• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

royalan

I havent caught up on the thread yet, but have y'all heard the SHADE that Gabrielle Union threw at Stacy Dash today?

I'm STILL dead.

DMczaf

Had a coworker ask this question today

"But don't you think there is SOME truth to what the girl from Clueless is saying?"

Jesus...

Enzo goes pretty hard nonstop, so...
Love it..
giphy.gif

Merc_

Ha
HA HA HA HA

THEY WROTE A LETTER. IN JAPANESE. TO BEG FOR UNCENSORED GAMES.

Im dying. Gamergate is such a joke.

The best part is how GG and some of the folks in that thread's attitude of games as a art form do a complete flip the second games are criticized on race and gender. These guys have zero problems with censorship when it comes to ideas relating to feminism and anti-racism.

I wondering if she was playing about not knowing her. She put it down quickly.

I know JackBen likes to listen to my playlists, if you're around of anyone else interested, I made one for my drawing session today.

Tracklist:

1. Jill Scott – Warm Up - Beautifully Human: Words and Sounds Vol.2
2. P-Money – Celebration feat. Aaradhna & Talib Kweli
3. Lil' Kim – Drugs (Instrumental) - Not Tonight [Single]
4. Rita J – Interlude – Artist Workshop
5. Lyric Jones – Magnetic - Love's Trail Mix
6. Impulss – Tumblin' Down (feat. Akon) - MARIE LAVEAUX'S HUSTLE
7. Koji Kondo – Piranha Plant's Lullaby - Super Mario 64
8. Dynasty – Somebody Told Me - A Star in Life's Clothing
9. Sade – Jezebel - Promise
10. Brandy – Best Friend - Brandy
11. Biggie – Big Poppa – Ready to Die
12. Kaytranada – Creep
13. Pras – Ghetto Superstar (ft. Mya & Ol' Dirty Bastard) - Ghetto Superstar
14. Various – Missing You – Set It Off Soundtrack
15. Yoko Shimomura – Balrog Stage – Street Fighter II OST SNES
16. Mary J. Blige – A Night to Remember – Think Like a Man Too Soundtrack
17. Play -N- Skillz – Freaks (feat. Adina Howard) – The Process
18. Koji Kondo - Powerful Infant - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
19. Miriam Mandipira & Her Danish Friends - Trust in Me - Live

akira28

Yup. This world isn't real. I feel sad for my family. They'll read something horrible about me in the future. Meh..fuck it..

the earth is as real as it ever was, the warudo of mankind is all kinds of laugh out loud crazy and cry in the streets depressing at the same time.

sometimes its good to remind ourselves these crazy ass shaved apes don't know shit, and neither do we, really. We figure out the things we remember, and that's why we tell and retell our stories.

McKay, who has been doing a round of press following the critically lauded film’s five Academy Award nominations, was asked about the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. He responded:

“I think it’s legitimate. I think it’s a legitimate complaint ... We’re supposedly artists, writers, directors, actors, whatever and I think more diversity is important. I think we’ve had stretches where there’s been good diversity, but lately it hasn’t been great. So I think if any group on planet earth should be able to deal with protests like this, it should be filmmakers. So I support it. I thought that there were some really talented people that I would have loved to have seen nominated. I think we’re a group that should always be asking questions like that.

At the same time, I think that there were some great movies this year that do challenge entrenched authority and corrupt power, like ‘Spotlight,’ like our movie with banking ... The irony is, we had to make a movie about Wall Street, which is mostly white men. So it was a little frustrating for us, but that’s the truth of Wall Street, we had to do it.”
McKay’s response is interesting, because while Wall Street was and continues to be dominated by white men—a 2014 report by Vettery found that 77.5 percent of Wall Street analysts were men, and 65 percent were white—there certainly were women involved in the lead-up to the financial crisis, specifically former Oppenheimer analyst Meredith Whitney, who was mentioned prominently in the book on which the film was based.

In Michael Lewis’ The Big Short, as various articles critical of the film’s casting omission have already pointed out, Whitney was hailed as one of the soothsayers of the financial crisis; while a somewhat more controversial figure today, she’s known for launching a powerful critique of Citigroup in 2007 that led to the resignation of its CEO and a significant breakdown of its market value. From The Big Short:

Now, obviously, Meredith Whitney didn’t sink Wall Street. She’d just expressed most clearly and most loudly a view that turned out to be far more seditious to the social order than, say, the many campaigns by various New York attorneys general against Wall Street corruption ... This woman wasn’t saying that Wall Street bankers were corrupt. She was saying that they were stupid.
If you’ve seen the film, this sounds pretty familiar. In fact, according to Lewis’ book, Whitney was trained by Steve Eisman, a version of whom is played by Steve Carrell in the movie; Lewis writes that Whitney actually gave him Eisman’s name on a short list of people who predicted the subprime mortgage crisis. Based on this information, it seems like it would have been pretty easy to include a character based on her in The Big Short, if having a somewhat heterogeneous and accurate cast was at all important to the people who made the movie. (We’ve reached out to Adam McKay for comment, and will update if we receive a response.)

http://themuse.jezebel.com/the-big-short-director-on-casting-mostly-white-men-we-1755267414

akira28

they're literally shitting in the pool this time.

they make it sound like there are just roving gangs of refugees, terrorizing the German countryside, jerking off on things and crapping in things that weren't meant to be crapped into. And it feels like these are issues that could be solved with a pamphlet.

BigDes

Kind of noticed that racism seems to be on the rise in the European posters

Like, they all act like smug liberals about America when something race related happens there but then point out that Muslims exist in their country and its rabblerabblerabblerabblerabble

Sch1sm

What gets me is that they selectively pick at things? For example, a couple posters in the English thread about schools being flagged for wearing veils. All this pointing at kids being forced to wear veils, so they support Cameron and co., but they're just going to ignore that adult teachers are also being affected.

It's hard to take any of these threads seriously, even beyond my being a Muslim. I don't wear a hijab, let alone a niqab, but it's grating.

BigDes

What gets me is that they selectively pick at things? For example, a couple posters in the English thread about schools being flagged for wearing veils. All this pointing at kids being forced to wear veils, so they support Cameron and co., but they're just going to ignore that adult teachers are also being affected.

It's hard to take any of these threads seriously, even beyond my being a Muslim. I don't wear a hijab, let alone a niqab, but it's grating.

In our school there were a set of teachers who insisted that the Muslim kids misbehaved because they hated female teachers

It turned out that the Muslim kids misbehaved because the whole class was misbehaving because the teacher in question was shit and couldn't control the class.

When white kids act up its oh they have a bad family background, or learning difficulties or because the individual is a little shit so they need extra support.

When Muslim or Traveller or Polish or Czech kids misbehaved it was because foreigners are all shifty, they all need to go on behavioral management reports.

Shit though if you want to see really really ugly racism snake up out the European posters make a thread about Travellers and Gypsies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
In our school there were a set of teachers who insisted that the Muslim kids misbehaved because they hated female teachers

It turned out that the Muslim kids misbehaved because the whole class was misbehaving because the teacher in question was shit and couldn't control the class.

When white kids act up its oh they have a bad family background, or learning difficulties or because the individual is a little shit so they need extra support.

When Muslim or Traveller or Polish or Czech kids misbehaved it was because foreigners are all shifty, they all need to go on behavioral management reports.

Shit though if you want to see really really ugly racism snake up out the European posters make a thread about Travellers and Gypsies.

has there ever been a thread about travellers without someone shitting on them?

Top Bottom