• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

Posted this earlier.

Reading some of the Wikipedia page I found this stat funny "In the 1953-54 Lloyd led the NBA in both personal fouls and disqualifications" Guy must have played some vicious defense. Too bad he got drafted to Washington, since they folded right after.

RIP though, guy is a pioneer.

Jacir

Reading some of the Wikipedia page I found this stat funny "In the 1953-54 Lloyd led the NBA in both personal fouls and disqualifications" Guy must have played some vicious defense. Too bad he got drafted to Washington, since they folded right after.

RIP though, guy is a pioneer.

But those shorts tho! Throwback man.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I watched them all after the Herc/Xena combo went off the air. Toss in:

latest

I had the BEST childhood

with wmac masters, i used to watch every saturday, then they started airing the original dragonball on another channel at the same time... so dragonball won out. conquest though? every week, no questions. that shit had me hooked. its amazing how closely connected the mortal kombat series and wmac was

Those were the best ones, particularly Xena. Hercules retroactively became bad thanks to Kevin Sorbo coming out as a racist.

Surprised no one has brought up Mutant X yet.

i used to watch mutant x because the animal chick was cute, and "professor x" was pretty dope too. i also used to watch the invisible man. so much dope syndicated shit at the time

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Good luck brother.
Good luck Jackben.

Good luck Jackben. Do your thing. Show your magic powers n everythang.
Yo, good luck!
Break a leg Jack.
Thanks everyone. They seem like a great company, really excellent benefits, tuition reimbursement programs, significant pay raise, the whole nine yards. The interview itself was really relaxed and informal. I was easily the best dressed, form fit snow white collar shirt, cuff links, pressed pants, shoe game was on fleek. Some of my questions had them talking longer than me, which was pretty amusing because I felt like I gave the impression I was vetting them as much as they were me. Now to play the waiting game.
I just graduated back in December and have been putting in a ton of applications and nothing. I've got frustrated the past few days and have stopped, but about to apply for one right now as soon as I finish editing this script, but it feels like I'm back at square one. Still living at home with my momma with no car or job. It feels like going to school was a waste of time and I always sort of felt like college is sort of a scam, but when I asked game development studios about education they told me that I should get a degree so I did. I felt like I was just a bandwagoner following the hype.
Don't give up. The current interview I just had came out of nowhere, some dude I met at a Superbowl party just got promoted to a new department and gave me the heads up to send in my resume. This was my first real bite since applying for shit like crazy since last fall. It's hard out there but if you get your resume on point and just keep your eyes and ears open, there are opportunities lurking.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Damn, y'all ain't making me feel any better. Lord I hope I can get out of here in seven months. I never see anyone other than my mother and brother. My brother doesn't talk to me anymore and my mother just yells at me. My friends who also graduated are in the same situation, but they've been turned down for shitty jobs because they're overqualified now. I just found out a classmate who graduated semesters prior who won all kinds of awards and shit still doesn't have work either. This is not encouraging. I felt like I should've kissed up to that guest my teacher brought in one day who was friends with Brad Pitt.

My older brother was more fortunate when he graduated several years ago with a Electrical Engineering degree. He immediately got a job working for the US Patent office, then got a job at an electric power company, got promoted there, is about to get his Master's, and will get another promotion after that. I'm trying to outdo him. I really want to have boo koo money like my cousin who's living in a house similar to Shaquille O'Neal's.
theres actually been a lot of literature on this even. Degrees don't mean shit anymore. Kanye had the right idea. All they're good for is keeping you warm at night when you live on the streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plPyJdXKIY

It was a clear black night, a clear white moon
Prototype Viktor was on the streets, trying to consume
some skirts for the eve, so I can get some funk
just rollin in my ride, chillin all alone

Just hit the Eastside of the BCT
on a mission trying to find Mr JC.
Seen a car full of girls ain't no need to tweak
all you skirts know what's up with 213

So I hooks a left on the 21 and Off-Topic
some brothas shootin dice so I said "Let's do this"
I jumped out the ride, and said "What's up?"
some brothas pulled some gats so I said "I'm stuck."

Since these girls peepin me I'ma glide and swerve
these hookers lookin so hard they straight hit the curb
Won'tcha think of better things than some horny tricks
I see my homey and some suckers all in his mix

I'm gettin jacked, I'm breakin myself
I can't believe they taking Viktor's wealth
they took my post ability, they took my horse jokes
I looked at the brotha said "Damn, what's next?"

They got my homey hemmed up and they all around
ain't none of them seeing if they going straight pound for pound
I gotta come up real quick before they start to clown
I best pull out my strap and lay them busters down

They got guns to my head
I think I'm going down
I can't believe this happenin in my own town
If I had wings I could fly
let me contemplate
I glanced in the cut and I see my homey Nate

Sixteen in the clip and one in the hole
Nate Dogg is about to make some bodies turn cold
now they droppin and yellin
it's a tad bit late
JC and Proto V had to regulate

I laid all them busters down
I let my gat explode
now I'm switching my mind back into freak mode
if you want skirts sit back and observe
I just left a gang of those over there on the curb

Azure J

theres actually been a lot of literature on this even. Degrees don't mean shit anymore. Kanye had the right idea. All they're good for is keeping you warm at night when you live on the streets.

Shit like this makes me so scared after transferring colleges, restarting the last parts of my degree and getting shit done the right way recently. I'm trying to find myself a way into something nice in game design optimally. At the very least, going into a tech field with a degree in Computer Systems Tech under my belt should result in something stable if I don't find an immediate way in.
Right?

All the same, stuff like this happens too often and too close to home for me to not get worried from time to time.

jmood88

It depends on what you're getting your degree in and what your plan is (and no, I'm not one those STEM-only people). Degrees don't guarantee you a job but they allow you to qualify for jobs that you would have no chance of getting otherwise. There are a lot of people who go to college with no idea what they want to do and think that just having a degree will get them a job but things don't work like that. And anyone who thinks that you can go out in the world with nothing but a high school diploma and have a good chance of getting a non-shitty job is kidding themselves.

Opiate

I think in the 7 months I've been unemployed I've gotten maybe two positive replies. Unfortunately, they weren't worth the commute in regards to the amount of pay the offered.

I thought I'd make a comment about a discussion I had just yesterday with a guy who was arguing that stores should be allowed to deny people based on racial grounds (or whatever else they wanted).

His argument was that even if his local supermarket didn't want to serve him (he's black, by the way), he could just go to the next supermarket and buy there instead.

I tried to explain the economics of this to him, and how that simple extra distance (he said the second closest supermarket was about 2 miles / 5 minutes further away than his closest one) equated to weeks of extra travel in the car over the course of a lifetime. 5 extra minutes isn't much, but it's 10 minutes back/forth, and then you do that thousands of times in your life, and so forth. And the gas is like .50 cents extra per trip, but add that up took, and you get hundreds or thousands of dollars of gas spent to travel those extra 4 miles over 30-40-50 years. And this is just one example; imagine having to do that for a bunch of different types of stores, or if you had to go to the 5th closest store instead of the second closest, and so on.

He just couldn't see why that mattered. It's like I'd start doing the math and his eyes would glaze over. I bore people.

cdyhybrid

I thought I'd make a comment about a discussion I had just yesterday with a guy who was arguing that stores should be allowed to deny people based on racial grounds (or whatever else they wanted).

His argument was that even if his local supermarket didn't want to serve him (he's black, by the way), he could just go to the next supermarket and buy there instead.

I tried to explain the economics of this to him, and how that simple extra distance (he said the second closest supermarket was about 2 miles / 5 minutes further away than his closest one) equated to weeks of extra travel in the car over the course of a lifetime. 5 extra minutes isn't much, but it's 10 minutes back/forth, and then you do that thousands of times in your life, and so forth. And the gas is like .50 cents extra per trip, but add that up took, and you get hundreds or thousands of dollars of gas spent to travel those extra 4 miles over 30-40-50 years. And this is just one example; imagine having to do that for a bunch of different types of stores, or if you had to go to the 5th closest store instead of the second closest, and so on.

He just couldn't see why that mattered. It's like I'd start doing the math and his eyes would glaze over. I bore people.

It's easier to just remain locked into your preconceived notions than to actually think about it and possibly have to change your views.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Shit like this makes me so scared after transferring colleges, restarting the last parts of my degree and getting shit done the right way recently. I'm trying to find myself a way into something nice in game design optimally. At the very least, going into a tech field with a degree in Computer Systems Tech under my belt should result in something stable if I don't find an immediate way in.
Right?

All the same, stuff like this happens too often and too close to home for me to not get worried from time to time.
you can't worry about it really. All you can do is major in something that realistically will get you a job. This is why I kind of regret graduating in psych.

It depends on what you're getting your degree in and what your plan is (and no, I'm not one those STEM-only people). Degrees don't guarantee you a job but they allow you to qualify for jobs that you would have no chance of getting otherwise. There are a lot of people who go to college with no idea what they want to do and think that just having a degree will get them a job but things don't work like that. And anyone who thinks that you can go out in the world with nothing but a high school diploma and have a good chance of getting a non-shitty job is kidding themselves.
I mean honestly at this point people with degrees are taking the shitty jobs from people with highschool diplomas. The best way to make money legit without a degree is with experience (which is hard to get if no one will hire you) or taking those shitty jobs with an astute company and working your way up (which is difficult as well when you're fighting against people with degrees, but it's still doable) into a management position. Big companies like AT&T are still like this where if you network well enough and have the experience the guys above will choose you over someone with a degree.

hahahahaha all you have is your intelligence and degrees. Where's your job though opiate. With the job I was offered I'd likely be commuting 4 hours everyday (includes to and from work). Calculate that.

Why would he want a store to be able to discriminate?

Libertarian?

Africanus

It would appear that one of the worst actions at times to take when attempting to clear someone's foolish beliefs is present them objective facts. It appears illogical but it is the sad truth.

esms

I'm guessing no gay wedding cakes for this guy.

Opiate

Why would he want a store to be able to discriminate?

Libertarian?

Not exactly, but he has clear libertarian leanings in this regard. He's a big believer in individual responsibility and feels he turned his life around when he stopped blaming racism for his problems and handled his own business. Not a dumb person, just has a mental block in this regard.

I think one of the differences I've seen between conservative people and liberal people generally (there are several distinctions, this is just one of them) is that conservative people focus on handling an individual's problems, and liberal people society's problems.

On an individual level, I actually agree with him; racism clearly isn't going away quickly, and so for your own life's sake, the best you can do is ignore racism and do your best. Don't let yourself feel defeated by the uphill climb you face. But that's not what I'd prescribe on the societal level; I wouldn't just say "everyone just ignore racism and work hard, it's not going away." On the societal level, it makes sense to handle large scale problems that can't really be addressed when talking about a specific individual's life.

So rather than call him a libertarian, I'd call him a person who's very focused with handling his own struggles and not very good at seeing how those struggles might be handled differently on a larger scale.

RedSwirl

What... three years unemployed now? Freelance has been up and down in that time period, but yeah. I've already explained the journalism situation in this thread. Part of it might be location-based.

We'll see in the next few weeks here...

Shhh let them keep thinking you don't want a job or aren't trying hard enough.

Seriously. This is how my dad is. He's talked to me multiple times about how he begged for a McJob... in the late 70's. Yeah I admire all the shit my parents went through to basically be able to raise my brother and I in an upper-middle-class house, but my mom explained me that was the LAST time my dad had to really scrounge around for a job.

Not exactly, but he has clear libertarian leanings in this regard. He's a big believer in individual responsibility and feels he turned his life around when he stopped blaming racism for his problems and handled his own business. Not a dumb person, just has a mental block in this regard.

I think one of the differences I've seen between conservative people and liberal people generally (there are several distinctions, this is just one of them) is that conservative people focusing on handling an individual's problems, and liberal people society's problems.

On an individual level, I actually agree with him; racism clearly isn't going away quickly, and so for your own life's sake, the best you can do is ignore racism and do your best. Don't let yourself feel defeated by the uphill climb you face. But that's not what I'd prescribe on the societal level; I wouldn't just say "everyone just ignore racism and work hard, it's not going away." On the societal level, it makes sense to handle large scale problems that can't really be addressed when talking about a specific individual's life.

So rather than call him a libertarian, I'd call him a person who's very focused with handling his own struggles and not very good at seeing how those struggles might be handled differently on a larger scale.

My dad is kinda this way in some aspects but not really. He actually leans liberal on a lot of economic issues that he or his family members had close contact with over the course of his life, but there are things he just doesn't know about.

As for the individualism thing, America is an individualist society. I think that's always going to be the case in some capacity.

D i Z

I think one of the differences I've seen between conservative people and liberal people generally (there are several distinctions, this is just one of them) is that conservative people focus on handling an individual's problems, and liberal people society's problems.

You're gracious with your wording. I'd say he was someone who didn't give a fuck about anyone but himself and his own. But that's how I would phrase it, and I have no tact.

Malyse

Man you are in denial my friend. I mean the fact you felt the need to make a thread on Disney Princesses period speaks louder than the depth of the thread.
I never denied I like disney. I like disney. But I like a lot of things more than disney. I like NisiOisiN books. I like Niel Gaiman books. I like Jasper Fforde books. I like mental challenges. I fucking love fractals. I like theoretical physics. I like analyzing musical structure. I like making songs. For fucks sake, I have 73 songs on my phone that I came up with in the last three months. But no. I'm all Disney.

I'm not part of any fandom. Partially because there's no one thing that holds me more than another, partially because I refuse to accept being a member of a group without a concious choice to do so. Stop acting like you know me better than I know myself. Shits fucking demeaning as it is irritating.

D i Z

I never denied I like disney. I like disney. But I like a lot of things more than disney. I like NisiOisiN books. I like Niel Gaiman books. I like Jasper Fforde books. I like mental challenges. I fucking love fractals. I like theoretical physics. I like analyzing musical structure. I like making songs. For fucks sake, I have 73 songs on my phone that I came up with in the last three months. But no. I'm all Disney.

I'm not part of any fandom. Partially because there's no one thing that holds me more than another, partially because I refuse to accept being a member of a group without a concious choice to do so. Stop acting like you know me better than I know myself. Shits fucking demeaning as it is irritating.

Being a fan of anything isn't a bad thing in of itself. Don't let internet hounds chase you out of appreciating what you like.

ayy lmao disney fanboys tho

ya'll can keep this thread, we off that

JC's back from his ban?

tumblr_n7t2ydaj6e1qm1nv6o1_500.gif

Nobody said you're all Disney. It is entirely possible to be a member of several fandoms simultaneously. Stop acting like you know what fandom is better than everyone else. Shit's fucking demeaning as it is irritating.
You need to lighten up on this.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'm an atypical hipster. All my faves are things you don't know about, but I want to introduce you to them, not lord my superiority over you.

You JUST MADE a thread about DISNEY PRINCESSES.

Yeah man

fuck the mainstream

Malyse

You JUST MADE a thread about DISNEY PRINCESSES.

Yeah man

fuck the mainstream
Atypical mofo. You saying you know who Eilonwy, Moana and Elena are?

-----

What does it say about me that Helena is my favorite character on Orphan Black.
Cosima is a close second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom