• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

It's fine, we get to see Jedi Finn first than them.
We do?
Hold dat L guys!
The strong often show mercy on the weak. Enjoy any Atlus games lately?

mad-men-crying.gif

Numb

Where NOA tricked NOE into doing all the localization work and then released the game here.
Also, my president:
Badass-Obama.jpg

Y'all will get whats coming to you one day. His time is running out too.
The NX gets delayed or maybe Monster Hunter X gets delayed. Something.
Can't wait to play SMT IV 2 in 33 years
Don't expect anything from Atlus.
That P4A region lock still pisses me off.

Malyse

Y'all will get whats coming to you one day.
The NX gets delayed or maybe Monster Hunter X gets delayed. Something.
Don't expect anything from Atlus.
That P4A region lock still pisses me off.

You guys get EUROPEAN developed games after us. Curse us and you curse yourself.
anigif_enhanced-6822-1439937456-2.gif

Slayven

i think freenudes is married. a platinum vibrator would be hypoallergenic and completely body safe. If someone is allergic to latex, that would be a fine way to go.

platinum not sodium.
platinum is a really nonreactive metal, thats why they like to use in in medical instruments and implants.
Are you Bill Hero The Science Negro?

I can sort of understand it. I have usually let my identity on here be vague and cloaked in mystery, but fuck it. When I was growing up I was constantly told by my mother that playing games was meant for boys and not for girls. This was a little odd to me since my mother did play Duck Hunt from time to time when I was little, but I believe she thought the amount I play is akin to a male's habits. My mother used to be concerned about it and talked to my father about it when she and him were in the other room, but I could still hear it and she expressed her concerns about it and she came to the conclusion that I would just grow out of it.

As you can see today of course I didn't and I became more intrigued and passionate about the medium as the years went on. During my elementary school years I did talk about games from time to time with both the boys and girls. I wouldn't get scrutinized half the time, but the other half I was mocked by both the boys and the girls for my interests including my different appearance. I believe this was around the 4th grade where this happened the first time. A little more from teasing from the girls probably because I tended to hang around them more because they were my own.

In high school is where the shit hit its peak. I was starting my first novel then and those nosy ass bitches who used to read my shit without permission and ask me about what my influence was laughed at me when I told them my inspiration was Final Fantasy IX. I was also constantly writing out maps and plans for various game ideas as well and used to constantly hear whispers from those girls, who were intentionally whispering loudly enough for me to hear about how I'm a dyke and need to be watched out for because I'm trying to turn someone out and how I'm weirdly obsessed with games like some nerdy ass white boy. There was a small group of other geeks I hung out with for one year back then and that's where I felt some comfort. I was the only female there, but I wasn't scrutinized for my habits. I did witness the boys getting picked on for playing games, but the experience was a bit different for me.

Those particular boys were the ones who were geeks like me and that got talked shit on from other boys, but those same boys did always talking about getting the new Madden or Live because Live was still relevant then and sometimes I heard GTA and Kane & Lynch one time, but oddly, but not surprising given my other exposures, those boys got talked on behind their backs from girls who complained about boys playing those games and how they were more concerned about the game than giving them attention.

These opinions were not limited to hear as I heard similar sentiments from other members of my family. One of my aunts used to say the same thing as my mother. Told me it wasn't lady like and would constantly try to make me play with toys for girls and try to get me into trying out makeup. She really had no filter and said some shit later that I don't want to get into at the moment, but cousins were on a similar tip. One I haven't seen in a while, but the other used to have a Game Gear and a Dreamcast when I was growing up and played it from time to time and later on when I got older I asked her about it and she said she grew out of it and just her man and her boys play and she didn't quite say it, but I could tell on the look on her face that she was questioning why I was still playing them, but the biggest offender was my brother. Despite the fact that he used to play games with me a lot when I was younger, seems pretty adverse to my love of it now. He also made comments about me acting like a nerdy white boy, but said nah "actually I know white boys, you're just some kind of other weird". He never really seemed to have any faith of my aspirations to work in the industry and doesn't seem to believe me when I tell him that I will someday be running my own shit. What really bothered me was how he used to crouch down in front of my younger brother and whisper to him how he doesn't want my little brother to be like me playing games all the time. I also remember my mother saying one time to me that it's bad enough that you're bring all that attention to yourself being a stud along with being into video games, so that's why you have a hard time connecting with people.

Aside from him there were a bunch of other black women I knew that I recall saying that "a grown man shouldn't be playing video games" and this animosity to video games and as a male hobby I've see perpetuated in the media numerous times. One off the top of my head is from Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls when Gabrielle Union's character came off of a date and was complaining to one of her girlfriends about not being able to find a man. Quote script: "And if you're a black woman
that wants to actually date a black man,
kind of difficult.
No, seriously, and if you want a black man
that has good credit,
actually wants to date a black woman
and doesn't play video games.
- Good luck."

Also when I went off to college and I casually mentioned to this girl that I got finish playing a little bit of my game and she said it was a lot and I was like nah it was just a few minutes. Being in school here, I don't have much time to play like I used to and she responded with it's a lot to her because she was brought up being told that it was a boy thing to play video games. It's cool if I do, but it's just weird to her. I did meet a few other women there who did play. One was my RA for like a week who said some fuck shit about Nintendo being too kiddy and another was one I was trying to get with who was a Computer Science major, but she was scandalous and the less I say the better. One day one of my professors gave us an assignment to conduct a student survey about a particular piece of media and since I love games, I try to squeeze it into any of my work when I came and decided to ask about game devices much like that survey. I did get way more men than women from my survey that owned game consoles, it was actually just a measly three. I was quite sad to see that.

My experiences are primarily confined to growing up as a black woman and I interacted with white women and others ethnic groups minimally, so I'm not sure if it's any different for them, but that was the experience I've had with my life. I do wonder what creates these opinions and ideas. Sure, as I have learned the media takes a part in putting these stereotypes and notions into peoples heads and also from your household and social environment. I just hope things advance and that I can come into an environment where my passion and my sexuality are more accepting.

Thanks for sharing that

Numb

I didn't know they changed the main character, unless that's just a joke edit.

At the very least if the game doesn't get funded she could live on in Skullgirls.

More people can be happier this way lol. Joke edit btw
Would like to see her there too if at all possible.(funded or not)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah shame on you Gordon, slay is trying to walk the straight and narrow path. Get those fuckery apples away from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom