• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm expecting to receive a paragraph response now. I'll just throw my hands up now and say it's not that deep BUT I'll still wait for his response though. If he is really a comic fan I want to hear his thoughts. I mean, Spiderman is my #2 favorite but Static is still the best.

Static doesn't exist without Spider-Man.

Poor brainy kid? Check and Check.
Pushed around at school? Check and Check.
Smart ass remarks? Check and Check.
Close friend who is a red head? Oh so much check and check.

That said, my five faves, in no particular order, are Static, Spider-Man, Amanda Waller, Storm, and Wonder Woman.

I'm sorry, but no. She was genuinely curious about what? Where do you find the good black men? How do you even quantify that? It's an offensive question from the jump.

Where do you find the good black men? The same place you find everyone else.

But she later apologizes and even says she is aware of the judgements she makes. She even states she tries to not to profile someone from looks and puts the fault on herself. I think it was justified to show your disapproval with her first post, but she corrects herself later on. I mean its difficult to totally believe her wanting to learn more since her last post was in the old BCT OT and there isn't much else there to learn about her, but she does show cooperation towards the end.

Slayven

I'm expecting to receive a paragraph response now. I'll just throw my hands up now and say it's not that deep BUT I'll still wait for his response though. If he is really a comic fan I want to hear his thoughts. I mean, Spiderman is my #2 favorite but Static is still the best.

Static doesn't exist without Spider-Man.

Poor brainy kid? Check and Check.
Pushed around at school? Check and Check.
Smart ass remarks? Check and Check.
Close friend who is a red head? Oh so much check and check.

That said, my five faves, in no particular order, are Static, Spider-Man, Amanda Waller, Storm, and Wonder Woman.

Mrs. Manky covered it, but yeah Spiderman defined the Archetype Static and so many others owe their existance too.

Don't get me wrong I love Static, Spiderman has way more stories and has a heart that so many fictional characters let alone comic characters can duplicate.

Static did have cool friends
35347-5261-39477-1-superboy.jpg

I am so mad they changed Rocket's costume in the cartoon.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
But she later apologizes and even says she is aware of the judgements she makes. She even states she tries to not to profile someone from looks and puts the fault on herself. I think it was justified to show your disapproval with her first post, but she corrects herself later on. I mean its difficult to totally believe her wanting to learn more since her last post was in the old BCT OT and there isn't much else there to learn about her, but she does show cooperation towards the end.

I still stand behind my belief that she should've worded her question better. You can't ask that kind of question at that time of day and expect people to answer it in a nice tone.

Crocodile

Had to google Amanda Waller.lol thats awesome.
Not a big comic guy but in no order, Static, Batman, Hulk, Spiderman, Wolverine.

Google Amanda Waller? She was everywhere in the Justice League (and related) animated universe. Have you not seen those shows? For shame son. SMH

That avi.
You already know who best girl is.
r8XNZ.gif

Having this GIF move at 2x+ speed ruins it. The slow buildup is what makes it work.

Africanus

Also, rewatching the Static Shock episodes earlier this year made me realize that my younger self never got to see the Static-Teen Titans crossover I anticipated.

Numb

Google Amanda Waller? She was everywhere in the Justice League (and related) animated universe. Have you not seen those shows? For shame son. SMH

Having this GIF move at 2x+ speed ruins it. The slow buildup is what makes it work.
Seen her before multiple times over the years but forgot her name.
Gif is faster cos i need to approve faster.
yeah it randomly came up and found funny

Okay I'm hearing some good reasons why Spiderman is #1 for you guys, but Static holds a special place in my heart.

On another topic: how do you guys feel about "pop" and "urban" culture being considered "black culture" by the general public?

I personally call most things that fall into pop/urban culture as fuccboi culture ("hoverboards", all the dances popping up--only fuccboi-ish if you are over 18: whip, nae-nae, hit the fam, dab). I think it is great the kids can be kids and have fun with dances but I get bothered that some of the most popular FB videos shared are that of blacks dancing. It puts a taste in my mouth that entertaining others is the only way blacks can be worthy of attention or admiration.

Now there are certain things that can be attributed to black culture: the arts, the characteristic of having grit, HBCUs, etc., but a lot of modern stuff I see as just pop culture and it bothers me that everything is seen as "black".

Just a few weeks ago an Asian chick named MeeMee (or something like that, her videos have been popular for awhile) was going viral because of her video telling others to let her be "black" and by black she means how she talks, and dresses.

I'm not the gatekeeper to blackness and more often than not negative characteristics are considered "black" and I enjoy my black memes but at the end of the day I sometime just sit and think about what it means to me to be black, and what does the world think about me.

But that's just my opinion, let me know if this is too deep for my introduction day. /cole

LionPride

Banned
Okay I'm hearing some good reasons why Spiderman is #1 for you guys, but Static holds a special place in my heart.

On another topic: how do you guys feel about "pop" and "urban" culture being considered "black culture" by the general public?

I personally call most things that fall into pop/urban culture as fuccboi culture ("hoverboards", all the dances popping up--only fuccboi-ish if you are over 18: whip, nae-nae, hit the fam, dab). I think it is great the kids can be kids and have fun with dances but I get bothered that some of the most popular FB videos shared are that of blacks dancing. It puts a taste in my mouth that entertaining others is the only way blacks can be worthy of attention or admiration.

Now there are certain things that can be attributed to black culture: the arts, the characteristic of having grit, HBCUs, etc., but a lot of modern stuff I see as just pop culture and it bothers me that everything is seen as "black".

Just a few weeks ago an Asian chick named MeeMee (or something like that, her videos have been popular for awhile) was going viral because of her video telling others to let her be "black" and by black she means how she talks, and dresses.

I'm not the gatekeeper to blackness and more often than not negative characteristics are considered "black" and I enjoy my black memes but at the end of the day I sometime just sit and think about what it means to me to be black, and what does the world think about me.

But that's just my opinion, let me know if this is too deep for my introduction day. /cole
I hate how a lot of aspects of what is considered black culture tend to be negative. The positive aspects get taken and used constantly while the negative aspects remain. I hate how much of pop culture is seen as just black culture. I hate how people say "speaking black" or"dressing black". We don't all talk the same, dress the same, or all like the same things. People won't understand that though

Al Roker championing Uber. Yeah, I see ya.

Al Roker can't get a cab. He's never been a sellout, but you know America loves him. He's the Wayne Brady of meteorologists. You'd think the cabbie would have recognized him. Even at this weight.

But yeah, Uber and Lyft have the rep of picking up fares regardless of race.

andthebeatgoeson

Al Roker can't get a cab. He's never been a sellout, but you know America loves him. He's the Wayne Brady of meteorologists. You'd think the cabbie would have recognized him. Even at this weight.

But yeah, Uber and Lyft have the rep of picking up fares regardless of race.

Even with the shitty drivers who are molesting people, I support Uber for this reason. Fuck Cabbies.

I really don't know shit about comics, but based on my limited knowledge BP is best pony. Also, question: what would you guys consider the "definitive" / iconic Black Panther costume? I feel like out of all the superheroes I know of, he has the most fluid visual identity, and it seems like his costumes vary pretty substantially depending on the run; "beefy dude in black / dark navy suit with cat ears and a 'necklace' of teeth (adjust depending on tech level)" seems like the only real requirement and a lot of designs have spun off from there.

I don't know if I'd consider it the perfect design, but I think EMH did a good job of consolidating prior concepts:

latest

The yellow eyes look sharp and distinctive and don't necessarily dominate the costume - I feel like the designs that try and turn his tech gold ultimately look too distracting / overbearing - and throwing in some small amounts of color with the pale orchid / denim highlights are really complementary to his design. I think it'd be neat to see him with some really sharp indigo accents or something, though.

EDIT: That, and I think BP works way better as a more limber design. Making him too buff and featureless puts him dangerously close to "Killer Instinct bonus boss" territory:

04a9d627dcbaf23123559f421b71b9fc.jpg

Glacius_KI2.png

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Majestic Casual YouTube channel was just taken down. This is a fucking tragedy. So many good tracks, gone, just like that.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Y'all killing me with this super hero talk. What happened to swooning over girls every five posts. don't tell me anime cycle bout to come next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom