• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tripped when that white girl and boy said they're being discriminated against in scholarships and they're are basically none for them and then the host talked to someone in the field and just laid out the facts.

Slayven

Well the genocide was pretty damn effective

It got to be soul crushing to literally see your whole race/people just evaporating. No wonder drug and alcoholism is crazy high for native Americans.

I tripped when that white girl and boy said they're being discriminated against in scholarships and they're are basically none for them and then the host talked to someone in the field and just laid out the facts.

That part too good, He actually found out White are actually getting more scholarships then they should by population

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It got to be soul crushing to literally see your whole race/people just evaporating. No wonder drug and alcoholism is crazy high for native Americans.
All the money in the world can't help you cope with your people being exterminated like pests. Sad part is I'm not even sure the majority of native Americans are getting paid like some of the ones here in so cal

Slayven

All the money in the world can't help you cope with your people being exterminated like pests. Sad part is I'm not even sure the majority of native Americans are getting paid like some of the ones here in so cal

nah I seen some documentaries on some tribes in the Midwest, and especially in Alaska, and a lot of them are hovering around the poverty line.

Dead honest, I'm thinking of getting a gun license. At least. Getting a gun in NYC is a difficult process, but my trust in the NYPD and cops in general is in the negatives.

Oh shit dude is going in "I don't see race" tagline. This is too good
0yUQkmd.gif

Young Magus

But he got some likes later.

"If white people had a county of our own, this wouldn't be happening". Good lord.

189.gif

*sigh*

.......I wanna say something smartass, snarky or misantropic but I can't bring myself to say something original.

But man, that portion of society really an't worth shit.

Shy

So I bought Elite: Dangerous for Xbox and damn if that game doesn't just kick you out the door and say "it's space nigga.......do something". No idea what I should be doing but its fun just looking at my space map and jumping from system to system. I'm going to have to watch some YouTube videos to figure out how to start "playing".
LOL, i felt the same when i played it on PC, i never fully got the hang of it, but i did get the basics down, kinda.
Thanks for the words last night everyone its going to a process to get me back to myself but I know I need to work on me now.
That's good to hear Nakazato.

Dereck

Here's another good post, from reddit

Imagine that you're sitting down to dinner with your family, and while everyone else gets a serving of the meal, you don't get any. So you say "I should get my fair share." And as a direct response to this, your dad corrects you, saying, "everyone should get their fair share." Now, that's a wonderful sentiment -- indeed, everyone should, and that was kinda your point in the first place: that you should be a part of everyone, and you should get your fair share also. However, dad's smart-ass comment just dismissed you and didn't solve the problem that you still haven't gotten any!

The problem is that the statement "I should get my fair share" had an implicit "too" at the end: "I should get my fair share, too, just like everyone else." But your dad's response treated your statement as though you meant "only I should get my fair share", which clearly was not your intention. As a result, his statement that "everyone should get their fair share," while true, only served to ignore the problem you were trying to point out.

That's the situation of the "black lives matter" movement. Culture, laws, the arts, religion, and everyone else repeatedly suggest that all lives should matter. Clearly, that message already abounds in our society.

The problem is that, in practice, the world doesn't work the way. You see the film Nightcrawler? You know the part where Renee Russo tells Jake Gyllenhal that she doesn't want footage of a black or latino person dying, she wants news stories about affluent white people being killed? That's not made up out of whole cloth -- there is a news bias toward stories that the majority of the audience (who are white) can identify with. So when a young black man gets killed (prior to the recent police shootings), it's generally not considered "news", while a middle-aged white woman being killed is treated as news. And to a large degree, that is accurate -- young black men are killed in significantly disproportionate numbers, which is why we don't treat it as anything new. But the result is that, societally, we don't pay as much attention to certain people's deaths as we do to others. So, currently, we don't treat all lives as though they matter equally.

Just like asking dad for your fair share, the phrase "black lives matter" also has an implicit "too" at the end: it's saying that black lives should also matter. But responding to this by saying "all lives matter" is willfully going back to ignoring the problem. It's a way of dismissing the statement by falsely suggesting that it means "only black lives matter," when that is obviously not the case. And so saying "all lives matter" as a direct response to "black lives matter" is essentially saying that we should just go back to ignoring the problem.

Imm0rt4l

They definitely don't in terms of colorism

Light skin dudes are told from day one they are soft and feminine. You play the same shit towards sisters, and people look at you like you just took down the trade towers.

Reposting from that hotep thread

Is this an actual thing? In terms of colorism in the black community do light skinned men have it worse than dark skinned women? I think dudes buggin. The fuck does being light skinned have to do with being feminine. You're feminine if you exhibit those qualities,like al b sure or prince. Not because you're light skinned. I think you'd be hard pressed to find girls say, "nah, I don't fuck with light skinned dudes". You may very well hear this of dark skinned men and women. This is some twilight zone shit.

Is this an actual thing? In terms of colorism in the black community do light skinned men have it worse than dark skinned women? I think dudes buggin. The fuck does being light skinned have to do with being feminine. You're feminine if you exhibit those qualities,like al b sure or prince. Not because you're light skinned. I think you'd be hard pressed to find girls say, "nah, I don't fuck with light skinned dudes". You may very well hear this of dark skinned men and women. This is some twilight zone shit.

Mr. Bean doesn't see color himself. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kreed

No. I will say the "light skin = soft" thing has gotten more exposure lately due to social media/hip hop media/etc... popularizing the whole "stop acting so light skin" thing, but most of it is in jest. Regardless, while Meso is right that these mindsets exist it's never been on the level of what dark skin women get.

No. I will say the "light skin = soft" thing has gotten more exposure lately due to social media/hip hop media/etc... popularizing the whole "stop acting so light skin" thing, but most of it is in jest. Regardless, while Meso is right that these mindsets exist it's never been on the level of what dark skin women get.

There's also the notion of Light-Skin women being bougie and stuff.

Slayven

Lol, beautiful

Maybe you should sit out the next two... jump back in next week.
Nah I LMAO over it.
you need to be more "mainstream" for gaf, too black for gaffers, you scaring them!
Dudes rre pulling my record, going through my history, and trying to get me on some "gotcha" shit. I am creating homework for people just by exisiting. It is too funny.

Surprisingly, I haven't heard of the term Hotep before. We all know of one but I never had a name for it.
yeah everyone knows one, hell they probably got one in the family.
That what you did..lol. Awoke the beast.
Let them be mad

RedSwirl

Through most of my life I never actually knew what Native American reservations looked like in the modern day, and once I actually got an idea of it on TV or whatever my heart sank.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Wait, you actually ask everyone you know if they are racist? I'll have to find odd.
when i meet someone new, i give them a small questionnaire card to fill out that will decide whether i want to get to know them:

-Are you racist: Y or N

-are you down with the hoteps - Y, N or M (maybe)

-should cosby be in jail: y or y (under the jail)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom