• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Yea, I don't have high standards for a board that gets super confused over the smallest dialects we use.

And yea, I understand its still new for something that happens commonly. Some examples are cut and dry CA, though.

I'd rather have the discussion here than in the other thread so as to avoid dumbasses posting stupid shit(like the weed thing). So I'll just ask this here:

Can you give some examples of clear CA? I'm thinking in my head and I'd say Rachel Dolezal is a pretty clear one, or the early 50's and 60's when white people would take rock music from black musicians and put a little spin on it, then try and call it their own.(which I guess had a trickle down effect because a bunch of people think that only white people created rock music). Past those and few other clear ones, it begins to become a bit hazy to me.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but the Iggy Azaelia discussion last year(where I first heard the term CA) I dont think is CA at all.

Yea, I'm def down for a MGSV squad.

I'd rather have the discussion here than in the other thread so as to avoid dumbasses posting stupid shit(like the weed thing). So I'll just ask this here:

Can you give some examples of clear CA? I'm thinking in my head and I'd say Rachel Dolezal is a pretty clear one, or the early 50's and 60's when white people would take rock music from black musicians and put a little spin on it, then try and call it their own.(which I guess had a trickle down effect because a bunch of people think that only white people created rock music). Past those and few other clear ones, it begins to become a bit hazy to me.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but the Iggy Azaelia discussion last year(where I first heard the term CA) I dont think is CA at all.

My thoughts on CA are relative to yours. Scorned hairstyles from other ethnicities rocked by someone white and then praised are all examples. We're all aware of the twerking scene. What about black slang that people look down on but start to use later on?

lol its kind of a hard term to completely define

I'm curious, what your reasoning when it comes to Iggy?

andthebeatgoeson

Discussing race with white people suddenly makes sense after years of doing it. I mean as to why they don't get it. Because to them, it's a problem that can be solved through simple procedures or ignoring it and ''being the better person''. See, they don't understand the emotional, physical and mental toll that racism takes on the individual. Like that star wars thread for example, people are saying ''well just ignore it, it's a youtube comment'', but they don't get that a) someone sat there and put those words out thinking it's fine, and b) more importantly, if you're black, reading that comment once may be annoying, but reading it over and over on other sites, hearing it in public, being criticized by your manager for your natural hair, having inappropriate things said to you, feeling if that last moment was racially motivated, etc...always adds up.

Like the problem with this race discussion is that white people don't experience it the same way. We get it from everywhere, even from our own at times. It's not one thing that happens and we get angry or depressed, and instead of trying to understand that; whenever we talk about racism, the responses are always dismissive and snarky. And that's what I've learned, you can tell a white person all about racism, but they still won't get it. They'll say ''one time I got picked on by these black kids at my school too''. But then did you walk home and someone drive by and call you a nigger? Did you pass advertisements of beautiful white people? Did you get home and your parents remind you that you have to be better than your white peers, to get the same things? Did you go to play games and unwind, and people insulted you because you sound black? Did the girl you want to take to prom then text you and say her parents don't want you going with her? I swear to fucking God, talking about race with white people is a lesson in futility.
I've come to understand how constant the threat of racism is. Driving your car, walking down the road, at work or school. It's everywhere and you either are privileged to not see it or you are on the lookout. They don't have that problem of waiting for the nigger moment. To them, their friend just let the n word slip out. To us, it's confirmation of our worse fears. Then the moment perverts you and your interpretation. So, yeah, we see racism everywhere.

I don't go to a rape victim and ask her why she was triggered. Empathy kicks in and you realize it will take some help to fix it. It may never be fixed. Imagine a women being raped more than once. It might completely consume her life going forward. And no one would reasonably feel she is out of order. Yet, we allow racism to hide and pop out every now and again and question black people's response.

I feel like we need to keep expressing the constant nature of it. How we view Serena's picture of her in the back of the car. It's hard to trust anything when every element was set up to force me to fail. Not to long ago.

andthebeatgoeson

I see cultural appropriation as an eruption of the need to talk about the past. Yeah, every culture shares with each other. I like to ski. None of my forefather's did it. It's a small thing and something great about being human. You are never forced into a role; you have freedom and it's beautiful. But everytime we turn around, we can't have the conversation on our terms. We are always 'talking about it', can't let go, criticizing wrong, protesting wrong...

Just continued dismissive bullshit and it hampers the conversation. I wonder if they do that with their loved ones. Dismiss every perception and grievance. Just walk around and tell their girl to RELAX!

Numb

Threat is everywhere.
Just make sure not to look the cops in the eye..or look away either.
Don't have eyes. If you are blind you are safe.

dont tell me theres been a blind black guy being put through some shit?

Discussing race with white people suddenly makes sense after years of doing it. I mean as to why they don't get it. Because to them, it's a problem that can be solved through simple procedures or ignoring it and ''being the better person''. See, they don't understand the emotional, physical and mental toll that racism takes on the individual. Like that star wars thread for example, people are saying ''well just ignore it, it's a youtube comment'', but they don't get that a) someone sat there and put those words out thinking it's fine, and b) more importantly, if you're black, reading that comment once may be annoying, but reading it over and over on other sites, hearing it in public, being criticized by your manager for your natural hair, having inappropriate things said to you, feeling if that last moment was racially motivated, etc...always adds up.

Like the problem with this race discussion is that white people don't experience it the same way. We get it from everywhere, even from our own at times. It's not one thing that happens and we get angry or depressed, and instead of trying to understand that; whenever we talk about racism, the responses are always dismissive and snarky. And that's what I've learned, you can tell a white person all about racism, but they still won't get it. They'll say ''one time I got picked on by these black kids at my school too''. But then did you walk home and someone drive by and call you a nigger? Did you pass advertisements of beautiful white people? Did you get home and your parents remind you that you have to be better than your white peers, to get the same things? Did you go to play games and unwind, and people insulted you because you sound black? Did the girl you want to take to prom then text you and say her parents don't want you going with her? I swear to fucking God, talking about race with white people is a lesson in futility.

I think I feel the same as you man...it's just so fucking soul crushing sometimes

Mostly it's selfishness and lack of empathy.

Me, personally, i was lucky to grow with 4 black brothers (actual brothers, not slang) and seeing how society treated them was a kick up my ass to realize how things were different.

And this is in Portugal. I can't even imagine what black folks go through in America. It's not that we don't have racism, it's just a whole different kind of game, imo.

Numb

Mostly it's selfishness and lack of empathy.

Me, personally, i was lucky to grow with 4 black brothers (actual brothers, not slang) and seeing how society treated them was a kick up my ass to realize how things were different.

And this is in Portugal. I can't even imagine what black folks go through in America. It's not that we don't have racism, it's just a whole different kind of game, imo.

Alot seeing these daily headlines.
Never go there.

Onemic

I'm curious, what your reasoning when it comes to Iggy?

For Iggy, shes just a white female rapper. I dont know how any of the music shes made can be termed as cultural appropriation. It's not like she's the only white rapper in the game. It's not like her rapping has caused others to somehow think that rapping is a white thing. I can understand that, like Eminem, her whiteness allows her to gain an inflated following, but once again that doesnt conflict with CA because of the previous point. The only thing I gained from that thread last year is that she's a shitty rapper/artist and people are pissed that shes gaining recognition because she's not that good and shes white, but that wouldnt be classified as CA, or else every white rapper in existence would also have to be under that category. If it's how she raps, I once again dont see it, because it's not like she talks that way outside of her rapping style and if it were then rappers like Action Bronson would automatically have to be put under that banner as well, which is something I have yet to see.

If there are arguments that show how she is doing CA then I'd honestly like to hear them, but so far I just don't see it. It just seemed like people were salty. If anything the blame should be on record companies for bigging her up so hard compared to other artists rather than her. She's just doing her hustle and regardless of how shitty I think her music is, I can still respect that.

Numb

Sorry, i don't understand what you meant?

There are alot of headlines almost daily of what is going on with them and how they are being treated and them fighting fighting back with movements and whatnot.
Don't live there so i just see the bad news all the time.
The second part was a joke.

John Oliver using a southern black choir in his televangelist bit. It was really accurate and I don't have any issues with the message, but when someone white wants to have "church" they are always brought out to sing a song behind them.

John Oliver using a southern black choir in his televangelist bit. It was really accurate and I don't have any issues with the message, but when someone white wants to have "church" they are always brought out to sing a song behind them.
Jon did it multiple times, as well..don't have a problem with it, myself.
Wait is that dreamy drop? Lmao. I doubt it but the name threw me off.
No way lol..

For Iggy, shes just a white female rapper. I dont know how any of the music shes made can be termed as cultural appropriation. It's not like she's the only white rapper in the game. It's not like her rapping has caused others to somehow think that rapping is a white thing. I can understand that, like Eminem, her whiteness allows her to gain an inflated following, but once again that doesnt conflict with CA because of the previous point. The only thing I gained from that thread last year is that she's a shitty rapper/artist and people are pissed that shes gaining recognition because she's not that good and shes white, but that wouldnt be classified as CA, or else every white rapper in existence would also have to be under that category. If it's how she raps, I once again dont see it, because it's not like she talks that way outside of her rapping style and if it were then rappers like Action Bronson would automatically have to be put under that banner as well, which is something I have yet to see.

If there are arguments that show how she is doing CA then I'd honestly like to hear them, but so far I just don't see it. It just seemed like people were salty. If anything the blame should be on record companies for bigging her up so hard compared to other artists rather than her. She's just doing her hustle and regardless of how shitty I think her music is, I can still respect that.
She's a white Australian who raps like she came up in Atlanta all of her life. Her career as a rapper is a bit disingenuous too as she was pretty much just trying to get famous regardless of the vehicle. Rappers like Action Bronson (who had an issue earlier in his career with saying nigga but thats another topic entirely) and Yelawolf for that matter don't get that same scrutiny because of where they came up. AB is from Queens and Yelawolf grew up in the south around random projects.

Yeah I dont see that as CA. More stereotyping but mostly harmless.

Infinite

Iggy Azealia is like blatantly a manufactured pop star who's "hook" is being a white girl that knows a thing or to two about rapping. Her image is so not genuine to me and obviously developed by her marketing team. In regards to CA I think she would be an example of that as her persona doesn't pay any sort of homage to what hip-hop is and doesn't bare any significance outside of selling catchy pop records to the mainstream.

Edit: it's no different from a douche fashion designer lifting designs from indigenous cultures and misrepresenting the significance that design has to said culture which in turn erases their identity from it.

I'm watching Unpretty Rapstar and it's pleasing to see how at least some Black/Korean people are being accepted in S. Korea. This is a damn good show. I teared up when the one rapper did that tribute to her mom and like the biggest R&B singer in S. Korea's history (which also black/korean) just came out on stage and helped her out. You can't do that in USA. You can't just call up Beyonce and say, lets do a duet to help me win this competition. That's unfair. That rapper who did that however still lost. The crowd is harsh, but the talent is top notch

There are alot of headlines almost daily of what is going on with them and how they are being treated and them fighting fighting back with movements aswell.
Don't live there so i just see the bad news all the time.
The second part was a joke.

That's not what i meant, i know what's going on(well, as much as i can from here). I meant that i can't believe that people would do all of this crap to another human being.

Perhaps due to being ESL, i'm coming off as making light of the struggle that black people go through daily but i'm definitely not trying to say that. Sorry if it was understood that way.

Numb

That's not what i meant, i know what's going on(well, as much as i can from here). I meant that i can't believe that people would do all of this crap to another human being.

Perhaps due to being ESL, i'm coming off as making light of the struggle that black people go through daily but i'm definitely not trying to say that. Sorry if it was understood that way.

Hate is a strong thing.
No misuderstanding here.

BigDes

Iggy Azealia is like blatantly a manufactured pop star who's "hook" is being a white girl that knows a thing or to two about rapping. Her image is so not genuine to me and obviously developed by her marketing team. In regards to CA I think she would be an example of that as her persona doesn't pay any sort of homage to what hip-hop is and doesn't bare any significance outside of selling catchy pop records to the mainstream.

Edit: it's no different from a douche fashion designer lifting designs from indigenous cultures and misrepresenting the significance that design has to said culture which in turn erases their identity from it.

She has also been caught writing overtly racist tweets and her defense was basically I'm a rapper so I'm allowed to say this.

Kreed

The problem with the term Cultural Appropriation today, like most things, is that it gets misused a lot. The biggest problem is it gets used when someone of a different ethnic group adopts anything a black person created. For example, you'll have someone say Eminem is doing Cultural Appropriation and lump him together with Rachel Dolezal when not only does Eminem acknowledge where his hip hop influences come from but IMO hip hop culture =/= black culture.

Infinite

She has also been caught writing overtly racist tweets and her defense was basically I'm a rapper so I'm allowed to say this.
Yeah but I'm not criticizing iggy Azealia as an individual more so criticizing what's responsible for her. Her tweets on things just demonstrates how utterly detached she is to the genre and culture she seems to be apart of.

The problem with the term Cultural Appropriation today, like most things, is that it gets misused a lot. The biggest problem is it gets used when someone of a different ethnic group adopts anything a black person created. For example, you'll have someone say Eminem is doing Cultural Appropriation and lump him together with Rachel Dolezal when not only does Eminem acknowledge where his hip hop influences come from but IMO hip hop culture =/= black culture.

Disagree with your last sentence. Are samba and Brazillian culture mutually exclusive as well then?

BigDes

Yeah but I'm not criticizing iggy Azealia as an individual more so criticizing what's responsible for her. Her tweets on things just demonstrates how utterly detached she is to the genre and culture she seems to be apart of.

That's fair but I think pointing out her racist tweets is also evidence of her act/image/persona (?) is also evidence of Cultural Appropriation.

Numb

Fuck, I just heard the PC port for One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 is good too. September's gonna be a struggle month, money wise.

That is gonna be so tight but i don't know if should get it while im busy with other games.Can't wait to use that Zatoichi brother and finally Shanks.
The Dragon Quest musou looks real good too but don't think they'll release it for PC.

BigDes

You know all there needs to be is a random Bleach game released on Steam and the category of games about shit anime we all secretly love would be complete

We've got a

DBZ game
One Piece game
Two Naruto games

Bleach letting the side down

Numb

It ain't no secret. Last Bleach game that came out i think was that musou one and it sucked.
Better getting the DS and PSP fighters.

You know all there needs to be is a random Bleach game released on Steam and the category of games about shit anime we all secretly love would be complete

We've got a

DBZ game
One Piece game
Two Naruto games

Bleach letting the side down
Even though I gave up on Bleach years ago, I'd buy a CC2 or Koei made game of it.

Kreed

Disagree with your last sentence. Are samba and Brazillian culture mutually exclusive as well then?

Not the same thing, the biggest reason being hip hop is younger/newer and there are generations of black people that don't even listen to it. A better comparison would be "Soul Food".

Onemic

She's a white Australian who raps like she came up in Atlanta all of her life. Her career as a rapper is a bit disingenuous too as she was pretty much just trying to get famous regardless of the vehicle. Rappers like Action Bronson (who had an issue earlier in his career with saying nigga but thats another topic entirely) and Yelawolf for that matter don't get that same scrutiny because of where they came up. AB is from Queens and Yelawolf grew up in the south around random projects.

Like I said, if it's only her rapping style, who really cares? Do we care that British artists for the most part sound like they came from the US when they sing? Do we care that The Who sound like they came from the South? Drake sounds like he came from outside Rosedale?(or wherever rich neighbourhood he grew up from) Noone has faulted flobots for not sounding Australian. If you fault Iggy for her rapping style you have to fault every non-black rapper in existence. The music industry in general is filled to the brim with people using it as a way to make money rather than the art form itself, so why is she singled out simply because of the accent? If it went beyond that to how she deals with people in interviews or what have you, then there would be some understanding, but from how I see it, it's just an excuse. To me if you wanna attack her, put her closer to someone like Lana del rey, a record company creation than someone that consciously is trying to belittle black culture by taking it and trying to say that its her own.

Infinite

Not the same thing, the biggest reason being hip hop is younger/newer and there are generations of black people that don't even listen to it. A better comparison would be "Soul Food".
There's Brazillians that don't listen to or perform Samba does that then mean it's not apart of Brazillian culture?

Trey

one time through beauty behind the madness.

Jay-Z-so-so.gif

Miguel still got rnb cut of the year for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom