• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I don't know if this isn't the best place on GAF to discuss this, maybe there's another affordability thread going on in OT I don't know about, but what do y'all think of today's typical "millennial" expenses versus what people paid for yesterday? Cell phone bills, internet bills, newest smartphones, etc.

Every time we get discussions about how affordability is down for most people in the US compared to 40 years ago someone brings up added expenses like smartphones and shit and how kids don't really need them. Has anyone actually done the science and gotten hard numbers on how much millennials spend outside of food/housing compared to their parents in the 60's and 70's?

At face value it's probably easy for a lot of people to question how necessary these new gadgets actually are, though a lot of that complaining is obviously blanket statements being thrown around. Looking a little deeper though, I think you at least have to admit there are levels to what's necessary and what isn't for some people in 2016.

Anecdotal example: one part-time job I had a few years ago would have been almost impossible, or at least a lot more difficult, without a smartphone and unlimited mobile data. I had to drive a lot -- mostly to places I didn't know, and smartphone GPS was a huge help. At the very least it made my work significantly more efficient. My new laptop (a bit expensive I admit) should give me more flexibility in where I can do my current job.

And I think we're past the point of internet being a luxury. Basically every job I've had so far as been on the internet. It just depends on what speed you get for whatever you need. I know there are still a lot of old-fashioned people out there who do nothing more than check e-mail, and for them 5mb/s or whatever is probably good. For just that and simple web browsing 20 is probably good. You probably only really need 100 or something if you're making big downloads and streaming Netflix every day. At that point you have to examine the possibility you might be saving money by paying for fast internet and Netflix but giving up cable in exchange.

financially this generation is getting fucked with our eyes and anyone who says that different has no idea what they're talking about.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't know if this isn't the best place on GAF to discuss this, maybe there's another affordability thread going on in OT I don't know about, but what do y'all think of today's typical "millennial" expenses versus what people paid for yesterday? Cell phone bills, internet bills, newest smartphones, etc.

Every time we get discussions about how affordability is down for most people in the US compared to 40 years ago someone brings up added expenses like smartphones and shit and how kids don't really need them. Has anyone actually done the science and gotten hard numbers on how much millennials spend outside of food/housing compared to their parents in the 60's and 70's?

At face value it's probably easy for a lot of people to question how necessary these new gadgets actually are, though a lot of that complaining is obviously blanket statements being thrown around. Looking a little deeper though, I think you at least have to admit there are levels to what's necessary and what isn't for some people in 2016.

Anecdotal example: one part-time job I had a few years ago would have been almost impossible, or at least a lot more difficult, without a smartphone and unlimited mobile data. I had to drive a lot -- mostly to places I didn't know, and smartphone GPS was a huge help. At the very least it made my work significantly more efficient. My new laptop (a bit expensive I admit) should give me more flexibility in where I can do my current job.

And I think we're past the point of internet being a luxury. Basically every job I've had so far as been on the internet. It just depends on what speed you get for whatever you need. I know there are still a lot of old-fashioned people out there who do nothing more than check e-mail, and for them 5mb/s or whatever is probably good. For just that and simple web browsing 20 is probably good. You probably only really need 100 or something if you're making big downloads and streaming Netflix every day. At that point you have to examine the possibility you might be saving money by paying for fast internet and Netflix but giving up cable in exchange.

Biggest thing is that the increase in real estate has translated to much more in "required" expenses as a percentage of real income (which has also not risen w/r/t productivity) IIRC. Think there was a 538 study that talked about this; can't find it though. Even assuming you don't "need" cell phones / internet (could use free wifi theoretically) - the increase in housing prices has translated to massive increases in living expenses. Add in that the economy has adjusted to an assumed two-income household (daycare, etc etc) - so the previous generation had major benefits that we will never see.

Jacir

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=364008041&betaPreview=redesign

Just have to hit them with the facts. All signs of worsening crime seem to focus on one aspect.

This is former Chief Ramsey, from Philly. Really liked that dude.

I worry you have people selectively looking at data. The people talking about the Ferguson effect want to control the story. If murders are going slightly up, then other violent crime are really going down. And who's getting killed? People in poor neighborhoods. They are using our people's deaths to try and roll back progress on police reform. They really ain't a shit.

Yea, Mac Donald just seemed to almost change the main topic from the Ferguson effect and police culpability to black on black crime with her comment on drive-by shooting. She also said that she doesn't agree there is systematic injustice toward people of color. Like you mentioned, she is part of a group of wonks who have no problem stifling progress in police reform and most likely every interwoven issue that is related.

Cheif Ramsey is a good guy it seems. Well, atleast from that statement alone which I appreciate greatly because its the necessary and should be the only approach.

Dereck

These Spice Packed Wings brehs, these SPICE PACKED WINGS brehs

ILC303-1.gif

Trey

This (black) twitter debate/war centering around Future child support payments to Ciara, and child support in general is a fun read.

Folks are going in.

It's kinda insane we can be way into the double digits of dead black bodies at the hands of police and this can STILL be someone's go to.

EDIT: And of course it's deleted because people that don't know shit always gotta be the first to start shit.

We are in the triple digits now probably if you count ones who don't get as much coverage like the black guy with mental issues who was killed after his mom called police to take him to get calmed down (I think he needed meds).

Not even surprised that the comment is on the Gaming side. So many dumb fuckboys on there, its disgusting.

Slayven

Oscar Issac is the only touch of brown in that whole slate. Still got no idea why they killed Darwin in First Class. Heck I'm not even sure if they're bringing Zoe Kravitz back for Apocalypse.

I don't get how they killed him

Dude's power is literally to survive anything

That is it, it wouldn't be so bad if it had been Maggot or Frenzy, but fucking Darwin?

It would be like killing Human Torch by starting an electrical fire in his house

Malyse

That is it, it wouldn't be so bad if it had been Maggot or Frenzy, but fucking Darwin?

It would be like killing Human Torch by starting an electrical fire in his house
I was so fucking hot about that. Still am, TBH.

Mizerman

To this day, I'm still pissed off at that.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Oscar Issac is the only touch of brown in that whole slate. Still got no idea why they killed Darwin in First Class. Heck I'm not even sure if they're bringing Zoe Kravitz back for Apocalypse.

shes dead too. Alond with banshee and azazel

ApharmdX

Banned
This (black) twitter debate/war centering around Future child support payments to Ciara, and child support in general is a fun read.

Folks are going in.

Yeah, man, I saw that. And while I don't know them personally, of course, if Ciara really does make Future go through a lawyer every time he wants to spend time with his son, that's damaging. That should not be happening. Just because one parent does something nasty in their relationship with the other, parents have to work together to raise kids, and should never hold them hostage. Certainly not for money, which is just sick.

Furyous

Folks are going in.

They trying to Nas FutureHendrix? Nas wound up paying 55K a month in child support to Kelis for a period of time and people were not happy.

Top Bottom