• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bad about Flotbots, dunno why, but I thought they were Australian.

So, let me get this straight. You're not going to argue anything, just nitpick me saying the majority, rather than a lot. Ok.

This is a big reason why shit never gets anywhere on gaf.(hell the internet in general) Shit like this. Fuck me even bringing this shit up if you're gonna go at me like some dude in OT. Fuck that. Im out.

EDIT: Pointlessly antagonistic post. Sorry Onemic.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
See, that's different because I don't disagree that the reverse is true. Hip hop is a product of black culture and influenced by it. But when people of other ethnic groups adopt hip hop, that isn't culture appropriation of black culture. It's when they wear du-rags/get braids/alter their physical appearances/adopt our slang/etc... with no knowledge of where it comes from that they are appropriating.

I agree, hip hop will always be a product of black culture. There's nothing wrong when other ethnic groups adopt it into their own style. The keyword here is adopt.

Lol who hurt you? Make a stupid statement, get a dismissive response. Don't think you're owed a dissertation refuting your "point" just because you're not "some dude in OT."

Also, Australia isn't part of the UK and has a completely different accent so I'm not sure how that helps your point...

Whether you agree with him or not, you weren't exactly helping with your posts. Engage but don't dismiss.

Jacir

That thread about nostalgic software reminded me of some Reader Rabbit game that I played. I wonder if I would enjoy them again.

Numb

Wow not going back to gaming side for a while. Literally believe that having material stuff makes you immune to depression.

Numb

Why am i trying to defend some billionaire white guy? I don't even play Minecraft. Must be because of being in Sweden now. His powers got to me.

Just can't stand people belittling depression like that.

Infinite

See, that's different because I don't disagree that the reverse is true. Hip hop is a product of black culture and influenced by it. But when people of other ethnic groups adopt hip hop, that isn't culture appropriation of black culture. It's when they wear du-rags/get braids/alter their physical appearances/adopt our slang/etc... with no knowledge of where it comes from that they are appropriating.
For me I think it's appropriation when there's erasure. Basically what I mean by that is it's appropriation when the significance and impact to the people the culture originates from is removed and replaced with something shallow or/and denigrating (Native American mascots for example), thus they no longer feel in control of something that is apart of their identity. I consider hip-hop to be apart of the black identity while agreeing with you on your point of it not being appropriation when other cultures and races simply adopt it. So I don't think of rappers like Mac miller, Eminem, Paul Wall etc. as appropriators. However for me the line is crossed when say for a example a k-pop boy band uses hip-hop culture to give one of its members some "edge" while their fans refer to him as the "black" member and he deals with colorism. The significance of hip-hop is no longer there in that context, it's just a cheap and shallow marketing trick that'll probably disappear once they want a new trend pops up.

Numb

Understanding now why you gotta do the 6hr prep getting things in order and cleaning your shoes when you have to go over the border.

Slayven

It's all that cash money.
Under some sort of Swedish spell getting pulled in like that.

I can see how suddenly having the power to do everything you want can be isolating. Not everyone is built like Dr.Doom.

But that Jimmy Kimmel thread, the salt was giving me high blood pressure

andthebeatgoeson

Fuckery free Friday... Oops, it's Saturday.

NM

Fczvxjh.jpg

Numb

I can see how suddenly having the power to do everything you want can be isolating. Not everyone is built like Dr.Doom.

But that Jimmy Kimmel thread, the salt was giving me high blood pressure
If i had that power i would be rolling with diamonds kicks and my family would be right next door chilling and cooking everyday. Fuck everybody else.
From what little i know of Doom he seemed liked the baddest dude. Heard he took over the world twice and got bored.

Few things bring together gamers like an outsider making fun of them. Seemed like a dumb jab that i've already seen. Same joke the onion did. As a dude who watches fighting streams all the time that dude can go eat a dick. You were the worst out of all the others kimmel when i used to watch late night shows.

Can't believe i used to get all my US news from Leno,Fallon,Conan and SNL. Still watch SNL tho.

Numb

I could never sit and watch people play games, makes me antsy.

Not gonna lie that my gaming went down 90% since joining gaf and watching streams and LPs all the time. Played Monster Hunter and Bloodborne only this year (15 last year)even though i bought other games aswell.Don't count Tekken since i do it like a daily chore. Helped define what games i would actually want to play legit tho. Fall season and all that excites me is MGS and some short brainless musou games.

andthebeatgoeson

Damn, must suck to watch other people play. I'm not sure i really understand why people do it. I get a ton of feedback from actually moving in a game world. Just got a few hours of Luigi mansion in yesterday. I only watch videos to avoid gamefaqs.

Maybe you are just bored with games? I don't know, I had a year or two of boredom a few years back.

Numb

The weekly fighting streams have gone down and the only one left standing is going down aswell in a couple of months. So other than tournaments that are far off between each other nothing much left there.

LPers i watch are SBFP only. Only ones who like fighters,anime and Platinum so i got drawn in quick there. That's about it.

I am bored with most games and only anticipate ones i know i like already. Just easier listening to some tunes watching some dude play a game you are curious about.

andthebeatgoeson

I will say that when I got bored of games, it helped to try a new genre. 90% of my gameplay over the last two years is in a genre I had never played before: monster hunter.

Got really depressed with sports games, platformers are kind of boring. If you think Tekken is a chore, you might have to step out into another genre. I would hope LPs make that decision easier.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I watch people play games I think look cool but doubt I'll ever play either due to the type of gameplay, time sink, or being on a platform I don't own.

Numb

I will say that when I got bored of games, it helped to try a new genre. 90% of my gameplay over the last two years is in a genre I had never played before: monster hunter.

Got really depressed with sports games, platformers are kind of boring. If you think Tekken is a chore, you might have to step out into another genre. I would hope LPs make that decision easier.

I did this severeal severeal times since what i knew mostly during my entire childhood was soccer. Spent a good 7 years playing soccer games because they were the most famous ones in the arcades so when i got outta there i played all of the genres and games i could get my hands on. Don't even like soccer but nothing else to play and i somehow managed to know atleast one player from every single team. Dark times. PC and MMO never clicked with me and my one finger typing skills. So i fell in the turnbased hole of RPGs and mostly did play games that reminded me of arcade.
I watch people play games I think look cool but doubt I'll ever play either due to the type of gameplay, time sink, or being on a platform I don't own.
Time sink is one big deal for me too. I watch youtube and shows in 2x speed so i go through games quick. Speedruns in 2x speed are something.You can't do that with fighting game tournaments tho.

Numb

i watch videos to see how to get past spots where I am stuck. But as for personalty streams? Nah breh

If you put down a game and dont touch it for a while and dont want to i usually just watch the speedrun of it andsell it. Super entertaining.
Even watch speedruns after i beat the game. Seeing someone beat a game that took you 50hrs in 50min is intense. Soul series i did this for. Add the 2x speed and you got like a 20 min vid while you eat.

Why am i trying to defend some billionaire white guy? I don't even play Minecraft. Must be because of being in Sweden now. His powers got to me.

Just can't stand people belittling depression like that.

To many people depression is just a personal fault or something that you need to get over of. Even many institutions/employers, at least around here, don't treat as a disease.

BigDes

I like to watch a guy called Harshly Critical

He only does horror games but he plays a lot of the shitty free indie ones that are either clones of Slender or Five Nights and is quite amusing watching him get mad at them.

He's not one for the shrieking or yelling either. Mostly it is a rasied eyebrow and a muttered what the fuck?

Numb

Can't play horror games cos jump scares kill me so i just watch the Shitstorm the SBFP do every year for a month. That's my xp with horror games other than RE4.

Grantland:

This is a moment because it is a culmination for Serena’s career, and this is a moment because it is a culmination for what Serena’s career represents. If she wins this tournament, the case that she is not the greatest player in the history of women’s tennis more or less evaporates, even for the few holdouts still clinging to it. Graf was amazing. Navratilova was incredible. But to many people it has been obvious for a long time now that Serena is an evolutionary advance.

uhhhh

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So somebody leaked some stuff from the Civil War trailer

first glimpse of Black Panther on screen:

CNlGb7LWEAA3wt0.jpg

RedSwirl

When it comes to watching gaming video programming I just miss The 1up Show and its format.

I get it that just watching people play games is the new TV for some people, but I'm just not that interested in it most of the time. You can get some good commentary if there are some smart/experienced people doing the commentary, but I still prefer to just watch footage overlayed on top of people talking about the game after they've had time to digest their thoughts. I actually prefer to listen to people talk about games on podcasts for that very reason. Putting relevant footage on top of that kind of conversation is probably my ideal format and back in the 1up Show days I thought it was the most effective way to preview games.

Maybe it was a lot more expensive but I guess that's part of why it looked a lot more professional to me than the YouTubers I'm seeing today. It's a shame 1up Show tried to do its thing like five years before the YTers happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom