• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Y'all killing me with this super hero talk. What happened to swooning over girls every five posts. don't tell me anime cycle bout to come next.

Here I'll help the transition with a little mix of superheros AND anime

saitama_final_lr_by_artgerm-d9gzeio.jpg

Source

This new manga is also pretty good too:

Boku_no_Hero_Academia_Volume_1.png

I think people in here would like it <3 (I know some of you already know about it but not everybody)

Seen her before multiple times over the years but forgot her name.

That's even worse! How could you forget that BAMF?

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Source

I think people in here would like it <3 (I know some of you already know about it but not everybody)

why is zuko wearing spandex?

Numb

It's bloodborne time and my black ass is over here writing an essay.
Had enough of base game and not interested in the dlc. Unless you were talking about the base game.

Source

Boku no Hero is good stuff. Chuckled the first time i heard what All Mights moves were called.
So american
I remember her clearly man. Just not good with names especially regular sounding ones like that.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Had enough of base game and not interested in the dlc. Unless you were talking about the base game.

Boku no Hero is good stuff. Chuckled the first time i heard what All Mights moves were called.
So american
I remember her clearly man. Just not good with names especially regular sounding ones like that.
Dlc... I'm ready for bloodborne again, I haven't played it since it came out.

Numb

Dlc... I'm ready for bloodborne again, I haven't played it since it came out.
To replay or to continue where you left off?
It doesnt matter since replaying these games is actually really fun in NG+
You must be confused - here's Zuko:

ocover.jpg

:p

As for your original question, the dude's name is Saitama from the show/manga One Punch Man. It's all the hotness right now (because its fucking good). You can catch episodes on Hulu or Daisuki.
LOL
Check out OPM if you havent Eloquent.
If you are interested in that sort of stuff
After watching KLK all the way through I've completely renounced all anime.
KLK does that to people. Its like jumping to lvl 100 boss of a new game with starter gear

EloquentM

aka Mannny
To replay or to continue where you left off?
It doesnt matter since replaying these games is actually really fun in NG+

LOL
Check out OPM if you havent Eloquent.
If you are interested in that sort of stuffKLK does that to people. Its like jumping to lvl 100 boss of a new game with starter gear
I'll eventually get back into anime. It's on my list of nerdy stuff to do. I'm no longer unemployed anymore and I live with my girlfriend and I'm nearly done with my masters so I just don't have much time these days. In regards to bloodborne I have start fresh. On my old ps4 I was in ng+ but I no longer have that save file available to me on this current system.

Numb

I'll eventually get back into anime. It's on my list of nerdy stuff to do. I'm no longer unemployed anymore and I live with my girlfriend and I'm nearly done with my masters so I just don't have much time these days. In regards to bloodborne I have start fresh. On my old ps4 I was in ng+ but I no longer have that save file available to me on this current system.

Cool.
With OPM i doubt it will be that much to get through with how little there is of the source material and how slow it moves too. Finish it quick by the time you start it.
BB was fun. Looking forwward to DS3 and if they will bring back the BB hammer or something just as cool.

andthebeatgoeson

Better have HTown's principle in the new OT.

BCT OT: But where they violent last week?

Does anyone know how to make mac and cheese? I'm trying to get the inside of my mac and cheese creamier. I've heard you should use sour cream. I need some advice. Condensed milk? Whole Milk?

I don't think the comparison to blackface is necessarily warranted but having not yet seen the trailer what was described in the article, if accurate, does seem offensive. Specifically the hotdog or bun comment. It could be ascribed to androgyny, but as I said, I haven't seen the trailer to understand the context yet but I'll be checking immediately after posting this.

As for using Benedict Cumberbatch instead of a Trans actor... that's a hard one for me to parse. Zoolander is a parody of the modeling industry and I can't recall any non-Trans archetypes being spared in the first movie.. but even with that being the case.. I don't know if casting.. say Laverne Cox, Jamie Clayton, or any other Trans actor would necessarily be better or worse than casting Cumberbatch. One the one had, casting a Trans actor could be considered advantageous to the Trans community in the same sense that casting Black or Asian actors for roles in Hollywood is. On the other hand, the Trans actor who takes that role could be regarded in a manner analogous to an Uncle Tom due to the fact that the character is a parody. I'm just not close enough/educated enough about that community to call it one way or the other.

Edit: Ok.. just watched this trailer from Paramount and the way it's cut makes it hard for me to say if Cumberbatch's character is supposed to represent a Trans model or Androgynous one. I'm still not comfortable with the hotdog or bun line though. I feel like they could've gone more abstract with that joke and that it's the primary problem thus far.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It was a gross caricature (one that kind of needs to be better looked at and handled accordingly in Hollywood) so I can see where one would draw similarities to black face. I'll give this one a pass.

Slayven

The modern equivalent of blackface is still blackface

Do any of you guys read Liar Game (manga)? I use to and then I stopped when I went to college. I'm hoping to pick it back up soon.

I watched the live action show for the first season, but when the math got too heavy I tapped out

I swear BLM folks could be shot excuation style and folks out here will still be like "They didn't deserve it but they did"

Yep. It's insane that we still have to have moments to clarify how peaceful BLM has been overall in response to insane adversity. The fact that they literally white supremacists could fire on them and people still, years on, find a way to make it about BLMs methods and where on peacefulness sliding scale they were on day x vs day y is baffling. It's why I barely deal with people who go "I don't agree with this way of doing things" when BLM protests block a road or disrupt school. It's like, if you actually even understood or cared about what these activists have to suffer through and the ire they draw just to make an honest conversation happen in the media and in their judicial system, petty shit like having a safe space and creating traffic for an hour would be silly to be turned off by.

Man, people really despise that Mohamed kid and his family. This is the same Irving,TX that is still suffering racists and Islamaphobes yet the kid is somehow still the villain to some people.

Kreed

Really wish people knew how to use other ethnic group comparisons vs always using something related to black people. As for the article, as Jest Chillin said, we don't know if the actor is supposed to be Trans or not. The actor could be Androgynous, in addition to just being a male in Drag in the actual plot of the movie (wouldn't be surprised if the film makers use this as a way out if the actor is supposed to be Trans).

Do any of you guys read Liar Game (manga)? I use to and then I stopped when I went to college. I'm hoping to pick it back up soon.

It ends pretty abruptly/quickly (as in it probably had low ratings/the author was done with the series abruptly) so be prepared for that.

Slayven

Yep. It's insane that we still have to have moments to clarify how peaceful BLM has been overall in response to insane adversity. The fact that they literally white supremacists could fire on them and people still, years on, find a way to make it about BLMs methods and where on peacefulness sliding scale they were on day x vs day y is baffling. It's why I barely deal with people who go "I don't agree with this way of doing things" when BLM protests block a road or disrupt school. It's like, if you actually even understood or cared about what these activists have to suffer through and the ire they draw just to make an honest conversation happen in the media and in their judicial system, petty shit like having a safe space and creating traffic for an hour would be silly to be turned off by.

Man, people really despise that Mohamed kid and his family. This is the same Irving,TX that is still suffering racists and Islamaphobes yet the kid is somehow still the villain to some people.
yeah put in better words then i could. Folks really love hating the kid. You would think he is a real life supervillain.
Really wish people knew how to use other ethnic group comparisons vs always using something related to black people. As for the article, as Jest Chillin said, we don't know if the actor is supposed to be Trans or not. The actor could be Androgynous, in addition to just being a male in Drag in the actual plot of the movie (wouldn't be surprised if the film makers use this as a way out if the actor is supposed to be Trans).

It ends pretty abruptly/quickly (as in it probably had low ratings/the author was done with the series abruptly) so be prepared for that.

Yep, they know being black in America sucks, but only acknowledge when someone else is getting the work.

BigDes

yeah put in better words then i could. Folks really love hating the kid. You would think he is a real life supervillain.

Yep, they know being black in America sucks, but only acknowledge when someone else is getting the work.

Quantum Racism strikes again

Or it doesn't.

You can never tell.

Quantum Racism strikes again

Or it doesn't.

You can never tell.

Just one large interconnected web of coincidences and complaining for the sake of complaining until individual events are scrutinized, in which case the person is immediately distanced from potential racially-charged acts or feelings on the basis of having the forethought to be able to objectively separate someone's mentalities from the potential good in their actions (n-not that racist mentalities are a thing in 2015 anyway, outside of racists [not that those are really a thing in 2015, anyway])

BigDes

Just one large interconnected web of coincidences and complaining for the sake of complaining until individual events are scrutinized, in which case the person is immediately distanced from potential racially-charged acts or feelings on the basis of having the forethought to be able to objectively separate someone's mentalities from the potential good in their actions (n-not that racist mentalities are a thing in 2015 anyway, outside of racists [not that those are really a thing in 2015, anyway])

Racists? Oh you mean edgy trolls on the internet. They're not really racist, they're just edgy teens being edgy. It's just immature that's all. Like when you get angry and use racist insults, just because you're angry that's all. I mean we all do it I'm sure.

BigDes

Slayven help me win an argument here, or lose one potentially.

Renee Montoya was in B:TAS first and then got put into the comics right? It's another Harley situation?

Kreed

Slayven help me win an argument here, or lose one potentially.

Renee Montoya was in B:TAS first and then got put into the comics right? It's another Harley situation?

Renee Montoya is a fictional comic book character published by DC Comics. The character was initially created for Batman: The Animated Series, and was preemptively introduced into mainstream comics before the airing of her animated debut in 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renee_Montoya

It's a tie.

jmood88

Yeah, I see what Jmood was talking about in the Jessica Jones threads. It kills my mood seeing the negativity in there. It feels like I'm on 616 and their on 1014 or somewhere else.

I finally finished the whole thing I quite enjoyed it. Loved it in fact. I'm sort of embarrassed I finished it in only three days, but it has caused a creative spurt in me. Watching a good movie or show makes it easier to write for me and this show got a lot of words in for me. Like always, if something really resonates with me, I analyze everything that worked for it and try to apply that to my own writing. I'm eager to see where they go from here.

I had to give up on the regular OT thread and I'm close to skipping the spoiler thread, too. It's crazy how different the response is here compared to every other site I've gone to.

I find this corny. Don't think I'm picking on you; I understand why negativity can get bothersome. And I'm using your sentiments to address the wider issue I have with tone policing in OTs. But trying to understand diverging perspectives when it comes to entertainment is healthy if it's constructive.

I found JJ mediocre for many reasons, and I share those thoughts to inform, not to kill your vibe. I don't think we watched different shows just because you liked it and I mostly didn't. I simply think we have different opinions. and those diverging persprctives help me further reflect upon my own. Makes watching a show more fun that way.

I don't find too much toxicity in the JJ thread - it's mostly positive. But it shouldn't be a circle jerk: people are allowed to have problems with it.
There's nothing wrong with criticism but the response to Jessica Jones has been much more nitpicky and petty than it was for Daredevil and many times people have either been straight up missing things that were explicitly said in the show or keep complaining about no major cameos from Daredevil. And neither he nor I said that it needs to be a "circle jerk" or that people can't have problems with it but that the constant negativity in the thread is off-putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom