• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy

I recommend you Americans watch this. 90s UK sitcom

2iGulN6.jpg
LOL. that takes me back.

One day, I'm going to write a giant fuck you to the many creators who spout that "sociology has nothing to do with art/doesn't dictate art" shit.

It's so hollow, so transparent, so naive, so fucking mindless.

I could say all art is propaganda till my head explodes, but it seems like people have this idea in their heads that their expressions don't reflect their environment, experiences, and how they interpret them.

As someone who works in the arts, I get really tired of hearing artists, namely white male ones, attempt that "head in the clouds" baloney.

andthebeatgoeson

The more you know.

https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2014

2014 had 47 police officer deaths by gunfire.

During 1900, there were 68.
During 1910, there were 98.
During 1920, there were 169.
During 1930, at the height of the gangsta rap craze, there were 192.
During 1940, there were 63.
During 1950, there were 53.
During 1960, there were 50.
During 1970, there were 111.
During 1980, there were 104.
During 1990, there were 60.
During 2000, there were 50.
During 2010, there were 59.

I started this post just so y'all can have a quick link. I told someone (a doctor) how much crime has dropped over the past 20-30 years (1/3 of violent crime compared to early 1990s) and they didn't believe me. Not that I expect them to but it's a nice rebuttal to people's arguments. Not completely related but I'm sure topics of crime or police deaths come up and that Fox bullshit just falls out their mouths. Some of the same people who complain about a war on police don't even have a historical perspective. These guys would straight lose their damn mind if this was the 70's or the 1930s. Hell, I can even argue that gangster rap helped saved police lives. Look at that drop. 1987: 79 cops were shot. By 1990, Ice Cube was really having an impact.

jmood88

The more you know.

https://www.odmp.org/search/year?year=2014

2014 had 47 police officer deaths by gunfire.

During 1900, there were 68.
During 1910, there were 98.
During 1920, there were 169.
During 1930, at the height of the gangsta rap craze, there were 192.
During 1940, there were 63.
During 1950, there were 53.
During 1960, there were 50.
During 1970, there were 111.
During 1980, there were 104.
During 1990, there were 60.
During 2000, there were 50.
During 2010, there were 59.

I started this post just so y'all can have a quick link. I told someone (a doctor) how much crime has dropped over the past 20-30 years (1/3 of violent crime compared to early 1990s) and they didn't believe me. Not that I expect them to but it's a nice rebuttal to people's arguments. Not completely related but I'm sure topics of crime or police deaths come up and that Fox bullshit just falls out their mouths. Some of the same people who complain about a war on police don't even have a historical perspective. These guys would straight lose their damn mind if this was the 70's or the 1930s. Hell, I can even argue that gangster rap helped saved police lives. Look at that drop. 1987: 79 cops were shot. By 1990, Ice Cube was really having an impact.

Someone needs to make that thread. People already think that I hate police so I can't do it.

Numb

People of color seems alright when said.They are just other people with different skin tones.
Something about colored people makes it seem like the people saying it are the default/normal ones and the colored are out of the ordinary.
Much prefer the first one.

A girl I knew was pouring her heart out to me about her ex. "He was the first colored boy I've ever been with"

-_-
I'd have spit my drunk at her face. If I didn't have one (doubtful), I'd pour one just to do it..
We really need to start double checking with Black EuroGAF on some of EuroGAF claims of "it's not racist here". Ex: Idris took a nice jab at the term "too street" on Twitter for something that EuroGAF claimed the US was over reacting about.
I've honestly been thinking the same lately..

jmood88

We really need to start double checking with Black EuroGAF on some of EuroGAF claims of "it's not racist here". Ex: Idris took a nice jab at the term "too street" on Twitter for something that EuroGAF claimed the US was over reacting about.
Well that's just because Idris has been spending so much time in the U.S. If he was still in Europe full time, he wouldn't have taken offense.

If someone says "it's not racist here" I don't care where they're from, they're either lying or oblivious.

EuroGAF always saying problematic shit. Need to be called out on that bullshit more.

Numb

Well that's just because Idris has been spending so much time in the U.S. If he was still in Europe full time, he wouldn't have taken offense.

He should probably take it as a compliment since many boast about ''being from the streets''.

Numb

Except the British actor but these are just details.

James Bond guy can go suck it although i don't mind him being one.
What i need is this.
Much more familiar with Jon Stewart from the animated shows as green lantern.
Also how is he making that horrible animated suit from the movie look good?
Actually that brings up something I've been wanting to ask for a while. For the black people in here not in the US, what's it like being black in your country?

People here are too nice other than the far and few inbetween super old racist ladies that fear you for no reason.
They are used to having people from all around the world everywhere not just black. Sweden by the way.
Nicest i know.

Someone needs to make that thread. People already think that I hate police so I can't do it.

I'll do it, except I'm going to try to get the statistics for every year to prove it's the lowest it's ever been, and maybe throw in statistics on deaths of minorities from gunfire to gauge against.

DizzyCrow

Actually that brings up something I've been wanting to ask for a while. For the black people in here not in the US, what's it like being black in your country?
I'm Brazilian, it is as bad(probably worse) than in the US. Black people here are a little over half of the population, racism is more veiled but always present. 4th biggest inmate population, our police is the first in killings of civilians and are held accountable less, around 70%-80% of their victims are black males between 15 and 29 years old. Black women are extremely objectified, are the biggest victims of obstetric violence, I'm on my phone so I can't type a lot but you get the idea.

I'm Brazilian, it is as bad(probably worse) than in the US. Black people here are a little over half of the population, racism is more veiled but always present. 4th biggest inmate population, our police is the first in killings of civilians and are held accountable less, around 70%-80% of their victims are black males between 15 and 29 years old. I'm on my phone right now but you get the idea.
Bet they like that hippityhop tho

Kreed

I started watching these after you linked it last week and I'm definitely referencing a couple of these in the eventual Black Pete/Gypsy threads, but what I mean is when a EuroGAFer says something in a thread like:

"This is another example of the US overreacting and putting their racism onto us. In Europe, the term "you stupid nigger" means 'Sir, would you like some Blue Bell Ice Cream?'. You Americans need to learn that words can have different meanings."

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I just saw some of the saddest, happiest, and funniest moments of television on American Ninja Warrior.

Two people (almost three) make it to the final stage in Las Vegas. Before this season no one had completed stage three. First guy attempts the fourth stage, which is a 75 ft climb up a rope in 30 seconds or fewer. Dude completes it with less than a half second left. He's excited, I'm ecstatic. As long as the second guy finishes slower than him, he's won 1,000,00 bucks.

Second guy: "Bitch you ain't shit."

Second guy climbs that rope like the money is actually at the top, I have never seen someone move that fast. He finishes with more than three seconds to spare.

To be so close to that cash and then have some dude snatch it from him. That man didn't just take his money, he toke his soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom