• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

If you guys started a secret world clan, I would buy the game.

a thought to share before considering a thread. atheists and those who claim that god is a negative thing always point to the fact that god allows bad things to happen. but if god intervened in every event, this would essentially prevent the true flow and ebb of life, it would pervert free will and cause and effect and everything else if god was there to catch every glass before it fell or extend every life to 100. There would be no such thing as choice or chance or failing or evil, the struggle of living would be meaningless if it existed at all. If their entire premise is that they don't need god to lead a moral and good life on earth, god's whole point seems to be you don't need him/her to make life on earth a wonderful thing free of pain or suffering, you just have to choose it. That same free will and self interest based decision making is why we are all where we are. We blame god when it's humanity and we blame god for allowing humanity to be human.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
It's one of the bleakest shows I can remember in a while. That + Hunger Games + Secret in their eyes = trauma congo line for the weekend

."

One of the reasons it's so good.
Not afraid to get dirty.

I need a shower after watching Jessica Jones. I thought the show would be..... dont know..... heroic or something. Now i am afraid to see Luke Cage's show let alone the Punisher. Now I see the Punisher will probably be worse, since he goes after the worst or the worst.

Don't know man can't relate...I come in here everyone once in a while and just homer myself right back out now.

me too.

Man this looks fiiiiire

8iNVoJj.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999932

I want this game. wow

Numb

I need a shower after watching Jessica Jones. I thought the show would be..... dont know..... heroic or something. Now i am afraid to see Luke Cage's show let alone the Punisher. Now I see the Punisher will probably be worse, since he goes after the worst or the worst.

The live action super hero stuff that's tame is still there(too many nowadays to be real).
Things need to get gritty and for real once in a while and that's awesome.

Malyse

a thought to share before considering a thread. atheists and those who claim that god is a negative thing always point to the fact that god allows bad things to happen. but if god intervened in every event, this would essentially prevent the true flow and ebb of life, it would pervert free will and cause and effect and everything else if god was there to catch every glass before it fell or extend every life to 100. There would be no such thing as choice or chance or failing or evil, the struggle of living would be meaningless if it existed at all. If their entire premise is that they don't need god to lead a moral and good life on earth, god's whole point seems to be you don't need him/her to make life on earth a wonderful thing free of pain or suffering, you just have to choose it. That same free will and self interest based decision making is why we are all where we are. We blame god when it's humanity and we blame god for allowing humanity to be human.

You looking to start a firestorm, bruh? Atheists are fucking vindicative and petulant as a general rule. For example, look at this shit. Honestly, I hate anyone who bashed people over the head with their religion, but atheists take that nonsnse to a whole new level. Only thing worst than vegans.

/soapbox

you would think someone in the BCT would know better than to just throw Atheists under the bus like that when making a point about people blaming god for something.

You looking to start a firestorm, bruh? Atheists are fucking vindicative and petulant as a general rule. For example, look at this shit. Honestly, I hate anyone who bashed people over the head with their religion, but atheists take that nonsnse to a whole new level. Only thing worst than vegans.

/soapbox

this false equivalence is the #1 thing that upsets me. i really try and chill and not be one of thise fedora wearing douchebags but come on. fucking vindictive and petulant is some dude whining in a thread on NeoGAF? why don't you go blow up a fucking abortion clinic because vindictive is a whole other level when we're talking about religious zealots vs atheist fedoras.

akira28

you would think someone in the BCT would know better than to just throw Atheists under the bus like that when making a point about people blaming god for something.

a point for why god doesn't exist, and if he did exist he would be a cruel and uncaring god. it's an argument I've seen come up more than many times. why do you feel it's throwing anyone under a bus?

a point for why god doesn't exist, and if he did exist he would be a cruel and uncaring god. it's an argument I've seen come up more than many times. why do you feel it's throwing anyone under a bus?

but of god doesn't exist, how can got be negative? wouldn't god be zero?

are you saying that by letting bad things happen god truly cares?

#YesAllCopsCare

akira28

#YesAllCopsCare

well you'll notice that I didn't only mention atheists, (and I certainly didn't mention any "Atheists"). God's caring and not caring is a debate but not this debate. People who have come to a point of belief where they blame god for the bad things in the world,and transition that into the conclusion that believing in a god is a delusion often encounter that rationale.

I'm telling people in that racist bar thread that this club is well known for its pretty open racism and folks are still like "maybe they're just stupid" lol.

Malyse

this false equivalence is the #1 thing that upsets me. i really try and chill and not be one of thise fedora wearing douchebags but come on. fucking vindictive and petulant is some dude whining in a thread on NeoGAF? why don't you go blow up a fucking abortion clinic because vindictive is a whole other level when we're talking about religious zealots vs atheist fedoras.

Find me one fucking thread about religion that doesn't have an atheist hopping in to proclaim loudly that they don't believe in religion. That shit is constant. I don't care what anyone believes. It's a personal thing, so don't tell me about it unless it's necessary and never be an asshole about it. And are we pretend that this particular forum doesn't have a metric fuckload of fedoras?

You and me? We're cool. I don't know what you believe and you don't know what I believe. That's all it needs to be.

EDIT: I wanna make this perfectly clear. I hate Westboro and the republican fringe and ISIL and bible thumpers and anyone else who pushes their religion on others as much as I hate the fedoras who push their *lack* of religion on others. They are all assholes.

well you'll notice that I didn't only mention atheists, (and I certainly didn't mention any "Atheists"). God's caring and not caring is a debate but not this debate. People who have come to a point of belief where they blame god for the bad things in the world,and transition that into the conclusion that believing in a god is a delusion often encounter that rationale.

didn't "only" mention... come on!

how can you blame something that you don't believe in, something that doesn't exist, how is that a belief?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm telling people in that racist bar thread that this club is well known for its pretty open racism and folks are still like "maybe they're just stupid" lol.

A lot of people would rather someone be stupid than racist. As if most racist acts are by people that dont know better than acts done intentionally.

zeemumu

#YesAllCopsCare

Right now, a perfect world sounds great to you because you know what an imperfect world is. If you lived in a world where bad things didn't happen, you wouldn't care because you'd have no reference point for negative. Things would gradually increase until you hit the ceiling.

The limit for things getting better is significantly easier to hit than the limit for things getting worse. At that point life becomes pointless because nothing has been earned. In our reality, we are aware that you can't wipe out bad things entirely, but you can knock them down to a bare minimum.

Find me one fucking thread about religion that doesn't have an atheist hopping in to proclaim loudly that they don't believe in religion. That shit is constant. I don't care what anyone believes. It's a personal thing, so don't tell me about it unless it's necessary and never be an asshole about it. And are we pretend that this particular forum doesn't have a metric fuckload of fedoras?
don't bother trying to find one where they kill people because of what they believe in or what others believe in.

You and me? We're cool. I don't know what you believe and you don't know what I believe. That's all it needs to be.
yeah, we're cool.

and i don't believe.

don't mind if others do, i even bow my head when people pray at dinner and whatever but when people compare angry comments from bitter individuals to people murdering people, it upsets me.

akira28

didn't "only" mention... come on!

how can you blame something that you don't believe in, something that doesn't exist, how is that a belief?

there are self-declared atheists, and there are people who think that gods and religions are dangerous and negative or regressive or a multitude of other things. They're not necessarily one in the same group. I am not trying to argue atheism and their balance of god's existence against the negative impact of belief in gods. Nor am I seeking to discuss how one arrives at atheist conclusions that gods don't exist so belief in them is irrelevant. So why are you trying to steer me in those directions when I clearly defined what my point was?

did I really need to add a disclaimer for "not all Atheists" especially when I don't really consider it an organized group but a mode of thought?

Right now, a perfect world sounds great to you because you know what an imperfect world is. If you lived in a world where bad things didn't happen, you wouldn't care because you'd have no reference point for negative. Things would gradually increase until you hit the ceiling.

The limit for things getting better is significantly easier to hit than the limit for things getting worse. At that point life becomes pointless because nothing has been earned. In our reality, we are aware that you can't wipe out bad things entirely, but you can knock them down to a bare minimum.

do you believe that there is a god?

i don't.

do you believe that god could create a perfect world if they choose to?

i don't because see answer #1.

there are self-declared atheists, and there are people who think that gods and religions are dangerous and negative or regressive or a multitude of other things. They're not necessarily one in the same group. I am not trying to argue atheism and their balance of god's existence against the negative impact of belief in gods. Nor am I seeking to discuss how one arrives at atheist conclusions that gods don't exist so belief in them is irrelevant. So why are you trying to steer me in those directions when I clearly defined what my point was?

did I really need to add a disclaimer for "not all Atheists" especially when I don't really consider it an organized group but a mode of thought?

yes. yes you did need a disclaimer.

Why would you make a perfect world?
why would you ask that question?

Crocodile

Usually I'm not one to go "Jesus Christ was is with OT recently?!" but.........Jesus Christ was is with OT recently?! :(

Unrelated, I went to my barber last night and ended up having a several hour long conversation about international geopolitics. Things got weird though when the topic of conversation steered towards 9/11 and related conspiracy theories........

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The live action super hero stuff that's tame is still there(too many nowadays to be real).
Things need to get gritty and for real once in a while and that's awesome.

This show its all around fucked up. Really fucked up. really really fucked up.

Trey

Uh, sure. I think those critical of religion point out fucked up shit happens to prove that God is not benevolent or merciful, ergo worshipping Him is pointless. misplaced. I don't think it's a free will argument more than it is trying to rationalize what a supreme being is capable of, and how what happens in our world does not follow the common depiction of such a God. Critics are simply pointing out the hypocrisy of this supposed God.

I.e, how can you say God is good when there are millions starving?

zeemumu

you can't see why "anyone" would want a perfect world?

i may not be able to wrap my head around how a perfect world would function but i can easily understand why many people living in this world would want it.

Yes. You want to live in a perfect world because you know what imperfection is. If you had your perfect world you'd have no concept of imperfection, or the words "good" and "bad." That kinda negates the point.

Uh, sure. I think those critical of religion point out fucked up shit happens to prove that God is not benevolent or merciful, ergo worshipping Him is pointless. misplaced. I don't think it's a free will argument more than it is trying to rationalize what a supreme being is capable of, and how what happens in our world does not follow the common depiction of such a God. Critics are simply pointing out the hypocrisy of this supposed God.

because how can man prove their worth to God in this life and be allowed into the next if God makes it easy for all of them?!?!? only thru suffereing, sacrifice and coming together to help those in need to work towards the greater good can we receive His blessing and be graced with an eternal residence at His side.

Yes. You want to live in a perfect world because you know what imperfection is. If you had your perfect world you'd have no concept of imperfection, or the words "good" and "bad." That kinda negates the point.

and by "you" you mean "anyone", right?

akira28

hrm..I also see some believers attributing the bad things that happen in life to the wrath of God or punishment for sins or bad actions. It's pretty obvious that religion has distorted if not outright overplayed the role that god plays. I'm a critic of religion myself. If people kept their focus on the hypocrisy of man and his religions I would be right there with them.

But to see a million people starving I would first ask why before I ask "where is god?"

Malyse

Spoiler question for Jessica Jones.

Do you think they leaned too hard on the "Bury your gays" trope? I mean, we saw three same sex couples: penthouse men, lawyer/doctor, lawyer/secretary. Penthouse man gets killed, Lawyer gets cut the fuck up, Doctor gets head bashed in, Secretary is off to jail for bashing in said doctor head. As an aside, they also punish the potentially /implied incestous relationship by carving him like a turkey and almost force suiciding her. Nothing much for the straights, but I think Luke and Jess are the only other couple shown. Oh, and Trish and Nuke, but they survive too.

zeemumu

probably would help when you use "you" in a reply with a quote.

As long as one isn't one of the sign people or the atheist equivalent or the vegan equivalent or the gun equivalent and makes me listen to a 20 minute lecture on their belief system that I didn't ask for I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. Everyone's free to believe what they want.

But the whole perfect world thing is a paradox and those don't make for good argument points, so I always feel the need to get involved when it gets brought up.
Spoiler question for Jessica Jones.

Do you think they leaned too hard on the "Bury your gays" trope? I mean, we saw three same sex couples: penthouse men, lawyer/doctor, lawyer/secretary. Penthouse man gets killed, Lawyer gets cut the fuck up, Doctor gets head bashed in, Secretary is off to jail for bashing in said doctor head. As an aside, they also punish the potentially /implied incestous relationship by carving him like a turkey and almost force suiciding her. Nothing much for the straights, but I think Luke and Jess are the only other couple shown. Oh, and Trish and Nuke, but they survive too.

I still need to watch this show.

akira28

so in other words why in the fuck would I create a thread like that.

I'm going to go to Popeyes. The only thing that will fix this is some strawberry jelly and a biscuit.

As long as one isn't one of the sign people or the atheist equivalent or the vegan equivalent or the gun equivalent and makes me listen to a 20 minute lecture on their belief system that I didn't ask for I'm pretty indifferent to the whole thing. Everyone's free to believe what they want.

But the whole perfect world thing is a paradox and those don't make for good argument points, so I always feel the need to get involved when it gets brought up.
The paradox is you brought up the perfect world, but you get involved when it's brought up.

I think my main beef with modern-day religion - and, analogously, the claims brought up by its detractors - is the way its god(s) are anthropomorphized to the extent of being equivalent to superheroes. I mean, don't get me wrong, higher powers have always had more human or at least palatable depictions dating back centuries, but the way most mainstream religions these days are so locked into preserving themselves as... well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that religions being products of conservatism is hurting them. I'd like to see more progressive attempts at belief systems commonly accepted, e.g. moving the goalposts so as to create a more fluid banner to rally under that allows for an integration of fact and faith, piety and science, etc.

That being said, "organized atheism" has become such a toxic practice online that it's hard for me to sympathize with them / take them seriously.

Stupid question, but it's totally possible to belong to some type of religious system without it being inherently theistic, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom