• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

Someone was kind enough to film Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark and post it to YouTube. I don't know what to think of it. Goblin's got a piano, Carnage is now a mutant made out of blood, A giant carboard cutout of Spidey's arms saved a giant baby...

Slayven

Reference the cast of General Hospital

CPbrBz8UsAEHyuO.jpg

I read an article about African american appropriating African culture. We cant appropriate African culture because its OUR culture our people are originally from africa.

I read that dumbass article and had a long rant typed out and then I deleted it, you have to be a complete asshole of a human being to look down on a group of people who have been culturally cut off in every sense of the word for hundreds of years trying to connect to something they feel may be close to their origin, the whole thing is on some devide and conquer shit

Jacir

I already mentioned that black Twitter never sleeps when it comes to fuckery. Just didn't want to mention the white woman's name because either way everyone needed to fucking Google her to know who she was in the first place. Another example of white female on her high horse saying that she cared for black women. It's bad that even when the most positive and historical achievement by a minority, in this case are black women, is celebrated that it is immediately countered with different angles of opposition even from social justice proponents and made worse they are women themselves. The intersectionality isn't there.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Honest opinion: I appreciate this and think it is a good thing.

If you are going to stand up and brand yourself a pedophile or virtuous mission pedophile or whatever the fuck, that's great. Awesome. Tell everyone. That way we can keep children far away from you.

Whatever you think you have under control, that's not up to you. In my eyes, once you are found or admit to be a pedophile, you do not go near children; you do not place yourself in situations where children are near; you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Honest opinion: I appreciate this and think it is a good thing.

If you are going to stand up and brand yourself a pedophile or virtuous mission pedophile or whatever the fuck, that's great. Awesome. Tell everyone. That way we can keep children far away from you.

Whatever you think you have under control, that's not up to you. In my eyes, once you are found or admit to be a pedophile, you do not go near children; you do not place yourself in situations where children are near; you do not pass go, you do not collect $200.

100% agree with this also fuck that grandma.

Numb

Hmm interesting. If you know Arabic, I assume so because your from Somalia, I want to know something. When I asked my mother what and where does my name come from, she said it was an Arabic name and it meant brave. Does Jacir sound Arabic to you or may it be a romanized version?

I knew alittle arabic when i was little but your name is in there for for sure. It is just that it starts with ''J'' instead of the ''Y'' or the ''I''things usually start with. For example, Josef, and jonas both the same name but said differently. In this case Yusuf/Yusef for Josef and Yunas for Jonas. That is why in the religions they got the same guys in there but the names are just differently. If i were to say your name it would be Yasir/Yasser. It could be arabic in this case but it means to be rich not brave. So i am not sure. Checking further it could mean that too.
one who makes things easier, one who directs to the right path, one who goes against the tide
I pronounce your name as Yasser by the way when i read it.

hypernima

Banned
Alexis better shut her General Hospital ass up!

But since nobody is going to get that reference, yeah, Nancy is a dumbass for those tweets.

As for the African/African Americans appropriating thing... Yeah, that article was based on what that lady perceived as appropriation, but was instead a bunch of Africans wearing African clothing.

The argument never carried weight because African Americans aren't trying to erase history, or profit off of it for the most part. They also don't have the power to do any erasure. So it's not like white people at all.

As a Nigerian myself, I think a bunch of Africans need to chill the fuck out with their grudges towards African Americans.

I didn't know you and Africanus were fellow naijas. and yea Africans do need to chill but for real I know a lot of Africans with denial and self hate issues themselves, so it just seems like projection.

Jacir

I knew alittle arabic when i was little but your name is in there for for sure. It is just that it starts with ''J'' instead of the ''Y'' or the ''I''things usually start with. For example, Josef, and jonas both the same name but said differently. In this case Yusuf/Yusef for Josef and Yunas for Jonas. That is why in the religions they got the same guys in there but the names are just differently. If i were to say your name it would be Yasir/Yasser. It could be arabic in this case but it means to be rich not brave. So i am not sure. Checking further it could mean that too.
I pronounce your name as Yasser by the way when i read it.

Nice info here. Thank you. I wonder if there's a Swahili equivalent.

Numb

Nice info here. Thank you. I wonder if there's a Swahili equivalent.

Means the same. There are a ton of arabic/western/christians/muslim names in Kenya.
You can get the same meaning as everywhere else. The unque names in swahili are those native to the country and they are very different from everything else.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
This lady is 107 years old. Fled her hometown (Ellisville, Mississippi) at age 7 when it was feared her father was going to be lynched by white mobs. Now she's back 100 years later.

Honestly I couldn't get through the video without alternating between pride and being very, very pissed off.

Slayven

This lady is 107 years old. Fled her hometown (Ellisville, Mississippi) at age 7 when it was feared her father was going to be lynched by white mobs. Now she's back 100 years later.

Honestly I couldn't get through the video without alternating between pride and being very, very pissed off.

Goddamn they put that shit in the newspaper? They literally put "Negro going to hang at 5 oclock and there isn't shit anyone can do about it"

Numb

Thought nothing went down after she left but then that other guy...
That zoom in on the random confederate flag after talking about what changed.

harSon

Banned

Similar thing happened to my grandfather. He was born in an ass backwards small town in Alabama, and had to flee due to someone's barn burning down and locals blaming the only black family within a rock throw's distance. This was in the 1920s.

He met my grandmother in Oklahoma, working odd jobs try to make his way to San Francisco.

zeemumu

You would think avoiding the place for a century was a little much.
Going by what went down it seems completely rational.

But think about that span of time. A CENTURY. Think about leaving some place and saying "I'll be back in 100 years or so." I would get instant future shock from that if I had been reminded that it had been 100 years.

Similar thing happened to my grandfather. He was born in an ass backwards small town in Alabama, and had to flee due to someone's barn burning down and locals blaming the only black family within a rock throw's distance. This was in the 1920s.

He met my grandmother in Oklahoma, working odd jobs try to make his way to San Francisco.

My great grandmother was born in Texas but I never really got any stories like that from her. I've gotten a few stories from my dad, though. He grew up in Florida.

Numb

But think about that span of time. A CENTURY. Think about leaving some place and saying "I'll be back in 100 years or so." I would get instant future shock from that if I had been reminded that it had been 100 years.

Indeed. Matters the reason you left in the first place. Getting chased away in this manner and people like you going through that shit extends how long you stay away by ALOT.
Good version is you retire and go back to your home town after many years. Usually not a 100 tho.

That newspaper got me all fucked up. Reminded me how much I hate journalism, though I understand its power and necessity. It can be warped into such a monster.

zeemumu

I'm going insane with this downtime. Do people just work out all day? Doesn't that get boring? I get bored after a few hours, but I'd like to spend more time out of the house, and all of my friends are busy. The hell do I do with the rest of this downtime? Fall Quarter doesn't start for a few more days. Imma need a suggestion from you guys: give me a skill to master.

Aww-Hell-Naw-Hell-naw-Hell-no-no-no-way-will-smith-GIF.gif

Numb

That's even too much for MK

I'm going insane with this downtime. Do people just work out all day? Doesn't that get boring? I get bored after a few hours, but I'd like to spend more time out of the house, and all of my friends are busy. The hell do I do with the rest of this downtime? Fall Quarter doesn't start for a few more days. Imma need a suggestion from you guys: give me a skill to master.

Aww-Hell-Naw-Hell-naw-Hell-no-no-no-way-will-smith-GIF.gif
Cook or check out your local library for books. Takes you out the house too.
I can suggest soe mangas if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom