• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
mimiru.jpg

Trust me. You don't want me stepping up, little kouhai.
This is how I'm staying my day? lol..gonna be a long one.

Numb

Anime has invaded Esco like it always does with everything else.Only a matter of time.

v4MfeZK.gif

Better than that live action puke.

I wish people would stop photoshopping selfie sticks onto Arnorlds weapons in his movies like sword in Conan and shotgun in Terminator..

Slayven

Anime has invaded Esco like it always does with everything else.Only a matter of time.

v4MfeZK.gif

Better than that live action puke.

I wish people would stop photoshopping selfie sticks onto Arnorlds weapons in his movies like sword in Conan and shotgun in Terminator..

Get that M.Night shit out of here.

Numb

Divergent?
Nah. Felt like riding on Hunger games fumes as many others were so i didn't expect anything. Mazerunner was cool tho.

Need to get caught offguard and must have been very hyped for it and wanting to go in blind.
This combo added to re-watching the show again in anticipation was deadly. Did the same for Man of Steel with the supes movies and Smallville. Yes all of Smallville and yet somehow my dissapointment was higher with Avatar.
Dang we got one.

akira28

Twitter followers make me suspicious. Don't follow me, nigga. I don't know you. Makes me less likely to post, retweeting and following me and shit.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Lol, how did I know someone was going to post this.

And I was speaking strictly in terms of the environments, costumes, etc. Everything else (bending included) was a hot mess.

wasn't the earthbender prison originally a metal island in the middle of the ocean so there wasn't any earth to bend?

Lol, how did I know someone was going to post this.

And I was speaking strictly in terms of the environments, costumes, etc. Everything else (bending included) was a hot mess.

I know, but the opportunity was too good to pass up.:D

wasn't the earthbender prison originally a metal island in the middle of the ocean so there wasn't any earth to bend?

Yup, scrapped for time no doubt. It's hard trying to fit an entire season's worth of episodes into one movie.
Which is why they shouldn't have even tried.

andthebeatgoeson

I'm OK with this
Finally cosplay with something to say

tumblr_nph4bwHykq1rztdgoo1_1280.jpg
I'll listen to anything she has to say.
What's your Twitter handle? I enjoy following cats I know..
I like Alf references.
I think WCT performs credit checks, so we're fucked.
I'm over 800. Bye Felicia. I'ma change my name to Beat`e. I'm now from South America or Spain and always have the best tans. Like, OMG.

Africanus

How hard is it for people to accept that racism isn't always overt, but in most cases subtle?

I hadn't even considered once in my life why bandages were coloured in that fashion, but I was educated and recognized it as that passive reinforcement in a matter of minutes. As did the actual pharmacists in question.

But evidently everything must be from the "overly offended" crowd as if that is a legitimate response.

Slayven

How hard is it for people to accept that racism isn't always overt, but in most cases subtle?

I hadn't even considered once in my life why bandages were coloured in that fashion, but I was educated and recognized it as that passive reinforcement in a matter of minutes. As did the actual pharmacists in question.

But evidently everything must be from the "overly offended" crowd as if that is a legitimate response.

I think there will come a day a black dude will be lynch with a "Dead Nigger Storage" sign on his shirt and people will try to deny it's racist.

I think there will come a day a black dude will be lynch with a "Dead Nigger Storage" sign on his shirt and people will try to deny it's racist.

Hell, there was a time when an old white guy poured acid into a pool filled with black kids, and people tried to deny it was racist.

The question really is, are we going to circle back to those days?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

A lot of what I was taught was very simple. "Don't hate people because of who they are" - but the only thing that was ever addressed was outright hate. Nobody ever, ever mentioned to me anything more subtle than yelling slurs.

We're very clearly taught, or were taught, I can't say as I'm 35 now, that the obvious hate is wrong, and we never ever addressed institutionalized racism in any way. It just ran rampant.

Man Band-Aids are shitty. Fuck.

Slayven

I come to realized that people have a view of the world, and racism doesn't fit that view and when it is witnessrf it is like a glitch in their matrix. They repurpose IRQs to shut down any racism talk because it would require them to step outside the bubble

jmood88

If people can say that Dylan Roof writing a racist manifesto, standing up in a black church and saying that he was there to kill black people before killing those black people was somehow not racist, then they'll excuse anything. If people hadn't died I would've thought that it was a Key & Peele sketch with how far so many people went to avoid calling him racist.

Dereck

I really can't imagine what it's like to be a white kid, a white teen, and then a white adult, and never having to deal with any kind of racial confrontations, discrimination or struggle, and then be asked about racism in a conversation, and having nothing of significance to add due to involuntarily ignorance of the whole thing.

But why are people like this afraid of talking/learning about it?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't imagine what it's like to be a white kid, a white teen, and then a white adult, and never having to deal with any kind of racial confrontations, discrimination or struggle, and then be asked about racism in a conversation, and having nothing of significance to add due to involuntarily ignorance of the whole thing.

It's kinda tough to accept you've been handled with baby gloves your whole life. It just takes time and education to wake up from it.

EDIT: I also realize as a white kid, white teen, then white adult this is the only meaningful contribution I have is "yeah we fucked up"

Learning that you've lived a privileged life can hurt your view of what you've accomplished. Learning that there are certain types of evil in this world can hurt your world views. Change is normally brought about by acquiring knowledge and understanding. Most people do not truly want change in themselves or the world at large

That bandaid thread is so fucking annoying. Even a minor issue like the color of band-aids and people have to double down on racism being over. The people are more outraged than the company. Things like this make me realize we have a long fucking way to go.

harSon

Banned
Anyone here live in Austin? I've been thinking real hard about moving there. I've visited a few times and loved it, but the thought of living in Texas always gives me pause - even if it's sort of an oasis.

Learning that you've lived a privileged life can hurt your view of what you've accomplished.

I don't mean to pervade, but I just wanted to say that for me personally, it was exactly this. When I was confronted with the idea of privilege I felt it diminished my accomplishments. Like somehow my hard work was invalidated by my skin. I consider myself a hard worker so it felt like a slap to the face, and paired with my naivety and immaturity it made me defensive. I outgrew that for the most part. Though I won't deny there's still that urge to get defensive if I'm told I said something racially insensitive. But I at least try to make my initial response an attempt to understand where that came from, and try to correct it. I obviously can't speak for all white people though just confirming this sentence hit the nail on the head for me, so presumably some others feel the same way.

zeemumu

And that's the day that racists will ruin Pulp Fiction forever in the same way that terrorists ruined going to an airport.

I don't mean to pervade, but I just wanted to say that for me personally, it was exactly this. When I was confronted with the idea of privilege I felt it diminished my accomplishments. Like somehow my hard work was invalidated by my skin. I consider myself a hard worker so it felt like a slap to the face, and paired with my naivety and immaturity it made me defensive. I outgrew that for the most part. Though I won't deny there's still that urge to get defensive if I'm told I said something racially insensitive. But I at least try to make my initial response an attempt to understand where that came from, and try to correct it. I obviously can't speak for all white people though just confirming this sentence hit the nail on the head for me, so presumably some others feel the same way.

If more people were more like you...I think the academic term is white fragility and actually realizing what youre doing is always great.

I personally appreciate your personal feelings on it man, I love to hear from people who 'get it'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom