• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This is how the whole BLM protesting at Sanders is being interpreted by the masses:

imgur.com/gallery/FlP92Ot

Good god. "Why is the knockout game not getting the same level of publicity as police killings? I know it's not an epidemic and that the people who commit it get caught and pay for their crimes but I just feel that black mom's should be talking to their kids."

Of course the same topic doesn't exist for white kids who riot, use drugs, commit mass shootings and the like but that's obvious since blacks are deadly and spoopy.

Y'all better be ready for these progressives to go in on black folk when sanders doesn't get the nom. The tone in that thread is amazing lol.

Y'all better be ready for these progressives to go in on black folk when sanders doesn't get the nom. The tone in that thread is amazing lol.

I mean, from this first story Kid Kamikaze posted, it won't be our fault. The fervor around him seems to mostly stem from the internet and isn't indicative of his popularity throughout the voting public.

If they're gonna look for someone to blame if he bows out, they should blame themselves for not showing support in some way beyond liking a story that pops up on their Facebook timeline. Hell, I more than likely gonna vote for the dude if he gets the nomination. But treating a frustrated black populace as bullies scaring away ""#TheGreatestAmericanPresident" is laughable.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

There is a guy in there who is a black republican arguing using typical black republican talking points about black people and not a single progressive has told him to stfu besides me.

I don't even want to get into it with him because I've learned you can't ever get a black republican to admit racism exist it would force them to admit that the reason they are all those white peoples only black friend isn't just because the are exceptional black people

There is a guy in there who is a black republican arguing using typical black republican talking points about black people and not a single progressive has told him to stfu besides me.

I don't even want to get into it with him because I've learned you can't ever get a black republican to admit racism exist it would force them to admit that the reason they are all those white peoples only black friend isn't just because the are exceptional black people
I couldn't believe what I was reading

Zeus Molecules

So black people need jobs, so that police will respect and value enough not to kill us?

no no by that threads math the average black family needs 3 generations of upstanding behavior at the very least before the police can't just shoot to kill for minor infractions.

and remember not one supposed progressive in that thread said shit to him when he was spewing that mess.

kinggroin

Banned
The black culture thread is African american culture, correct? As in, you trace your roots to Africa correct?

Because Dominicans and Cubans can be pretty damn black if that's not the case; which means I'd have a thread to participate in!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The black culture thread is African american culture, correct? As in, you trace your roots to Africa correct?

Because Dominicans and Cubans can be pretty damn black if that's not the case; which means I'd have a thread to participate in!
You're more than welcome to participate. We welcome everyone that comes with good will to discuss and hang out in here.

Infinite

Dominicans and Cubans can actually trace their roots back to Africa. Also there's a couple of Latinos who post in here regularly as well as some non-black people. welcome to the thread.

Slayven

we let everyone in, even horses and sonic fans

Slayven

Black people are tired of being told to get the fuck on board, shut the fuck up, and we might get to your shit if we feel like it.

Black people are tired of being told to get the fuck on board, shut the fuck up, and we might get to your shit if we feel like it.
Black people caring about issues that mostly only concern them is controversial. Imagine progressives talking like this when it comes to the LGBT community.

kinggroin

Banned
You're more than welcome to participate. We welcome everyone that comes with good will to discuss and hang out in here.

Dominicans and Cubans can actually trace their roots back to Africa. Also there's a couple of Latinos who post in here regularly as well as some non-black people. welcome to the thread.

we let everyone in, even horses and sonic fans

Thank you very much.

So here's a problem. I have some friends and family that wonder why its always blacks looting or rioting or fall to whatever statistic in crime they do. My explanation is usually founded on the grounds that things didn't start on even ground for black Americans vs white Americans, and then I build an argument from that. Media bias is also called in.

So now this thing with Sanders, wtf am I supposed to say? Cause its going to be a case of "See! See! Told you" and I'm currently not equipped to respond to that. Which sucks because amongst my friends and family, I'm probably the only one (outside my wife) that tries bring reason into these discussions. Empathy especially.

Wish I had black friends at times like these :-/

Edit: And getting new friends and family isn't the answer, before anyone asks X-D

jmood88

For people who support a guy who they love to bring up marched for civil rights in the 60's Bernie stand sure do hate civil disobedience and disruption. Funny how that works.

Yo, if BLM dies, and police reform doesn't happen, it will be because of white liberals and moderates.

Not conservatives, not anyone in government.

White liberals and moderates. And that thread Bernie thread is why.

Zeus Molecules

Thank you very much.

So here's a problem. I have some friends and family that wonder why its always blacks looting or rioting or fall to whatever statistic in crime they do. My explanation is usually founded on the grounds that things didn't start on even ground for black Americans vs white Americans, and then I build an argument from that. Media bias is also called in.

So now this thing with Sanders, wtf am I supposed to say? Cause its going to be a case of "See! See! Told you" and I'm currently not equipped to respond to that. Which sucks because amongst my friends and family, I'm probably the only one (outside my wife) that tries bring reason into these discussions. Empathy especially.

Edit: And getting new friends and family isn't the answer, before anyone asks X-D

You tell them

Black people caring about issues that mostly only concern them is controversial. Imagine progressives talking like this when it comes to the LGBT community.

Then you say that since working class black people don't have a reliable lobbyist system or superpacs dedicated to their issue like other large ethnic/economic groups they're going to force these candidates to deal with this seriously one way or the others.

The ends will justifies the means if when the primary debates happen (and even the general debates) the candidates discuss in detail their plan on how to handle this issue. I hoping this becomes a major issue in the election just like abortions, gay rights, and immigration (aka the key rights of the other major constituents that make up the democratic party) and if Bernie has to eat some shit for all the candidates to know African Americans mean business on this issue I am ok with that and I'm very progressive.

kinggroin

Banned
You tell them

Then you say that since working class black people don't have a reliable lobbyist system or superpacs dedicated to their issue like other large ethnic/economic groups they're going to force these candidates to deal with this seriously one way or the others.

The ends will justifies the means if when the primary debates happen (and even the general debates) the candidates discuss in detail their plan on how to handle this issue. I hoping this becomes a major issue in the election just like abortions, gay rights, and immigration (aka the key rights of the other major constituents that make up the democratic party) and if Bernie has to eat some shit for all the candidates to know African Americans mean business on this issue I am ok with that.

May I quote this post to them with your permission?

Zeus Molecules

May I quote this post to them with your permission?

This is just my opinion man don't quote it like I speak for anyone besides myself..... plus honestly I'm still angry from the bernie thread there is probably a shit ton of misunderstanding going on and I think the debates need to happen sooner than later to clear the air.

Kreed

Thank you very much.

This is already a fallacy. It's not "always" black people in the US looting/rioting. As you pointed out, the media doesn't usually cover white people rioting or they call it something different, as this "parody" video from MSNBC demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSsBYO1oNI

As far as Sanders is concerned I don't know why your family/friends would be bringing him up, but if they do you say these people want a direct response to their cause from Bernie Sanders and he's not giving it to them publicly. I REALLY don't get what's so difficult about this on Bernie's part. In the two Bernie threads I've seen plenty of examples where Bernie is supporting black issues, he just needs to say them to #BLM campaigners/organizers.

kinggroin

Banned
This is just my opinion man don't quote it like I speak for anyone besides myself..... plus honestly I'm still angry from the bernie thread there is probably a shit ton of misunderstanding going on and I think the debates need to happen sooner than later to clear the air.

This is already a fallacy. It's not "always" black people in the US looting/rioting. As you pointed out, the media doesn't usually cover white people rioting or they call it something different, as this "parody" video from MSNBC demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdSsBYO1oNI

As far as Sanders is concerned I don't know why your family/friends would be bringing him up, but if they do you say these people want a direct response to their cause from Bernie Sanders and he's not giving it to them publicly. I REALLY don't get what's so difficult about this on Bernie's part. In the two Bernie threads I've seen plenty of examples where Bernie is supporting black issues, he just needs to say them to #BLM campaigners/organizers.

Yeah I've said as much with regards to the fallacy. Its media bias.

And they'd bring up Sanders cause its in the news and it's political. It'll come up.

I kinda looked at a few posts and I'm assuming most of the white libs of Gaf there are saying BLM is dumb for shutting down his rally and totally missing the point? Not surprised.

That other thread about "why black on white crime isn't a big deal blah blah" met my quota for shit oblivious white gaf says for today.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
the take away is how some liberals/progressive are so quick not only to shit on a movement but a whole race. Even Fox news just dog whistles.
It's basically some, "How dare you, don't you know we're your only hope" bullshit

Africanus

Nah, everyone's accepted. Unless you like KFC.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I have very little faith in people both on a public and personal level and it's really depressing me. The last two years have really eroded a lot of my optimism thanks to different experiences with both.

However...I have a good job and love and respect from my parents; those are the things I try to remind myself to be grateful for.

Infinite

the take away is how some liberals/progressive are so quick not only to shit on a movement but a whole race. Even Fox news just dog whistles.
I stopped putting anything stock in labels like those. People who claimed to be liberals has always disappointed me when it comes to issues affecting black people to the point where I know think being a liberal is fundamentally at odds with recognizing systemic racism.

I need to start playing some video games ASAP.

So frustrated right now. Got me sick of the word "ally". You can't be ally and be on the fuckshit I'm seeing around here. "Rookie ally", "Ally in training", or "exiled ally", maybe. But actual? Nah.

Makes me wonder how MLK dealt with that shit, or better yet, how much he had to compromise, because I know he had it up to here with them too.

And how hard is it to see the difference between paternalism and critique? Seriously, how?

royalan

You know what's funny about all of this to me?

Before ANY of this happened, I was taking that online test to see which candidate I most aligned with along with some friends of mine. And I got like 97% Bernie and 93% Hillary. And my friends were like, "Oh, so are you going to support Sanders now?" And I was like Hell to the naw!

And I explained to them that my issue with Bernie is that whenever I hear him speak, I just sense weakness. I see a man who's hitting all his liberal talking points, but I don't hear passion or a commitment to really fight for his goals. It's one thing to just cast a vote. It's another when it's YOU at the forefront having to push YOUR agenda. I just have no faith in Bernie on the level. Whereas with Hillary, 93% alignment on the issues is fine with me, and on top of that she's proven herself to be a fighter. She's not going to get steamrolled; she's going to push her agenda. I may technically agree more with Bernie, but I have way more faith in Hillary to get things done.

And I said all of this WEEKS before Netroots, and since then Bernie has done nothing but prove me exactly right. I mean, you're really going to let this KEEP happening to you, Bernie? You're really going to be that stubborn? You REALLY can't contain and engage 3 people who hopped up on your stage? Damn...if that's too much for you to handle, I don't even want to bother seeing how you handle a Republican-controlled congress that will literally exist to oppose EVERYTHING you do.

RP912

Banned
I seriously not seeing the Bernie hype at all. Dude just seems like Joe Biden on casual mode. Nothing about dude screams leader of the world.

Slayven

You know what's funny about all of this to me?

Before ANY of this happened, I was taking that online test to see which candidate I most aligned with along with some friends of mine. And I got like 97% Bernie and 93% Hillary. And my friends were like, "Oh, so are you going to support Sanders now?" And I was like Hell to the naw!

And I explained to them that my issue with Bernie is that whenever I hear him speak, I just sense weakness. I see a man who's hitting all his liberal talking points, but I don't hear passion or a commitment to really fight for his goals. It's one thing to just cast a vote. It's another when it's YOU at the forefront having to push YOUR agenda. I just have no faith in Bernie on the level. Whereas with Hillary, 93% alignment on the issues is fine with me, and on top of that she's proven herself to be a fighter. She's not going to get steamrolled; she's going to push her agenda. I may technically agree more with Bernie, but I have way more faith in Hillary to get things done.

And I said all of this WEEKS before Netroots, and since then Bernie has done nothing but prove me exactly right. I mean, you're really going to let this KEEP happening to you, Bernie? You're really going to be that stubborn? You REALLY can't contain and engage 3 people who hopped up on your stage? Damn...if that's too much for you to handle, I don't even want to bother seeing how you handle a Republican-controlled congress that will literally exist to oppose EVERYTHING you do.

Obama does it every time someone tries to run up on him. He listens and talks to t them

kinggroin

Banned
How much stock do you guys and girls put into the quizzes and such that align you to candidates?

I ended up being close to Rubio for everything but social stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom