• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I had to give up on the regular OT thread and I'm close to skipping the spoiler thread, too. It's crazy how different the response is here compared to every other site I've gone to.

There's nothing wrong with criticism but the response to Jessica Jones has been much more nitpicky and petty than it was for Daredevil and many times people have been straight up missing things that were explicitly said in the show or keep complaining about no major cameos from Daredevil. And neither he nor I said that it needs to be a "circle jerk" or that people can't have problems with it but that the constant negativity in the thread is off-putting.

I really think people are rushing through it causes them to miss shit.

Binge has it benefits but so dudes the once a week thing. gives people time to maranate

Yeah, my Uncle and his husband moved to Turkey a few years ago to start a couple of businesses.

Kind of terrified that something is going to happen to him tbh

Russia has no chill.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's weird how OT is the only place on the internet that doesn't completely love Jessica Jones. The show is the best thing Marvel's ever put out, easily.

I'd say there are other parts that have some issues with JJ, but it's definitely the minority.

It's when the Daredevil comparisons show up, that's when the debates start.

Slayven

It's weird how OT is the only place on the internet that doesn't completely love Jessica Jones. The show is the best thing Marvel's ever put out, easily.

Truth. Going in there, kills your vibe.

The worse thing about the internet is that it gives people a false sense of importance..

"I don't like this so it must be shit", "I don't know this so it much be relevant"

it is ok to criticize something, even hate something but folks need to learn their opinion is not the end all be all.

could have done more with Bart Allen Flash

To use a wrestling reference, the list of wasted opportunities is twice as long as a list of wasted potential stars in TNA. Hell, ten times more seeing how they've been around for decades longer.

Striking while the iron is hot is not what DC is known for.

Slayven

To use a wrestling reference, the list of wasted opportunities is twice as long as a list of wasted potential stars in TNA. Hell, ten times more seeing how they've been around for decades longer.

Striking while the iron is hot is not what DC is known for.

And the stuff they do go whole hog behind forever leaves me confused

Red-Circle-preview-dc-comics-6522485-1405-2100.jpg
Jessica Jones |OT2| her personality and acting would carry through better if she looked like Alexis Texas

Please don't tell me that's a real post.

Hahaha i saw that post where he said the show would be better if she was more attractive.

Totally missing the point

Kreed

Stumpokapow with the truth bomb of the day:

Outrage culture. Minor anecdote about small town school that affects at most a dozen or so kids for a few minutes for one day... basically, if this story is 100% true, the story is "A Bad Teacher Exists". Okay. Now package it up into an article that has a politically provocative point and share across the internet, now people from all sorts of countries can get REALLY ANGRY about SOCIETY THESE DAYS.

Looking at the outlets that have posted this over the last few days:
The original story went minorly viral on the following subreddits 5 days ago:
/r/rage (111 comments, 629 points. It was posted by this guy)
/r/TumblrInAction (365 comments, 1,393 points, posted by this guy).
As you can see both posters are basically full-time contributors of social justice content that will make you angry. To give context to /r/rage, they do have a rule against "manufacturing outrage" but the current top weekly posts are a waiter receiving something mean on a receipt; a random person's facebook comment; a random person's tweet; an article from Tucker Carlson's site; and an animated gif of someone skateboarding while holding a baby. So I think I've established that it's mostly very small stakes stuff blowing up into viral ragegasms.

Although the original story died out, today the CBS story it got posted on reddit (presumably /r/news is the source for it being posted here). It was posted here 30 minutes ago and there are over 100 replies. Looked through the first 120 or so and here's what I found:
Posts less than 3 lines long but angry about this: ~95
Corrections: ~7-8
Other: ~10

So, mission accomplished. Outrage generated. FUCK THIS WOMAN, FUCK THIS TEACHING, UGH, FUCK, SOCIETY, FUCK

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145195

The thread in question, complete with the "usual suspects" complaining about outrage culture and posters posting South Park images as Slayven brought up in here a few pages ago.

Either that or the newest game show coming to ABC this fall where constestants have to rely on their knowledge of "urban" culture if they wanna win one million dollars.

It's basically strip trivia with some cuckolding thrown in - every time you get a question wrong, a bunch of black dudes come out and laugh at you while porking your spouse.

Tecmo can kiss my ass trying to stir up a DOAXV3 controversy.

Everyone knows your modus operandi with DOA. Own up to it or shut up. Don't act like the west are scaring you off.

Tecmo can kiss my ass trying to stir up a DOAXV3 controversy.

Everyone knows your modus operandi with DOA. Own up to it or shut up. Don't act like the west are scaring you off.

That thread was embarrassing. My favorite part was all the people implying KT still had a reputation in the West that was under threat from the SJWs™. Being "that one Japanese publisher that makes Dynasty Warriors and the big-tittied fighting/volleyball games" ain't much of a reputation.

Sch1sm

I'll be watching Star Wars day one, already bought the tickets. My hype is 0, my care is 0, but it isn't my month to choose what movie to watch. I'm not a huge fan. I've watched all the other movies, just don't have that attachment to the world.

I'll be watching Star Wars day one, already bought the tickets. My hype is 0, my care is 0, but it isn't my month to choose what movie to watch. I'm not a huge fan. I've watched all the other movies, just don't have that attachment to the world.

I feel pretty much the same. I have tickets for the thursday before release at 7pm at the Smithsonian museum for true IMAX experience. Only downside is there will be no popcorn to buy. . need to smuggle in snacks.

jmood88

Same as me. I've somehow seen all the movies and I'll probably see the new one at midnight cause I know JJ is gonna make it great but I'm not as big a fan as so many other people are.

Numb

Same as me. I've somehow seen all the movies and I'll probably see the new one at midnight cause I know JJ is gonna make it great but I'm not as big a fan as so many other people are.

Same here too.
Somehow care more about the shows that follow with the new stuff than the the movie itself.
If they make them.

Numb

When even the guys that have the game are ghosting.
Have you tried the OT? It's better than playing with randoms or worse. One of those lol

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Either that or the newest game show coming to ABC this fall where constestants have to rely on their knowledge of "urban" culture if they wanna win one million dollars.

yup

naomi woods

i think i'm turning into DY

It's basically strip trivia with some cuckolding thrown in - every time you get a question wrong, a bunch of black dudes come out and laugh at you while porking your spouse.
its too early for this y'all. Save some fuckery for thanksgiving.

I don't think the comparison to blackface is necessarily warranted but having not yet seen the trailer what was described in the article, if accurate, does seem offensive. Specifically the hotdog or bun comment. It could be ascribed to androgyny, but as I said, I haven't seen the trailer to understand the context yet but I'll be checking immediately after posting this.

As for using Benedict Cumberbatch instead of a Trans actor... that's a hard one for me to parse. Zoolander is a parody of the modeling industry and I can't recall any non-Trans archetypes being spared in the first movie.. but even with that being the case.. I don't know if casting.. say Laverne Cox, Jamie Clayton, or any other Trans actor would necessarily be better or worse than casting Cumberbatch. One the one had, casting a Trans actor could be considered advantageous to the Trans community in the same sense that casting Black or Asian actors for roles in Hollywood is. On the other hand, the Trans actor who takes that role could be regarded in a manner analogous to an Uncle Tom due to the fact that the character is a parody. I'm just not close enough/educated enough about that community to call it one way or the other.

Edit: Ok.. just watched this trailer from Paramount and the way it's cut makes it hard for me to say if Cumberbatch's character is supposed to represent a Trans model or Androgynous one. I'm still not comfortable with the hotdog or bun line though. I feel like they could've gone more abstract with that joke and that it's the primary problem thus far.

It was a gross caricature (one that kind of needs to be better looked at and handled accordingly in Hollywood) so I can see where one would draw similarities to black face. I'll give this one a pass.

They're making fun of the androgynous models that were popular a few years ago.

The modern equivalent of blackface is still blackface

Yep

Man I am going back and readin The Ray series.

Man shit is wild

In one future the Ray and Bart Allen are fighting over the same woman

I didn't know old big feet had some Joe in him.

I should go back and read the series. The Ray needs to come back already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom