• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

I will slap the lack of taste out your mouth. Hamilton is fucking GOAT.
tumblr_n2lgzvh6rP1t0qakuo1_500.gif

Can't hear you over all this african bongo flava

RedSwirl

I can sort of understand it. I have usually let my identity on here be vague and cloaked in mystery, but fuck it...

Come to think of it, from my point of view women playing as many games as men kind of popped up out of nowhere at some point. In hindsight I think I just wasn't paying attention. Maybe it's the same for other dudes, but I don't know how it is for white dudes.

Throughout my whole childhood I actually think I only played games about as much as any other kid. Maybe it was slightly more, but only due to being brought up in a military family where I think we had slightly more access to technology. What girls I did hang out with at that time were not averse to video games but didn't play them a lot either. Most were actually just content to watch me play them. That status pretty much continued through middle school.

I don't think I played video games to a degree that impacted my social life until high school (corresponding roughly with the Gamecube era). I should note that the kinds of people I met was also probably determined by my moving around so much (again, military family). I mostly lived around other military kids until high school, and what girls I did know then at least had PC games in their houses at a time when that wasn't extremely common. High school was spent around regular upper-suburban people which I guess is when I encountered a high number of girls who were into games (other than Halo and Madden), but even they were part of the "nerd" crowd -- the anime club basically.

It was around the start of last gen that I started being surprised at how many adult women played console games. Maybe a lot of them had finally grown up to a point where there was less holding them back from buying their own consoles and games and playing them out in the open. I was shocked when a girl I'd known since the first grade talked about having finished Fallout 3 and gotten every achievement. Maybe it's something to do with women in higher socioeconomic classes -- less likely to have kids tying them down in their 20's, having more independence to pursue hobbies. Completely anecdotal, but the women I know in that age range who are single with no kids are more likely to play console games.

hypernima

Banned
I'm lttp again but the thing I hate about the stigma of games and watching anime is that no one thinks you can be a serious functioning human being for it. also I still catch flak from fam thinking I have yellow fever cause I had a short weeb phase. it's a part of why I don't watch anime now (also the quality sucks now)

I'm also LTTP, but I never really dealt with those stigmas. Either I date nerdy girls, or they know it led somewhere because I'm a programmer.

It helps that I work out though...

Malyse

I'm lttp again but the thing I hate about the stigma of games and watching anime is that no one thinks you can be a serious functioning human being for it. also I still catch flak from fam thinking I have yellow fever cause I had a short weeb phase. it's a part of why I don't watch anime now (also the quality sucks now)

I'm also LTTP, but I never really dealt with those stigmas. Either I date nerdy girls, or they know it led somewhere because I'm a programmer.

It helps that I work out though...

I work at a tech company so there's that.

----

Sitting here studying HTML5. There is some crazy new stuff in here. I love it.

Slayven

Crocodile

My experiences are primarily confined to growing up as a black woman and I interacted with white women and others ethnic groups minimally, so I'm not sure if it's any different for them, but that was the experience I've had with my life. I do wonder what creates these opinions and ideas. Sure, as I have learned the media takes a part in putting these stereotypes and notions into peoples heads and also from your household and social environment. I just hope things advance and that I can come into an environment where my passion and my sexuality are more accepting.

Thanks for sharing your story. As to this part I quoted here, what I've heard and read as to the cause of these societal concepts ("video games are for boys!") has a lot to do with advertising. I think starting in the 80s-90s, stuff like computer science and video games used to be advertised as to being for everybody but then began being advertised exclusively to boys. Everybody kind of just bought into the narrative and we ended up with where we are today :/ I know articles have been written on this subject but I can't find them right now.

Nigga went away on a training arc AND a time skip. Got Haki and Sage mode

Demi seen some shit in the phantom zone..came back all swole.

0DzhWh.jpg

As long as it isn't immoral, illegal or self-destructive you really shouldn't give a shit what other people think of your hobbies. Just be you man. Your family and friends will always still love you as long as you're a cool guy, your boss and/or clients won't care as long as you continue to do the stuff they are paying you to do well and the opinions of others should be irrelevant.

akira28

I used to make my kid sister play NES games with me. Just sit there, hold the controller, hit the buttons. My youngest sister was the only one who actually liked it on her own time. Then again she also fought back against the hater crowds, my other sister sort of surfed the hater wave and became their queen. I still made her sit through the ending of Crystalis though.

Bubba T

I just had someone on the coli (I know) tell me that, and I quote:

basic science is irrelevant to the daily work of a regular doctor, you keep talmbout all that undergrad education and theory education in med school like it really matters in a surgery room

yes you can teach a high school kid to pull teeth and drain out cysts, it'll take a day each

all the training required is because they need to keep the supply of new doctors low to keep their wages up

andthebeatgoeson

If no one else wants the code, I quoted the post to get the code.

I gotcha, my dude. Just waiting on kid

Oh. Cool. Expensive or your typical $50 affair?

$50 but looks like the truth. Possibly best way to get mouse aiming on a controller. The thread has a lot of people geeking out on it. I was about to buy a Xbox controller and went with Steam. People can make button setups and share them. It has gyro motions, so could replicate Splatton. I think gyro aiming might really shine on small adjustments to aiming. I still suck at Splatoon but I'm getting better at it.

RedSwirl

So. Fallout 4's spoken names. I don't think anybody has extremely high hopes when it comes to the diversity of the names we'll get here. Some people theorize they'll be based on the names that appear in Fallout Shelter. In one of the gaming side threads I put out a thought that maybe the list will be different for each voice track (all Western European languages except Japanese). I think one article implied they recorded surnames too. If that's the case I imagine we'll get a "lee" or "kim" or "chan" or even a "singh" in there.

No chance for any "black" names I presume. Maybe a few of the ones of french origin, I don't know. It started making me think about what is basically an entire new naming convention our people are coming up with. Remember Sharkeisha? That was apparently a combination of her parents' first names. A recent study said some part of California has a high proportion of women whose names are 100 percent unique in the entire world. What brought this up is, my current job causes me to read a lot of "black" names and now it's gotten me wondering if in the decades going forward there will actually be some kind of codified system, like how Eastern Europeans do patronymic names.

I've decided my Fallout 4 character will be a black woman with a name that's ethnic as fuck. Probably some Egyptian-sounding shit.

Numb

So. Fallout 4's spoken names. I don't think anybody has extremely high hopes when it comes to the diversity of the names we'll get here. Some people theorize they'll be based on the names that appear in Fallout Shelter. In one of the gaming side threads I put out a thought that maybe the list will be different for each voice track (all Western European languages except Japanese). I think one article implied they recorded surnames too. If that's the case I imagine we'll get a "lee" or "kim" or "chan" or even a "singh" in there.

No chance for any "black" names I presume. Maybe a few of the ones of french origin, I don't know. It started making me think about what is basically an entire new naming convention our people are coming up with. Remember Sharkeisha? That was apparently a combination of her parents' first names. A recent study said some part of California has a high proportion of women whose names are 100 percent unique in the entire world. What brought this up is, my current job causes me to read a lot of "black" names and now it's gotten me wondering if in the decades going forward there will actually be some kind of codified system, like how Eastern Europeans do patronymic names.

I've decided my Fallout 4 character will be a black woman with a name that's ethnic as fuck. Probably some Egyptian-sounding shit.
I am sure they got a bunch of stuff but won't got too deep.
People got 100% failure rate with writing my name after telling them and 90% fails saying it correctly.
Don't expect them to have anything like it in a game like it. Always gotta go with one of the many fail attempts people have made as my game characters if not something random lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom