• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Hold up, how the hell did the Steelers lose? I turned after Flacco got sacked on 4th down cause I assumed the game was done.

it was this really cool fighting game back in the day that had link and heihachi in it.

Yo you have no idea how much that Link begging for the HD version of SCII pissed me off..

Like breh if SCIIHD was a dope ass port, people weren't gonna buy it because no link....

Maaaan fuck Link....

Hey y'all. I'm on the fence about grabbing the new Star Wars (PS4) game. Are any of you folks picking it up? Don't really feel like picking up a shooter that I'll be playing solo..not really into that anymore. If so, let me know. Thanks..

Hey y'all. I'm on the fence about grabbing the new Star Wars (PS4) game. Are any of you folks picking it up? Don't really feel like picking up a shooter that I'll be playing solo..not really into that anymore. If so, let me know. Thanks..

Day one digital for me. No turning back

Hold up, how the hell did the Steelers lose? I turned after Flacco got sacked on 4th down cause I assumed the game was done.

Kicker was trash

Slayven

already preordered the deluxe edition

Numb

I'm actually dressing up as Finn for Halloween.

tumblr_mxkkr7Bpbm1rztdgoo1_1280.jpg
yep

The lack of black movies isn't that surprising to me in that vote results thread, given the likely majority on here and going off my experience with film majors in college. When I was a media studies major at college, the white students seemed to have no knowledge on any movies with a black cast outside of Do the Right Thing and Boyz in The Hood. I recall in my screenwriting class when the other black guy in there said one of the characters in my script reminded him of Pam Grier, someone asked who Pam Grier is and he looked at him weirdly for a quick nano second and then said Jackie Brown and then the rest of the class nodded their heads.

From time to time I mentioned other black films in class, but no one seemed to know what I was talking about except for me and the few other black students. It made it apparent that they definitely grew up just watching a certain selection of movies while we watched a lot of what they watched too, but a lot of black films as well.

These are the black cast films that stays in conversation with black folk in my experience:

Boyz N the Hood
Menace II Society
Dead Presidents
Set It Off
Poetic Justice
Friday
Baby Boy

Love Jones
Love & Basketball (Black women love the hell out of these two)

Trey

Dear White People not good enough to slide into the pantheon of all time black films.

And Malcolm X, like Ali, are the black biopics that everyone says they've seen but no one ever talks about.

Numb

lol..

Y'all need to kill that spoiler stuff 😠
The enitire plot was right infront of us all along

Dear White People not good enough to slide into the pantheon of all time black films.

And Malcolm X, like Ali, are the black biopics that everyone says they've seen but no one ever talks about.

Something about dear white people has kept me away.
It a good watch?

Well Dear White People is very recent. When I had just graduated from college last year it wasn't out yet, but it was anticipated. I mainly left it out because of how new it is and after i graduated I haven't been talking to many people in real life in general.

Yeah, Malcom X is also definitely one of the most mentioned ones too, but I say it's more with the more of the black intellectuals that talk about it and I'd throw House Party in there also though I don't really like it that much.

Despite its drawbacks, craft wise Dear White People is better than a good number of the pantheon, IMO. I think it and Dope deserve spots. Especially when it comes to modern flicks.

I feel like Dope will join them in the coming years, I'm not quite sure on Dear White People yet. I was very mixed about it. I haven't seen Fruitvale Station, but I recall it getting praise. It might edge into it as well.

Trey

Despite its drawbacks, craft wise Dear White People is better than a good number of the pantheon, IMO. I think it and Dope deserve spots. Especially when it comes to modern flicks.

gonna have to disagree strongly with this. Still have to see Dope though.

Reminds me that Straight outta Compton came out this year too. Now that will definitely get a spot.

I feel like Dope will join them in the coming years, I'm not quite sure on Dear White People yet. I was very mixed about it. I haven't seen Fruitvale Station, but I recall it getting praise. It might edge into it as well.

Fruitvale Station was good, but you only really need to see it the once. I liked the "day in a life" feel. It complemented the emotional weight at the end well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom