• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

tmdorsey

It sucks that black films are restricted to comedies, romcoms and melodramas - I wish people like Tyler Perry would fund other shit for once.

MFing .

Oscar noms aren't surprising in the least. It really sucks for the cast of SOC. Their work was damn good especially Jason Mitchell. Hopefully they still get more work from it.

I hope they finally stop shitting on Leo though.

harSon

Banned
"But After Earth bombed! Clearly black people don't want 'other shit for once' movies."

I'm not even talking about stuff like After Earth. I'm talking about quote unquote black films, that are made by black people for black people. Pretty much 99.9% of those films are comedies, romcoms and melodramas.

Kreed

I'm not even talking about stuff like After Earth. I'm talking about quote unquote black films, that are made by black people for black people. Pretty much 99.9% of those films are comedies, romcoms and melodramas.

Black people making things for black people are still following the same rules, they just impose them on themselves. Tyler Perry isn't going to make a movie about black people in space because he is also going to say to himself "Black people don't want to see black people in space, black people want to see something REAL like getting your hair cut in the barber shop.".

akira28

black media doesn't get to be "abstract", our songs have to be about love and having a good time. Or tv shows have to be about family life, life in the city, or making a wave if we can(temporary layoffs, good tiiiimes).

white media can have a show about nothing be #1 for years. white people can sing about dreams. there is little room for black daydreams.

black media doesn't get to be "abstract", our songs have to be about love and having a good time. Or tv shows have to be about family life, life in the city, or making a wave if we can(temporary layoffs, good tiiiimes).

white media can have a show about nothing be #1 for years.

Homboys in Space and Pluto Nash fucked us over....

harSon

Banned
I don't think Pluto Nash is as bad as people say. I think people just dog piled onto it after it flopped. Don't get me wrong, it's not good. But it's also not one of the worst films of all time like people tend to label it. Also, Pluto Nash and Men in Black 2, despite not being good - have a special place in my heart for introducing me to Rosario Dawson.

It sucks that black films are restricted to comedies, romcoms and melodramas - I wish people like Tyler Perry would fund other shit for once.

I dislike Tyler Perry for only working on work that portray black stereotypes for entertainment. Dude has the money to make some empowering projects, but instead reinforces the status quo. Such a waste.

harSon

Banned
I dislike Tyler Perry for only working on work that portray black stereotypes for entertainment. Dude has the money to make some empowering projects, but instead reinforces the status quo. Such a waste.

I dislike that aspect of him, but between the movies and television shows he puts out - he's a massive crutch for minorities, both behind and in front of the camera, that likely wouldn't have many chances within the industry otherwise.

akira28

Tyler needs a proxy.

I'll do it.

If I had the money I'd do a lot of things. If I suddenly hit powerball, my first move would be to hire some staff.

I think that's what "For Colored Girls" was supposed to be but that like was like the wrong end of empowering, like fucking depressing.

I thought Men In Black II was pretty good though eh.

harSon

Banned
I still think Tyler Perry's a potentially great actor, if removed from his own stuff and given some legitimate material. Even in his own stuff, when not playing Madea, that fact shines through.

Tyler needs a proxy.

I'll do it.

If I had the money I'd do a lot of things. If I suddenly hit powerball, my first move would be to hire some staff.

if i won the lotto id buy out the Oscar awards, gonna be BET up in this bitch, Leo will be the honory black and we'll give him our awards

Constance Wu will host

i'll throw in a couple Kpop stars for my man slay too

I still think Tyler Perry's a potentially great actor, if removed from his own stuff and given some legitimate material. Even in his own stuff, when not playing Madea, that fact shines through.

I thought I was the only one who noticed this lol

Blacks get in charge and still give awards to the white man #hotep

I liked him in Gone Girl. He was about the only thing I liked in Gone Girl.

ApharmdX

Banned

That's how Tyler Perry gets that money. He makes cheap movies and shows that are profitable. But yeah, he's frustrating for sure.

Crocodile

that time of year again

MLK didn't die for this :( :/

The Wolf Link amiibo thread. Oh noes! They are adding a dungeon that's amiibo exclusive! Like,

1. Twilight Princess has an obscene number of dungeons.
2. There's a ton of other content in the game.
3. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

I'm certain that this one thing won't be the only thing added to TP.

I mean I don't know if complaining about an Amiibo makes someone the worst. Though I kind of agree that this one among many topics that I'm surprised so many people give so many fucks about. Amiibo, both in a good way and bad way, rustle more jimmes than they deserve. They are neat little figures. Pick them up if that interests you or don't. Whatever.

Bae, Corrin, Cloud and Roy are the only ones I'll be picking up. I already have all the others I want. Except the ones I want that don't exist.

Nintendo logic:

We'll make six versions of Mario and six versions on Yoshi that all have the same NFC, so they all do the same thing.

Huh? Why would we want to make Female!Robin and Female!Kamui amiibo?

😒

I think even their internal data suggests the female versions are more popular. Not sure why they stuck with the male as default here. At least if you're doing Male Robin do Female Corrin to switch it up?

#Oscarssowhite part 2 is in effect. Because the AMPAS and the MPAA love sequels.

Surprise = 0%
Disappointment = 100%

"Acadamy" going to "academy" I guess :/

Malyse

Black people making things for black people are still following the same rules, they just impose them on themselves. Tyler Perry isn't going to make a movie about black people in space because he is also going to say to himself "Black people don't want to see black people in space, black people want to see something REAL like getting your hair cut in the barber shop.".
Barbershop 3! April 2016.
I think even their internal data suggests the female versions are more popular. Not sure why they stuck with the male as default here. At least if you're doing Male Robin do Female Corrin to switch it up?
After KOTOR 2 I thought this was the perfect way to handle it: First series defaults to male, second defaults to female. Male Robin, Female Corrin,
goddammit Kamui was a perfectly fine name
. Male Revan, Female Outcast. Male Shepard, Female Rider.

Especially that last one. Don't you fucking dare name your protagonist after the first woman in space and then default to male.

I have a lot of feelings about this.

Homboys in Space and Pluto Nash fucked us over....

Or Norbit.

Don't forget Meteor Man.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

This is very true as well. Black audiences have almost been trained what a "Black movie" is supposed to be. Anything different gets called out or ignored. Would be nice if we could move away from that. Even a Black star in a "mainstream" movie might not get the same support as 'Madea Goes to Prison pt 3".

I dislike that aspect of him, but between the movies and television shows he puts out - he's a massive crutch for minorities, both behind and in front of the camera, that likely wouldn't have many chances within the industry otherwise.

Agreed. I mean, Tyler probably would like to do other things, but he knows that what he is doing is the only way he can keep black people employed. It's benefiting from the system and expectations, but not like Hollywood is open for minorities for doing much else. Also as said above, would his audiences be ready for a departure. What was that action movie Tyler was in?

JLynn

Today I learned that the suit actor for Urkel-Bot and Bill-Bot from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was Boogaloo Shrimp from Breakin'.

Agreed. I mean, Tyler probably would like to do other things, but he knows that what he is doing is the only way he can keep black people employed. It's benefiting from the system and expectations, but not like Hollywood is open for minorities for doing much else. Also as said above, would his audiences be ready for a departure. What was that action movie Tyler was in?

Alex Cross. He got the role because Idris Elba had scheduling conflicts. According to director Rob Cohen (Who directed the first Fast and the Furious) he actually auditioned.

Perhaps thing will change as he will play Baxter Stockman in the new TMNT movie.

akira28

Whoa, what's wrong with Meteor Man? I loved that movie when I was a kid.

not a damn thing. The first black Superhero movie? thin Luther? proof that another bad creation actually existed? not a damn thing is wrong with Meteor Man.

KumaJG

Only things Creed should of been nominated for are cinematography ,editing and best director. Michael B Jordan performance wasn't top 5 worthy.

akira28

Budget - $30,000,000
Box office - $8,023,147

well he made it like a real superhero movie. Townsend said that was his shot and he had always wanted to do it. I respect him for that, even though he knew the chances of his movie crossing over and being seen by the mainstream was low. My parents took me to see it in theatres. And every seat was packed, but I saw it at a black theatre in a black shopping mall in a black city, so...

I'm currently watching the USPS deliver a my damn package to the wrong location in real time.

Golden Lords > 99% of Marvel movie villains.

lol if they did a fucking gritty Marvel MAX version of the Golden Lords in a movie?

Get yelled at for not knowing who Ed Sheeran is man

nfi who Ed Sheeran is.

I did one of those DNA tests and got results from 14 different parts of the Earth. Think I'll just stick with black.

You're the Anti-Raven Symone!

are you shocked?

All this being shocked is why most black superheroes have electric powers.

I liked him in Gone Girl. He was about the only thing I liked in Gone Girl.

Tyler Perry was fun in Gone Girl, but he had a fairly easy job - be gregarious and occasionally give a look that seemed to say, "These white people are crazy.". Sort of a chill, toned down male version of Madea. I am curious about how he's going to play Baxter Stockman, who is the OG blerd villian. I need to see evil Neil deGrasse Tyson.

And Meteor Man was...Robert Townsend doing a family friendly superhero movie with a message about reading. Come on, it had Bill Cosby in it, it wasn't going to be Blade or Spawn.

akira28

And it was still a good, competent, entertaining film. Starring mostly black people, so only black people saw it. Non-ironically.

FnUMCVf.png

akira28

chubby scruffy red haired dude I see in the supermarket aisle tabloids all the time, thats about it. I guess he's an actor or something. Last name makes me think Irish.

That is true. There is a happy part in his footprint on the industry but can't forget that most big movies with a mainly black cast is his work and it wouldn't be as big as a problem if there were other names that didn't have to depend on "cheapness" to be any good.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Today I learned that the suit actor for Urkel-Bot and Bill-Bot from Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey was Boogaloo Shrimp from Breakin'.

Alex Cross. He got the role because Idris Elba had scheduling conflicts. According to director Rob Cohen (Who directed the first Fast and the Furious) he actually auditioned.

Perhaps thing will change as he will play Baxter Stockman in the new TMNT movie.

A this was great. Love learning about musical history and stuff.

Top Bottom