• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

akira28

LMAO.

hoteps be warned. would be hoteps, stay home. Do not come to BHM dressed like a Thundercat. That is all.

cryolite, my dude, I'm sorry it had to be you. Good luck for real.

edit: DD my vote is for version 4.

Merc_

I dunno, a had have a friend who i showed the info too. She's was little upset because she thought some of the dudes were cute and wanted to touch their face. So as creepy as you find that, I guess.

That's strange to me, yeah. I've never had a desire to physically touch a cartoon character while they blush at me.

Village

Thats fine. Its as creepy as you belive it to be. My reaction when i first found out about it was "thats odd" and promtly forgot it was a thing.

Infinite

I din't mind it existing but personally would have simply ignored if it was included. They probably cut it for localization budget issues tho

Damn..that Star Wars update might actually fuck my game up lol. Messed with the Bow big time. Bounty hunter and explosive shot cards too. Bet that DL-44 is still just as terrible and overused..

They should add a touch feature so I can fondle an Ewok.

FyreWulff

I'm can get behind localizing out material that is actually racist/sexist/creepy/etc. that is not being used in like a narrative/character development kind of way. However, unless I'm fundamentally misunderstanding the nature of this mini-game, there was nothing creepy about it. It was just dumb. As such, I can't really take posts like this at all seriously. Like I feel you're a bit too eager to jump onto/against a "side".

That whole discussion feels like just another example of some of the trends I'm coming to hate on gaming forums - polarized discussions with extreme opinions and positions held more out of tribalism than necessarily logic.

As a game developer, I will never view a developer changing their own game as censorship. It reeks too much of worship of originalism. Video game development is about a bunch of bad ideas being thrown at the wall and cutting back until the good ones surface. If people wanted every game to keep everything from development in every version, every single damn game would come off as Homer's Car.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I din't mind it existing but personally would have simply ignored if it was included. They probably cut it for localization budget issues tho

I don't like the direction Fire Emblem has been going with this stuff, so I'm glad to see it go in the North American version.

Crocodile

As a game developer, I will never view a developer changing their own game as censorship. It reeks too much of worship of originalism. Video game development is about a bunch of bad ideas being thrown at the wall and cutting back until the good ones surface. If people wanted every game to keep everything from development in every version, every single damn game would come off as Homer's Car.

Woah now I said nothing about no censorship. I'm just saying, if you're going to cut things or argue things should be cut because they are creepy, then they should actually be creepy. Words mean things. If everything is creepy, then nothing is actually creepy. I'm with Village in that the mini-game in question is just a whole lot of nothing.

The word ("creepy") and the sentiment are starting to lose meaning. Similar to how terms like "SJW" and even "censorship" itself are terms that have lost descriptive significance. That's part of my frustration. Opinions and word use is becoming so polarized that they are starting to lose meaning.

It's not as bad as boob sliders, but it's definitely suspect/something that would make me avoid a game completely.

That's even more benign. That's a character customization feature that has been in character creators for ages. How is its mere existence in anyway offensive?

Malyse

It's not as bad as boob sliders, but it's definitely suspect/something that would make me avoid a game completely.

Boob sliders should have been left in. However, editing Lin was a good move though. FFS, no one needs to know the state of a 13 year old's pubic region.
I'm totally okay with tossing all the pandering bullshit out in localization.

Village

I don't like the direction Fire Emblem has been going with this stuff, so I'm glad to see it go in the North American version.

I don't think that's going to fix the problem you have with fire emblem though.

Like everything else, is in that video game. You just can't pat homies on the eyeballs no more.

Malyse

One thing though:

I can really get behind this trend of Japanese games not nickel and diming us with bullshit DLC. Xenoblade X and now FF Explorers are coming with all the DLC built right in.

I thought it was cute in Pokemon because they're meant to be pets and you can do stuff like feed Mewtwo cupcakes and shit, but it gets weird when you start doing it to people.

Malyse

They chasing the Moe money.

Shit is long in Japan.

I think it more has to do with the otaku yen versus the western market. You throw in that pandering bs and you'll actively increase your sales in Japan. You get rid of it and while a few people might complain, no one who was going to buy it won't (and you might even get an import sale) and you dodge the misinformed news coverage. Plus you don't alienate people. It's really savvy as all fuck.

Infinite

I'm one of those people who didn't really like Fire Emblem until Awakening but that has nothing to do with the subtle and blatant forms of Otaku pandering present in it.

Moe and the like sells reliably here and the economy has been shit since 2011, so it's really a vicious cycle. Probably not going to end for a while.

At least we're doing our part (The Tomorrow Children coming soon)

Slayven

Moe and the like sells reliably here and the economy has been shit since 2011, so it's really a vicious cycle. Probably not going to end for a while.

At least we're doing our part (The Tomorrow Children coming soon)

Them OTakus pay the bills, I was looking to import some Toku Blu Rays.....shit I would have to sell both kidneyd and suck dick on the side to afford one volume with 5 eps.

Slayven

Japanese blue rays are ridiculous. It was cheaper for me to buy the American version of the Samurai Champloo collection

Is it just for anime and toku and shit or movies period?

I didn't notice anything but I tend to avoid nonsense like that.
You know you would be mad if they made him an old woman

670936-marvel1.jpg

Kreed

Woah now I said nothing about no censorship. I'm just saying, if you're going to cut things or argue things should be cut because they are creepy, then they should actually be creepy. Words mean things. If everything is creepy, then nothing is actually creepy. I'm with Village in that the mini-game in question is just a whole lot of nothing.

The word ("creepy") and the sentiment are starting to lose meaning. Similar to how terms like "SJW" and even "censorship" itself are terms that have lost descriptive significance. That's part of my frustration. Opinions and word use is becoming so polarized that they are starting to lose meaning.

That's even more benign. That's a character customization feature that has been in character creators for ages. How is its mere existence in anyway offensive?

1) In bold, I think this is where you're missing the boat. It's not about being offensive, it's about it the element coming off as something made for shut ins/something no social life having adult wants anything to do with. For example, I read manga regularly, and I've gotten used to shit where there's random panels of "fan service" where the female character's top flies off or some other silly shit meant for young boys and Davidos to get off on. Personally I'd rather have none of it in the manga I read, even if it's just one panel/doesn't alter the overall story. I'm not "mad" at these elements being in there, but when I think of people who do want that stuff in there, it's either young boys or grown men playing PS Vita dating sims that I would never want to knowingly shake hands with. And in video games the same thing goes for cat girl costumes, PS Vita mini games where you rub characters clothes off with your fingers, fuck a woman until a pot falls over mini games, and petting 3D polygons till they turn red. It's not for me or the average person who sees daylight, it's for a group of people who get off on touching virtual characters and I don't blame Nintendo of America for wanting to take this shit out and not turn off the average game buyer.

2) SJW never had any meaning. It's always been a GamerGate/Reddit code word.

3) By boob sliders, I'm specifically talking about Xenoblade, where that shit is less about "customization" and more for dudes who want to play with their virtual women's breast sizes. I know there's plenty of better examples of character customization out there where this is done better so that it's less about sexualizing and more about creating the character you want.

Slayven

Nope, got a link?

Trying to find it, strangely can't. The story was the Wizard would have sent Adam to the other side of the universe and it would take 2000 years for him to fly back. But as he made his way back his body blacken and wouls occasionally shoot off lightening. It was cool as fuck.

RedSwirl

I'm not gonna be one of those people to label everyone who plays those Vita games or watches anime shut-ins. Personally I don't like how some people seem to have circled back around to using the term "nerd" as a pejorative just because of what a lot of so-called nerds say. I'm not going to assume the only people playing these games are creeps.

That said, if features like what has been cut from Fire Emblem are probably going to turn off people in the more general demographic Nintendo goes for, it makes sense for the developer of the game to cut them. Nintendo isn't XSEED or NIS. It's still trying to be the family-friendly company, and honestly I find it odd Nintendo is even publishing games like Xenoblade X and Fatal Frame V. Originally NOA didn't want to publish the predecessors to these games at all because they were "too niche," and niche isn't the kind of thing Nintendo does.

Fire Emblem is taking the same path basically all anime has taken. Since the 90's you could argue it's just been another anime following the anime trends of the times. The problem is, this one is owned and operated by a company that wants to maintain Nintendo's image as anime is becoming a more and more niche industry.

Not only weird but looks like some Newgrounds shit circa 1999

It looks like more of that new computerized animation cheat I've seen in some software/games. They have 2D images with different parts shifting independently to give the appearance of animation. To be fair, anime has always been about finding ways to cheat with low budgets, but here you can just see the seams and in my opinion it looks stilted.

Top Bottom