• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

VR is going to underperform more than I already expected. Ain't no way in hell I'm paying $599.99 + shipping and taxes. Which is a damn shame cause I'm sold on the technology after purchasing the DK2.

Yeah I'll stick with Google Cardboard for now. Only way I'm grabbing anything else is if I win 'em in a raffle or something

Slayven

Still have no problem with Jaden Smith

Dude just grew up privileged and free from shit

Let him cook, he ain't hurting anybody

Numb

Not expecting much from VR
Too new a tech and creates unfamiliarity
When impressions are out it should be interesting

jmood88

I don't have strong feelings on VR one way or the other but it seems extremely risky, to say the least, to make an expensive product that people can only "get" if they try first-hand. A lot of the hardcore evangelists love telling skeptics that if they try it they'll understand but that's not a good strategy if you want something to move beyond niche status.

hypernima

Banned

never understood the problem people had with him. the thing is though I don't understand why people are concerned with his masculinity or black masculinity as a whole.

Numb

They are just jelly
Easy life and freedom to do whatever

I don't have strong feelings on VR one way or the other but it seems extremely risky, to say the least, to make an expensive product that people can only "get" if they try first-hand. A lot of the hardcore evangelists love telling skeptics that if they try it they'll understand but that's not a good strategy if you want something to move beyond niche status.
Euros in the thread on not playing with that price conversion

Dereck

bEgNWU3.gif

Village

Same

never understood the problem people had with him. the thing is though I don't understand why people are concerned with his masculinity or black masculinity as a whole.
Same, that masculinity thing is weird.

" Insert rapper here, usually drake, is soft. "

What does that mean? How is that relevant to rapping ability? Does that stop him from being rich? Do his groupie's care that he's " soft "

Slayven

Jaden Smith is just a weird, harmless rich kid. A really good kid, actually. I think there is some 'cism involved.

a little black boy is out there being wild and free testing socail boundary. there is a bit of 'cism

And people always saying Will is putting him in shit, dude been in 3 movies

But how much Work has Nickolas Cage, Max Landis, and others gotten because of their blood?

akira28

Yeah I'll stick with Google Cardboard for now. Only way I'm grabbing anything else is if I win 'em in a raffle or something

first look at games and gaf today, and that 600 dollar oculus thing is the first I see.

Fuck. That. Noise.

anyway, I'm expecting a 6" 30 dollar refurbished LG smartphone that will become the new test screen for my VR HMD. Fuck Occulus, Fuck Parker Ridley. I will find another way into virtual reality.

I will say this: Playing games like Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous with VR are fun, but it makes those games even harder. VR comes with fucking training yourself to play games in a different way. Making it into work is probably not going to be a popular effect of the new technology.

Sch1sm

first look at games and gaf today, and that 600 dollar oculus thing is the first I see.

Fuck. That. Noise.

anyway, I'm expecting a 6" 30 dollar refurbished LG smartphone that will become the new test screen for my VR HMD. Fuck Occulus, Fuck Parker Ridley. I will find another way into virtual reality.

I will say this: Playing games like Assetto Corsa and Elite Dangerous with VR are fun, but it makes those games even harder. VR comes with fucking training yourself to play games in a different way. Making it into work is probably not going to be a popular effect of the new technology.

Thing is, most casuals won't even be able to run a RIFT unless you have a pretty updated computer:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

akira28

looking at my VR setup and a rift, it's like 1 for 1 ghetto operational. got my video helmet, my 10 dollar logitech headphones, got a logitech webcam doing VR sensor duty, got my old school wired xbox360 controller, and I'm sweatin, woo.

I have wires everywhere though, but the sheer fact I can do all of this with my old rig spending less than 60$ just pisses me off even more that OR will be that expensive.

Slayven

Thing is, most casuals won't even be able to run a RIFT unless you have a pretty updated computer:
People don't get that. Casuals aren't going to have a 400 dollar video card in their walmart special.
looking at my VR setup and a rift, it's like 1 for 1 ghetto operational. got my video helmet, my 10 dollar logitech headphones, got a logitech webcam doing VR sensor duty, got my old school wired xbox360 controller, and I'm sweatin, woo.

I have wires everywhere though, but the sheer fact I can do all of this with my old rig spending less than 60$ just pisses me off even more that OR will be that expensive.

Duct taping your own setup is so satisfying.

Trey

People don't get that. Casuals aren't going to have a 400 dollar video card in their walmart special.

Those two cans on a string not gonna cut it for SWS no more. Y'all prime time now.

akira28

lol, electrical tape, because eventually I have to untape that shit to replace batteries and wire leads, and we all know duct tape doesn't come off, without first destroying.

But fuck soldering irons. Burnt myself and made myself feel extremely dumb the last time I gave radio shack way too much money for one of those. (actually used to know how to work one...)

Slayven

lol, electrical tape, because eventually I have to untape that shit to replace batteries and wire leads, and we all know duct tape doesn't come off, without first destroying.

But fuck soldering irons. Burnt myself and made myself feel extremely dumb the last time I gave radio shack way too much money for one of those. (actually used to know how to work one...)

I will never forget the smell of ozone when i burnt out a RAM module and the slot it was in

shagia

i am absolutely disgusted

I've actually noticed that a lot with the people around me and it's a shame that it's still something that's pushed, just the action of not relying on roles / relatable stereotypes (I guess) just manages to visibly make others angry / concerned, such as the action of Jaden just wearing unisex clothing for a photo shoot.

And then there's the people who just think wearing unisex clothes or just "being weird" is some sort of conspiracy to "make more kids gay"

I still think Jaden in that photoshoot actually made it work real goddamned well. It's insane how well he pulled that off, he looks like he's at the prime of his life and I love it, it's rather inspiring IMO

I agree. Jaden and Willow could be the only free black children in America. They can do whatever they want. Dress like Batman? Sure. Spout crazy philosophy? Sure.

And besides, the "perfect" female model has the body of a skinny boy. Jaden's perfect for the part. This might be his career (instead of acting). Willow seems to be in the music lane herself.

Kreed

We already had the "normal" Will Smith son and no one even remembers him. Let Jaden be Jaden. Just keep him out of multi million dollar movies until he can act.

Furyous

*looks at retina macbook pro and weeps*

What about us Mac people? Oculus works on top end PC hardware but what about the rest of us? Apple needs to jump into the fray and realize the potential for another ecosystem. As a lazy fuck the idea of VR netflix is thrilling. I can wake up, not touch a computer, and instantly watch movies. SIGN ME UP NOW DAMMIT.

I have a PS4 so that keeps me alive in the revolution but I'm mad my computer isn't Jesus tier spec and thus incapable of VR.

--

Jaden is black confucius and can get away with anything but the rest of you dudes? NAH, WE NEED AN INTERVENTION. I'm not hating on the LGBTQIA either but... it's too early for this. I'm with the homie Ray J.

Slayven

I agree. Jaden and Willow could be the only free black children in America. They can do whatever they want. Dress like Batman? Sure. Spout crazy philosophy? Sure.

And besides, the "perfect" female model has the body of a skinny boy. Jaden's perfect for the part. This might be his career (instead of acting). Willow seems to be in the music lane herself.

Him getting picked says more about the state of fashion and mainstream standards of beauty. Straight up and straight down, no curves.

RedSwirl

What I don't get are these people thinking VR was supposed to blow up out of the gate. Have console launches skewed people's expectations? Because all new tech doesn't start out like a PlayStation or Xbox where the entire success of the device is decided in the first few months or even the first year of sales. I've always seen the beginning of the Rift as early adopter tech like DVD players or 4k TVs

To be honest I never saw VR in general reaching mass market price until probably 2019 at the earliest.

Truth. Come to think of it Chick Fil' A's lemonade and milk shakes have been on point for as long as I can remember.

What I don't get are these people thinking VR was supposed to blow up out of the gate. Have console launches skewed people's expectations? Because all new tech doesn't start out like a PlayStation or Xbox where the entire success of the device is decided in the first few months or even the first year of sales. I've always seen the beginning of the Rift as early adopter tech like DVD players or 4k TVs

To be honest I never saw VR in general reaching mass market price until probably 2019 at the earliest.

This is true, part of me feels like they should have held off on consumer models until they could get the price lower though.

Top Bottom