• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was Dear White People genuinely good or was it a movie for blacks who happen to be the only minority in a circle of peers to feel better about themselves?

Trey

You take horse jokes away from this thread, we'll never make it to OT13. A solid third of Slayven's post count is horse macros.

Was Dear White People genuinely good or was it a movie for blacks who happen to be the only minority in a circle of peers to feel better about themselves?

I thought it was mediocre. We got Tessa Thompson and teyonah Parris out of it, though.

Village

ok, so I was listening to double toasted. Eventually they start talking shit about 50 shades of black. So I google the wayans family because I wanted to remember how many of them there were.

I find this picture

KeBq6p4.png

We can use dude on the left's face, if that already isn't a thing.

LionPride

Banned
Both, I've been the only minority amongst friends so I identified more with the movie. On the other hand seperating my personal experience from it I think it is a decent movie.

For some reason I'm instantly reminded of how Wayne Brady has a new crossdressing role.

The Kinky Boots musical. Based on the Kinky Boots movie, starting Chiwetel Ejiofor in the crossdressing part. It's the story of a failing shoe factory that gets a new lease on life when the owner takes the advice of a drag queen and starts making larger sized "womens" shoes for the drag community.

Sch1sm

Ya'll an't shit, especially you Kreed lol.

But change of topic......
So it appears that White Student Unions Pages are popping up on FB......

White student unions. They remind me of the people who say, "Well, why don't we have a straight parade?!" As if they're a marginalized group with the need for one. Stooooop.

it's pretty good. the (boyfriend) white guy in it was a god awful actor though but everything else was cool.

it was like a college student's homage to spike lee movies.

jmood88

If my only exposure to Jessica Jones reactions was from this site, I'd feel like I was watching a completely different show. The complaints are flabbergasting.

jmood88

I finished Jessica Jones tonight, I may like it more than Daredevil guys.
I love both of them but Jessica Jones is the better show. It's also one of the most diverse shows ever. They have an interracial straight couple, a lesbian couple, an interracial gay couple, and two black main characters (I'm counting Luke as one of the main characters just cause). They just need to add some Dominicans (or Malcolm can just claim he's half Dominican like every black person in NYC) and an Asian woman and they'll straight.

Trey

If my only exposure to Jessica Jones reactions was from this site, I'd feel like I was watching a completely different show. The complaints are flabbergasting.

Some like it, some don't. I'm on ep 8 and I find it leaves a lot to be desired, but a lot of folks are saying it's very faithful to the source material. And I can respect that.

jmood88

Some like it, some don't. I'm on ep 8 and I find it leaves a lot to be desired, but a lot of folks are saying it's very faithful to the source material. And I can respect that.
The reaction here is completely different from everywhere else and seems much more negative. There are also way too many people here who wanted it to be season 2 of Daredevil while ignoring that they're completely different characters.

harSon

Banned
I'm 6 episodes into the series, and I'm digging everything outside of the fights. I know Luke and Jessica are different than Daredevil, and aren't exactly trained in the arts of combat - but visually their powers are handled pretty clumsily. It just looks off. Half the time they look like they're marginally stronger than a normal person, instead of having super strength. If you're
ripping massive key locks off hinges with ease, and lifting/stopping cars - then your punches are going to fuck dudes up. But you don't really get that a lot of the time.
Outside of that though, I absolutely love it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm 6 episodes into the series, and I'm digging everything outside of the fights. I know Luke and Jessica are different than Daredevil, and aren't exactly trained in the arts of combat - but visually their powers are handled pretty clumsily. It just looks off. Half the time they look like they're marginally stronger than a normal person, instead of having super strength. If you're
ripping massive key locks off hinges with ease, and lifting/stopping cars - then your punches are going to fuck dudes up. But you don't really get that a lot of the time.
Outside of that though, I absolutely love it.
Luke & Jessica can straight up kill people if they punch too hard, so it makes sense that they would try to hold back as much as possible.

harSon

Banned
Luke & Jessica can straight up kill people if they punch too hard, so it makes sense that they would try to hold back as much as possible.

It's just inconsistent though, especially with Jessica.
She can snap thick ass key locks with no effort, lift cars and kill people with a single punch - but at the same time can be locked up/pinned by normal ass dudes? Sometimes her punches send people flying across the room and busting through shit, and other times it seems like a normal ass punch from a normal ass person.
I just think they could have been more consistent and visually overt with the difference in power between her and a typical human being. I think it would have gone a long way towards making up for the fact that fights weren't going to be as well choreographed as Daredevil's due to the untrained skills of Jessica and Luke.

Kreed

Just finished Jessica Jones. Marvel hit another out of the park, but I still prefer Dare Devil for two main reasons.

1) King Pin > The whole Jessica Jones cast
2)
Simpson and his whole story line can get tossed in the bushes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom