• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mean to pervade, but I just wanted to say that for me personally, it was exactly this. When I was confronted with the idea of privilege I felt it diminished my accomplishments. Like somehow my hard work was invalidated by my skin. I consider myself a hard worker so it felt like a slap to the face, and paired with my naivety and immaturity it made me defensive. I outgrew that for the most part. Though I won't deny there's still that urge to get defensive if I'm told I said something racially insensitive. But I at least try to make my initial response an attempt to understand where that came from, and try to correct it. I obviously can't speak for all white people though just confirming this sentence hit the nail on the head for me, so presumably some others feel the same way.

This is really cool to hear.

And this feeling isn't exactly foreign to black people either. Namely black men who realize that despite the many disadvantages we have, we still carry some privileges for being men.

And you know, straight privilege.

Trey

And this feeling isn't exactly foreign to black people either. Namely black men who realize that despite the many disadvantages we have, we still carry some privileges for being men.

I was going to bring this up. I suppose it was simple for me to accept the privilege I have because I always looked at the situation from the perspective that people have it worse than I do. The other side of the coin of my privilege is that others are disadvantaged. And it really costs me nothing to want and work toward a state in society where the amount of people disadvantaged for one reason or another is lowered if not completely dissolved.

I don't look at my privilege as a mark of shame, or something that invalidates my accomplishments. I look at it as context for the world I live in and reasoning for my perspective.

I would only feel shame if I accepted my privilege and did nothing to help the disadvantaged.

besada

Banned
For me, privilege was easier to grasp because I have a deaf brother. It was impossible for me not to notice that my life was just easier than his. I didn't have to sit at the front of the class with my hearing aids out, I didn't have to work so desperately to take notes, I didn't mishear people all the time and have to ask for a repeat, and I didn't have to wear an enormous hearing aid that made me look like a robot everywhere I went.

So I started life understanding that some people just got lucky. And it's important to remember that privilege isn't a binary issue. Most of us are privileged at some level. Maybe because you're a man, or straight, or it's just that you were fortunate enough to be born into a society that at least pretends there are laws. We could all be born in Somalia or Pakistan or Yemen. And most of us were born whole, without profound handicaps, mental or physical. No one has a lock on privilege.

Finally cosplay with something to say

tumblr_nph4bwHykq1rztdgoo1_1280.jpg

Oh, we doing black cosplay?

4IrkcO5.png

In similar style to yours.
CJlhgKqUkAEthG-.jpg

tumblr_nlfkicFXKd1tlup31o1_250.gif

More of the Starfire here. https://instagram.com/cheyennejazwise/

Bumblebee cosplayer below
AjwbAEn.png

1e940c4e98f39a6863a7bb6942e7a08a.jpg

Michonne-The-Walking-Dead-Cosplay-Jasemine-Denise-Photography-5.jpg

All? I thought there was going to be 50.

For me, privilege was easier to grasp because I have a deaf brother. It was impossible for me not to notice that my life was just easier than his. I didn't have to sit at the front of the class with my hearing aids out, I didn't have to work so desperately to take notes, I didn't mishear people all the time and have to ask for a repeat, and I didn't have to wear an enormous hearing aid that made me look like a robot everywhere I went.

So I started life understanding that some people just got lucky. And it's important to remember that privilege isn't a binary issue. Most of us are privileged at some level. Maybe because you're a man, or straight, or it's just that you were fortunate enough to be born into a society that at least pretends there are laws. We could all be born in Somalia or Pakistan or Yemen. And most of us were born whole, without profound handicaps, mental or physical. No one has a lock on privilege.

Exactly. A lot of intersectionality happens with privilege, us even being able to to have this conversation is a form of privilege in many ways. I've early recognized how lucky I am.

Trey

Vox: The real reason Americans fight about identity politics

That suggests this isn't really about "discourse" or "free speech" at all, but about something a lot more pedestrian: the anxiety of people who aren't used to having their speech and behavior policed by rules that aren't designed for their benefit, but now suddenly find themselves experiencing just that.

The backlash against identity politics is really about insecurity, Leong believes: Groups that have traditionally enjoyed high racial capital in America, such as white people and men, are aware that they are starting to lose their disproportionate control over power and resources, but also over less tangible things like public discourse.

Taken together, those two things make "identity politics" feel scary. The insecurity means there is an inflated sense of how much status and how many resources are being reallocated to traditionally less powerful groups, as well as fear about what that means for white people and men. A 2011 study, for instance, found that white people tended to see racism as a "zero-sum game" and to believe that racial bias against white people must be growing as bias against black people decreased.

I always thought the people who complained about "PC culture" were being cowardly. If your instinct is to whine when your views and beliefs are challenged, you ain't built for the discourse.

The previously voiceless and downtrodden getting a platform is one of the best things to happen to the concept of free speech in its history.

Numb

I know she is i know but still tho.
Having a mental or any physical handicap is very bad is Somalia.Almost nobody will be kind when in childhood. Only people that dont mess with you and help you are parents and teachers sometimes.Adults will just ignore you and the more visible your handicap is the faster this will happen.The best solution for this is never leaving your home town at all either by moving or walking into unknown areas. This helps you build who you as part of the community and brings attention to all the kids early on about your situation that lessens most of the stuff but it will still be there. There will be lots and lots of bullying on top of you dealing with your handicap.Most people who's only issue is that they can't walk never leave their houses. Wheelchairs are mostly useless due to the sand. There are afew who crawl.
Oh, we doing black cosplay?
1e940c4e98f39a6863a7bb6942e7a08a.jpg
Saving this.
Dang.

andthebeatgoeson

Vox: The real reason Americans fight about identity politics

I always thought the people who complained about "PC culture" were being cowardly. If your instinct is to whine when your views and beliefs are challenged, you ain't built for the discourse.

The previously voiceless and downtrodden getting a platform is one of the best things to happen to the concept of free speech in its history.
It might be cowardly. I always think they just want to be assholes. They refuse to attempt empathy.

Like if midgets start protesting about the use of the M word. It may take me some time to accept and throwing 'PC culture' around is just a defense so I can continue being a jerk. As I think about it, it might be both. It takes courage to face yourself and your flaws and actively try correct yourself. There is momentum to our personality.

It's kind of funny though. America was always called a big melting pot. But for most, they only want a certain kind of diversity. Their diversity is limited to a few countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom