• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
If BCT ever gets merchandise I want a Chia Pet sort of thing where it's a bust of Roy's head, but it grows out guacamole dipping sauce.

I picture Roy as being hella tall and lanky but having them legs, tho

Slayven

If BCT ever gets merchandise I want a Chia Pet sort of thing where it's a bust of Roy's head, but it grows out guacamole dipping sauce.

I picture Roy as being hella tall and lanky but having them legs, tho

latest

EloquentM

aka Mannny
If you're black
You might hit presidency,
Only to be undermined endlessly.
Your plight belittled in the face of similar movements,
Vilified by most cause dark skin makes you ruthless.
Overlooked for jobs due to your name.
Overlooked in dating because of your race.
Entertainment is likely your only claim to fame.
Limited opportunities allow stereotypes to be framed.
Always aggressive, always uncooperative, passiveness is expected.
The fight for your rights leaves the masses offended.
Petted like an animal your implied sub-human status.
Hurricane relief never came you're floating on a mattress.
In a sea of cultural disparity you're told racisms ended.
Complained to about a month like the world ain't Anglo centric.
Evidence accrues and your accused of stunting change.
It's a fact: racial perceptions remain, always,
when you're black.

If you're black
You're Accused of imposing on history,
As if the heritage ain't filthy.
Told to ignore civil war, Jim Crowe, lynchings, their trigger fingers itching.
You grew up with it, at a young age you stopped flinching.
Inventors, innovators, it's peanuts to me.
Our only contribution is slang and baggy jeans.
Cool and uncouth at the same time,
You're appropriated and told it's no moral crime.
Fetishized, Grossly characterized, it's minstrel time!
Big lips, charcoal skin, we use to be kings.
Our faces, legacy, deformed on the Sphinx.
Nowadays shits changed, you might be profiled as a thug.
Might get profiled as a monkey because of your mug.
Dehumanizing stare, black life isn't fair, politics about hair.
Your crimes warrant brutal beatings and broken backs.
Won't get shot if it's melanin you lack,
End up in a bag,
Dead, cause you're black.

I've been going through that rare and crazy historical photos thread and I thought these ones were particularly interesting:

Great thread but couldn't see a single Ottoman related photo in a history thread. Here I come!

Turkish officers give a saluting farewell to the last sultanate of the Ottoman Empire(1922)
8KrqOcU.jpg

First black pilot in history, [Ahmet Ali Çelikten] WWI - Ottoman Empire
Ahmet_Ali_Celikten_in_flight_suit.jpg

llYUHHg.jpg

Martin Luther King Jr. & other Civil Rights leaders meeting with President John F. Kennedy & Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson in the Oval Office during the Civil Rights March.

SBuu7eL.jpg

A Civil Rights demonstration in the 60s, an African-American woman stares down a man donning the Confederate flag on his hard-hat.

the white people mtv show was weak, cant believe people were getting upset over the show, it didnt make "white people look bad" at all.

i dont know what to say if something seriously offended you on that show

That thread about the black women doing spoken word is going just like I expected it would. SMH.

Edit: the next time we need a basketball legend to speak for us can we have Kareem Abdul-Jabbar instead of Charles Barkley.

JLynn

Meant to do this months ago,

Where you're from - North Philly
Where you live - Different part of Philly
What is your age? - 29
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - African American
Do you know your roots - Nope
Favorite musical genre - Rap, J Rock
Your profession/major/career interest - N/A
Your religious affiliation - Is PlatinumGames a religion? Cuz I'm a devout follower.
Hobbies - Anime, Video Games, Comic Books
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's

North Philly? Respect.

Laws00

I'm going to make a thread about this but i'd like to ask you guys what kind of haircut do you guys get normally get?

I've been getting skin tight fades since as far as I can remember.

I keep thinking maybe I should get something else im 30. Maybe change it up but it still looks good on me. I don' even get a part. I just want to keep it simple

I would get mention beards but my job does not allow them until the season is over and by that time its No Shave November (ya im lazy)

I'm going to make a thread about this but i'd like to ask you guys what kind of haircut do you guys get normally get?

I keep thinking maybe I should get something else im 30. Maybe change it up but it still looks good on me. I don' even get a part. I just want to keep it simple

I would get mention beards but my job does not allow them until the season is over and by that time its No Shave November (ya im lazy)

I usually switch between the dark caesar, temp fade, shadow fade, and bald fade.

I get shadow fades, clean shaved.

Shaved/bald.

I have straight hair (wish I had tighter / curly hair tbh) so I usually just get high-and-tight cuts and occasionally slick the bangs back.

I really don't have time to hear about dude's insecurities in the face of harassment and violence on black women.

That shit pisses me off instantly.

Beyond that, question, anyone from the Miami-Dade area? I'm trying to figure out a way to go from Miami Airport to Ft. Lauderdale without renting a car. Is that possible?

I forget what it's called (might be 0A) but I ask for the first closest shave down from 1 and ask for an all over shave. No style but edged up. Works for me.

By the way, American Asshole X has been indicted on federal hate crime charges in addition to everything else. Hoping he gets convicted

Kreed

I really don't have time to hear about dude's insecurities in the face of harassment and violence on black women.

That shit pisses me off instantly.

Beyond that, question, anyone from the Miami-Dade area? I'm trying to figure out a way to go from Miami Airport to Ft. Lauderdale without renting a car. Is that possible?

If you're flying into Florida and it's not too late to change your tickets I'd switch to the Fort Lauderdale airport (much nicer than the Miami one IMO). Otherwise like Gordon said the Tri-Rail is your best option if you don't want to Uber/Taxi/Bus/Shuttle/etc...

Bald fade on the sides, dark ontop.

I grow out the top during the winter time.

JLynn

Close, even, with tight edges. Goatee in the warm seasons, medium chinstrap in the cold seasons.

I think the Tri-Rail?

250x400-map.png

If you're flying into Florida and it's not too late to change your tickets I'd switch to the Fort Lauderdale airport (much nicer than the Miami one IMO). Otherwise like Gordon said the Tri-Rail is your best option if you don't want to Uber/Taxi/Bus/Shuttle/etc...

Thanks guys, but looking at the distance, I totally didn't know what I was talking about.

I could easily get picked up by my brother.

its winter here, I let my dreads down and Im growing a manly beard

corn rows. 8 straight back.

RP912

Banned
Meant to do this months ago,

Where you're from - North Philly
Where you live - Different part of Philly
What is your age? - 29
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - African American
Do you know your roots - Nope
Favorite musical genre - Rap, J Rock
Your profession/major/career interest - N/A
Your religious affiliation - Is PlatinumGames a religion? Cuz I'm a devout follower.
Hobbies - Anime, Video Games, Comic Books
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Popeye's

Nice a fellow North Philly representer. Welcome :D

Dark fade and a round back. Sometimes I get my sideburns cut, but I prefer trimmed.

Young Magus

High Top Fade.

Order

Taper

seems like a huge uptick in confederate flags in SW GA this week.

huge in size to, as i was used to seeing small flags and vanity front plates but now people are speeding around with full sized flags mounted to their trucks all week.

huge in size to, as i was used to seeing small flags and vanity front plates but now people are speeding around with full sized flags mounted to their trucks all week.

Villa Rica, GA (Douglas County) here. Yeah, they're out in force. ESPECIALLY at Wal-marts.

Ironically, it's always these hulking pick-up trucks with the jacked up suspension and giant wheels too. HUGE flags flying in the wind.

Jacir

I think I need an explanation of when a person is labeled hotep? Been hearing it more lately and I'm assuming it's on another level than nublack.

I've been seeing them here in the Pensacola area too.

Want some irony? Im in Richmond, VA. The capital of the confederacy and honestly I've seen more Con Flags up closer to DC since I been down here. Its been a year. I think I've only seen 1 flag bumper sticker since being in Richmond.

Well damn, the confederate capital is more progressive than parts of the country lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom