• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tears from these Bernie stans are delicious. Right when their dude (and O'Malley) screw up, that same old paternalistic bullshit pops up.

Sorry guys, ya man has to earn votes.

RP912

Banned
What did I miss about Bernie Sanders? Dude came out of no where and his track record looks promising, unless he did some shit to get the boot...

What did I miss about Bernie Sanders? Dude came out of no where and his track record looks promising, unless he did some shit to get the boot...

It's what he didn't do. His stances on economics are well known, but everything else is like secondary to him.

And that came to the forefront when people from #BlackLivesMatter showed up to Netroots Nation recently. O'Malley, another Democratic candidate, screwed up big time (all lives matter shit), but was willing to discuss things like police brutality, racial inequality, etc.

Bernie on the other hand gave some "what had happened" junk, and then cancelled his speech.

They both took massive Ls, and now heads are trying to cape hard.

Candidates that aim for different demos in speeches are candidates who don't win.

Black twitter is like Ether on the internets. They will roast your ass, make your soul burn slow, and get you on radio crying what went wrong.

But yeah Martin is a joke

Slayven

Black twitter is like Ether on the internets. They will roast your ass, make your soul burn slow, and get you on radio crying what went wrong.

But yeah Martin is a joke

Black Twitter is like Matter and ANtimatter existing in the same space the same time. So much fuckery should not coexist with so much good.

RP912

Banned
It's what he didn't do. His stances on economics are well known, but everything else is like secondary to him.

And that came to the forefront when people from #BlackLivesMatter showed up to Netroots Nation recently. O'Malley, another Democratic candidate, screwed up big time (all lives matter shit), but was willing to discuss things like police brutality, racial inequality, etc.

Bernie on the other hand gave some "what had happened" junk, and then cancelled his speech.

Candidates that aim for different demos in speeches are candidates who don't win.

Meh...I'm team Hilary anyway. I knew it was too good to be true where dude basically wanted to give everybody what they want.

I wish Obama did some Watchmen shit and get a third term :(. I'm going to miss the guy.

Slayven

Meh...I'm team Hilary anyway. I knew it was too good to be true where dude basically wanted to give everybody what they want.

I wish Obama did some Watchmen shit and get a third term :(. I'm going to miss the guy.

To quote Rod from the Black Guy who Tips "Wheeewww,, y'all going to miss him when he is gone".

harSon

Banned
Brown Bomber

bomber+2.jpg

Slayven

Thanks Slayven. Now my friend is satisfied.

Better with context

Black Lightning creator Tony Isabella explains it best in his essay Black Lightning and Me , part of which I quote here:

"I created Black Lightning after convincing DC not to publish another "black" super-hero on which they had started work. The Black Bomber was a white bigot who, in times of stress, turned into a black super-hero. This was the result of chemical camouflage experiments he'd taken part in as a soldier in Vietnam. The object of these experiments was to allow our [white] troops to blend into the jungle. In each of the two completed Black Bomber scripts, the white bigot risks his own life to save another person whom he can't see clearly (in one case, a baby in a stroller) and then reacts in racial slur disgust when he discovers that he risked his life to save a black person. He wasn't aware that he had two identities, but each identity had a girlfriend and the ladies were aware of the change. To add final insult, the Bomber's costume was little more than a glorified basketball uniform. DC had wanted me to take over writing the book with the third issue. I convinced them to eat the two scripts and let me start over. To paraphrase my arguments... "Do you REALLY want DC's first black super-hero to be a white bigot?""

royalan

Is there a thread for this? Where is this happening?

About Bernie Sanders:

Sanders was down with SNCC back in the day, and put in the work /then/. The Black Lives Matter activists are mostly young and are more concerned with what he is doing /now/. Not to mention that their focus is on police brutality and racist jail sentencing and his focus is on economic issues.

Ironically, SNCC felt betrayed by the Kennedy/Johnson Administrations and the SCLC when the Civil Rights Act was passed.

John Lewis said:
"We march today for jobs and freedom, but we have nothing to be proud of, for hundreds and thousands of our brothers are not here — for they have no money for their transportation, for they are receiving starvation wages...or no wages at all. In good conscience, we cannot support the administration's civil rights bill.

This bill will not protect young children and old women from police dogs and fire hoses when engaging in peaceful demonstrations. This bill will not protect the citizens of Danville, Virginia who must live in constant fear in a police state. This bill will not protect the hundreds of people who have been arrested on trumped-up charges like those in Americus, Georgia, where four young men are in jail, facing a death penalty, for engaging in peaceful protest.

I want to know, which side is the federal government on? The revolution is a serious one. Mr. Kennedy is trying to take the revolution out of the streets and put it in the courts. Listen Mr. Kennedy, the black masses are on the march for jobs and for freedom, and we must say to the politicians that there won't be a 'cooling-off period."

I posit that Black Lives Matter might be SNCC 2.0, in some ways. What goes around comes around.

Slayven

About Bernie Sanders:

Sanders was down with SNCC back in the day, and put in the work /then/. The Black Lives Matter activists are mostly young and are more concerned with what he is doing /now/. Not to mention that their focus is on police brutality and racist jail sentencing and his focus is on economic issues.

Ironically, SNCC felt betrayed by the Kennedy/Johnson Administrations and the SCLC when the Civil Rights Act was passed.

I posit that Black Lives Matter might be SNCC 2.0, in some ways. What goes around comes around.

is that good or bad?

is that good or bad?

I could be wrong about this. And I really don't know if this is good or bad. SNCC ended up kicking out all the white people and going Black Power. Then they faded away in the 70s. I think that Black Lives Matter is just as prickly about white allies but also smarter about dealing with them. They also are less "organized", in that there are no meetings and chapters, etc, but there are obvious people who are pushing things forward (DeRay and Netta and others). Social media gives them an edge that the older movement didn't have.

So Bernie Sanders is Ron Paul for liberals confirmed?

Kappa

Hmm, that's a good one. I think that Ron Paul is a touch more selfish than Bernie Sanders. Ironically, they are firing up the same group of people - white college students.

jmood88

Like many other white liberals, he believes that his policies alone will help black people while ignoring the fact that "colorblind" policy has never been as good for black people (or any other minority) as it is for whites.

jmood88

The types of attitudes people have in that thread whenever people criticize Bernie is why, despite the fact that I'm as liberal as can be, I never interacted with any of the "young democrats' groups on campus or do many things with white liberals. They are just as oblivious to racial issues as republicans but the bad thing is that they actually think that they're being helpful and that we just need to shut up and vote for who they want us to vote for.

Young Magus

I will take the L on that. Sanders is on that great white hope level. I will lay in the cut and chuckle when shit gets real.

Bonus to the all the think pieces coming that says black voters need to be dick riding Sanders and thank God for the opportunity.

Yo I liked what you were trying to do and I do believe that Sanders does need to bring race issues/polices into his verbal platform....but ya coulda gotten better evidence/reason besides going off an answer to that question.

And *shudder* at thinking bout those think pieces

Oh, and just to throw fuel on the Sanders' fire: http://www.vox.com/2015/5/27/8671135/bernie-sanders-race

I get the feeling that Bernie Sanders wouldn't be bad, but the man is just tone def to black issues at a time when black activists are extra sensitive, for obvious reasons. And that just makes him look like Hilary Clinton did in 2008. He is right that an improved economic situation would help black people, but that's only half the equation. Sandra Bland was a college educated woman and that didn't stop those police from killing her. Henry Louis Gates' neighbors called the cops on him. And I know there are many other incidents where rich and/or educated blacks were killed or arrested because of systemic racism that money and diplomas could not stop.

And please remember, black activists are extra sensitive. Social media is giving them a HUGE voice and they are not afraid to throw metaphorical bows against white liberals and progressives. So a white politician saying "All Lives Matter" or not reacting fast enough to black concerns (even if they really do care about black concerns) is going to get shredded.

Slayven

Oh, and just to throw fuel on the Sanders' fire: http://www.vox.com/2015/5/27/8671135/bernie-sanders-race

I get the feeling that Bernie Sanders wouldn't be bad, but the man is just tone def to black issues at a time when black activists are extra sensitive, for obvious reasons. And that just makes him look like Hilary Clinton did in 2008. He is right that an improved economic situation would help black people, but that's only half the equation. Sandra Bland was a college educated woman and that didn't stop those police from killing her. Henry Louis Gates' neighbors called the cops on him. And I know there are many other incidents where rich and/or educated blacks were killed or arrested because of systemic racism that money and diplomas could not stop.

And please remember, black activists are extra sensitive. Social media is giving them a HUGE voice and they are not afraid to throw metaphorical bows against white liberals and progressives. So a white politician saying "All Lives Matter" or not reacting fast enough to black concerns (even if they really do care about black concerns) is going to get shredded.
that what bothers me about liberals is that they voted for obama and so they are either versed in race issues or down for the cause. Basically like Bill Mohr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom