• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RP912

Banned
High Tier
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
New York Undercover
The Boondocks (before the last season)
Cheppelle show?

Middle Tier
Family Matters (before Harriet became an impostor)
Roc

Low Tier
Good Times
The Wayans Bros.

ReiGun

Top Tier
Fresh Prince
Everybody Hates Chris
Living Single
The Boondocks
The Bernie Mac Show

High Tier
The Proud Family
A Different World
Girlfriends
Martin
Sister Sister
Malcolm & Eddie (I was so upset when this was canned)

Mid Tier
The Game (S1-3 when it actually was a sitcom)
Family Matters
Black-ish
Smart Guy
Half & Half (and let me just say Rachel True and Essence Atkins are both wonderful and deserve more than they've gotten)
Moesha
Amen
The Wayans Bros
Eve
The Jaime Foxx Show
In the House (would have been low tier, but the later seasons were pretty great)

Low Tier
The Parkers
One on One (started great, but once it became about Brianna and her fuckboy bf in college....struggle)
The PJs
The Hughleys (this one had potential, but DL Hughley is just...not funny)

Garbage Tier
Homeboys in Outer Space

Also want to mention Cousin Skeeter, which I remember almost nothing about beyond loving it as a kid.

High Tier
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
New York Undercover
The Boondocks (before the last season)
Cheppelle show?

Middle Tier
Family Matters (before Harriet became an impostor)
Roc

Low Tier
Good Times
The Wayans Bros.

Yo how is Good Times low tier? All the classic ones from the 90's give props to it even Chapelle Show you listed (which is a live comedy sketch show ala Key & Peele, and In Living Color) James's death is one of the most memorable scenes in black tv along with Penny getting the iron.

I thought I forgot a couple. Eve I really only watched because not much else was on so I think I'd place it in low tier.

I didn't register The Boondocks as one, but if I consider The Proud Family and PJs one, then it is too. Boondocks joins high tier despite the last season being bad and I'm not sure where to place The Bernie Mac Show. I think that leans towards upper mid tier. A lot more of these than I thought.

Also New York Undercover is definitely not a sitcom. That's a crime drama.

ReiGun said:
In the House (would have been low tier, but the later seasons were pretty great)
I vaguely, vaguely remember this. I think I need to see a little bit of Half & Half again to judge that, but yeah Rachel True is fine.

One on One (started great, but once it became about Brianna and her fuckboy bf in college....struggle)
Yeah that last season wasn't as good. I had almost forgotten about it.

MWS, what was your show about? I've been talking off and on with those brothers for almost a year about getting on but scheduling hasn't worked out yet. They've been wanting to chat about my industry experience on the journo-side, but I've been a little apprehensive because I'm so damned bitter about all of it - and told them so. I don't want to bring the rain to a show that is clearly creating so much positive buzz. Is speaking salty about my experience and observations in the industry something that people even want to hear? Just fielding general thoughts.

A little bit of gaming in general but the major topics were:

Sports Gaming - My Website, Madden, etc
MGS - Sucking at stealth games
PAX - Dick Wolves Revisited

I would say go on the show, they do a great job of keeping it fun and upbeat.

That Fresh Prince thread got me wondering about everyone else's favorite black sitcoms. Let's rank all the ones we've seen.

My list

High Tier
Cleopatra 2525
one drop rule of lead characters
Bernie Mac (before they got rid of Wilmore from his own show)

Mid Tier
The PJs
Black-ish

Low Tier
The Wayans Bros.
Smart Guy
What's Happening
The Parkers
My Wife & Kids
The Hughleys
Homeboys in Outer Space
Good Times
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Living Single
Sister Sister
Everybody Hates Chris
Family Matters
Jamie Foxx Show
The Proud Family
Moesha
A Different World
Girlfriends
The Jeffersons
Amen
Sanford & Son
One on One
The Parenthood
The Cosby Show
Martin

This was a thing:
All of Us
FTFY

ReiGun

I like Black-ish, but I can only put it in mid-tier atm. It has all the pieces to be great, but they aren't quite coming together for me. We'll see in the second season.

I vaguely, vaguely remember this. I think I want need to see a little bit of Half & Half again to judge that, but yeah Rachel True is fine.

Fine and talented. She absolutely deserved a bigger career.

Any of you guys have Law Enforcement in your family? A few in mine and they are good people. Never talk cop stuff with them though, I always figure that's the last shit they want to talk about when we all get together.

Nope, I have politicians in my family. Nigerian though. And on bad days, they can get super slimy about it.

As for cops, I've stopped saying the term good cop. I know good people who are cops. Quite a few. And if they can somehow find ways to make people's less horrible when dealing with law enforcement, cool.

Also, just got back from The Perfect Guy.

You know, I was expecting the fuckery, the clunky ass dialogue, great actors doomed by... Well, everything else, but I think the part that really bothered me about this movie is how internal consistency was like non-existent.

This was one of those movies where if it had followed it's own logic, it would have ended way earlier.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
top tier

Good Times
The Wayans Bros.
Smart Guy
boondocks
The Bernie Mac show
( Vanessa and Aunt Wanda
7BqpWX1.png
)

Proud Family and Martin get honorable mentions. Hated Martin as a kid but I can appreciate it now. Cant stand Tisha Campbell though. Annoying to look at and to hear.
Everything thing else low tier or I cant remember it.

Blackish is decent but it just doesn't click for me.

I never really fucked with The Cosby Show like that. I recognize it's importance to the time and its place in the canon of Black cinema/hollywood, but me and dad usually switched to The Simpsons when it was on.

That said it's still all praises to Claire Huxtable. Her snatching Vanessa's soul right out of the girl's body is still a legendary moment.

Yeah the same for me with The Cosby Show. In historical context I believe it was the first black sitcom to break into the white audience or so my professor told me, but I find the humor dry and cornbread as fuck. It's spinoff A Different World turned out better once Denise left and it became a thing of its own.

Shit: I forgot about My Brother and Me too. I recently rewatched a couple episodes of these on YT and it wasn't as good as I remember, but it was okay. Shame it didn't last longer than a season so it could've grown.

andthebeatgoeson

Yeah the same for me with The Cosby Show. In historical context I believe it was the first black sitcom to break into the white audience or so my professor told me, but I find the humor dry and cornbread as fuck. It's spinoff A Different World turned out better once Denise left and it became a thing of its own.

Shit: I forgot about My Brother and Me too. I recently rewatched a couple episodes of these on YT and it wasn't as good as I remember, but it was okay. Shame it didn't last longer than a season so it could've grown.
That maybe true but some cat put 227 ahead of the Cosby show. I hate Pill just as much as anybody but come on.

RP912

Banned
Yo how is Good Times low tier? All the classic ones from the 90's give props to it even Chapelle Show you listed (which is a live comedy sketch show ala Key & Peele, and In Living Color) James's death is one of the most memorable scenes in black tv along with Penny getting the iron.

I thought I forgot a couple. Eve I really only watched because not much else was on so I think I'd place it in low tier.

I didn't register The Boondocks as one, but if I consider The Proud Family and PJs one, then it is too. Boondocks joins high tier despite the last season being bad and I'm not sure where to place The Bernie Mac Show. I think that leans towards upper mid tier. A lot more of these than I thought.

Also New York Undercover is definitely not a sitcom. That's a crime drama.

I vaguely, vaguely remember this. I think I need to see a little bit of Half & Half again to judge that, but yeah Rachel True is fine.

Yeah that last season wasn't as good. I had almost forgotten about it.

After James death...the show took a nose dive. It was all about JJ Evans, instead of what the original theme of the show was about. I don't blame ole dude for bouncing because the show started to suck once it became "Guess JJ's catchphrases". Same thing happened to Family Matters :(

Numb

Didn't have the opportunity to check out that many sitcoms.
Fresh Prince,Bernie,Boondocks and Chapelle were awesome if the last 2 count.
Sister sister and My wife and kids were kinda ok.
Jeffersons was on this old channel all the time and it was weird to me. Too young for it maybe.
Should probably check out Black-ish if it is cool.

Sou Da

Not nearly enough Half and Half on this page. Also is the Game still a sitcom? It has no laughtrack and it's shot like a drama last time I saw it.

Not nearly enough Half and Half on this page. Also is the Game still a sitcom? It has no laughtrack and it's shot like a drama last time I saw it.

Yo UPN when it had Chris, One on One before the fuckery, Girlfriends, Half and Half, All of Us and stuff was prime.

Village

Top Tier
Fresh Prince
Everybody Hates Chris
Living Single
The Boondocks
The Bernie Mac Show

High Tier
The Proud Family
A Different World
Girlfriends
Martin
Sister Sister

Also want to mention Cousin Skeeter, which I remember almost nothing about beyond loving it as a kid.
Cousin skeeter had the best theme

Also proud family is the jam. Not only did that show function for folks of multiple backgrounds, wasn't affraid to get crazy. And a successful version of everything Tyler Perry has ever attempted.

I wouldnt call the boondocks or the proud family sitcoms by any means though.

That Fresh Prince thread got me wondering about everyone else's favorite black sitcoms. Let's rank all the ones we've seen.

My list

High Tier
Good Times
Martin
Living Single

Mid Tier
Sister Sister
Everybody Hates Chris
Family Matters
Jamie Foxx Show
The Proud Family
Moesha
All of Us
A Different World
Girlfriends
The Jeffersons
Amen
Sanford & Son
One on One
The Parenthood

Low Tier
The Wayans Bros.
The PJs
Smart Guy
What's Happening
The Parkers
The Cosby Show
My Wife & Kids
The Hughleys
Homeboys in Outer Space

Can't remember well enough to rank:
Hanging with Mr. Cooper
Roc
Malcolm & Eddie

I haven't watched many of the new ones, but they look pretty bad to me, especially Soul Man.

List is worthless without "That's my mama"

edit: and you have "what's happening!!" and the Cosby Show down there with "homeboys in outer space?" come on now

Show was funny. Slow start, improves then bam! Cancelled. Show also had a lot of black folk working. Funny since the lead characters VA is white.

Yeah, I know someone in here said you could tell when the show got some black writers, and I agree. I didn't respond at the time but someone ITT had asked how - I think the easiest way to put it is that it went from "look at this black family doing funny things" to "look at this family doing funny black things." It kinda shifted from the usual "look at all this cool 80's stuff, remember how much life didn't suck" thing Seth MacFarlane's shows have going on into way nerdier territory, the family had their relationships explored a little more, etc.

donna's the best tho

Infinite

Any of you guys have Law Enforcement in your family? A few in mine and they are good people. Never talk cop stuff with them though, I always figure that's the last shit they want to talk about when we all get together.
I have 3 cops in my family. They are all NYPD and they all despise the institution.

zeemumu

Hmm, I'd probably rank it as

Top tier:

Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Boondocks

Mid tier:
Wayans Bros.
Family Matters
Moesha

Low tier:
Martin
Steve Harvey
My Wife and Kids
For Better or Worse
Lil' Romeo Show

zeemumu

I should get back into reading Spider-Man comics. I was at my peak reading through Ultimate Spider-Man and kinda dropped off after Superior.

Slayven, find me a re-entry point.

zeemumu

Spider Island then wait until the relaunch this year

Alright then. And I was reading up on Wolverine's death. I don't know if his body restarting his processes after prolonged suffocation is canon in the comics. He comes back from drowning in Days of Future Past, but I don't now if he's ever done it in the comics.

Damn bruh, that's harsh.

I don't really like Martin Lawrence. Plus he gave the rest of the cast some problems and the theme song gets on my nerves a bit.

Outside of Fresh Prince and Boondocks, none of my other friends really ever watched any of these shows. All they ever talk about are Friends and Seinfeld. I know names from Friends and something about a soup nazi from Seinfeld and that's as far as my knowledge of either of those shows goes.

Alright then. And I was reading up on Wolverine's death. I don't know if his body restarting his processes after prolonged suffocation is canon in the comics. He comes back from drowning in Days of Future Past, but I don't now if he's ever done it in the comics.

He lost the healing factor(stopped working when he went into the microverse) which is why the adamantium started poisoning him and he died. Or some crap like that, iirc.

LionPride

Banned
Top Tier
Fresh Prince
Everybody Hates Chris
Living Single
The Boondocks
The Bernie Mac Show

High Tier
The Proud Family
A Different World
Girlfriends
Martin
Sister Sister

Mid Tier
The Game (S1-3 when it actually was a sitcom)
Family Matters
Black-ish
Smart Guy
Half & Half (and let me just say Rachel True and Essence Atkins are both wonderful and deserve more than they've gotten)
Moesha
Amen
The Wayans Bros
Eve
The Jaime Foxx Show

Low Tier
The Parkers
The PJs
The Hughleys (this one had potential, but DL Hughley is just...not funny)

Garbage Tier
Homeboys in Outer Space

Can't really disagree with this list, I do like the PJs though.

Trey

this black sitcom tangent just reminded me that Survivor's remorse season 2 has started. It's pretty much the Game, but better.

Sou Da

Yo UPN when it had Chris, One on One before the fuckery, Girlfriends, Half and Half, All of Us and stuff was prime.
Honestly I just have a really big thing for Rachel True.
Show was funny. Slow start, improves then bam! Cancelled. Show also had a lot of black folk working. Funny since the lead characters VA is white.

Yeah, I know someone in here said you could tell when the show got some black writers, and I agree. I didn't respond at the time but someone ITT had asked how - I think the easiest way to put it is that it went from "look at this black family doing funny things" to "look at this family doing funny black things." It kinda shifted from the usual "look at all this cool 80's stuff, remember how much life didn't suck" thing Seth MacFarlane's shows have going on into way nerdier territory, the family had their relationships explored a little more, etc.

donna's the best tho

Yep, show got black and it was great. I knew no one would watch that shit. Especially when it went full negro. "Can't relate"

Worst part about it getting canceled is that it's supporting cast was head and shoulders above Family Guy's and that's pretty much all gone. I still kinda don't like how they did JR. though, Seth really can't do an older son/Father relationship differently and it shows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone add Roc to the list of shows?

On a positive note I have been asked to be a guest on the Spawn on Me Podcast this week. You guys should checkout their stuff if you aren't up on them, really great show.

I enjoy Spawn on Me, cool - I'll definitely listen to the ep you're on. ESN has good folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom