• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

I just can't anymore. This is fucking heartbreaking.

Video of MORE black children harassed by cops at public pool. 12 YEAR OLD GIRL has her jaw broken by cop throwing her against police car. Random racist passer-by allowed to partake in abuse without being reprimanded by the officers.

I just can't. How can you hear those screams and continue to be such monsters?

(Warning: the link is MediaTakeout)
Yeah, i just watched a segment about this on the young turks, really sad stuff.

RedSwirl

Good luck. Job searching is probably the roughest exercise I have been through in life. Worse than my divorce.

Am I the only one who's been doing it for three years?

Watching American Sniper...

I know folks be Anti-Military but this movie really doesn't say "YAY military" to me. Just seems like the typical war is fucked up story not worth protesting over.

I hear some people are not pleased because it supposedly sanitizes Kline's character and opinions compared to the book.

Now women on twitter are going at Deray over the TNC article. I'm not one to complain about twitter mobs or that weak bullshit, but I really wish some people would read what's actually written and not what they want to see.

Now women on twitter are going at Deray over the TNC article. I'm not one to complain about twitter mobs or that weak bullshit, but I really wish some people would read what's actually written and not what they want to see.

Deray seems to be handling himself alright. His reaction seems to fall on the positive side of neutral, in the "You're talking, I'm listening, I'm learning, and I never caped for this woman in the first place" category.

But as one of the twitter people said, he would have understood instantly if it was Ronald Dolezal.

Michael Arceneaux on Twitter said:
‏@deray And I highly doubt this many Black men would be penning pieces in defense of a Ronald Dolezal or telling folks how to feel.

I mean, Chet Haze proved that, /everyone/ ripped him apart.

Right now, a lot of black women want everyone to rip Rachel Dolezal apart, and the fact that not only is it /not/ happening, but the fact that a lot of people who are respected in the black community (Rev. Al Sharpton, Kareem Abdul Jabarr, Melissa Harris Perry) are treating the woman with kid gloves or wondering what the freakout is all about or actually defending her is frustrating. I admit, I thought she was just a freakshow at first, but this shit is out of hand. The woman is a fraud, and is shitting all over black women of all shades.

What Coates did was rightly emphasize the importance of the death of Kalief Browder and other victims over the fraudulence of Dolezal.

Ta-Nehisi Coates said:
“I think race is oppression,” writes Richard Seymour, “and nothing else.” Indeed. It is the oppression that matters. In that sense, I care not one iota what Rachel Dolezal does nor what she needs to label herself. I care solely, totally, and completely about what this society does to my son, because of its need to label him.

But as a result, he unwittingly deemphasized the frustration of a lot of black women (many of whom have marched and protested) over what they feel is erasure.

Deray seems to be handling himself alright. His reaction seems to fall on the positive side of neutral, in the "You're talking, I'm listening, I'm learning, and I never caped for this woman in the first place" category.

But as one of the twitter people said, he would have understood instantly if it was Ronald Dolezal.

I mean, Chet Haze proved that, /everyone/ ripped him apart.

Right now, a lot of black women want everyone to rip Rachel Dolezal apart, and the fact that not only is it /not/ happening, but the fact that a lot of people who are respected in the black community (Rev. Al Sharpton, Kareem Abdul Jabarr, Melissa Harris Perry) are treating the woman with kid gloves or wondering what the freakout is all about or actually defending her is frustrating. I admit, I thought she was just a freakshow at first, but this shit is out of hand. The woman is a fraud, and is shitting all over black women of all shades.

What Coates did was rightly emphasize the importance of the death of Kalief Browder and other victims over the fraudulence of Dolezal.

But as a result, he unwittingly deemphasized the frustration of a lot of black women (many of whom have marched and protested) over what they feel is erasure.

Well, it's like I said I understand where the anger comes from, but I also think people who have been following or reading TNC should know that wasn't his intent. You have dudes out there calling him a piece of shit over this. Personally, I think the Dolezal Shuffle is so absurd that everyone should have just told her to shut up and keep moving, but unsurprisingly you get the ash faction of almost exclusively men saying we should leave her alone and holding her up when they regularly bash black women. TNC is not one of the ash piles however, and shouldn't be treated as such.

I mean, when Charlemagne feels like she should be accepted, you know that's the wrong side. I didn't hear about Sharpton or Jabbar, but hearing Melissa Harris-Perry lend Soul Woman credibility was heartbreaking. Also, hearing her talk really amplified my confusion as to how she was able to get by.

Well, it's like I said I understand where the anger comes from, but I also think people who have been following or reading TNC should know that wasn't his intent. You have dudes out there calling him a piece of shit over this. Personally, I think the Dolezal Shuffle is so absurd that everyone should have just told her to shut up and keep moving, but unsurprisingly you get the ash faction of almost exclusively men saying we should leave her alone and holding her up when they regularly bash black women. TNC is not one of the ash piles however, and shouldn't be treated as such.

I mean, when Charlemagne feels like she should be accepted, you know that's the wrong side. I didn't hear about Sharpton or Jabbar, but hearing Melissa Harris-Perry lend Soul Woman credibility was heartbreaking. Also, hearing her talk really amplified my confusion as to how she was able to get by.

Right, TNC is not out here to demean or dismiss black women at all.

I can see how MHP softballed Dolezal, though. One, she's trying too hard to be intellectual about the whole thing. Two, she's a light-skinned woman. She might have been thinking "People question my blackness sometimes, maybe this woman has black ancestry too!" Three, she might have figured that going hard would make the interview end real quickly. Dolezal is cunning enough to walk out when things aren't fitting her narrative, and would have tried to make MHP look bad in the process.

Slayven

Charlemange is one those dudes you instantly want to take the opposite side on shit. But once in a blue moon he says something profound. Like abotu Chinx death.

Merc_

http://theblackguywhotips.podomatic.com/entry/2015-06-16T17_50_46-07_00

The Black Guy Who Tips damn near went 2 full hours on this fuckery, and broke down a lot of shit. Like how Howard counter sued her and won.

This is the good stuff. Full applause for calling out the black dudes that are defending her and letting it slide. I'm so sick of watching black dudes throw away their dignity in order to try and get with a white woman. So many of us will let a white women get away with shit that we would never let a white dude just walk away from.

I'm seeing this reaction on Twitter and have to ask: did you actually read the article

Praying your resume doesn't end up in that great trash can in the sky.

Why?

May I ask why?

It seems like people are angry because by Coates saying the Dolezal story is less important, he's discounting people's anger over it. I don't think he is, and I think the main point of that article is that the media is hyping the shit out of her story while burying/avoiding the McKinney pool incident, Kalief Browder, etc. There are also a lot of ashy motherfuckers who are trying to give Dolezal a "pass" while they're also the first ones to shit on black women and ignore how hard they go for us, so the anger from that is compounding it.

Yeah, my disappointment is him unknowingly adding to that "pass" fire. I'm happy about how he's taking the reaction though.

If it wasn't for the amount of dumbasses caping for Rachel, I would have had no problem with the article. But I feel like that was a surprising moment of unawareness on Ta-Nehisi's part.

I will say this though, the people who are saying he "only cares about black men" are DEFINITELY ignoring numerous parts of the article. That's not the problem. The problem was the perception that he was deflecting the impact Rachel's bs had on black women. He shouldn't have even come close to that. I see his point, but with what has been happening as of late, he stepped on a mine.

Dave Grohl's documentary Sonic Highways is doing a good job showing how most American music is greatly influences by the black community. In the second episode Dave shows how Bad Brains was influential to the Washington D.C. punk scene. I just thought they were a part of it but they took the pre-existing punk and turned into a heavier and faster art form. They also went away from it being political and just made music about being a teenager.

looking around on google's new real time Trends site and surprised that Farrah Abraham was the top searched actor of May
nvm was looking at it wrong, she was the most trending not most searched

Onemic

I'm assuming that someone got caught in the playing a character that isnt the same complexion as you? That thread is blowing up now

Dave Grohl's documentary Sonic Highways is doing a good job showing how most American music is greatly influences by the black community. In the second episode Dave shows how Bad Brains was influential to the Washington D.C. punk scene. I just thought they were a part of it but they took the pre-existing punk and turned into a heavier and faster art form. They also went away from it being political and just made music about being a teenager.

Havent heard of Bad Brains before. Changing that

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Sucks that every single tragedy turns into an opportunity for people to spout off about their political beliefs. This goes for all sides. Even sides that I happen to agree with. Not even dropping a token "RIP" before going off into some tangent about some belief you have. Atleast pretend to give a damn about the dead and their families.

RP912

Banned
I looked through the church shooting thread and just shook my head viciously. People just don't have the common decency to put the bullshit aside and think of the lives that were lost. The only thing you can do is maintain, get prayed up, and play some Dota because this type of shit happens everyday :/.

My prayers go out to the families.

The church thread is a good example of how Gaf is. People die, but we have people arguing over hurt feelings because someone said white people are crazy and gun control noise. It slays me when threads like that turn into political ones and when people try to defuse it, they get even more frustrated and think you're working on some "agenda."

Fucking people, man.

Let me step away from that SC church thread before I really say some shit that will get me banned. Tired of this dumb shit happening. Motherfuckas will be in a thread about how a black person deserved to get killed for some small shit and then go on a victim blaming campaign about what black people should do to avoid getting killed by cops but praise cops for doing their jobs "right" when it comes to a racist white mass murderer.

Slayven

Shes was in Cosby show right? Did she whitened herself or what?

985fV0md.jpg

tumblr_lyjozetj7O1qlw12eo1_500.png

andthebeatgoeson

Ain't no foundation can get you there.

Besides the church thread, watch out for the nj police thread. Dude shot his wife, handed over the kid and was allowed to finish his wife off with a few more shots. I'm just glad the rest of the police didn't start shooting at the dying wife.

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah, my disappointment is him unknowingly adding to that "pass" fire. I'm happy about how he's taking the reaction though.

If it wasn't for the amount of dumbasses caping for Rachel, I would have had no problem with the article. But I feel like that was a surprising moment of unawareness on Ta-Nehisi's part.

I will say this though, the people who are saying he "only cares about black men" are DEFINITELY ignoring numerous parts of the article. That's not the problem. The problem was the perception that he was deflecting the impact Rachel's bs had on black women. He shouldn't have even come close to that. I see his point, but with what has been happening as of late, he stepped on a mine.

Uh, okay. What part of the article do you feel like he gave her a pass? I interpreted it as, stop being distracted by fuckery, here is the real issue and story.

Let me step away from that SC church thread before I really say some shit that will get me banned. Tired of this dumb shit happening. Motherfuckas will be in a thread about how a black person deserved to get killed for some small shit and then go on a victim blaming campaign about what black people should do to avoid getting killed by cops but praise cops for doing their jobs "right" when it comes to a racist white mass murderer.

I'm so tired. The same song and dance EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I will say, that domestic terrorist needs to die. Sat in a prayer meeting for an hour, where some kindhearted folks probably welcomed him think "Oh a soul needing some Jesus," got up and shot them.

Spend the rest of his life in jail? Mental Illness? Don't know the entire picture? Accountability not fully determined?

Give me a got damn break.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Something about violence at a church seems to supersede all racial barriers down here. The conservative radio hosts down here were comparing the shooter in SC to ISIS, saying he should have been gunned down on sight.

Imm0rt4l

"I don't think this is an act of terrorism"

How some people still have gaf accounts with the sheer amount of ignorance they display is amazing, really

The conservative radio hosts down here were comparing the shooter in SC to ISIS, saying he should have been gunned down on sight.
A lot of people (understandably) want him dead and point out the double standard with how the shooter was handled, but...I guess I'm in the minority that wouldn't want him to be given the easy way out. If you're dead, you're dead. You don't really have to live with any consequences. It's a mercy.

Kreed

Something about violence at a church seems to supersede all racial barriers down here. The conservative radio hosts down here were comparing the shooter in SC to ISIS, saying he should have been gunned down on sight.

Then they'll get home, get their marching orders from Fox News, and be "back on track" tomorrow morning.

Imm0rt4l

A lot of people (understandably) want him dead and point out the double standard with how the shooter was handled, but...I guess I'm in the minority that wouldn't want him to be given the easy way out. If you're dead, you're dead. You don't really have to live with any consequences. It's a mercy

Same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom