• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Rihanna is not just some pretty girl.

She's one of the finest women in Hollywood AND the next Queen of Pop. Homegirl is making music with Beatles. She's ABOVE the game.

She turns down A List niggas all the time. And she notoriously open about how she prefers to be single after that Breezy shit.

Either Leo has devoted his entire fortune to winning her over. Or he is slinging MAD dick...

If you think Rihanna is on Leo's level just because of a few records you are sadly mistaken

Slayven

If Rhianna and Leo are dating, they going to get married. And Alpha dog like Leo needs someone that can put him in check. And who is better at checking than the Commander of the Navy?

Slayven

Weren't Indians the ones who invented the math slayven is talking about?

The roots of algebra can be traced to the ancient Babylonians,[9] who developed an advanced arithmetical system with which they were able to do calculations in an algorithmic fashion

Now fire up Encarta and search for Babylon and see where it is

The crazy thing about ISIS destroying history and shit is that the old school Muslims were scholars and shit. They invented chess and some of that math that involves letters and shit.

I'd heard the same and I've always wondered at what point in time did the crazies become more dominant than the scholars and innovators

I'd heard the same and I've always wondered at what point in time did the crazies become more dominant than the scholars and innovators

probably around the time the crazies realized they could weaponize religion and the scholars and innovators wouldn't have the brawn to compete

B-2u7j7UEAAhyYF.jpg
Holy shit..lol. This is something else. What an idiot..

Slayven

There was a post about this on Gaf, and the summation was that it was a lot more recent than you would have thought. Like around 1900

Jacir

Now fire up Encarta and search for Babylon and see where it is

Yes I read that before. Too much reading wiki leads to no good if retainment isnt happrning.

Speaking about history... I don't mind playing a game based on the Ethiopian empire and the queen of Sheba. A Zulu empire based game would be cool too.

Scandal is a black woman's fantasy. Olivia Pope is intelligent, knowledgable, talented, fashionably dressed, and lusted after by incredibly powerful men, many of them white (Shonda did throw Handsome Black Senator in there to show that Olivia isn't racist, she's just down for powerful men). One white man calls her "Helen of Troy". She solves problems for the rich and powerful with her multi-ethnic crew. She gets involved with world wide situations (and extra progressive fantasy, her white Republican president achieves liberal agendas, wtf!).

And then you have the scenery-chewing, incredibly awesome Joe Morton reminding her that she has to be twice as good to get half as far, and that these white people can't handle her greatness.

Around my way we call Scandal, The Sidepiece Chronicles.

royalan

If you think Rihanna is on Leo's level just because of a few records you are sadly mistaken

A few records?

Child, you better read up on the Queen.

Not to mention, she's been nominated for AND won the highest honor in her industry multiple times.

Can Leo say the same yet? I'm not sure, I've lost track with all the movies where he's basically played the same character.

Slayven

A few records?

Not to mention, she's been nominated for AND won the highest honor in her industry multiple times.

Can Leo say the same yet? I'm not sure, I've lost track with all the movies where he's basically played the same character.

Why you got to cut so deep?

Fluff, not bad, but not something I would go out of my way for. They talking to Kristen Stewart to play Lara Croft? Eww.

Relic Hunter is dope though

r8NGJG8.jpg

Where'd you hear Kristen Stewart is in talks? I'll put it in the thread, but other news sources haven't declared any actors, which makes sense, since the movie just got a writer the other day.

Village

A few records?

eeehhhhhhh

A few records?

It's cute that your so fond of Rihanna but she can't even get Leo's table at Spago's. There is nothing else on Earth like being a movie star.

I was going to make a thread, but I decided I'd ask here. I'm a young black male currently working full time (by units alone) and going to school full time as a CS major. My job at times allows me to work on my course load on the job....

I'm about 24, and I've noticed that while I've never had many black friends to begin with, it seems as if I'm growing more distant from my friends in past years, the main reason is while I work many of them do not. It puts a huge strain on the relationship when I end up going out of pocket when it comes to doing things and hanging out....

Even with some members in my family who are the same age as me seem to have a in and out of job lifestyle... My current job is my second job and I've been here for about 4 years... Having a record of being in and out of jobs, or holding jobs less than 6 months looks suspect and it seems could be causing them (friends and family) not to get jobs.

Anyway, I guess I say all of this to say that there seems to be a huge lack of professional desire among black youth (specifically male) I actually don't even know too many professional black women, but that could just be because of where I work, and what I study. Most of them live at home (which isn't bad) but live at home and are not working, also still don't know what they want to study or do professionally. They don't do drugs or anything or have any trouble with the law, they just aren't motivated.

Trey

Combination of a lot of things like lack of experience, poor learning infrastructure, lack of role models, lack of older men, and overall poorness of the black community. It's a cyclical problem with no easy answer, and there are critical problems both within and outside of the community that mitigate a solution.

A lot of things need to happen to change the status quo, but there are programs and resources available to these young men. We're slowly trending in the right direction but there's much more to be done.

Combination of a lot of things like lack of experience, poor learning infrastructure, lack of role models, lack of older men, and overall poorness of the black community. It's a cyclical problem with no easy answer, and there are critical problems both within and outside of the community that mitigate a solution.

A lot of things need to happen to change the status quo, but there are programs and resources available to these young men. We're slowly trending in the right direction but there's much more to be done.

Is there resources or any material that go into the matter? I mean being raised by mostly black women (my mother and aunt) I know the mantra of black men not having a desire or having true role models as a woman cannot raise a man into a man alone, and secondly that black women at times can be so nurturing to the point of harm...

Theres other factors of course such as institutionalized racism, and just not knowing the right people, but I guess what I notice is that too many black men just give up. But I could be assuming wrong of course... I guess the light bulb clicked on for me back when I was 21, I realized if I didn't make my life my own I'd be angry and I wouldn't be in control of my decisions, and that decisions would be made for me... I also did have the opportunity to see some very professional black men at work, these guys would take lead in decision making and most people would look to them for answers on assignments and issues... But if they didn't perform (one guy in particular) they would judge him so hard behind is back, it was scary... (Yet they would sit there and eat his words as if it was gods word moments before...)

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I was going to make a thread, but I decided I'd ask here. I'm a young black male currently working full time (by units alone) and going to school full time as a CS major. My job at times allows me to work on my course load on the job....

I'm about 24, and I've noticed that while I've never had many black friends to begin with, it seems as if I'm growing more distant from my friends in past years, the main reason is while I work many of them do not. It puts a huge strain on the relationship when I end up going out of pocket when it comes to doing things and hanging out....

Even with some members in my family who are the same age as me seem to have a in and out of job lifestyle... My current job is my second job and I've been here for about 4 years... Having a record of being in and out of jobs, or holding jobs less than 6 months looks suspect and it seems could be causing them (friends and family) not to get jobs.

Anyway, I guess I say all of this to say that there seems to be a huge lack of professional desire among black youth (specifically male) I actually don't even know too many professional black women, but that could just be because of where I work, and what I study. Most of them live at home (which isn't bad) but live at home and are not working, also still don't know what they want to study or do professionally. They don't do drugs or anything or have any trouble with the law, they just aren't motivated.
I think it's a combination of several factors, such as no motivation, lack of role models, low income, etc. When you add all these things together you have a generation that has no direction in life.

Malyse

Spock was my dude. I heard he got sick 3 days ago they had to take him in...I had a feeling then, I just hoped it wasn't gonna happen. Knew it was though.
KH3 lost both the Japanese and English voices for the same character within like a month.

I think Rihanna will just get an obsessed movie star to arrange the reservation for her...

Here's my last words on this:

Not only could he crush her with his wallet, but there is a reason that people are talking about who Leo is dating and not who Rihanna is dating.

When I was working at Wal-Mart over the summer there were two women who were in college, but as far as brothers went, none of them were going to college and most were talking about smoking weed after they get off. Almost all the young people there with the exception of the two college women, always asked me if I had any children. I always said no, I'm too young for children and one replied "shit, I was wondering because I've met a guy who had four kids and he was nineteen". One time when I was on my break I was reading Kindred and and one of my co-workers said "good for you for reading. That's too much for me". Did she just congratulate me for reading?

jmood88

Maybe you just know a bunch of niggas who ain't shit. All my black friends that I grew up with are highly motivated and accomplished and the friends I've made in school are the same. Now, some of my family aren't doing much but most of the people I grew up around and know now have done a lot with their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom