• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Malyse

I look forward for politicians and pundits who call BLM a hate group/terrorists explaining how Oregon is different.

Village

Oh is he talking about this girl?
Elma-Xenoblade-X.png

I didn't know she was black, just another one of those ambiguously brown girls that I see in anime all the time.

Rule

if character is dark with white hair assume black untill/shown told other wise.

you are usually right.

Malyse

Black Person: "Oh hey cool, a black person is in this game. It's cool to see someone like me"

Forum Poster: "Well, actually, they aren't from Earth and they have blue eyes and red hair and don't conform to what I think a black stereotype should be, so unless it's overt stop trying to see yourself represented in my games."

Black Person: "What? Black people can absolutely have blue eyes and red hair! Sure, it's not super common but it's not impossible. I just said it was cool seeing someone like me."

Forum Poster: "Unless they are explicit about it, then they aren't really black. I mean, they don't even use slang. They aren't really like you at all."

Imm0rt4l

What Rodriguez has distinctly black features, unlike this girl.

Damn that's lark voohries. I ignored it at first thinking it was just random light skin girl, but damn, what happened to her? I can understand part, though I think someone with common sense knows it's referring to of African descent, but the not black part is dumb. Tell that to cops who just see you as another nigger.
She's bipolar possibly schizophrenia, possibly untreated and a plethora of other mental health issues. She also has lupus. Sad, really.

Watched Kingsman yesterday and I'm wondering: is Samuel L. Jackson the only black character actor?

First, let's talk about how Samuel L. Jackson is a character actor when he plays Samuel L. Jackson in every role now. You bring him on for pretty specific reasons. But that's just my quibble with the term.

Second, no.

Yvette Nicole Brown, Lance Reddick, Wendell Pierce, Joe Morton, Glynn Turman, Ernie Hudson, Viola Davis, Regina King, Idris Elba.

Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle, Jamie Foxx, Bokeem Woodbine, David Oyelowo, Anthony Mackie, Michael B. Jordan...

FORREST WHITAKER. Also Andre Braugher.

Oregon fan, stay safe. Terries taking over buildings out there

Draxx them Sklounst.

Kreed

Black Person: "Oh hey cool, a black person is in this game. It's cool to see someone like me"

Forum Poster: "Well, actually, they aren't from Earth and they have blue eyes and red hair and don't conform to what I think a black stereotype should be, so unless it's overt stop trying to see yourself represented in my games."

Black Person: "What? Black people can absolutely have blue eyes and red hair! Sure, it's not super common but it's not impossible. I just said it was cool seeing someone like me."

Forum Poster: "Unless they are explicit about it, then they aren't really black. I mean, they don't even use slang. They aren't really like you at all."

You don't even have to go that far. It's anime, where Japanese people can be born with green/blue hair and it's perfectly acceptable.

Which is another thing, most anime characters are Japanese people, but because western countries tend to see these characters as white people by default, no one does this "where's waldo" stuff in regards to finding white people in these shows. I mean think about it, some of those games in that thread have more black people than white people.

Imm0rt4l

People love to undermine blackness at any given opportunity. It's easy with anime when nothings explicitly stated.

"Actually Barrack Obama is biracial"

Malyse

You don't even have to go that far. It's anime, where Japanese people can be born with green/blue hair and it's perfectly acceptable.

Which is another thing, most anime characters are Japanese people, but because western countries tend to see these characters as white people by default, no one does this "where's waldo" stuff in regards to finding white people in these shows. I mean think about it, some of those games in that thread have more black people than white people.

People love to undermine blackness at any given opportunity. It's easy with anime when nothings explicit stated.

Almost posted it in the thread. Almost. But I'd be pretty goddamn salty if I got got for that with some of the comments in that thread.

----

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/147540/super-smash-bros-melee-battle-cards

What.

RedSwirl

So is that dude in Slam Dunk a "halfu" or something? Is that the general assumption when you see Japanese people who look stereotypically black (but aren't ganguro) in anime and manga?

Kreed

So is that dude in Slam Dunk a "halfu" or something? Is that the general assumption when you see Japanese people who look stereotypically black (but aren't ganguro) in anime and manga?

Oh yeah Dali's post. He was right about that character being Japanese, although I only read the manga and he never was presented with a darker skin tone in there (although I do remember thinking he could be black due to his high top fade before it was revealed the Japanese school girl the main character was attracted to was his sister). There's some flashback chapters where he has traditional Japanese hair and looks more "typical" also. The issue, like someone else pointed out in the thread, is that the manga author traced/referenced actual NBA basketball cards and/or magazine poses for the characters. So this character (who is nicked named Gori for Gorilla), is actually said to be a reference to Patrick Ewing.

I can't actually think of many mixed characters in manga and anime unless the setting is in Japan and involving high schoolers (usually the black character will have a military dad or something of the sort).

Bowlie

Banned
I can't actually think of many mixed characters in manga and anime unless the setting is in Japan and involving high schoolers (usually the black character will have a military dad or something of the sort).

Alex in Gangsta

Tomomi in REAL

Tooru in Tokyo Ghoul (a transgender man, even rarer)

Avdol in JoJo

that's from the top of my head :p

Tooru in Tokyo Ghoul (a transgender man, even rarer)

Been meaning to check out TG since I learned he's trans, but I never did. Now I really need to because he's black smh

And ya'll are right about people loving to undermine black characters in anything. Meanwhile, someone is pale, blonde, and has blue eyes and no one questions their whiteness.

smh now i'm thinking about how everyone hates black people in fantasy settings, as if dragons and magic are more realistic than having one black person in a european setting.

Remember when the Order was about to come out and people were like "yes, these handheld Tesla cannons and werewolves are all right, but negroes in Victorian England? Ludicrous!"

Remember when the Order was about to come out and people were like "yes, these handheld Tesla cannons and werewolves are all right, but negroes in Victorian England? Ludicrous!"

We're only a few weeks away from the anniversary of that thread! This year's third annual one should be a treat given how many people of color are starting to make their way into games, like with Indivisible.

Malyse

Oh!

I'll make three threads for BHM this year then: the 2016 BHM OT, a Black Characters in Gaming Appreciation for Gaming side and a Black Characters in Fiction Appreciation for OT.

Malyse

what about the History of the Black Friend thread?
You can make that one.
I still feel like the Mafia 3 thread is one of the great examples. Nothing like repeating the old GTA:SA thread in 2015.
Jesus. I read the whole thing. "I hope Black Pete stays because of salty people like you"

I'm sorry, how are you not a racist again?
This was fucking crazy how history straight up repeated itself.
I want a female lead GTA so badly. There would be such a meltdown.

Actually, I'm not sure if I want a female lead GTA reveal trailer or a Bait and Switch a la MGS2.

Jacir

People love to undermine blackness at any given opportunity. It's easy with anime when nothings explicitly stated.

America ain't ready for a real
(non-biracial or an all-black)
president
whew.png

-------

I don't like this white lady from the Manhattan Institute. Heather Mac Donald is her name and this video got me some kind of way. Also, I do recognize its an opinion piece.
http://www.wsj.com/video/opinion-jo...eal/FEF7DA83-A8CB-41C0-B291-3522E2E71B57.html

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Woke up this morning turned on CBS This Morning, saw news on the standoff in Oregon.

Then near the end of the piece there was a sign that read: "BLM, another intrusive tyrannical government entity doing what they do best abusing power and oppressing the backbone of Amercia."

What the heck!!! What does that even mean??!!! That doesn't make sense, Black Lives Matter is a covert government organization set out to undermine another government organization (the police)??!! Are they talking about some other BLM I don't know about?

Shit is getting real in the Pacific Northwest.

jmood88

Woke up this morning turned on CBS This Morning, saw news on the standoff in Oregon.

Then near the end of the piece there was a sign that read: "BLM, another intrusive tyrannical government entity doing what they do best abusing power and oppressing the backbone of Amercia."

What the heck!!! What does that even mean??!!! That doesn't make sense, Black Lives Matter is a covert government organization set out to undermine another government organization (the police)??!! Are they talking about some other BLM I don't know about?

It's the Bureau of Land Management, not Black Lives Matter.

I think it's bureau of land management

Kreed

With those protesters carrying "Don't tread on me" signs and one of the guys they want free being a known racist, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they feel about BlackLivesMatter too.

Numb

Demo seemed real janky with bad framerate. Thought next gen would add more to it's already good celshaded looks but it got less.
Waiting for impressions to see if it ain't that bad

Numb

Hoping lightnining village crew is there in full force or too busy having 6 versoins of Naruto and Sasuke.
Think they had the assist slots last time or another. Kids will be there but probably the 3 main. Choji and black girl's little fat daughter won't be there mostly even if she was the best

andthebeatgoeson

-------

I don't like this white lady from the Manhattan Institute. Heather Mac Donald is her name and this video got me some kind of way. Also, I do recognize its an opinion piece.
http://www.wsj.com/video/opinion-jo...eal/FEF7DA83-A8CB-41C0-B291-3522E2E71B57.html

http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=364008041&betaPreview=redesign

Just have to hit them with the facts. All signs of worsening crime seem to focus on one aspect.

Those are the takeaways from crime data for 2015: After two years of historically low homicide numbers, Philadelphia - like many other U.S. cities - saw its murder rate climb. There were 277 murders here last year, a 12 percent increase from 2014.

But the retiring commissioner pointed out a positive: 2015 was the third year in a row that murders in the city have stayed below 300. It's the first such three-year stretch since 1969, he said.
This is former Chief Ramsey, from Philly. Really liked that dude.
New department policies put in place in 2014 limited how long detectives can hold suspects and required investigators to tell witnesses, victims, and suspects that they are allowed to leave interviews at any time. But Ramsey said he didn't think the new rules had contributed to the drop in the clearance rate.

Still, he said, "we have to make sure that we're protecting the rights of individuals, and that's more important than a clearance rate. I'd rather have a low clearance rate than know that we have abused anyone's rights."

Overall, what the FBI calls Part One crimes - which encompass violent crimes and serious property crimes - decreased by about 5 percent last year, according to statistics released by the department through Dec. 27.

And some crime categories saw significant decreases in 2015 - residential burglaries decreased by 16 percent, and commercial burglaries were down 22 percent. Robberies also decreased slightly.

I worry you have people selectively looking at data. The people talking about the Ferguson effect want to control the story. If murders are going slightly up, then other violent crime are really going down. And who's getting killed? People in poor neighborhoods. They are using our people's deaths to try and roll back progress on police reform. They really ain't a shit.

Slayven

Hoping lightnining village crew is there in full force or too busy having 6 versoins of Naruto and Sasuke.
Think they had the assist slots last time or another. Kids will be there but probably the 3 main. Choji and black girl's little fat daughter won't be there mostly even if she was the best

Only dude to hold his own against 2 superior foes

Top Bottom