• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Ain't no place good

7c5a39a1b8d562c8100cee06b8573935.gif

zeemumu

Cook or check out your local library for books. Takes you out the house too.
I can suggest soe mangas if interested.

I uh...I try to stay out of downtown when I don't need to be there, and that's where the library is.

Maybe I should take a bunch of skills and put them in a hat.

Numb

So I was the only person who saw the link title and went "NOPE"?
Sometimes the headline is enough but some other times you need to know more.
This is such a case.
I uh...I try to stay out of downtown when I don't need to be there, and that's where the library is.

Maybe I should take a bunch of skills and put them in a hat.

So much to do it is hard to pick one. Try as much as you want.

Ain't no place good
I'm not gonna disagree, but considering I just had to watch two yuppie women in their fancy truck flying a giant confederate flag? The fact that only seeing one today is like winning the lottery? Yeah, fuck this place. Go Gators, though..daughter loves em, so we good.

And yeah..DC is plenty good. To me, at least..

You're not going to escape racism
In DC? LOL..I'll escape that fucking flag on a daily, and those that would even consider rocking that stupid flag IN DC are outnumbered..and know better..
Ain't no place that far

*replies to comment about escaping racism with quote from most likely racist Disney film*
lol.

DC is the most comfortable I've been as a human being..no joke. Only time you deal with shit is when interacting with the tourist..and I mean the southern ones.

Numb

In DC? LOL..I'll escape that fucking flag on a daily, and those that would even consider rocking that stupid flag IN DC are outnumbered..and know better..

What is crazy is the people rocking it outside the US.
You know they ain't trying to make excuses on why they have it.
And the only cars they drive are muscle cars or pickups.

zeemumu

I don't think most people in the old world get racism because they only see it as an extreme. You can do it as long as no one is hurt or directly discriminated against...or if it involves futbol. Or at least it always seems that way.

Australia, UK, Germany..always funny. It only means one thing over there..at minimum, they are honest..
I don't think most people outside the US get racism because they only see it as an extreme. You can do it as long as no one is hurt or directly discriminated against...or if it involves futbol.
People see what they want to see..everything else is blah blah blah. Outsiders get no pass..

Numb

I don't think most people outside the US get racism because they only see it as an extreme. You can do it as long as no one is hurt or directly discriminated against...or if it involves futbol.
The guys with them outside the US are those very few that are about that in-your-face racist life.

Australia, UK, Germany..always funny. It only means one thing over there..at minimum, they are honest..

Indeed.
They make sure to drive around town atleast once a week blasting music with the flag flying free or covering the entire back window.
Crazy stuff.

Jacir

Means the same. There are a ton of arabic/western/christians/muslim names in Kenya.
You can get the same meaning as everywhere else. The unque names in swahili are those native to the country and they are very different from everything else.

Yea I understand that. I'm not even from the east coastline so its not much of a thing to connect to. Anyway, I think appropriating is what I would be doing if I went overboard with trying to find more meaning out a given name.

Africanus

Alexis better shut her General Hospital ass up!

But since nobody is going to get that reference, yeah, Nancy is a dumbass for those tweets.

As for the African/African Americans appropriating thing... Yeah, that article was based on what that lady perceived as appropriation, but was instead a bunch of Africans wearing African clothing.

The argument never carried weight because African Americans aren't trying to erase history, or profit off of it for the most part. They also don't have the power to do any erasure. So it's not like white people at all.

As a Nigerian myself, I think a bunch of Africans need to chill the fuck out with their grudges towards African Americans.

See and this is where I agree with you. I don't think it's anywhere near equal to the regular discussion of appropriation. And the grudges are often real, although I've mostly observed it among the older generation in my family who weren't born in/teenagers/young adults in America.

I didn't know you and Africanus were fellow naijas. and yea Africans do need to chill but for real I know a lot of Africans with denial and self hate issues themselves, so it just seems like projection.
It probably is, as many are doubly torn down for their blackness in addition to their African heritage. And yup! Family came from Abia state in 1991.

Florida. Oh dear.

Numb

Yea I understand that. I'm not even from the east coastline so its not much of a thing to connect to. Anyway, I think appropriating is what I would be doing if I went overboard with trying to find more meaning out a given name.

Not my birth name but the one i am known for by everyone and identify as is german based(Kaiser AKA Caesar ) written differently. Was told it means something completely different by people which was ofcourse wrong. It was either that which no one else has or an arab based name(actually my birth name). It's generic and know atleast 6 other guys who currently also have it. Never met any other person with the one i identify as tho. Especially who writes it in the same way.

See and this is where I agree with you. I don't think it's anywhere near equal to the regular discussion of appropriation. And the grudges are often real, although I've mostly observed it among the older generation in my family who weren't born in/teenagers/young adults in America.

It probably is, as many are doubly torn down for their blackness in addition to their African heritage. And yup! Family came from Abia state in 1991.

Florida. Oh dear.

Well shit, we're both Southern Nigerians. My parents are from Delta State. Showed up a decade before.

zeemumu

I'll switch back when the (real) Walking Dead TV show comes back. Right now it's all about Black Jesus.

I just caught up in Walking Dead. They're nearing the point where I stopped in the comics. Things went a lot smoother with
Alexandria
in the comics.
Rick didn't go nuts on the population (and was also missing his hand because the Governor chopped it off), Daryl didn't exist so nothing with him happened, Michonne hooked up with Morgan, Carl had the thought process of Sasha that everything was bullshit because they were all worried about mundane things, but it wasn't as bad as hers, and Andrea became the resident sniper.

Slayven

Watching Minority Report tv show. Every third person is an asian chick and the main chick is solving murders by doing Janet Jackson's rhythm nation routine while wearing occulus rift contact lenses.

Numb

Watching Minority Report tv show. Every third person is an asian chick and the main chick is solving murders by doing Janet Jackson's rhythm nation routine while wearing occulus rift contact lenses.

They made a show of the movie?Will check it.
Movies getting show sequels now. Limtless show was cool. Always like genius stupid stuff.

Numb

Actual sequel that takes place like a decade or so.

The transporter series was straight boo boo

I looked at that and knew there was nothing there.
There are so many movies that didn't get sequels with a great world or concept that could be expanded in tv form. Hope this trend continues.

Slayven

I looked at that and knew there was nothing there.
There are so many movies that didn't get sequels with a great world or concept that could be expanded in tv form. Hope this trend continues.

I am digging it so far, I like the role reversal of the white dude being helpless and the black women being strong and fierce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom