• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

Glad I was around to see that Zoggy thread, what a fucking disaster.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1004968

It's rightfully closed, but man, it escalated really quickly.

Zoggy is a JC alt.
Watched it, pretty good episode. Still think you're trippin.
You're just use to watching trite so when something that's actually good comes on you elevate it to god levels. I mean the white cop dude's monologue was the best thing about the episode, outside of that it was a standard Scandal episode through and through.

I hope dude gets more roles offered to him, had me legit spooked and he channeled the feelings of real cops pretty well (black ones too).
So tell me which episode of scandal was better than this one?

Zoggy is a JC alt.

So tell me which episode of scandal was better than this one?

This was a "good", even great episode by Scandal standards, perhaps the best episode I wouldn't argue that. But the only reason why anyone is even making such a state is...because the rest are horrible. The bar is so really low for this show so it's not hard to create a "great" episode by comparison.

I think Scandal is great entertainment, and Shonda has carved out a niche for herself and I respect that but when compared to the myriad of high quality shows out there with very strong episodes...this does not compare honestly. With that stated. hopefully following this episode the show sees an upward trajectory on quality though.

I find this show to be decent when it's not focused on Olivia/President/Agent love triangle stockholm, battered spouse syndrome nonsense...like this last episode.

original_24750052.jpg

Man, that "what women want in women characters" thread went to shit on the first post. Amazing how heated dudes get when you "threaten" to give women personality beyond how much skin they show.

Man, that "what women want in women characters" thread went to shit on the first post. Amazing how heated dudes get when you "threaten" to give women personality beyond how much skin they show.

Yea but we should have known that thread was going to go to shit.

This forum is like 90% straight white male, so thread like that was doomed from inception. Like always, said males seem to think they know what's best for everyone else. How dare a bunch of female artists draw female characters and cover them up! Like they know what's best for females!

Yea but we should have known that thread was going to go to shit.

This forum is like 90% straight white male, so thread like that was doomed from inception. Like always, said males seem to think they know what's best for everyone else. How dare a bunch of female artists draw female characters and cover them up! Like they know what's best for females!

The best part is all of the dudes bitching about "why would women want to play as ugly characters that are so prudely covered up." I mean, really?

The best part is all of the dudes bitching about "why would women want to play as ugly characters that are so prudely covered up." I mean, really?

Yea the entire thread is just a large echo chamber. They constantly bring up half baked arguments. "They wear bikini armor because they need to be agile!" "I know women who love female characters the current way they are!"

I mean I like how one of the posters literally said "How would these women know what a good female design is?"

welp

That's not racist. That's a truth that applies to american "blacks".
Divorce, single parent, imprisonment and domestic abuse rates are considerably high for the american "black" minority.
So she drew reasonable conclusions.

it continues

So it's a racist thing to say because she's not the skin tone of which she was speaking?
I've heard "black" american men and women say things very similar to what she said; does that mean they're racist against themselves?
Get real.

Of course "black" men treat women poorly; as do men of all skin tones. However, among americans it's far more prevalent in the "black" community.
As for most of your other questions I won't dignify them with answers.
Victims of abuse often try to justify what happened and pick up for their abuser; that has nothing to do with pigment.
Where did she use "all" or similar determiner?

She did no such thing. You have jumped to that conclusion.
She didn't have to go out of her way and use words such as: many, most, some, not all, etc for it to be clear to me that she was not speaking of all "black" americans.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Let's hear Greedzen out. Perhaps this is a learning opportunity.

GreedZen

Banned

Ooo, satire.
I consider myself the sea lion. Have you retreated to your home, unwilling to have a reasoned discussion?

You defending something clearly insensitive and your sweeping generalisations

One cannot always pussy foot around the truth. What Madonna and I have said may have been insensitive but it's true.
As for generalizations, I invite you to check the statistics as it relates to the matters in question.

royalan

One cannot always pussy foot around the truth. What Madonna and I have said may have been insensitive but it's true.
As for generalizations, I invite you to check the statistics as it relates to the matters in question.

The fact that you can't even clearly define what this "truth" you and Madonna speak is should demonstrate your lack of a position here.

Also, I'm still not understanding why you believe that statistics (that you keep referring to but failing to cite) allows you to make sweeping generalizations of an entire race of people.

esms

Ooo, satire.
I consider myself the sea lion. Have you retreated to your home, unwilling to have a reasoned discussion?

Interesting. Doubling down on stereotypes against blacks in BCT.

Malyse

Ooo, satire.

February never ends, bitches.

The fact that you can't even clearly define what this "truth" you and Madonna speak is should demonstrate your lack of a position here.

Also, I'm still not understanding why you believe that statistics (that you keep referring to but failing to cite) allows you to make sweeping generalizations of an entire race of people.

Well to be fair, I'm sure he agrees that white men are more likely to rape children and shoot up schools/public places because their feelings are hurt.

GreedZen

Banned
Loving the quotes around "black."

I use the quotes because I'm not a supporter of white, black, etc people.
Too many have bought into the one drop rule. I know society loves descriptors, but what sense does it spell when you deem someone white when both parents would be considered african american?

What are these sweeping generalizations I have made?

Interesting. Doubling down on stereotypes against blacks in BCT.

Stereotypes? I recommend yourself Royalan and others carry out a Google search for terms such as "america domestic abuse by race", "america single parents by race" and things of such ilk. Remember to take America's population by race into account.

I've always seen this thread as "American Black Culture", a lot of it is certainly not indicative of "black" culture where I'm from.

Too many have bought into the one drop rule. I know society loves descriptors, but what sense does it spell when you deem someone white when both parents would be considered african american?

Stereotypes? I recommend yourself Royalan and others carry out a Google search for terms such as "america domestic abuse by race", "america single parents by race" and things of such ilk. Remember to take America's population by race into account.

I've always seen this thread as "American Black Culture", a lot of it is certainly not indicative of "black" culture where I'm from.

Good thing we didn't have to go too far to find a sweeping generalisation.

esms

Race isn't a simple descriptor. Race is a social construct that affects economic opportunity and cultural treatment. Being colorblind to race is a laughable stance because it seeks to invalidate the effect of race on daily life.

The domestic abuse stats are there, I admit. What is worrying is you seem to be extrapolating these results to insinuate that all black people are rowdy and generally violent. That is a stereotype, my friend.

I can make similar Google searches for what group in this country commits the most hate crimes or has the highest murder rates but I still know better than to make generalizations of white people based off of that

jmood88

It doesn't make sense but we're the ones who have to live with the consequences of nonsensical societal constructs.

Read your posts

Why don't you show us what numbers you keep referring to?

There are people from all over the world in here.

Akainu

Why are people always bringing up bs statistics then try to make other people do their work for them when they don't post them themselves?

GreedZen

Banned
Race isn't a simple descriptor. Race is a social construct that affects economic opportunity and cultural treatment. Being colorblind to race is a laughable stance because it seeks to invalidate the effect of race on daily life.

The domestic abuse stats are there, I admit. What is worrying is you seem to be extrapolating these results to insinuate that all black people are rowdy and generally violent. That is a stereotype, my friend.

What's worrying is that I have not insinuated that, yet you feel that way.
Care to quote me an example of my insinuations?

The word race has been so twisted over the years it's not funny. Thus, I try to avoid it due it it's growing ambiguity. However, for most (in my opinion), simple or not, it is a descriptor.
I'll use black, white, yellow etc. in dealing with fellow countrymen because those words don't weigh as heavy here, they're used mainly as descriptors and nothing more. In America and other countries they can carry a certain sting, so I avoid them.
One gets the sense that in America if people of different tones line up and another is asked to pick one and they say I want the yellow one; controversy would erupt. They don't have jaundice, I've never seen a yellow person, that's racist, why didn't they say the one in the middle, etc.
Not likely here because people use those and other descriptors to cut to the point.
ex Short man, brownin, fatty, coolie, yellowman, white girl, blacka, cyasee (cyan't see, ie cross-eyed person)
As globalization spreads, ethnicity (less vague and more important than race) will affect growing numbers of persons; yet still, for many it has no tangible effect on daily life.

Good thing we didn't have to go too far to find a sweeping generalisation.

Now you're just being ridiculous. Yes, you win, my view of these threads as being more aligned with America is a sweeping statement.

Edit:

It doesn't make sense but we're the ones who have to live with the consequences of nonsensical societal constructs.
Read your posts
Why don't you show us what numbers you keep referring to?
There are people from all over the world in here.

I have read them and know I haven't done as accused.
If I did post the numbers and sources would that really change your mind, really?
I'm quite aware, I myself fall in the not in or from the USA category. Non-american culture does pop up, but it's clear to me what flag the bulk of BCTs fly under. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom