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just got retweeted by Chuck D, MH Williams, The Black Guy Who Tips, Adam Boyes and Josh Holmes. I should just go back to bed, this day won't get ANY BETTER.

Bubba T

Found the problem. Would recommend taking two Zack Lowe articles and call me in the morning.

Espn commentators are a cancer. But, if their drivel is enough to push you away from watching the games, maybe you do need to take a break.

lol.

Yeah, I used to be an avid listener to the show, but around the middle of 2013 I felt that it was too much, bordering on worship watching ESPN. That started to spill over when I started watching games. The rituals, the treatment of athletes as "saviors" and the talk about a player moving from one team to another is the equivalent of the world ending, and the constant bombardment of 1-2 topics spewing for nearly weeks on end became too much for me. It's part of the reason I decided to stop watching/listening to ESPN.

If you want better understanding of the games, grant land is probably the right analysis and the right schedule. 24 hour sports is too much. They start breaking out Michael 'who wants some crack' Irvin on HBO's inside the NFL and you know we've fallen. Can't stand his 'I'll laugh and say something' analysis. Just know that sports is big business and the great white hype for television's decrepit corpse and just watch the games. Or watch them with the sound off and a local radio station (usually northeast city) on.

I enjoyed Grantland, but when I quit, I wanted to get away completely. I stopped listening/watching/reading everything related to that network from June-February (with few exceptions, I had to read Simmons article on Goodell because it was hilarious). Coming back to it now, I'm becoming more aware on how much our society is dependent on sports, to the point of fanaticism.

I'll have to read some Lowe articles to catch up.

Zach Lowe is the truth. Written word and podcast. I'd fight for that man.

In other news...the graphic novel KS is up. Wish me luck, fam.

I'm getting some serious Harmony of a Hunter vibes from that music snippet. Good luck, bish!

Fake edit: oh well fuck, he was the sound designer for Metroid Prime, no wonder. You have that dude working on this?

zUBRmvh.png

Real edit: lol at the "eaten by a dinosaur in the comic" goal. Reminds me of something they did back during the Homestuck videogame kickstarter where people who submitted $10,000 would have a character of theirs show up in the comic, and a $50,000 submission would have them survive for more than one panel. He had to lock out the upper echelons because two people actually did the ten grand one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom