• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...mily-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/

I know y'all sleep so I'll just put this here. Can't tell me bct be late for sleep. Nope.

TA-NEHISI Coates article on incarceration.

Ex-offenders are excluded from a wide variety of jobs, running the gamut from septic-tank cleaner to barber to real-estate agent, depending on the state. And in the limited job pool that ex-offenders can swim in, blacks and whites are not equal. For her research, Pager pulled together four testers to pose as men looking for low-wage work. One white man and one black man would pose as job seekers without a criminal record, and another black man and white man would pose as job seekers with a criminal record. The negative credential of prison impaired the employment efforts of both the black man and the white man, but it impaired those of the black man more. Startlingly, the effect was not limited to the black man with a criminal record. The black man without a criminal record fared worse than the white man with one. “High levels of incarceration cast a shadow of criminality over all black men, implicating even those (in the majority) who have remained crime free,” Pager writes. Effectively, the job market in America regards black men who have never been criminals as though they were.

OK, maybe you shouldn't read this. But I'm up and can't sleep nor turn my eyes.

andthebeatgoeson

an 1897 lecture, W. E. B. Du Bois declared, “The first and greatest step toward the settlement of the present friction between the races—commonly called the Negro problem—lies in the correction of the immorality, crime, and laziness among the Negroes themselves, which still remains as a heritage from slavery.” Du Bois’ language anticipated the respectability politics of our own era. “There still remain enough well authenticated cases of brutal assault on women by black men in America to make every Negro bow his head in shame,” Du Bois claimed in 1904. “This crime must at all hazards stop. Lynching is awful, and injustice and caste are hard to bear; but if they are to be successfully attacked they must cease to have even this terrible justification.” Kelly Miller, who was then a leading black intellectual and a professor at Howard University, presaged the call for blacks to be “twice as good,” asserting in 1899 that it was not enough for “ninety-five out of every hundred Negroes” to be lawful. “The ninety-five must band themselves together to restrain or suppress the vicious five.”

Aww hell, W.E.B. Du Bois was a fuk boi. This hurts.

Jacir

Yeah. I started reading and now I'm hooked. I'm tired yet really interested.

Yeah I'll read it later. Anyway I'm waiting for Sonys tgs conference in 20 min right now.

Just read the paragraph above and I'm seriously against the post-imprisonment punishment for ex-criminals, even if they were violent offenders. There should be a law dealing with this unfair attitude/practice. A person who has already done the time shouldnt be doing "time" afterwards. You get what I'm saying?

Controversial opinion incoming....I believe that minimum time sentences are logical.

Actually that brings up something I've been wanting to ask for a while. For the black people in here not in the US, what's it like being black in your country?

It's not the worst place to be black but there is a general undercurrent of "you don't really belong here". It helps that we're not (currently) the flavour of the week racism targets. However, I personally am still aware of how different I have to act than my non-black friends just to get through the day (relatively) hassle free. We might be slightly better than the USA but we're not the racism free Utopia we're sometimes presented as.

Jacir

Ugggghhhu, shitty fingers. That's gonna smell. :p

That reminds me of spirit fingers.
giphy.gif

Young Magus

Actually that brings up something I've been wanting to ask for a while. For the black people in here not in the US, what's it like being black in your country?

Over here, ya kinda get lumped in with other Americas. The microaggressions are still here and in full swing mind you. Instead of Black questions you get American questions and folks become impressed with small things like knowing how to use chopsticks and being able speaking the language.

akira28

If you mean hip-hop (along with other expression of black culture) they love it, black people? Not so much.

if they could push us out of the way and take over black culture like a kid takes over a Nintendo controller, we'd already be on the floor.

i never liked Dubois notion of the talented 10th because those niggas the first ones to look down their nose at the normal ninetieth. They were the ones courted by the white status quo and the reason you get asked to explain all that "niggrish shit" to this day. Where's the tenth today? Trying to fuck a Kardashian on one end, trying to troll the entirety of twitter on another end, writting some hot fire in one corner, doing some business shit no one will ever hear of in the next, but making mad bank tho. And giving most of it to American capitalism while they live and Uncle Sam when they die.

akira28

or if anything, someone read that talented 10th gameplan and squelched it like a motherfucker. no one is getting lead to freedom tonight.

Trey

The Carson = Obama trap card in the Carson poll thread almost fucked me up but I persevered; remembered where I was at. Not today, Satan.

Ok, let me ask y'all. How ambiguous was this post?

Because it seems to be not clicking in peoples' heads

Do I need to explain why Carson's quotes were both racist and sexist? That they are basic "welfare queen" statements?
You answered this right in the post. Folks will straight REFUSE to read between the lines. Old boy with his Bill O'Reilly facts is transparent as fuck. The like-minded aren't going to see anything wrong with it.
Whats the fastest way to grow an afro.
Ummm..time?

Dereck

Bah gawd, PS4 users straight up finna be FEASTIN' brehs

C76EYFO.gif

All that JRPG support

fC3jHhY.png

NIOH

fC3jHhY.png

Dem boys at Team Ninja abandoned Ninja Gaiden and made a Samurai Souls

I'm going summarize today's events from gaming side

-All twelve Vita stans are hurt

-People seriously thought Sony was going to use a code name for its final product .

-Subs is widely known in Internet circles

-Cboat filed their application in the Larry Holmes Garden

-VR Waifus

Infinite

Bah gawd, PS4 users straight up finna be FEASTIN' brehs

C76EYFO.gif

All that JRPG support

fC3jHhY.png

NIOH

fC3jHhY.png

Dem boys at Team Ninja abandoned Ninja Gaiden and made a Samurai Souls
The tgs presser was good. Gravity Daze 2 for ps4 was enough to get my hype to be honest. Speaking of which funny that the thread for it turned into a bunch of niggas crying it's not for the vita. Folks just set themselves up to be disappointed smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom