• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Does successful communication in a relationship mean you bluntly say everything that comes to mind? Not even bluntly, you can take that out. I think communication is more than just expressing every single feeling and thought. Sometimes people can't take what you think about them. Sometimes actually caring about someone's feelings supercedes your own, as well as your "duty" to communicate said feelings.

Does successful communication in a relationship mean you bluntly say everything that comes to mind? Not even bluntly, you can take that out. I think communication is more than just expressing every single feeling and thought. Sometimes people can't take what you think about them. Sometimes actually caring about someone's feelings supercedes your own, as well as your "duty" to communicate said feelings.

I talk about my feelings TBH. "Yeah I wanna do that/No I don't feel comfortable doing that" and etc. No need to be blunt, but being open and honest is never a bad thing.

I think if it's not common in your relationship and/or the significant other can't take warnings, criticisms, etc. specifically prefacing it with the fact that you just want to be open or honest about how you feel should help at least a little. I have a pretty forward relationship where we both meticulously make sure we're sharing our feelings with one another, and while we've had disagreements, occasional fights, etc. it's become an amazingly strong partnership - and there's really no one "silver bullet" or anything that could magically dismantle the whole thing the way some relationships can be because they let themselves get too emotionally precarious.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I talk about my feelings TBH. "Yeah I wanna do that/No I don't feel comfortable doing that" and etc. No need to be blunt, but being open and honest is never a bad thing.

I think if it's not common in your relationship and/or the significant other can't take warnings, criticisms, etc. specifically prefacing it with the fact that you just want to be open or honest about how you feel should help at least a little. I have a pretty forward relationship where we both meticulously make sure we're sharing our feelings with one another, and while we've had disagreements, occasional fights, etc. it's become an amazingly strong partnership - and there's really no one "silver bullet" or anything that could magically dismantle the whole thing the way some relationships can be because they let themselves get too emotionally precarious.
But we are emotional creatures. How does one find that right balance of not caring enough and caring enough?

zeemumu

But we are emotional creatures. How does one find that right balance of not caring enough and caring enough?

The perfect balance is to have an awareness of your surroundings and the goings on of other people's lives, and the ability to be important in their lives while still having a life of your own. You shouldn't crumble and die if you're on your own and you shouldn't let the world burn while you do your own thing. I would always boomerang between the extremes of the two by either being a recluse or only existing to help others. I've gotten better at not doing that.

When you got people your age trying to say we should remember Cosby's legacy instead the horrible things he did....I just.....so disappointed....

Does anyone think the head nod to fellow black strangers is weird. Why do we do it? Is it just innate? Lol reminds me of that Dave chapelle skit about the airplane jacking.

You know what I did that today when leaving my potential job today and thought it was weird at first but I actually like it. There's a sense of brotherhood every time it happens. Like "I see you bruh, be easy".

Does anyone think the head nod to fellow black strangers is weird. Why do we do it? Is it just innate? Lol reminds me of that Dave chapelle skit about the airplane jacking.

PD trolling as usual

We do that because for mot of our history we have been disenfranchised and not recognized by society. Its also the reason for some many of our problems because so many of us need to be "seen"

Tyga always taking Ls.

lol @ roy

Shit, I always asked myself why I did that to black people I didn't know. Anyone else is just a casual hi or we pass without a word, but there is always a nod or sup if its another black person.

And yea, I know a few hispanics that do it too.

When I was in college, blacks were 1 or 2 percent of the student population. Damn straight we head nodded. It was a "We Made It!" sign. Hell, I nodded to the black staff and workers, too.

TYGA YAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!

SHOW US ALL OF THAT 5 DOLLAR FOOT LONG!!!!

Royalan, you're too old for Tyga.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Bout to broil a steak
Make some homemade fries
And cook up some broccoli for this celebration man.

Been saving 5.77 on steak for this special occasion. Imma enjoy my day.

Well, I didn't really get the pics. I woke up this morning and they were in my Tumblr feed, but I thought they were fake.

You guys talking about it confirmed they're real,
shit, hell if I know. Not my cup of tea. One thing I do know is that tyga slippen, well actually he been slippen lol.

Kourtney always been the sensible one. Even then I can save her
white knight gonna be your super hero name. That's like a triple entendre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom