• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Africanus

I read an article about African american appropriating African culture. We cant appropriate African culture because its OUR culture our people are originally from africa.

Ahh, I don't know what article you're referencing (although oddly enough, a friend brought it up in a discussion on Friday) and I suppose it was patronizing unfortunately.

As a whole, I don't mind African-Americans attempting to reconnect with their roots, as they were so terribly stolen from them.

The problem for me at times, is when the roots are "fetishized" in a sense, with black people viewing everything about Africa as superior, and treating it as a monolith.

For example, a woman coming up to me, upon learning I was descended directly from Nigeria, and attempting to speak Zulu (South Africa) to me as an Igbo speaker (Nigeria).

Then the people who garnish sacred traditional items as if they were mere trinkets. I won't even delve into the ones deemed "Hoteps".

So yes it is possible, but I will say that the line is very much finer than, say, a white woman wearing a headdress.

I suppose in this, moderation is key. I believe (if possible, which it often isn't) that every African-American should visit the mother continent, learn of the culture of their ancestors (if they can DNA trace them, but approximation works), even use symbols and whatnot. Just be respectful.

Slayven

It was all right, so many remakes and remastered this year tho

Nah.

still going to sleep on your couch
3860540-bruh+man+leaves.gif

andthebeatgoeson

Not true people in Africa love african americans. When i was African i got treated different when people found out i was from america.
That's because they wanted to borrow 5 dollars, which is actually a years worth of pay in some places. You was walking in like King Joffe into the McDowell's.

Y'all keep talking about slay being a mod, forgetting the last time y'all talked about mods. I'll see y'all in November.

Numb

Ahh, I don't know what article you're referencing (although oddly enough, a friend brought it up in a discussion on Friday) and I suppose it was patronizing unfortunately.

As a whole, I don't mind African-Americans attempting to reconnect with their roots, as they were so terribly stolen from them.

The problem for me at times, is when the roots are "fetishized" in a sense, with black people viewing everything about Africa as superior, and treating it as a monolith.

For example, a woman coming up to me, upon learning I was descended directly from Nigeria, and attempting to speak Zulu (South Africa) to me as an Igbo speaker (Nigeria).

Then the people who garnish sacred traditional items as if they were mere trinkets. I won't even delve into the ones deemed "Hoteps".

So yes it is possible, but I will say that the line is very much finer than, say, a white woman wearing a headdress.

I suppose in this, moderation is key. I believe (if possible, which it often isn't) that every African-American should visit the mother continent, learn of the culture of their ancestors (if they can DNA trace them, but approximation works), even use symbols and whatnot. Just be respectful.

And then sometimes when you look into your roots you find out that your country was one of those that kept slaves with the help of arabs. Mostly bantu and nilotes and called them ''jareer'' a word meaning hard hair(reffering to the bantus and nilotes in this case) turned and replaced for slave. It is still used today on the regular to describe those that are not cushites as an insult even. I knew of the negative meaning behind it but when i discovered it straight up was used as slave before and people say it on the daily still you can imagine my shock.Check out the wiki for more info. Very short page.
Seems like i could have descended from the owners not the slaves themselves.

DizzyCrow

I read an article about African american appropriating African culture. We cant appropriate African culture because its OUR culture our people are originally from africa.
I was discussing this with some friends a few days ago(we're Brazilian though). While I agree that using some objects without the full knowledge of what it represents may be disrespectful, we really don't mean it, actually we want to reconnect with our ancestors culture, that was beaten out of them when they were brought here.

How can we appropriate a culture that is ours too? I wish I knew where exactly my direct ancestors came from, but the only records of slaves we had were burned(slaved owners wanted tht the government pay for the slaves they lost with the abolishment, Treasury department said fuck it burn everything), so we end up using items from every nation/tribe.

Slayven

Man that Dawkins thread is trash
It is actually pretty interesting and meta. Like how any accomplishment from a minority has to be +10 to be equal to the majority baseline. Even then that minority will have an Asterix beside it.

Then you have the issue where the larger issue gets obfuscated by some nitpicking detail.

I hope someone does a good case study and writeup on the situation.

Slayven

Man I just get so tired discussing racism and bigotry. It's like what's the point when the internet is suppose to be a progressive place tells you "fuck you and your couch". If you get it from both sides it is hard not to give up and say "you win, me and my people ain't shit".

You can only hear "be glad we let you live" before you start saying thank you back

hypernima

Banned

this

I was thinking of writing a rebuttal but i dont know if i want the wahala.

It is actually pretty interesting and meta. Like how any accomplishment from a minority has to be +10 to be equal to the majority baseline. Even then that minority will have an Asterix beside it.

Then you have the issue where the larger issue gets obfuscated by some nitpicking detail.

I hope someone does a good case study and writeup on the situation.

They can detect even the slightest flaw, but when racism happens right in front of their nose it's a mystery
f4ZATIT.gif

Numb

Man I just get so tired discussing racism and bigotry. It's like what's the point when the internet is suppose to be a progressive place tells you "fuck you and your couch". If you get it from both sides it is hard not to give up and say "you win, me and my people ain't shit".

You can only hear "be glad we let you live" before you start saying thank you back

You understand where i stand now. Why would you argue with people that basically have selective amnesia when the very next day they choose to forget everything and start over from zero. Happens again and again and again... I have so little faith in people i am sometimes shocked some random dude hasn't stabbed me and everyone like me in the throat yet with all the shit you see. Be glad you are alive and make sure to say the thank you. You could be dead.

Talkong bout racism online is one pf the most soul crushing experiences I have ever witnessed. I wanted to believe that we were finally would be moving past this bullshit, but motherfuckers keep proving me wrong.

Starting to get really bitter about this shit.

Numb

Talkong bout racism online is one pf the most soul crushing experiences I have ever witnessed. I wanted to believe that we were finally would be moving past this bullshit, but motherfuckers keep proving me wrong.

Starting to get really bitter about this shit.

Expect nothing and you will never be dissapointed.
Especially from random people on the internet.

Unless its someone close I don't even discuss it anymore. I smh and move on.

Jacir

So I'm listening to a podcast now and I just checked Twitter. Didn't realize what was going on but black Twitter is never asleep. I barely watch award shows and I didn't watch TV last night either, so the ongoing drama is all not surprising, fun to witness and awesome that finally the first black woman has won an Emmy for Best Actress in 2015. Respect to Viola Davis.

Ive lost friends over this shit. people and there microaggressions.

Jacir

And then sometimes when you look into your roots you find out that your country was one of those that kept slaves with the help of arabs. Mostly bantu and nilotes and called them ''jareer'' a word meaning hard hair(reffering to the bantus and nilotes in this case) turned and replaced for slave. It is still used today on the regular to describe those that are not cushites as an insult even. I knew of the negative meaning behind it but when i discovered it straight up was used as slave before and people say it on the daily still you can imagine my shock.Check out the wiki for more info. Very short page.
Seems like i could have descended from the owners not the slaves themselves.

Hmm interesting. If you know Arabic, I assume so because your from Somalia, I want to know something. When I asked my mother what and where does my name come from, she said it was an Arabic name and it meant brave. Does Jacir sound Arabic to you or may it be a romanized version?

Slayven

Ms Davis put in that work and got the win. 67 years and the first black actress, that is not a good look for the academy and the industry

Ms Davis put in that work and got the win. 67 years and the first black actress, that is not a good look for the academy and the industry

https://twitter.com/NancyLeeGrahn
Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn 10h10 hours ago Los Angeles, CA
I wish I loved #ViolaDavis Speech, but I thought she should have let @shondarhimes write it. #Emmys

30 yrs an advocate 4 human rights & now i'm a racist. Color me heartbroken. Twitter can bring out the best & sadly tonight the worst of us.
Liberal PP supporter, too

she does sound sorry, but that 1st comment just screams ignorance

Edit|:twitter going ham now, oh boy

Slayven

https://twitter.com/NancyLeeGrahn

Liberal PP supporter, too

she does sound sorry, but that 1st comment just screams ignorance

They just don't get it. All she had to say of "Go girl", but she had to be extra and put an Astrix by Davis' win.

And always kills me "I do human rights work", "I marched with King", etc It is like they only do the work to earn credit to fuck up.

Black Twitter is roasting her so hard, those fires are too hot even for Natsu

Guessing she was jealous that kid got all those gifts as well..sounds bitter as all hell. What's so hard about saying the word sorry and disengaging? Sheesh..

Alexis better shut her General Hospital ass up!

But since nobody is going to get that reference, yeah, Nancy is a dumbass for those tweets.

As for the African/African Americans appropriating thing... Yeah, that article was based on what that lady perceived as appropriation, but was instead a bunch of Africans wearing African clothing.

The argument never carried weight because African Americans aren't trying to erase history, or profit off of it for the most part. They also don't have the power to do any erasure. So it's not like white people at all.

As a Nigerian myself, I think a bunch of Africans need to chill the fuck out with their grudges towards African Americans.

Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn 3h3 hours ago
@MelioraEsq OK but to me it seemed over dramatic. It was an acting award. i never expected every black twitterer to attack and have

@tripleBbbbb they wont stop

Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn
@deathspool how many different ways should I apologize? Mea culpa. Mea Culpa.

@MuvaKendra well that certainly wasnt my intention.. Id never want to undermine ur achievements.

@nancygilesnyc Ive been schooled

Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn 2h2 hours ago Los Angeles, CA
@MelioraEsq dm

@MelioraEsq the meaness of these ppl tonight. I feel betrayed by ppl I would've marched for.

@MelioraEsq I surrender but im heartbroken and angry. Itll take time

Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn 3h3 hours ago Los Angeles, CA
@MelioraEsq Its an acting award. my tweet was just a tweet. Now im worthy of being on the news. Good Lord. They feel outraged? I was ambushe

@MelioraEsq @my they are hateful and attacking.

Nancy Lee Grahn ‏@NancyLeeGrahn 3h3 hours ago Los Angeles, CA
@MelioraEsq @my I understand. I commented about a very rich A list actress winning a trophy, To receive this vitriol is unwarrented

@MelioraEsq Ive spent my life defending their right to be respected

@MelioraEsq and after being on my knees have no firgiveness. Im fucking trending
black twitters

my friends, this is the ether burning slow in her heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom