• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will there ever be a discussion* regarding women and minorities in video games where people don't talk past one another entirely? I feel guilty of this sometimes too whenever I can't comprehend where people are coming from in dismissing it as a non issue or how to explain things differently despite explaining them 100 different ways or coming to a thread where half the posts are just garbage anyway, so it destroys your patience right from the start.

*on this website

Short answer? No

Longer and more engaging answer? You'd have to filter through the nonsense and trolls. The GOOD threads are few and far between, but it happens. But mostly you get people who think one of the most iconic attributes to Peter Parker is his whiteness and that Rue (from Hunger Games) can't be played by a black girl in spite of her race (my opinion) is described as black. And the common factor of these two situations is that it's all fiction. But to some to most people, race is real and if it doesn't look like them, they can't relate to it. And then someone will rightfully so bring up elves, orcs, and other fantasy races and how it doesn't bother them.

TL;DR - I got no fucking clue. I made a mental circle and got nowhere

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Short answer? No

Longer and more engaging answer? You'd have to filter through the nonsense and trolls. The GOOD threads are few and far between, but it happens. But mostly you get people who think one of the most iconic attributes to Peter Parker is his whiteness and that Rue (from Hunger Games) can't be played by a black girl in spite of her race (my opinion) is described as black. And the common factor of these two situations is that it's all fiction. But to some to most people, race is real and if it doesn't look like them, they can't relate to it. And then someone will rightfully so bring up elves, orcs, and other fantasy races and how it doesn't bother them.

TL;DR - I got no fucking clue. I made a mental circle and got nowhere
Nah I hear what you are saying. The fact that it's all fiction is an important link I hadn't thought of. Even though it deals with fantastic elements people still attach a certain level of reality to it, and like you said, anything that doesn't fit their established reality is seen as a threat or "can't relate". Especially since these kinds of fiction (comics, video games, movies) are the escape most people on this forum choose and thus become heavily invested in. The higher the stakes of investment, the more terrifying perceived changes might be seen. Sometimes I think the only cure is real life experience and that isn't something you can instill in someone with an online discussion no matter how persuasive, well-referenced, or accurate your information.

Village

One of the Spider-Man threads where people posting what they want to after-credits scenes to be.

Oh I'm fine with that.

It just poeople having fun, predicting what happens next. I'm just glad people found something they have in common and share. And that's fine with me.

Jacir

Proceeding to watch Empire ep6. Im not ready.

I feel you on those types of discussions. Since I'm not strapped with the debating skills, I just try to follow the issue and not be ignorant about it.

esms

Will there ever be a discussion* regarding women and minorities in video games where people don't talk past one another entirely? I feel guilty of this sometimes too whenever I can't comprehend where people are coming from in dismissing it as a non issue or how to explain things differently despite explaining them 100 different ways or coming to a thread where half the posts are just garbage anyway, so it destroys your patience right from the start.

*on this website

EDIT: couple of things jmood88

I admire your effort. I hope you will keep making threads. One thing is that you want to try and create as water-tight and extensive an OP as you can in order to present any sort of discussion regarding women and minorities. Because even still people will try to pick it apart, but at least you will have more to pull from. Several references, examples, and excerpts. That way when someone tries to pick apart one you will still have the others. The other thing is to be selective about which people you respond to in terms of baseless criticism. There will always be bullshit but responding to certain kinds only perpetuates it rather than helping to refute it. The goal of certain posters is to just frustrate you or drag you down into pointless conversations to distract from the topic at hand.

Never gonna happen, even though I would genuinely love a thought out discussion on this topic. This actually contributes to the reason that I don't go on the gaming side of GAF very often.

I'll say this: As a white dude, it takes a massive amount of empathy to have these types of conversations because it's tough to imagine others feel their ethnicity/race/gender underrepresented in their favorite medium. I have to be willing to be wrong, as well, and I would argue that's harder to do when you don't see any problems on the surface of your hobby, even though you know that there are problems of representation (and on top of that, representation that isn't stereotypes).

I think I would have it in me to seriously engage in a discussion like that. I don't want to generalize all of the other white dudes on these boards, but I think they lack the empathy to have this conversation. You'll be faced with arguments like: "Well I don't see any problem with minority representation in video games, therefore, there isn't one." And that is infuriating for women and minorities, which leads to threads along those lines often ending in shitfests because everybody is pissed off by all of the dismissals.

That's my take.

jmood88

*on this website

I admire your effort. I hope you will keep making threads. One thing is that you want to try and create as water-tight and extensive an OP as you can in order to present any sort of discussion regarding women and minorities. Because even still people will try to pick it apart, but at least you will have more to pull from. Several references, examples, and excerpts. That way when someone tries to pick apart one you will still have the others. The other thing is to be selective about which people you respond to in terms of baseless criticism. There will always be bullshit but responding to certain kinds only perpetuates it rather than helping to refute it. The goal of certain posters is to just frustrate you or drag you down into pointless conversations to distract from the topic at hand.
Yeah, I messed up with trying to humor certain posts so that I wouldn't have people accuse me of running away or ignoring what certain people were saying that but that just ended messing things up. I also should've known that having The Order be the major example would lead to problems.

G-Fex

Oh I'm fine with that.

It just poeople having fun, predicting what happens next. I'm just glad people found something they have in common and share. And that's fine with me.

man FUCK people's fun.

Anyway, where is DD , that fanboy thread is calling your name.

harSon

Banned
What's black gaf hair texture? My hair is kinky as hell in the middle and kinky curly in the front and the back.

I'm going to try this.

https://vimeo.com/71768746

will post updates

I've got typical biracial hair. It's straight, and somewhat curved/curly at the end at real short lengths. And it's soft and curly at larger lengths. I can't grow a shaped fro, cause my shit collapses.

RedSwirl

*on this website

You honestly think most of GAF will read that OP?

Samara

Beard is still nappy. Not sure what happened up top, but my shit is now straight as all hell..I used to be attacked by white girls who wanted to feel my hair..rocked a blowout most my life. Real odd..

You have permanent heat damage. Or heat trained hair

I'm 100% 4c. Tough as hell to come through, but I've been trying to get these dreads to lock for 6 months now and had the mid twists and an afro before that. That video has some audio synch problems.

My middle hair is 4c. Its a mess to get a comb true it. Did you do your logs yourself? A trip to a loc/barbershop/salon should help you out.

BTW I just washed my hair and it dried my hair. :'( But I only used gel. Oddly enough this gel is so good. Its the curl activator gel. Yes, the one from the jherri curl.

G-Fex

I don't know if DMC Definitive is any good, what's it coming out for? I don't have PS4,Xbox one.

Man Ninja Gaiden Sigma is great though.

G-Fex

usually I don't give a crap about the 60fps debate.

But broadcasting at 60FPS has made a fucking huge great difference. I love it.

D i Z

Holy shit the state of that Historical thread. Did February get extended and I somehow slept through that news?

Azure J

What's black gaf hair texture? My hair is kinky as hell in the middle and kinky curly in the front and the back.

I'm going to try this.

will post updates

My hair is just ridiculously curly. And long. No one in the family knows where I got this hair from either. I only recently let it grow out (recently = last four or so years after going for full haircuts) as I was initially thinking of getting some short dreads but at this point, it's the longest and densest hair out of all my family. My mother and sisters all give me hell about it too. I can't ask them for help getting it proper without getting threatened to get it cut while I'm sleeping on some Samson and Delilah shit. :lol

usually I don't give a crap about the 60fps debate.

But broadcasting at 60FPS has made a fucking huge great difference. I love it.

I came from Nintendo, fighting/action games and the occasional PC title. People who used to "not see" or "not understand the big deal" re: 60fps were WEIRD to me.

Pure uncut fuckery, and fire tracks

iybpTSAKE5ZlI.gif

You have permanent heat damage. Or heat trained hair

My middle hair is 4c. Its a mess to get a comb true it. Did you do your logs yourself? A trip to a loc/barbershop/salon should help you out.

BTW I just washed my hair and it dried my hair. :'( But I only used gel. Oddly enough this gel is so good. Its the curl activator gel. Yes, the one from the jherri curl.

I go to the salon, but I haven't been in almost six weeks, because the of the snow and I can't make it until this Saturday. It looks like nothing won't happen, I hope so because a bitch is looking wild now.

I'm going to try this.

will post updates
My hair is extremely nappy and unmanageable. I've been meaning to make a thread about this or atleast ask black gaf but I've been wondering what I can use on my hair so that it doesn't look like I have fishing knots on my head

Jacir

Nigga you know you bobbing your head to "drip drop"

Bish putting in that work

Link for the bish drip drippity drop pls?

Apparently theres an indiegogo for a new gex game for ps4.

Edit-nvm I got the thread already. Sony is killing it. Consoles are dead right?

Shy

Moris been brand new since his tax money came back.
ahh. thanks.
What's black gaf hair texture?
well i used to have really tight curls ( because i'm half egyptian and Italian. ) but then i straightened it ( i wish to god i never did ) and now it's fallen out to the point where i'm almost bald.
Shout out to JC joining me on my DmC Definitive Edition stream today. Thanks breh.
what's your twitch name, if you don't mind me asking. ?

Slayven

Link for the bish drip drippity drop pls?

Apparently theres an indiegogo for a new gex game for ps4.

Edit-nvm I got the thread already. Sony is killing it. Consoles are dead right?

Yep, I am going to buy a ps4 tomorrow. probably going to kill the momentum

Lil Bow Wow will play Brody "Baby Face" Nelson on CSI: Cyber

Samara

My hair is extremely nappy and unmanageable. I've been meaning to make a thread about this or atleast ask black gaf but I've been wondering what I can use on my hair so that it doesn't look like I have fishing knots on my head

If your hair is short. Look for this twist brush
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3tId2RIpm4
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Twist-Hair-Brush-Sponge/dp/B00NQOZVQK
maxHydrationMethodResults.png

http://napturallycurly.com/2014/07/maximum-hydration-method/

Garnier sleek and shine leave in is great. And African Gold Curl activator is a godsend.

Jacir

Buy me one while your at it breh.

Soon I will get it one with hard work and prosperity I will have. OK corny but I still is waiting on my go to game franchises to finally launch. Tekken, Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Hot Shots, and Killzone came out already.

I want Coolboarders, JetMoto and Bloody Roar to come back. A fucking Warhawk for PS4 would be nirvana. 300 hrs in that game and not even close to last rank. Hella fun tho. Also it should be the example to all devs to include its great online features. Server lists are a great for the community. Incognito! Report for duty. Please make this for ps4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom