• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Africanus

So, I do not desire to make this thread any more depressing truly, but this is a matter that has been weighing on my mind.

Yesterday as I was working on some homework on the other, my father invites me in for a talk. And then he revealed to me that the reason he had been a bit ill for the past year (I had recognized there was some sort of issue with his prostate I believe, in 2014 he had to do a few hospital visits) was that he had cancer. And had hidden it from most.

It paints quite a few interactions I've had with him and my mother in the past year in a different light. I'm still not quite sure how to feel exactly, it's a troubling set of emotions.

So, I do not desire to make this thread any more depressing truly, but this is a matter that has been weighing on my mind.

Yesterday as I was working on some homework on the other, my father invites me in for a talk. And then he revealed to me that the reason he had been a bit ill for the past year (I had recognized there was some sort of issue with his prostate I believe, in 2014 he had to do a few hospital visits) was that he had cancer. And had hidden it from most.

It paints quite a few interactions I've had with him and my mother in the past year in a different light. I'm still not quite sure how to feel exactly, it's a troubling set of emotions.

Good god. Sorry to heart that Africanus. That's heavy. Were those hospital visits him starting up treatment for it?

Slayven

Sorry to hear that, I hope things come out ok

Malyse

I had the same experience a few years back. My pops just dropped it on me. Hope yours pulls through.

----

OH WOW.

andthebeatgoeson

No. That's one of the bad parts. He isn't starting treatment till this Friday. I'm not even sure how far its progressed in 1 year.
Sorry to hear. If it's prostate cancer, they are being less aggressive with it now. So, it's hard to say what the year did for him.

Unfortunately, a lot of people 'hide' their illnesses. I think some feel vulnerable. Hell, my mom always tried to make us think 'there are some things you don't tell people'. Now, every time I can, I point out how wrong that is. She'll tell me Aunt Soinso died but never told anyone she had cancer. How hurtful that is to the immediate family. As the surviving family member, you feel overwhelmingly hurt. It's an assault on the definition of family to know someone suffered and you had no idea.

But it's an avoidance process. I've done it. Specifically when I was depressed. And it's not so easy to think these things thru when it's your disease.

All that is to say, sorry. I hope you can find understanding. For your dad, his illness and what's going thru his mind. Dad's are like the biggest mystery for people. They don't understand them because society has taught Dad's to just shut up and keep it moving.

Malyse

Went ahead and made a topic on this one. Saw it pop up on my timeline just now.

Yeah, I'm aiming to not be about that this year. I've no intention of even posting in the inevitable shooting threads this year, let alone making them. Had my fill in 2015.

----

Which do you prefer?

OfuxAnb.png

5fBOg9g.png

Numb

sorry to hear
best wishes man

Yeah, I'm aiming to not be about that this year. I've no intention of even posting in the inevitable shooting threads this year, let alone making them. Had my fill in 2015.

----

Which do you prefer?
first

----

Which do you prefer?

Tbh, the first one but the font change between words is a bit jarring.

-------

Sorry about the bad news Africanus.

andthebeatgoeson

Only tribalism and power can explain the theory put forth by Cosby’s defenders—that some 40 women have joined together in a wide-ranging conspiracy to bring a powerful black man down. Why this plot would target an aging entertainer well past his prime and not, say, the first black president is left unasked. We, too, are capable of fictions because, as it turns out, oppression confers no wisdom and is rarely self-improving. There is no virtue in being kicked in the face. The virtue is all in what you do after.

Hmm.

I mean, that could be said about all of them :

I'm not a huge fan of the KH aesthetic in general, but setting that aside, I think you should go with something different for "line." I don't know how important lowercase is for you, but if you need something general / universal, I'd try something like Lato, Klinic Slab, Source Sans, Nexa, or Ailerons. Increasing the tracking for "line" would probably help, too.

Also, while I don't necessarily have a problem with abstraction, with how busy your background graphics are it becomes a lot easier for definition / legibility to get lost. I'm reading what I assume "bloody line" as "bloodn line" and "star line" as "scar line". Even if the latter is "scar line", I feel like it's a little too ambiguous. While "RED LINE" is legible by virtue of its silhouette, it's also insanely busy and would probably get lost most easily depending on what it was set against.

I think you should also try and standardize the text sizes across the "line" graphics relative to their background graphics, as well.

akira28

I guess I'm a Green Cyber-Folk. I suppose I should have known this already.

Africanus you have my prayers. I hope for the best outcome.

Africanus

I had the same experience a few years back. My pops just dropped it on me. Hope yours pulls through.
Sorry to hear that, I hope things come out ok
Hopefully, not far. Hoping the best for your family, dude
Sorry to hear, Africanus.
sorry to hear
best wishes man
Africanus you have my prayers. I hope for the best outcome.

Thank you all. Really, I appreciate it alot.
Sorry to hear. If it's prostate cancer, they are being less aggressive with it now. So, it's hard to say what the year did for him.

Unfortunately, a lot of people 'hide' their illnesses. I think some feel vulnerable. Hell, my mom always tried to make us think 'there are some things you don't tell people'. Now, every time I can, I point out how wrong that is. She'll tell me Aunt Soinso died but never told anyone she had cancer. How hurtful that is to the immediate family. As the surviving family member, you feel overwhelmingly hurt. It's an assault on the definition of family to know someone suffered and you had no idea.

But it's an avoidance process. I've done it. Specifically when I was depressed. And it's not so easy to think these things thru when it's your disease.

All that is to say, sorry. I hope you can find understanding. For your dad, his illness and what's going thru his mind. Dad's are like the biggest mystery for people. They don't understand them because society has taught Dad's to just shut up and keep it moving.
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best regarding the illness.

And I can understand why he hid it for so long. A matter of pride, but also would I have been as focused in school and my future? I can see his rationale perhaps.
I'm not really angry though, just worried.

Mizerman

Man...

I'm sorry to hear about that. Hope for the best, though.

Malyse

Yep, it's not so jarring on the more stylised ones though.

For example, the first and last ones there bother me for the same reason, but the others don't.
I'm not a huge fan of the KH aesthetic in general, but setting that aside, I think you should go with something different for "line." I don't know how important lowercase is for you, but if you need something general / universal, I'd try something like Lato, Klinic Slab, Source Sans, Nexa, or Ailerons. Increasing the tracking for "line" would probably help, too.

Also, while I don't necessarily have a problem with abstraction, with how busy your background graphics are it becomes a lot easier for definition / legibility to get lost. I'm reading what I assume "bloody line" as "bloodn line" and "star line" as "scar line". Even if the latter is "scar line", I feel like it's a little too ambiguous. While "RED LINE" is legible by virtue of its silhouette, it's also insanely busy and would probably get lost most easily depending on what it was set against.

I think you should also try and standardize the text sizes across the "line" graphics relative to their background graphics, as well.
thank you for the feedback!

Because of busy they are, I intend to display them against a flat color background, not unlike

smb-screen-2.png

Likely a very dark gray or similarly dark gradient.

How's this?

Suppose I'll go with the first Hazard line then.

Question for Slay.

I'm just essentially checking my facts here, but has there ever been an important black character in a DC/Marvel company wide crossover? Or a borderline main character? As in, Morrison's contained stuff like Multiversity and Seven Soldiers don't count.

Because I think Black Panther is the first in Secret Wars. Luke Cage was supposed to be important in Secret Invasion and Siege, but ended up not doing much.

Slayven

Question for Slay.

I'm just essentially checking my facts here, but has there ever been an important black character in a DC/Marvel company wide crossover? Or a borderline main character? As in, Morrison's contained stuff like Multiversity and Seven Soldiers don't count.

Because I think Black Panther is the first in Secret Wars. Luke Cage was supposed to be important in Secret Invasion and Siege, but ended up not doing much.

Off the tip, I would say you are right. I would put money on it

Malyse

Question for Slay.

Luke was a big player on Cap's side in Civil War, but that was relegated to the side stories so it prolly doesn't count.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Question for Slay.

Would you count Steel in 52?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Hmm, good point. Does that even count as a crossover event? Or a series?

it's kind of borderline, isn't it? I mean I feel like everybody of note in the DC universe showed up at some point, and it was the story of what happened during that missing year after Infinite Crisis. And it did bring back the multiverse, so... I dunno.

Shy

Goodness. I am so so sorry to hear about your father Africanus. I hope now that he's about to get treatment he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Malyse

Today I learned that Amazon Web Services S3 only works properly with Internet Explorer. Or at least the pages I built only work in Internet Explorer. I've been slamming my head against the wall trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

Welp.

Oh, it also *half* works on Mobile Safari. I'll need to adjust the site for mobile optimization.

I am so very bored. I'm running out of ways to kill time at work.

damn this new fresh face of black Republicanism

don't forget

andthebeatgoeson

Your dodging becomes good after the 5th time
One lived with us for minute. Fun times
You smash?

My mom just hit me with the "I was out and I met a nice young lady"

😓
Best way to stop that is to do one dirty. Smashed one my mom's introduced me to and stopped calling her. She didn't like people laying on her couch because they might get it dirty. She inspected my penis one time. I had to really summon a dark Lord to have sex with her. But I endured.

Then lost interest and wouldn't return her phone calls.

Mom's stopped introducing me to her friend's daughters/family after that.

Top Bottom