• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

so, about that thread. wow.

i was writing a reply to Arc Cristelle before it got locked and I wanted to post it somewhere, because I feel like my view on the word negro might honestly be incorrect or at least, not entirely informed.

growing up in suburban middle-class white America, I was taught (largely by passive absorption of historical literature/history) that the word 'negro' is heavily associated with pre-20th century America, specifically in relation to the slave trade. it just always seemed like an off-limits or at least, completely archaic word to use when describing or referring to black people. i understand the word still exists in modern usage via things like the NAACP or the UNCF, but those specific instances were never addressed in anyway. it was my (apparently incorrect) assumption that their inclusion was an anachronism.

it isn't a word i want to use, or think that i have any reason (or right) to, but i can understand the kneejerk reaction of "oh my god he just said 'negro'!" based on what i wrote above.

but yeah, that thread was rapidly heading into a bad place.

Numb

I look forward to hearing ''where the hidden negro presets'' question whenever a game ditches black people in creators. Which is alot.
Thread will stop right there as the discussions turns to the usual lol

Mizerman

I look forward to hearing ''where the hidden negro presets'' question whenever a game ditches black people in creators. Which is alot.
Thread will stop right there as the discussions turns to the usual lol

Along with "Devil's Advocate" and other buzzwords.

giphy.gif

LOL, it sounds like a catchphrase you scream out in a time of need to unlock beast mode super powers.

New thread title right there. LOL.

Sup fam, how's things.
Couldn't even get Sub to get the Gods of Ireland, no way a horse title will get the proper lurkers posting here

Shy

Couldn't even get Sub to get the Gods of Ireland, no way a horse title will get the proper lurkers posting here
LOL, i know what you're saying. But sorry if i'm misreading your post, i wasn't asking for a horse title. (again sorry if that wasn't what you meant)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I need a Steve Harvey Family Fued gif of him saying "show me the negro presets!" and then BZZT XXX

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
What's up with the horse images referencing Alligatorjandro? I've seen countless pages of that and don't understand.

From what I recall gata lost a bet and was forced to display a Jaguars (the NFL team)/My Little Pony avatar for a year. Pony/horse images follow.

xuIkTuS.jpg

I just snapped this off my FB feed.

The girl who posted this is white.

They live in a part of Pennsylvania where there are no major cities in a 100 mile radius, about 2 street lights, and no black people.

Kreed

so, about that thread. wow.

i was writing a reply to Arc Cristelle before it got locked and I wanted to post it somewhere, because I feel like my view on the word negro might honestly be incorrect or at least, not entirely informed.

growing up in suburban middle-class white America, I was taught (largely by passive absorption of historical literature/history) that the word 'negro' is heavily associated with pre-20th century America, specifically in relation to the slave trade. it just always seemed like an off-limits or at least, completely archaic word to use when describing or referring to black people. i understand the word still exists in modern usage via things like the NAACP or the UNCF, but those specific instances were never addressed in anyway. it was my (apparently incorrect) assumption that their inclusion was an anachronism.

it isn't a word i want to use, or think that i have any reason (or right) to, but i can understand the kneejerk reaction of "oh my god he just said 'negro'!" based on what i wrote above.

but yeah, that thread was rapidly heading into a bad place.

That thread is one of those instances where you have to remember that by default, everyone on this forum is a white male until revealed not to be. So many of the responses were people thinking the OP was white using the word, in addition to what you're saying in your post in regards to other ethnic groups using that word.

As for the word, to the black community in the US, negro has the same rules as nigga, it's just older and not used as much by younger generations so that's double the reason why GAF didn't know how to handle it.

Top Bottom