• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I've heard too many "prince is kind of an ass" stories for them to not be true. But I can't hate too much because he's so talented. Also the stories seem to change depending on the person, for example he did a ton of stuff to help out and woo Janelle Monae.
http://www.mtv.com/news/2720889/teen-slang-2016/

1wbgdEe.gif
White Culture.
This looks ridiculous in the best way.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just watched Dope. Man, I wish more people had talked about it so I had heard about it sooner. Real fun movie with an even more fun soundtrack.

Little tiff on Twitter over Macklemore's White Privilage singles. Some people are hardlineing that he should have stayed shut up because awareness is cheap but I'm personally fine with whatever Mackerel wants to do with the mic if it might reach someone. If this is the start of some actual support for black lives within the industry and beyond, then I welcome it. I recognize the reticence from people completely however because it isn't as brave as it might be pushed just like me waking up to male privilege wasn't some deep impact on women's rights. The oppressed always have more risk and less benefits when it comes to pleading publicly for themselves whereas it's easy for people to assign heroics to the "person in the majority who steps down to help the little people". The White Privilage songs might get Mackerel a lot of press and ink that others actually in the struggle can't get so easily. Part of the journey is to recognize that reality and truly use it for the promotion of the oppressed instead of just making it about how much you've "learned and grown and changed" which I can only sit back and hope Mackerel does. I'd prefer that chance to him just staying quiet. How do you lot feel about it?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
If you think the road to real equality and understanding is going to happen without getting white people on board and being vocal, you're an idiot.

For all that it smarts when someone else gets a load of pub for saying the same things that POC have been saying for years, you can't tell me that awareness and expression of that awareness doesn't help in the long run.

I'd post this on Twitter but I'm going to bed

Kreed

So, yeah..am I remembering things wrong? Isn't this place always losing it when a young (underage) girl lies about their age to some older dude? I swear I've seen it in multiple threads. Yet, here we are..and folks are really going in on this dude in that thread. What gives?

You're seeing the "A under age girl isn't going to have legal age girl thoughts" posters being more vocal this time. Can't say I don't agree with them, but I'm not going to throw that at the OP and attempt to victim blame him in this situation since many of these apps like Tinder are used by people just wanting to have sex. I doubt this dude was trying to find out the girl's life goals/etc... going to her house on the first date to watch a movie. Online daters in general should be more cautious of people they meet online (going to the home of someone you met online on the first date/you've never met in person is a big "Nah I'm good" IMO vs going somewhere there are eye witnesses) but the OP isn't at fault here.

akira28

people just don't do that in real life. if they feel safe its on like sneaking in the side door.

making sure to meet at the food court with each a friend along is unrealistic unless you're trying to protect yourself. most people are just trying to get it in. and that's men and women.

but he should have been more careful. Dude was trying to get laid, not read her CV. too many assumptions from us spectators anyway. OP hasn't said anything since, I don't think.

Malyse

If you think the road to real equality and understanding is going to happen without getting white people on board and being vocal, you're an idiot.

For all that it smarts when someone else gets a load of pub for saying the same things that POC have been saying for years, you can't tell me that awareness and expression of that awareness doesn't help in the long run.

There's a difference between white support and white saviors. Yes, Martin had the support of a majority of the white community (or at least enough to change policy) but the *leader* of the movement was Martin. Yes, Macklemore can talk about BlackLivesMatter; hell, I encourage it. But there's no reason not to point to the audience to the black leadership.

I don't want nobody to give me nothing. Open up the door and I'll get it myself.

It's the difference between giving to charity and sending out a press release you're giving to charity, making sure a camera crew is there to witness you giving to charity, posting on Twitter and your Official Facebook that you gave to charity, putting pics on Instagram of you giving to charity, making a Vine iof you giving to charity, etc. Yes in the end the money gets got, but one is about the charity and the other is about you. And too often the "socially conscious" crowd is the latter, as often to assuage their white privilege/guilt as to gain praise.

TL;DR White people can feel free to help as long as they aren't talking over black folk to do it.

That being said, I think Mackelmore is generally innocuous. I don't blame him for being popular.
she your type bruh?

Krysten Ritter is beautiful. Petite women are the best.

Slayven

whats this in reference to?

whats this in reference to?

Black Twitter issue particularly among activists last night over if Macklemore's White Privilage singles helped the cause or if they were not necessary/insulting/would have a negligible effect etc.

Activists like Deray listened and saw no harm in it but retweeted something to the effect of "If Mackerel's singles are another white apology, he can keep it because keep it but if it's a sincere push to tell other white people to reflect on themselves and their place in society then it's a welcome gesture." That basically cut to Deray's opinions on it.

Others were just like, "Mackerel's song is cheap but if he's not down on the ground or using his platform to truly risk it all like we are, it's just charity in the same way that acknowledging you live in the first world doesn't truly help those starving in the third."

It was a big thing for a bit that got me thinking.
Thanks for the responses so far

Sounds like they already have funding and this is mainly an indicator of interest tbh.

Close. The community manager in the first thread (which was locked) said they already have the funds to build the base game and that the Kickstarter is just to allow them to make it on a larger scale.

That said, I can't help but remain a bit wary of backing considering the number of indie JRPGs we've seen fall apart months after being successfully kickstarted.

Close. The community manager in the first thread (which was locked) said they already have the funds to build the base game and that the Kickstarter is just to allow them to make it on a larger scale.

That said, I can't help but remain a bit wary of backing considering the number of indie JRPGs we've seen fall apart months after being successfully kickstarted.

Yeah, you're right to be wary (as people should be with ALL Kickstarter campaigns). This one looks like a reasonable bet though.

Slayven

Black Twitter issue particularly among activists last night over if Macklemore's White Privilage singles helped the cause or if they were not necessary/insulting/would have a negligible effect etc.

Activists like Deray listened and saw no harm in it but retweeted something to the effect of "If Mackerel's singles are another white apology, he can keep it because keep it but if it's a sincere push to tell other white people to reflect on themselves and their place in society then it's a welcome gesture." That basically cut to Deray's opinions on it.

Others were just like, "Mackerel's song is cheap but if he's not down on the ground or using his platform to truly risk it all like we are, it's just charity in the same way that acknowledging you live in the first world doesn't truly help those starving in the third."

It was a big thing for a bit that got me thinking.
Thanks for the responses so far

Black Twitter can best and the worst at the same time.

Doesn't sound like a big thing, I thought it was going to be that "You should court racists and explain why you deserve basic human rights and respect"

I am over that bullshit.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't even know what to think of that thread about the gaffer getting charged with statutory rape. He came here looking for sympathy and by page 3 was getting ripped to shreds. I both agree and disagree with a ton of messages in there.

I agree

-why are you going to someone's house for the very first meeting from a dating site? Red flag.

- makeup and clothes etc can really change a person's appearance but he had not even the slightest inclination she was young from all the interaction beforehand and meeting her in person? suspect

I disagree

- "Asking for people's IDs when you first meet them is MANDATORY" da fuck? It can be a good precaution if you're suspicious but people saying you should demand it every time are out of their minds.

- That this dude's life should be ruined because of what happened. The better question is why do people do things like this in the first place? It's amazing he got off as light as he did.

The take aways from that thread for me are:

- stay skeptical
- don't be a slut
- NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE

I don't even know what to think of that thread about the gaffer getting charged with statutory rape. He came here looking for sympathy and by page 3 was getting ripped to shreds. I both agree and disagree with a ton of messages in there.

I agree

-why are you going to someone's house for the very first meeting from a dating site? Red flag.

- makeup and clothes etc can really change a person's appearance but he had not even the slightest inclination she was young from all the interaction beforehand and meeting her in person? suspect

I disagree

- "Asking for people's IDs when you first meet them is MANDATORY" da fuck? It can be a good precaution if you're suspicious but people saying you should demand it every time are out of their minds.

- That this dude's life should be ruined because of what happened. The better question is why do people do things like this in the first place? It's amazing he got off as light as he did.

The take aways from that thread for me are:

- stay skeptical
- don't be a slut
- NEVER TALK TO THE POLICE

My sentiments are the same as yours, he definitely didn't deserve any time he did, but that red flag should have came when she started talking. Going to someone's house on the first night is also risky.

I lost respect for some people in that thread who think dude should have gotten the time when he was clearly tricked and profiled. At the same time, I'm not surprised some of them think that way since a couple love to tone police in BLM threads.

Don't date anyone under 25. Wait for the prefrontal cortex to grow in so they can make sensible decisions.

Yuup. I'm 22, but some people still act like they were dropped on their head multiple times and some have me by a couple years.

My sentiments are the same as yours, he definitely didn't deserve any time he did, but that red flag should have came when she started talking. Going to someone's house on the first night is also risky.

I lost respect for some people in that thread who think dude should have gotten the time when he was clearly tricked and profiled. At the same time, I'm not surprised some of them think that way since a couple love to tone police in BLM threads.
It all started to make sense when I recognized some of the names..amazing.

Malyse

I've realized that almost every story I've read that I've had trouble following has the exact same problem: too many main characters. Not everyone needs a fucking story arc. Pick a few characters and follow them exclusively. Let some people be decorations.

It all started to make sense when I recognized some of the names..amazing.

Funny how that works.

I've realized that almost every story I've read that I've had trouble following has the exact same problem: too many main characters. Not everyone needs a fucking story arc. Pick a few characters and follow them exclusively. Let some people be decorations.

I've been picky about this for a while. Some characters can have their shine here and there, but the story shouldn't take a break so that we can get to know a person that will be a minor character anyway.

Malyse

on the first date you say to her "let's go rent a car in New York state" if she can't toss her to the curb
I mean biologically, people under 25 are impaired. The brain doesn't finish growing until about 25 and the last part that grows in, the prefrontal cortex, is the part that assists in logical decision making. This is also why most people calm the fuck down halfway through their 20's.
But Beef and JC ain't ever gonna be shit.
So yeah. I'm ageist as fuck and I'm not ashamed of it.
I've been picky about this for a while. Some characters can have their shine here and there, but the story shouldn't take a break so that we can get to know a person that will be a minor character anyway.

It just saved me. I have some 27? characters, but now I know to only focus on a few. There's really only seven that actually need it.

-----

Today in white bullshit:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/01/22/rampling-oscar-debate-racist-to-whites.html

Slayven

I mean biologically, people under 25 are impaired. The brain doesn't finish growing until about 25 and the last part that grows in, the prefrontal cortex, is the part that assists in logical decision making. This is also why most people calm the fuck down halfway through their 20's.
But Beef and JC ain't ever gonna be shit.
So yeah. I'm ageist as fuck and I'm not ashamed of it.

It just saved me. I have some 27? characters, but now I know to only focus on a few. There's really only seven that actually need it.

-----

Today in white bullshit:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2016/01/22/rampling-oscar-debate-racist-to-whites.html

CZVsalVUAAAlg6x.jpg

Top Bottom