• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.
4c5cf709f0.png

Somebody want to update my Nicki Minaj thread? I'm at work.

lucky man 😌

Kreed

There's Brazillians that don't listen to or perform Samba does that then mean it's not apart of Brazillian culture?

And there's black people that don't eat Soul Food, or wear afros/dreads/braids. But these things still are more part of the "black experience" than Hip Hop was/is. Hell when Hip Hop first came around, it was mostly participated in by people living up North since it originated in NY and black people from other regions were were discouraged from participating in it/it took longer for black people from other regions to get acceptance in the culture (ex: Southern black hip hop artists who weren't considered "real" hip hop). Basketball is more black culture than hip hop is IMO, but that's not even up for discussion since we didn't invent it.

akira28

Holy cow, Junior Samples went for it. Are people allowed to touch the statues?

you know the history of the black queen. white men been licking booty and more in the shadows of their plantation houses. And if they couldn't afford one of those, they did it behind the juke joint.

yeah he went for it.

Gattsu25

Banned
So just watched the Pakman video in the thread about the guy getting pulled over for looking while black...so is Pakman now pretending to give a shit about black people again?

Like I said, if it's only her rapping style, who really cares? Do we care that British artists for the most part sound like they came from the US when they sing? Do we care that The Who sound like they came from the South? Drake sounds like he came from outside Rosedale?(or wherever rich neighbourhood he grew up from) Noone has faulted flobots for not sounding Australian. If you fault Iggy for her rapping style you have to fault every non-black rapper in existence. The music industry in general is filled to the brim with people using it as a way to make money rather than the art form itself, so why is she singled out simply because of the accent? If it went beyond that to how she deals with people in interviews or what have you, then there would be some understanding, but from how I see it, it's just an excuse. To me if you wanna attack her, put her closer to someone like Lana del rey, a record company creation than someone that consciously is trying to belittle black culture by taking it and trying to say that its her own.

Yeah... No.

Onemic

Yeah... No.

Please man, I'm not some random dude in OT. Actually respond to my post if you're gonna quote it.

If it's for the bolded, I can give you many examples some of which I already provided:

The Who
FloBots
Adele
Amy Winehouse
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
George Michael
Genesis
etc.

Some of those in that list would have a singing voice that's considered black(Winehouse and Adele...Although American I can add Aguilera to this list as well) and no one once accused them of CA.

Infinite

And there's black people that don't eat Soul Food, or wear afros/dreads/braids. But these things still are more part of the "black experience" than Hip Hop was/is. Hell when Hip Hop first came around, it was mostly participated in by people living up North since it originated in NY and black people from other regions were were discouraged from participating in it/it took longer for black people from other regions to get acceptance in the culture (ex: Southern black hip hop artists who weren't considered "real" hip hop). Basketball is more black culture than hip hop is IMO, but that's not even up for discussion since we didn't invent it.

I respect your perspective but I ultimately disagree. Divorcing hip-hop from the black American experience that birthed it is a mistake. Yes, hip-hop culture is it's own beast and can be examine seperately from other artifacts of black American culture but you'll be hard pressed to actual remove the black experience from it in attempt to understand it's significance and source. You can not talk Hip-hop culture and remove the black experience from it.

Please man, I'm not some random dude in OT. Actually respond to my post if you're gonna quote it.

If it's for the bolded, I can give you many examples some of which I already provided:

The Who
FloBots
Adele
Amy Winehouse
AC/DC
Rolling Stones
George Michael
Genesis
etc.

Some of those in that list would have a singing voice that's considered black(Winehouse and Adele...Although American I can add Aguilera to this list as well) and no one once accused them of CA.

I'm not getting into a list war with someone who thinks the majority of British artists sound American.

the flobots are british?

Genesis sounds straight up British though..been listening to them for years.

Denver, Colorado.

Slayven

Earth-TRN231_02.jpg

Summers was raised as a slave, and was beaten regularly every week regardless of his actions. This continued until after Scott's mother died, and his mutant powers activated. He was later recruited by Colonel Fury and Doctor Xavier who trained him to use his powers. He served in the Union Army and obtained the rank of Corporal.

Due to his efforts along with his fellow black soldiers, James Rhodes and Ororo Munroe, the American Civil War ended in merely two weeks. During this period, Scott has stated having killed about six hundreds Confederates soldiers.

What if Nate Turner was a mutant

Onemic

My bad about Flotbots, dunno why, but I thought they were Australian.

I'm not getting into a list war with someone who thinks the majority of British artists sound American.

So, let me get this straight. You're not going to argue anything, just nitpick me saying the majority, rather than a lot. Ok.

This is a big reason why shit never gets anywhere on gaf.(hell the internet in general) Shit like this. Fuck me even bringing this shit up if you're gonna go at me like some dude in OT. Fuck that. Im out.

Africanus

So now that black people officially have ninja powers (aggressive step, dehumanizing stare, super speed, super strength, ability to make weapons appear from thin air, forbidden techniques)...

...what rank does one have to be to obtain all of those.

Numb

So now that black people officially have ninja powers (aggressive step, dehumanizing stare, super speed, super strength, ability to make weapons appear from thin air, forbidden techniques)...

One thing you get as a passive ability is ninja stealth at night. Just gotta go commando.

dormthumb.php

Like I said, if it's only her rapping style, who really cares? Do we care that British artists for the most part sound like they came from the US when they sing? Do we care that The Who sound like they came from the South? Drake sounds like he came from outside Rosedale?(or wherever rich neighbourhood he grew up from) Noone has faulted flobots for not sounding Australian. If you fault Iggy for her rapping style you have to fault every non-black rapper in existence. The music industry in general is filled to the brim with people using it as a way to make money rather than the art form itself, so why is she singled out simply because of the accent? If it went beyond that to how she deals with people in interviews or what have you, then there would be some understanding, but from how I see it, it's just an excuse. To me if you wanna attack her, put her closer to someone like Lana del rey, a record company creation than someone that consciously is trying to belittle black culture by taking it and trying to say that its her own.
I don't necessarily think that the comparison between her rapping like she's from Atlanta and British singing is necessarily 1:1. Unless if its really pronounced a lot of singers lose their accents when singing in English. As for The Who comparison...I can honestly say that I've never actually listened to them but it is pretty common knowledge that a lot of British musicians post-WW2 to now are largely influenced by music by black artists, whether they be from African, American, or Caribbean. Genres like dubstep and drum and bass are built on this fact (cultural cross-pollination). Joss Stones, Adeles and Amy Winehouses pop up from time to time and no one bats an eyelid about it. They sound like their influences, which is pretty common with singing. Rapping doesn't necessarily work the same way. Rapping is still spoken word, accents just don't disappear as easily. When I listen to grime, the accent is out there in full force, same as when I listen to a M.I.A or Shing02 record. Even when you look at the genre as a whole, there are rarely any incidents where non-black rappers are regularly accused by many people of trying to "sound black". Action Bronson sounds like he's from Queens because he is, Yelawolf raps with a southern drawl because he's from Gadsden Alabama. Eminem sounds like he could be from anywhere in middle-America because he is. Beastie Boys, Aesop Rock, Slug, El-P yadda-yadda you see where I'm going with this (and Flobots are from Colorado, no?). Even more dubious cases like Bubba Sparxxx, and Paul Wall are rationalized due to the places they grew up in. With that in mind, its easy to see why a lot of people think of the way she raps is problematic. There are a lot of girls out there who's natural speaking voice would sound similar to the way she raps but she will never have to deal with the bullshit that they would have to. In a genre that prides itself on authenticity she ends up looking more like temporary curiosity like Snow where people's main draw to them is a white artist sounding like a black artist, and that can be an insanely profitable albeit temporarily (as seen with her career kinda taking a nosedive). That's not to say that musicians aren't allowed to take influences from other cultures, one of my favorite bands is Tune Yards and they take a clear Afrobeat influence but did their own thing with it by combining with indie pop/rock sensibilities (all without forcing a Nigerian accent!). There are a lot of female rappers that could do what Iggy does but will never get the chance due to not having the same marketability as being white, even if they were capable of making a carbon copy of the same tracks as hers. "Blackcents" aside, people think she's problematic for a handful of valid reasons. When you liken yourself to a Runaway Slave Master in a genre created by black people and call yourself the Queen of Hip-Hop off of the strength of a few hit singles, you're not gonna have too many people on your side. Its not even a thing about white females not being welcome in hip-hop either. No one batted an eyelid when Kreayshawn was just rapping about Gucci/Prada this (once again though, her clique had a related issue with the N-word), Ke$ha with whatever music I ignored completely or Kitty Pryde with her Tumblr raps.

As for Lana Del Rey, I don't want to think about her again after listening to High by the Beach...
EDIT: Damn that went long....I can't be assed to format it tho.

hypernima

Banned

there needs to be a "race the game" and this needs to be our skill tree.

and in snows case (but not defense?) he grew up around Jamaicans iirc. so it's just what turned out.

Numb

High by the beach was boring and it got Gears of War at the end for no reason. Like some of her stuff still. American Horror Story's Gods and monsters version was awesome.

RedSwirl

So you're saying there needs to be a comic about the mythical super-negro all these cops seem to be afraid of...

Kreed

I respect your perspective but I ultimately disagree. Divorcing hip-hop from the black American experience that birthed it is a mistake. Yes, hip-hop culture is it's own beast and can be examine seperately from other artifacts of black American culture but you'll be hard pressed to actual remove the black experience from it in attempt to understand it's significance and source. You can not talk Hip-hop culture and remove the black experience from it.

See, that's different because I don't disagree that the reverse is true. Hip hop is a product of black culture and influenced by it. But when people of other ethnic groups adopt hip hop, that isn't culture appropriation of black culture. It's when they wear du-rags/get braids/alter their physical appearances/adopt our slang/etc... with no knowledge of where it comes from that they are appropriating.

Trey

Grantland:

This is a moment because it is a culmination for Serena’s career, and this is a moment because it is a culmination for what Serena’s career represents. If she wins this tournament, the case that she is not the greatest player in the history of women’s tennis more or less evaporates, even for the few holdouts still clinging to it. Graf was amazing. Navratilova was incredible. But to many people it has been obvious for a long time now that Serena is an evolutionary advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom