• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Just quit doing it part time. I wouldn't recommend it. Draining, you sweat like an animal, and the pay is nowhere near good enough.

But you gotta do what you gotta do.
Yeah, I worked part time at UPS years ago and it was the worst job I've ever had.

RedSwirl

Just quit doing it part time. I wouldn't recommend it. Draining, you sweat like an animal, and the pay is nowhere near good enough.

But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Seems better than the absolute zero I've been getting in-between contract writing for the last... three years?

Like, how difficult is it really?

Well if you've been out of work for three years you don't really have a choice. I hated the shit, especially since Fedex is quick to send you home. I walked all the way to work on plenty occasions and they said they had plenty of people and you can go home or I worked for an hour or a few minutes before the supe said it. Ooh that shit pissed me off and most of my checks were only a measly $72.

I have been contemplating going back to work there, but I had those reminders in the back of my head and the HR guy seemed surprised that I kept coming back. I don't want him to really know that I haven't managed to do better.

Ahem.

Hathor is an Egyptian goddess of love who often took the form of a cow or had the head of a cow. Which is what I meant, not an insult to Keke Palmer or Nicki Minaj. I'm a big girl myself so I'm not gonna hate on any shapes or sizes.

She also said to take the form of a Lion, cuz nicki is fierce.

and I also referenced Aphrodite which was said just be a plain bad bitch.

Ahem.

Slayven

Ahem.

Hathor is an Egyptian goddess of love who often took the form of a cow or had the head of a cow. Which is what I meant, not an insult to Keke Palmer or Nicki Minaj. I'm a big girl myself so I'm not gonna hate on any shapes or sizes.

latest
RIP Stargate

Trey

Seems better than the absolute zero I've been getting in-between contract writing for the last... three years?

Like, how difficult is it really?

I don't think it's a matter of being difficult. It's manual labor but it's not *hard*, per se. It's super monotonous, virtually non stop (you get ten minutes of personal time but let's be serious), and the pay is simply not worth it for the conditions you go through and the stress you put on your body. You can toss packages all day with a blank mind, but it is draining on the soul, and mentally disengaging.

It's one of those jobs that humans really don't need to do, and indeed, package handlers probably won't exist at all, anywhere, in fifteen years. You don't accrue any skills, you are basically a cog in the machine, the compensation isn't livable, and you'll pick up calluses and bruises and cuts and scrapes and back pain and joint pain along the way. Especially if you do it for a while looking to get the benefits.

You're better off applying for a supervisor position. They seem to give those to anyone in school or with a degree. You'll still be tossing packages every now and then, but the pay is better and you actually do other stuff.

RedSwirl

Well if you've been out of work for three years you don't really have a choice. I hated the shit, especially since Fedex is quick to send you home. I walked all the way to work on plenty occasions and they said they had plenty of people and you can go home or I worked for an hour or a few minutes before the supe said it. Ooh that shit pissed me off and most of my checks were only a measly $72.

I have been contemplating going back to work there, but I had those reminders in the back of my head and the HR guy seemed surprised that I kept coming back. I don't want him to really know that I haven't managed to do better.

Oh I've already gotten the tour and it seems a bit different. It's not Fedex, and If I get the job I'm guaranteed to be working four hours a day every weekday. Pay will definitely be better than $72 a week. Not nearly enough for me to move out over here, but enough to where I'm not broke as fuck. My plan is to do this or find another part-time job while spending the rest of my time looking for actual writing/editing jobs and continuing to try freelance writing.

Freelance writing has been glacial as fuck though. It would be amazing if I could actually land a column or at least a publication willing to let me do a recurring series of articles for a while like I've seen some people manage. I feel that could at least take the place of a part-time minimum wage job while I searched for full-time writing while simultaneously getting me needed experience. I need to figure out how MHWilliams worked this out.

I don't think it's a matter of being difficult. It's manual labor but it's not *hard*, per se. It's super monotonous, virtually non stop (you get ten minutes of personal time but let's be serious), and the pay is simply not worth it for the conditions you go through and the stress you put on your body. You can toss packages all day with a blank mind, but it is draining on the soul, and mentally disengaging.

It's one of those jobs that humans really don't need to do, and indeed, package handlers probably won't exist at all, anywhere, in fifteen years. You don't accrue any skills, you are basically a cog in the machine, the compensation isn't livable, and you'll pick up calluses and bruises and cuts and scrapes and back pain and joint pain along the way. Especially if you do it for a while looking to get the benefits.

You're better off applying for a supervisor position. They seem to give those to anyone in school or with a degree. You'll still be tossing packages every now and then, but the pay is better and you actually do other stuff.

You're probably right. Supervisor positions didn't show up, and wherever I look those always seem to require a shitload of experience. Hell even the cashier and customer service jobs ask for 3-5 years.

Thinking about this makes me miss those last couple jobs I had until three years ago. Technically they counted as "freelance" but pretty much felt like part-time.

One had me driving all over town interviewing businesses to collect information for a database the town's consumers could use. I got paid based on the listing and took home maybe $120 a week. Planning my routes took a shitload of off-the-clock work in Google Earth though. Got to really learn my way around the area too. A few times I got an opportunity to report and write a local news story for an extra $50. Only downside was the August heat.

Unfortunately that database was a temporary project and only lasted a few months. A while after that came a job at the same company to maintain a calendar of interesting events happening around town (and the surrounding four towns actually). This pretty much just involved me sitting at my computer and checking calendars on the same 10 websites for 30 hours a week. I think I got paid something like $9 or $12 an hour. I don't quite remember but I still took home in the neighborhood of $100 a week. Got laid off on New Years Day when the company didn't need "freelancers" anymore. The reason I even got into those jobs was because a college classmate got put in charge of the whole local chapter of the company.

Now I realize I just got incredibly lucky to find telework that was intellectually stimulating enough and paid decently.

Dereck

In that thread I don't recall many people directly addressing Banks' comments. I'm not sure if I disagree with her or not. It's hard to decide just because Nicki Minaj likes the statue, but regardless of her approval, I wonder if there is a little more to the statue than just Nicki and if it says something deeper about what Nicki fans like her for specifically.

royalan

In that thread I don't recall many people directly addressing Banks' comments. I'm not sure if I disagree with her or not. It's hard to decide just because Nicki Minaj likes the statue, but regardless of her approval, I wonder if there is a little more to the statue than just Nicki and if it says something deeper about what Nicki fans like her for specifically.

I think the fact that Nicki likes the statue makes it difficult to discuss. But I will say that before I knew that, I agreed with Azealia and thought it was a little shady. Yes, Nicki is a sexual artist, but so are a lot of Pop girls and you don't see their statues hunched over. I mean, Rihanna's as sexual as they come, and this is her most recent (I think) statue:

2eyL60H.jpg

But Madame Tussaud's could have used this shot from her Pour it Up video, but they didn't:

9kLfoBq.gif

So why does Nicki have to be in doggy style pose? Especially when you know how people are going to treat the statue...

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I mean there very well could be an hidden agenda with the Nicki statue but people tend to forget that art is subjective. Could have a ton of different meanings or none at all. This kinda reminds me of the Allen-Jones scupture controversy.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't see the problem if Nikki has no issue with it.

That is how she presents herself, as a sex symbol, and that is one of (if not the most) famous positions she put herself in for her video.

The Martha comparison is dumb because going to jail is not something she did by choice or something she promotes as part of her identity.

Would it be better if she was in a more dominant sexual position?

And I rarely agree with Banks. She's just loud and often doesn't understand seem to truly understand arguments she supports. She just blasts stuff on Twitter with conviction and starts drama when people point of flaws in her reasoning.

I don't even care about the topic of the Nikki thread, the fact so many dudes fell into the guy in the pink pants thirst trap is fuckin hysterical .

Bubba T

I don't even care about the topic of the Nikki thread, the fact so many dudes fell into the guy in the pink pants thirst trap is fuckin hysterical .

My excuse is that my wisdom teeth were just pulled and I wasn't in my right mind to spot the trap.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Royalan, it's Wednesday. Where's the Work-It image post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom