• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Mizerman

What kills me about Cosby is how black people cape for him. HE has done a lot of charity, but that said he spent the last 20 years telling black folks need to pull their pants up and we are own worse enemy.

But now Bill going to jail is about race.

But muh Cosby Show.

I've got grown ass people in my family damn near close to rocking free my nigga cosby shirts

Not surprised at that.

ReiGun

What kills me about Cosby is how black people cape for him. HE has done a lot of charity, but that said he spent the last 20 years telling black folks need to pull their pants up and we are own worse enemy.

His pound cake speech is crazy to listen to in how anti-black it is. Cosby has made it abundantly clear he doesn't like any of the very same negroes who are caping for his rapey ass. People have got to let this go.

andthebeatgoeson

I've got grown ass people in my family damn near close to rocking free my nigga cosby shirts

It's crazy. I never feel so far away from them than when old people talk about Bill Cosby. Some church loving folks that won't condemn him but claim the women are attacking him. I really want to just cut them off. But I just troll them.

His pound cake speech is crazy to listen to in how anti-black it is. Cosby has made it abundantly clear he doesn't like any of the very same negroes who are caping for his rapey ass. People have got to let this go.

It's crazy. I never feel so far away from them than when old people talk about Bill Cosby. Some church loving folks that won't condemn him but claim the women are attacking him. I really want to just cut them off. But I just troll them.

I know what y'all are talking about with Bill Cosby. His arrest came up on tv while we were out in a restaurant and both of my friends said they should leave him alone and the black one said there's just trying to put an iconic black man down. The white one said some dumb shit when I said "well if he did it then he has to pay the consequences" and he said not really.

I forgot about Bill actually admitting to drugging a woman a while back, I should've brought that up. I'm just glad the conversation ended quickly.

Crocodile

The movies were never as bad as people suggested. I'm not going to sit here and tell you they're really good, but they're not bad enough in their own right to deserve the amount of vitriol that they do. They're victims of two annoying aspects of nerdom: A) a two point scale the jumps from horse shit to GOAT and B) an inability to review something on its own merits, succumbing to judging it in association with something else (ie. Matrix 2 is worst than The Matrix, therefore it's shit).

And I know it's frowned upon to say, but nerdom unequivocally suffers from a hive minded mentality. This is why you see Avatar like shifts in media impressions.

If a product is related to another one of perceived higher quality (sequel/prequel, same universe, much of the same creative staff, etc.) it doesn't get to dissociate itself from previous product. That's not a nerd issue, that's a human issue.

Also I re-watched Ep 3 recently at a friend's house. It certainly didn't kill my dog so I'm not going to spend too much mental energy online about it. That doesn't mean the movie wasn't damn awful.The original trilogy wasn't some bastion of high cinema but the prequels were unequivocally worse both relatively and "on their own".

It's Final Fantasy syndrome: the one we like the least is the latest release.

Isn't that Zelda?

andthebeatgoeson

I mean, the black family has suffered the most from the policies of America. Not able to watch your kids? Yeah, that happens. We don't get the promotions or the jobs and have to hustle to get 2 or 3 jobs. I was a latch key kid because my mom was hustling hard. And from his view, she's a terrible mother.

It's the problem with celebrities giving advice. They enter the bubble and cannot fully empathize with what's going on. Now, we all can't. We have to force ourselves out of our comfort zone to see other's viewpoints. I can't tell if he's doing it for laughs or that's how he truly feels. I suspect it's both. The laughter is just his 'Yes' man. And he's shown he hates criticism or any bad news. He gets his lawyer involved and probably never lets any 'hate' enter his bubble.

I truly hate this man. Just listening to that makes it bubble up.

Isn't that Zelda?

Naw, Zelda is: we like the last one which we used to say was the worst. Niggas caping for Wind Waker. I'm like,
anigif_enhanced-7900-1442302485-2.gif

LionPride

Banned
Niggas caping for Cosby like they do R. Kelly, like they did OJ, like they will for any celeb who is arrested and is a large figure in any field no matter if it's comedy, mueic or sports

harSon

Banned
If a product is related to another one of perceived higher quality (sequel/prequel, same universe, much of the same creative staff, etc.) it doesn't get to dissociate itself from previous product. That's not a nerd issue, that's a human issue.

Also I re-watched Ep 3 recently at a friend's house. It certainly didn't kill my dog so I'm not going to spend too much mental energy online about it. That doesn't mean the movie wasn't damn awful.The original trilogy wasn't some bastion of high cinema but the prequels were unequivocally worse both relatively and "on their own".

Revenge of the Sith is awful now? Aight.

ReiGun

I know what y'all are talking about with Bill Cosby. His arrest came up on tv while we were out in a restaurant and both of my friends said they should leave him alone and the black one said there's just trying to put an iconic black man down. The white one said some dumb shit when I said "well if he did it then he has to pay the consequences" and he said not really.

I forgot about Bill actually admitting to drugging a woman a while back, I should've brought that up. I'm just glad the conversation ended quickly.

The most laughable thing people are saying is that Cosby was going to takeover NBC. Like the nigga has that kind of money.

Damn shame people are more willing to believe Youtube conspiracy theories than the testimonies of over 50 women.

akira28

Oh sure, Disney is going to put that hoe out on the street and tell her to get that money.* I'm just side eying the term "white slavers". Which is the term you use when the slaves are white. Because POC slaves are the default when you use the term "slavery". I'm just saying that the guy has to talk to his current wife about stuff like that.

hahah I was imaginging that the slavers were white, not that he was referring to "white slavery" which is always a funny old saw. The mystical place where white daughters disappear forever.

Trey

I would just start with the Nu52

I never know how to answer this because Wonder Woman is a very creator driven character. Everyone gives their own flavor - even moreso than other charcters - so you might like one take and dislike another and such. But anyway, I usually recommend reading the first bit of one of these creators' runs then going from there if you like it:

George Perez - 1980's Post Crisis reboot. Set up most of the modern Wonder Woman stuff. Still holds up and is my personal favorite run.
Greg Rucka - Last run before the reset following Infinite Crisis. Generally regarded as the best among fans.
Gail Simone - Last major run before the New 52 (unless you count JMS). Pretty fun and it starts with one of my favorite WW stories.
Brian Azzarello - New 52 run. Your mileage will vary based on how attached you are to classic WW (though I imagine that's not a problem for you) and how willing you are to tough out a three year long story. Personally, I'm not as in love with it as most people, but I did enjoy it.

You could also check out my favorite stand alone stories, "The Hiketeia" and "A League of One."

New 52 was great, dropped it after the creator shift. Gail Simone's run is good too.

Thanks, folks. I saw the Wonder Woman animated feature for the second time last week and it made me want to get into the character proper. To help narrow my search down more, which run is closest to how her character is portrayed in the DCAU?

andthebeatgoeson

Carnival Cruise lines got dudes 'disappearing' in the elevators. Then the blood started flowing. Yeesh. Dude must have gotten crushed inside.

Cruises seem like a great idea. But you end up as a number and they just try and stuff you with food and alcohol until you submit. And they don't have a lot of liability. The video said they reached out to Miami Dade police and it sounds like they probably can't even touch it. They don't follow regular laws. It's maritime laws. Their sole purpose is to keep that boat afloat, full and moving. Just avoid that story or any pictures or videos of it.

And stay away from cruises.

ReiGun

Thanks, folks. I saw the Wonder Woman animated feature for the second time last week and it made me want to get into the character proper. To help narrow my search down more, which run is closest to how her character is portrayed in the DCAU?

Hmm....I'd say Rucka, if only because it was written around that time.

Crocodile

Revenge of the Sith is awful now? Aight.

I rewatched it like a month ago? I mean I'm not trying to give you shit if you really liked (or just ok liked it) it but I just didn't think it was a good movie. Like I've seen plenty worse but that wasn't good. I mean don't know what you want me to tell you man. Sorry?

andthebeatgoeson

And I cape for Wind Waker, like when it came out. I just get annoyed with the online community. I generally think most main line Zelda games are varying degrees from good to great. But it's hard to connect with people who think it's trash or want another game. And Zelda opinions seem overexaggerated and I have a hard time listening or giving them credibility.

I'm okay with criticism but it gets pushed over into another dimension. I don't even feel like some Zelda fans are from the same planet.

Carnival Cruise lines got dudes 'disappearing' in the elevators. Then the blood started flowing. Yeesh. Dude must have gotten crushed inside.

Cruises seem like a great idea. But you end up as a number and they just try and stuff you with food and alcohol until you submit. And they don't have a lot of liability. The video said they reached out to Miami Dade police and it sounds like they probably can't even touch it. They don't follow regular laws. It's maritime laws. Their sole purpose is to keep that boat afloat, full and moving. Just avoid that story or any pictures or videos of it.

And stay away from cruises.

I'm tryna hop on a Tom Joyner cruise tho

Slayven

And I cape for Wind Waker, like when it came out. I just get annoyed with the online community. I generally think most main line Zelda games are varying degrees from good to great. But it's hard to connect with people who think it's trash or want another game. And Zelda opinions seem overexaggerated and I have a hard time listening or giving them credibility.

I'm okay with criticism but it gets pushed over into another dimension. I don't even feel like some Zelda fans are from the same planet.

i only hear fuck up shit about cruises

Shy

Merry New Year BCT.

Spending this past year with you mans in here, and being welcomed and accepted by everyone (i hope) has been one of the few good things that happened to me. Thank you.

JCOY4OW.gif

Happy New Years BCT!!

Hope ya'll do good and stay unbanned as long as possible!!!!!
You too Magus.

RedSwirl

I never cared about Zelda games getting stale honestly. They keep offering what I want in from the series in fresh ways and I'm fine with that. I don't think you can talk about that and then buy Call of Duty every year.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gh3_e3mDQ8"His pound cake speech is crazy to listen to in how anti-black it is.[/URL Cosby has made it abundantly clear he doesn't like any of the very same negroes who are caping for his rapey ass. People have got to let this go.

He was that way because it was harder to drug black women with their lightning fast reflexes

Sou Da

Just ran into that efuckt Yusaf Mack video.

Why even try to lie? Or better yet even try to lie with a "I was drugged and knocked out" lie with the type of stuff he was doing?

people cape for guilty Black celebrities because they see how bullshit the media treatment is in comparison to guilty White celebrities.

or at least that's whats i tell myself. no way they can think he's not guilty.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Niggas caping for Cosby like they do R. Kelly, like they did OJ, like they will for any celeb who is arrested and is a large figure in any field no matter if it's comedy, mueic or sports

With the way blacks have been destroyed countlessly it's easy to see why some turn a blind eye to many of the monsters in our community. It's not right but on some level I understand.

akira28

people cape for guilty Black celebrities because they see how bullshit the media treatment is in comparison to guilty White celebrities.

or at least that's whats i tell myself. no way they can think he's not guilty.

there is a lot of bullshit surrounding the latest events. So much so that even NPR was reporting on it. Just found out on the drive home that the prosecutor and assistant prosecutor were both using the case in their political campaigns. The first one said originally that the case wasn't strong enough, so this election cycle the assistant makes a move and uses the Cosby case to defeat the former head prosecutor. Now he's just recently placed in charge and the first thing he does is perpwalk cosby during the Christmas news lull.

jmood88

I can't stand that shit. That nigga wouldn't throw water on them if they were on fire but they run to his aid in a heartbeat because he made a show they watched. Black people gotta stop blindly defending black celebrities.

Malyse

Cosby *did* kickstart the careers of numerous black actors. Not that that remotely justifies his awful actions, but I see where they are coming from. And the media has destroyed black icons before.

Top Bottom