• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
People defending Cosby is not a good look. A lot of my friends and family think there's a big conspiracy.

I don't know what is crazier, the people who think there is a conspiracy to take down Bill Cosby or the people who think Stevie Wonder isn't blind.

Crocodile

Bringing back the subject of anime features and Black people, I thought it was interesting (weird) that S.A.M. from LeSean Thomas' Cannonbusters looks like this:

Screen-Shot-2015-10-29-at-11.12.23-PM-700x394.png

Blah blah
not human
, but I thought it was kind of funny even a Black creator well in tune with Black issues couldn't help but fall into those same "wacky hair/eye/etc.colors" tropes Japanese creators fall into :p

People defending Cosby is not a good look. A lot of my friends and family think there's a big conspiracy.

Is this something more common among Black families that have been in this country for generations? Everyone in my family who is my parent's generation or older are all immigrants and I've not heard a single supportive word for Cosby. Or am I looking for a correlation where there isn't one?

TheFlow

Banned
I believe he raped some of the women but I don't believe the amount that is coming out.

I also don't believe that they waited all this time to come out against the man when he is almost 80. They ain't going to him in prison lol

Merc_

a conspiracy to take down an 89 year irrelevant man that will shit on black people at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, that's part of what gets me. If it was a conspiracy, why would they wait until he was well past his prime to bring him down? He was more effectively used by racist white folks as a way to condescend to black folks until the rape stuff started up. I just can't see them willingly releasing one of their strongest Pokemon like that. They can't send out the ghost of MLK for everything.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
got back into Steven Universe, just got to the episode with the mirror

uhhhh

is shit getting real? because it's starting to feel like shit might get real

Numb

Bringing back the subject of anime features and Black people, I thought it was interesting (weird) that S.A.M. from LeSean Thomas' Cannonbusters looks like this:

Blah blah
not human
, but I thought it was kind of funny even a Black creator well in tune with Black issues couldn't help but fall into those same "wacky hair/eye/etc.colors" tropes Japanese creators fall into :p
No one can escape falling into it

That teacher got it

Htown

so it's starting to feel like there's a deeper mythology they're starting to tease out with what's going on with the gems and... other planets I guess?

RedSwirl

Is the gameplay of Assassin's Creed generally still the same? It seems like Ubisoft gets away with making more games when they change the setting or time period. That seems like enough for many people to buy/play the new games.

That's been my biggest problem. The base gameplay systems of Creed just aren't that interesting to me, and the controls honestly feel kind of boring to me. I feel like the whole game needs to start over from nothing to be really appealing to me.

Mario platformers managed to maintain nice, snappy controls and good level design. We also haven't had like nine Mario platformers in eight years.

Sou Da

Blah blah
not human

Is this something more common among Black families that have been in this country for generations? Everyone in my family who is my parent's generation or older are all immigrants and I've not heard a single supportive word for Cosby. Or am I looking for a correlation where there isn't one?

To be fair the lips alone make her instantly look like a black girl with dyed hair to me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAFJuzoK4dd/

Oh. Ok. But someone else can made that thread.

My son.

got back into Steven Universe, just got to the episode with the mirror

uhhhh

is shit getting real? because it's starting to feel like shit might get real

I truly spoiled myself by letting my first watch of SU be catching the conclusion of that whole story thread randomly on Cartoon Network. There's alot of cartoons recently that have seemed to have a "shit is getting real" moment in them.

Always nice to see down teachers for the next generation.

Are you talking about this guy?

He was pretty annoying to listen to and seemed to hate on everything.

I watch a lot of Red Letter Media's output and though they've ragged on a few things Landis has had his hand in, he's actually appeared on some of their recent stuff and is really jovial with them so I don't really know what to think of the guy at this point. Sometimes he seems annoying and sometimes he seems self aware and honestly just interested in making fun stuff (at least fun from his perspective).

Htown

I truly spoiled myself by letting my first watch of SU be catching the conclusion of that whole story thread randomly on Cartoon Network. There's alot of cartoons recently that have seemed to have a "shit is getting real" moment in them.

I'm kind of getting the feeling they really wanted to make like an action or adventure or superhero show, but couldn't actually sell it to the network. So they made it a "comedy" show and started slipping in the rest of the story stuff slowly.

I'm kind of getting the feeling they really wanted to make like an action or adventure or superhero show, but couldn't actually sell it to the network. So they made it a "comedy" show and started slipping in the rest of the story stuff slowly.

I wouldn't be surprised. They slip in a lot of progressive and mature themes that might be more overt if they weren't beholden to network requirements. Thankfully, the comedic portions are done just as well as every other goal of the show. Honestly, if they did have to cute it up to satisfy the network, it might be all for the best since it's definitely spread to a large audience.

Couldn't get into SU, they try to force "moments" to hard instead of letting them happen organically.

They've basically got around 10 minutes of run time per ep to work with. If they had 20 or 30 minutes to work with, I truly think they could iron out those kinks. Now they basically can't really let moments build or breathe a lot unless it's spread over several episodes.

TheFlow

Banned
That is how most of the good ones start

Mizerman

A clever way to appease the higher ups while still getting what you want in the end.

A win-win, I'd say.

Sugar says that CN will basically let them pull any punches they want just as long as it actually has some relevance to the overall narrative or plot progression, so yeah, basically.

The lore also has a lot of nice little touches to other sci-fi, too - a throwaway line in S2 suggests the Gem homeworld never invented the wheel, just like in the original War of the Worlds.

Furyous

What I don't get is how people get so visibly angry at Jaden for doin some stuff like this

I think he's working his shit real well

Let's just say I GET THE ANGER.

K, I'm calmed down now but yeah Lord Jamar about to take a flamethrower to this event on an interview in the future. Jaden is on his Scientologist shit right now throwing caution to the wind.

Crocodile

I like SU but I'd like it a whole lot more if it was more like "Jailbreak" more often.

Praise the lord Samurai Jack is coming back <3

I wouldn't be surprised. They slip in a lot of progressive and mature themes that might be more overt if they weren't beholden to network requirements. Thankfully, the comedic portions are done just as well as every other goal of the show. Honestly, if they did have to cute it up to satisfy the network, it might be all for the best since it's definitely spread to a large audience.

Tbh Cartoon Network is the only network that would let the shit it, Regular Show, and Adventure Time does on a regular subtle or not slide.

Oh, there's a conspiracy alright. And here it is:

A RICH MAN GOT AWAY WITH RAPING/SEXUALLY ASSAULTING OVER 50 WOMEN AND WAS ABLE TO NOT GET CAUGHT AND/OR PUNISHED.

You're welcome.

TheFlow

Banned
Oh, there's a conspiracy alright. And here it is:

A RICH MAN GOT AWAY WITH RAPING/SEXUALLY ASSAULTING OVER 50 WOMEN AND WAS ABLE TO NOT GET CAUGHT AND/OR PUNISHED.

You're welcome.
How do you know it was 50? We don't know all the facts son. He is going to get off

Furyous

How do you know it was 50? We don't know all the facts son. He is going to get off

ALL RIGHT! *Joe Budden voice* Y'all see that? That's the n####ardly levels rising like the water as Hurricane Sandy hit. Let me grab a scuba suit and tank so I can swim through the fuckery.

Hero worship has never been in my DNA. Like, I wouldn't be on my own father's side if 50 women accused him of sexual assault let alone someone who I've never met who just played a father on TV.

Just watched a Vox video on the YallQaeda good ol' boys and they spliced in a clip of that old Bundy dude I'd never seen before where he was basically espousing how much better off black lives were when they were slaves. Fucking wacky how that guy and his offspring have such a huge following without being curtailed. The FBI watches these assholes right? I mean after the Bundy ranch standoff and this Oregon shit, I don't see how you couldn't just label the Bundy clan terrorists and basically make sure these dudes don't stir any more pots after this.

Top Bottom