• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

are you fucking kidding me

See, on each reviewing I notice something new.

The guy in the black saying "You guys are wasting your time." Then shouting "Oh yeah! Get em girl!"

The second woman saying "Wow, wow" presumably after hearing her friend's foolish plan.

A poster behind the protester saying "Not numbers neighbors".

Another saying "Don't send the 1% to their tax havens."

The lack of shame the first woman had even to make a "sorry not sorry" gesture.

Now what I'm trying to find out is whether that guy was alone, or if the posters ending in "against racism" amongst other things are also fellow protesters.

I should ask my IU friend.

Slayven

stephen-colbert-black-lives-matter-wristband.png

Damn this is some good tea

Imm0rt4l

So yeah, now that mgsv has come and gone. It went about as bad as I thought with regards to subject matter, and taboos Kojima said he'd touch on.

I just love how he feels the need to add in these contrivances, one that irked me before (MGSV Eli spoiler)
blonde haired blue eyed white kid for seemingly no good reason is in Africa as a child soldier, and he's the superior soldier btw. Twice he's done this bullshit now, before with Raiden, now he's retconned liquid to be the same. It's so incredibly tack to me.

Not even gonna get started on Quiet, and "you will be ashamed for you words and your deeds" FOH, her entire creation was fanservice bullshit, I understand that a lot of times money is to be made on ancillary items like toys and otakus and weeaboos eat that kind of shit up but damn. I think Japan is very tone deaf on these kind of issues, so its really no surprise to me.

or am I trippin?

gameplay is fucking ace though

So yeah, now that mgsv has come and gone. It went about as bad as I thought with regards to subject matter, and taboos Kojima said he'd touch on.

I just love how he feels the need to add in these contrivances, one that irked me before (MGSV Eli spoiler)
blonde haired blue eyed white kid for seemingly no good reason is in Africa as a child soldier, and he's the superior soldier btw. Twice he's done this bullshit now, before with Raiden, now he's retconned liquid to be the same. It's so incredibly tack to me.

Not even gonna get started on Quiet, and "you will be ashamed for you words and your deeds" FOH, her entire creation was fanservice bullshit, I understand that a lot of times money is to be made on ancillary items like toys and otakus and weeaboos eat that kind of shit up but damn. I think Japan is very tone deaf on these kind of issues, so its really no surprise to me.

or am I trippin?

Yeah I'm not surprised Eli ended up that way, as much as I like Raiden as a character in Rising, the whole child soldier in Liberia backstory was always dubious to me.
Metal Gear stories as a whole are just crazy ass geo-political ayyy lmao-fests. I was never expecting Kojima to handle Quiet in any meaningful way even after that words and deeds statement. I'm just glad that this one plays really well.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
People give Quiet's design grief but Kojima seems equal opportunity when it comes to fan service imo. In fact neither here nor there but I thought dude was bi or gay until I recently found out he had a son.
Might still be, nothing wrong with that. Don't kill me.

Not deep enough into Africa yet to see how he fumbled that but he probably did. I'm only two missions in and Africa seems completely under cooked compared to Afghanistan.

Merc_

The right wing has been banging on about BLM being a hate group and the fact that folks aren't really listening is burning them up on the inside. Being able to regularly record Police brutality is making it just too difficult to dismiss the way they usual do. The stuff with James Blake only brings further attention to it. Their bullshit isn't really gaining any traction outside of the usual racists and watching them flail about is very amusing.

Slayven

or am I trippin?

Can't wait until those dudes say they never knew it was bad until Kojima badly highlighted it.
The right wing has been banging on about BLM being a hate group and the fact that folks aren't really listening is burning them up on the inside. Being able to regularly record Police brutality is making it just too difficult to dismiss the way they usual do. The stuff with James Blake only brings further attention to it. Their bullshit isn't really gaining any traction outside of the usual racists and watching them flail about is very amusing.

let them be mad

Glad my efforts to promote didn't go to waste for the Gen 5 voting thread. I was responsible for almost half of the Final Fantasy IX votes in there and even my vote got a shout out.

Jacir

you forget when she went with a short hair cut, and went good girl gone bad on us?

Not really. All I remember was her in a movie about a spelling bee competition or something like that.

On a positive note I have been asked to be a guest on the Spawn on Me Podcast this week. You guys should checkout their stuff if you aren't up on them, really great show.

I'll check this out later. Already subbed to the podcast but havent listened to any episode yet.

Why pick on Latino dude? Good on him for not responding back. She is dumb or is showing her colors right there. Ally my ass.

Shy

On a positive note I have been asked to be a guest on the Spawn on Me Podcast this week. You guys should checkout their stuff if you aren't up on them, really great show.
You know, i've only just realised i misread this, and you're going to be on the show, and not you've just been on the show. *sigh* i'm a fucking idiot.
Yeah, he didn't touch on any, which pissed me off.
Pretty much.
Yep.
It just so fucking embarrassing. I put some bloody clothes on her first chance i got.
or am I trippin?
You're not fam, you're really not.
It really really is. That's what makes the whole thing so fucking depressing.
The "you will be ashamed" thing was complete FUD.
That reason was always bullshit.
When Quiet was first announced, he said he he had her designed that way so women would cosplay as her. For me, that's all i needed to know about the character.

Gorillaz

or am I trippin?

was wondering how you felt about V since I knew you were a big MGS fan, in fact I was wondering how most of the fanbase felt bout this one since it's tone is so different in terms of "story"

havn't beaten it yet but im basically at the part you mentioned in the spoiler and just rolled my eyes as well. Same with Quiet. Gameplay has stored up alot of good will because the whole presentation for me is starting to look a little funny

Shy

was wondering how you felt about V since I knew you were a big MGS fan, in fact I was wondering how most of the fanbase felt bout this one since it's tone is so different in terms of "story"

havn't beaten it yet but im basically at the part you mentioned in the spoiler and just rolled my eyes as well. Same with Quiet. Gameplay has stored up alot of good will because the whole presentation for me is starting to look a little funny
As a huge MGS fan, i hate the non-existent story in V, and the more i think about it as time goes by, the more upset i get.
And the worst thing about it is, it's started to make me sour on the rest of series. Just as mass effect 3 did.

Crocodile

Crocodile, I'm sorry I snapped at you. I'm not sure what was going through my head at the time. I'm not usually like that, and it was bullshit that I acted that way towards you. Again, I'm very sorry..

I had to think a bit to make sure I remembered what you were referring to (should probably tell you its not a big deal) and if its about last week don't worry about it. A complete non-issue :)

Is this your shopping history?
#Kappa

akira28

or am I trippin?

the part where we would be shamed and stuff was cut. They'll never get to explain the reason for thong and tactically ripped pantyhose

People give Quiet's design grief but Kojima seems equal opportunity when it comes to fan service imo. In fact neither here nor there but I thought dude was bi or gay until I recently found out he had a son.
Might still be, nothing wrong with that. Don't kill me.

That fight between Vamp and Raiden was so homoerotic. I don't know if love was blooming on the battlefield, but something was.

Congrats! It's a fantastic show. I try to give the. Shout outs on Gaf as often as possible whenever podcasts are mentioned.

Thanks, yes they do a great job.

I'll check this out later. Already subbed to the podcast but havent listened to any episode yet..

You know, i've only just realised i misread this, and you're going to be on the show, and not you've just been on the show. *sigh* i'm a fucking idiot.

No worries, we just finished taping this morning. It should be out on Tuesday.

I haven't heard of this before, but it seems like it's covered some pretty neat subjects. I'll have to give it a look.
Yeah they have had some really great black guests in the industry. Man Bishoptl you should go on there man, would be great. I gave a shout out to Black GAF and he said he wanted to do a GAF show in the future.

RedSwirl

Just saw House I Live In.

Most of the stuff I was already aware of I guess. The one big thing that surprised me was Nixon's original approach to the war on drugs. That and I'd been looking for a while for information on how drug laws originally got started.

or am I trippin?

From the beginning Kojima straight-up said he designed Quiet for two reasons: sex appeal and cosplayers.

"You will be ashamed of your words and deeds" sounds like a cut line from Halo 2.

Yeah they have had some really great black guests in the industry. Man Bishoptl you should go on there man, would be great. I gave a shout out to Black GAF and he said he wanted to do a GAF show in the future.

I've been spitballing getting more guests on my Halo podcast, but we haven't had a whole lot to cover lately.

Any of you guys have Law Enforcement in your family? A few in mine and they are good people. Never talk cop stuff with them though, I always figure that's the last shit they want to talk about when we all get together.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Any of you guys have Law Enforcement in your family? A few in mine and they are good people. Never talk cop stuff with them though, I always figure that's the last shit they want to talk about when we all get together.

Yeah my aunt is a cop but like you nothing is ever really discussed. I'll hear a story or two every so often but that's it. I still don't trust any of them. They can be good people but bad cops.

akira28

yep, don't talk cop stuff with a cop. 90% of the time they side with the police. no matter what.

got me sitting in a restaurant feeling like dude from Breaking Bad, not gonna say shit.

just going to watch the grown folks talk.

Thanks, yes they do a great job.

No worries, we just finished taping this morning. It should be out on Tuesday.

MWS, what was your show about? I've been talking off and on with those brothers for almost a year about getting on but scheduling hasn't worked out yet. They've been wanting to chat about my industry experience on the journo-side, but I've been a little apprehensive because I'm so damned bitter about all of it - and told them so. I don't want to bring the rain to a show that is clearly creating so much positive buzz. Is speaking salty about my experience and observations in the industry something that people even want to hear? Just fielding general thoughts.

zeemumu

I'm lovin' that death battle thread. I have no massive stake in either Raiden or Wolverine except for my pride in being right, and Spider-Man already won his match.

Slayven

I imagine having a cop in the family is a lot like having mob in the family. You don't talk about shit unless you enlisted, even then not everything

Furyous

or am I trippin?

Bruh, MGSV is the impossible white man videogame come to life.
Fake
Big Boss is
a white medic from west bumblefuck Iowa that turns into the greatest soldier forever because REASONS
. Eli is the white savior complex come to life as only the blonde white son of big boss could lead the inferiors. Skullface is the only somewhat reedemable person IMHO and that's because he has no face ol fake ass Wade Wilson. Quiet has clothes that are hard as shit to unlock.

Slayven

Anyone else watching Fear the Walking dead? Isn't it weird that
every major zombie thing the family has encountered was a black dude? Except for the one white chick in the beginning.

That Fresh Prince thread got me wondering about everyone else's favorite black sitcoms. Let's rank all the ones we've seen.

My list

High Tier
Good Times
Martin
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Living Single

Mid Tier
Sister Sister
Everybody Hates Chris
Family Matters
Jamie Foxx Show
The Proud Family
Moesha
All of Us
A Different World
Girlfriends
The Jeffersons
Amen
Sanford & Son
One on One
The Parenthood

Low Tier
The Wayans Bros.
The PJs
Smart Guy
What's Happening
The Parkers
The Cosby Show
My Wife & Kids
The Hughleys
Homeboys in Outer Space

Can't remember well enough to rank:
Hanging with Mr. Cooper
Roc
Malcolm & Eddie

I haven't watched many of the new ones, but they look pretty bad to me, especially Soul Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom