• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

ReiGun

0SQs8Hm.png

1363-4.jpg

hawkgirl pls

As if playing Hawkgirl wasn't already an L.

ReiGun

My thing is homegirl could save herself a lot of trouble by just saying she's mixed race. She's being intentionally dumb about this.

My thing is homegirl could save herself a lot of trouble by just saying she's mixed race. She's being intentionally dumb about this.
But then she'd have to explain the mixture..I'm guessing one of the elements is clearly the problem. Kinda laughing now after her
old ass black son was in the first episode

PInk Tape

Banned
Slay, I think you might like this.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the link.

Idk, but she seems really insecure about her racial identity if she's willing to shrug off the mixed label she labeled herself as and exchange it for the "whiter than a marshmallow" status because she's worried how white people perceive her.

There's no point in denying parts of your identity to appease people who will still hate you anyway -shrug-

Mizerman

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ok i havent heard about yung berg in years, I just thought he fell off. Did he screw up super hard or something?

From talking hard and getting his chain snatched by goons who then went on the internet bragging about it, to getting fired from love and hip hop for domestic abuse issues, hes had an L filled career

Village

From talking hard and getting his chain snatched by goons who then went on the internet bragging about it, to getting fired from love and hip hop for domestic abuse issues, hes had an L filled career

Oh shit I forgot about that, didn't someone else get their shit snatched up around that time too?

0SQs8Hm.png

1363-4.jpg

hawkgirl pls

surely that must be sarcasm. like you're blatantly looking at a picture of a partially black or latina person right there.

anyways she's fine as hell in legends of tomorrow. looks like a goofier looking rosario dawson, questionable ass tweet tho smh.

Lucini

Banned
Joining thread to say this:

I hate being light-skinned enough to pass for any other ethnicity. It has become a recipe for people to say stealth-racist shit and then get offended when I call them out.

"Oh I didn't mean it when I said that, besides what do you care, aren't you Puerto Rican/Italian/Filipino/Samoan anyway?"

Dammit. Plus, my kids are even more light than me (I'm mixed, my kids are by a white woman) and when they're with my mom she gets asked the "are you the nanny" question. She had to deal with that shit 20 years ago with me and my kid brother...now with my kids too? America, why?

She's identified as multiple different ethnicities at different times. And from her twitter rant from awhile back she claims whatever aspects of her ethnic mix she wants to at any given time. Nobody has the right to label her, too many people are caught up in labels, she's each of those things and all of those things, etc.. etc..

It seems a bit odd to me but it does seem like she had a rough time growing up mixed and because of that she has decided on an... uncommon philosophy.

She has identity issues. She must've had some school trauma where she really couldn't consolidate who she is.

Ugh. Just ugh. I'm trying to make sure my son doesn't get his soul snatched like this. He goes to a 99.99% black school (I don't think I've ever seen a white student there). He is close to all my family. He knows of his grandma's work in the Civil Rights Movement. He's surrounded by blackness.

But at the same time, my husband is an important part of his life, and he also loves Sea Manky's family. I just hope my son claims "mixed" or "biracial", which is a fair assessment of what he is, and doesn't go "white" because of some trauma that I cannot foresee.

The woman needs a mixed race Drop Squad, made up of Halle Berry, Lenny Kravitz, Lisa Bonet, Colin Kapernick, Wentworth Miller, Rashida Jones...

Bowlie

Banned
The bishonen aesthetic is strong in him. Not that he was manly in FFT.

---

I too spent some good years identifying myself as "moreno", or tanned in english, until I learned to accept myself as black. Just as there are multiple tones of skin for white people, the same applies to black people.

Kreed

she's joking here, right?

I can't even tell anymore.

I remember this being discussed earlier in the thread like a month or so ago. There was an interview where she discusses being the first Latina hawk girl also:

But we don't really have any strong Latina heroes. You're the first.

Okay, yeah. That's awesome. I'm into that. That's really, really cool.

Is it something you thought about as you were going into this?

I mean, yeah. I try not to put too much pressure on myself. [Laughs] I think it's really great. I'm glad that we're getting more representation, across the board. It's what we've been needing for so long. We've been set in our ways for quite some time.

When it was first announced that I was playing Hawkgirl, there was so much positive response. And then there were obviously, like, a lot of people who were like, "Um, she's not a redhead. She's not white. She doesn't have green eyes. This is ridiculous." And it's like, "Okay, guys. I get it. You're diehard fans. That's really cool, and that's the way that it was. But you have to keep in mind that she was written in 1940. At that time, there were no other ethnicities in comic books. Like, that wasn't happening."

So now it's like, here we get the chance to revamp and expand. And we have great writers to do it, so why not? I think having something set since 1940 was long enough. We need to see something there, and I think we're getting it. And I think it's awesome.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...renee-talks-hawkgirl-superhero-ethnicity-more

Seems like she's just throwing out what ever ethnicity is convenient at the time.

andthebeatgoeson

Why shit gotta be complicated? There's this girl I like, I've known her all three years we've been in high school. She's quickly become my closet friend. We went on a date once last year and decided to stay friends. Well I talked to her a few weeks ago and told her I had feelings for her. She said she does too, but neither of us are willing to possibly compromise our friendship if this doesn't work out. I still really like her though, any help for a young buck?
Go away from her. I'm assuming you really like her but don't want to rock the boat? Nice guy?

You bring it up but you get let down? Get away from her. Why you have to settle? You have to come to grips with your feelings, first. What do you want? Everyone has had this conversation. It's nice and all but if you really dig her, it's a setup for regrets. Is she an 8 and above? If she is, you gonna wake up one day wondering what the fuck you were thinking.

I would be wary of her motives. Likes you but not really? I don't know how to interpret that. Save your friendship? I'm not good friends with anyone from HS. You might get lucky but most people will dramatically changed from HS to 30. So, live your life. Go find someone who wants to be with you like you want to be with them.

I initially wanted to post that you should fight for her. But fighting is not the right word. You need to figure out how you feel and if you want to, let her know. I don't see how the two of you can have feelings for each other, over multiple years, not get together and still be friends. If your not interested in that process, then leave. Which breaks the relationship. Or tell her how you feel. Which may upgrade the relationship.

And I hope there is no way you'll just swallow your feelings for her sake. That's not a good pattern for any of you.

andthebeatgoeson

Ugh. Just ugh. I'm trying to make sure my son doesn't get his soul snatched like this. He goes to a 99.99% black school (I don't think I've ever seen a white student there). He is close to all my family. He knows of his grandma's work in the Civil Rights Movement. He's surrounded by blackness.

But at the same time, my husband is an important part of his life, and he also loves Sea Manky's family. I just hope my son claims "mixed" or "biracial", which is a fair assessment of what he is, and doesn't go "white" because of some trauma that I cannot foresee.

The woman needs a mixed race Drop Squad, made up of Halle Berry, Lenny Kravitz, Lisa Bonet, Colin Kapernick, Wentworth Miller, Rashida Jones...
Isn't she claiming mixed, just at different times?

That one link mentions how she has claimed other things, at different times. She seems... different. Am I interpreting it wrong that she doesn't want to be forced to claim just one thing? That Tiger Woods claim.

Which kinda has a point. Like she hasn't gotten to the point of being prideful of all. I tell you, I feel for you guys who can pass for others. We need Google Glass so you can record all the racist shit people say when they don't think of you as '_____'.

I don't pass for anything else and a guy started talking about 'nigger work' at a party 10 years back. I'm sure he tripped because I was the only black guy and he had a few beers but no one else flinched, out of five people.

He apologized a few seconds later and I wasn't as woke then. I thought of him as a reject already and I'm too damn arrogant to be threatened by most but I could see how, having to listen to that crap can make you judge your self.

LionPride

Banned
Go away from her. I'm assuming you really like her but don't want to rock the boat? Nice guy?

You bring it up but you get let down? Get away from her. Why you have to settle? You have to come to grips with your feelings, first. What do you want? Everyone has had this conversation. It's nice and all but if you really dig her, it's a setup for regrets. Is she an 8 and above? If she is, you gonna wake up one day wondering what the fuck you were thinking.

I would be wary of her motives. Likes you but not really? I don't know how to interpret that. Save your friendship? I'm not good friends with anyone from HS. You might get lucky but most people will dramatically changed from HS to 30. So, live your life. Go find someone who wants to be with you like you want to be with them.

I initially wanted to post that you should fight for her. But fighting is not the right word. You need to figure out how you feel and if you want to, let her know. I don't see how the two of you can have feelings for each other, over multiple years, not get together and still be friends. If your not interested in that process, then leave. Which breaks the relationship. Or tell her how you feel. Which may upgrade the relationship.

And I hope there is no way you'll just swallow your feelings for her sake. That's not a good pattern for any of you.
I wasn't let down, told her I liked her she told me she liked me. She's become my closest friend and someone I trust. Both of us don't wanna mess that up at all. I ain't wary of her, right now I'm just hoping this doesn't come back and bite me in the ass

Slayven

Or just ignore it. You don't have to answeer personal shit
Who is this jo jo character

I know who he is
That was a rough time in SPidey comics
Slay, I think you might like this.

Hmm, I see. Thanks for the link.

Idk, but she seems really insecure about her racial identity if she's willing to shrug off the mixed label she labeled herself as and exchange it for the "whiter than a marshmallow" status because she's worried how white people perceive her.

There's no point in denying parts of your identity to appease people who will still hate you anyway -shrug-

Comments on kpop videos are so interesting.

Iunno about some of those mixed people you mentioned, but Colin Kaepernick on the other hand.

Have you seen Instagram? You wouldn't even think he was biracial and raised with white parents.

Coli photoshop

The Honorable Minister Kaep X is out here educating y'all.

Personally, I don't think I've ever ran into the identity crisis a lot of mixed folks face. Though I'm half Asian rather than half white. Blasians were the in thing growing up so I took full advantage of it.

Slayven

Went Worth would be happy for the steady check

Kreed

This discussion reminds me of Taye Diggs talking about his kids and wanting them to refer to themselves as mixed and not black:

"When you [call biracial kids black], you risk disrespecting that one half of who you are, and that's my fear," Diggs said. "I don't want my son to be in a situation where he calls himself 'black' and everyone thinks he has a black mom and a black dad, and then they see a white mother, they wonder, 'Oh, what's going on?' "

Diggs also said he would call President Barack Obama the first "mixed" president, rather than the first "black" president."

“As African-Americans we were so quick to say okay he’s black he’s black, and then there were the white people who were afraid to say he was biracial because who knows," Diggs said. "Everybody refers to him as the first black president, I’m not saying it’s wrong, I’m just saying that it’s interesting. It would be great if it didn’t matter and that people could call him mixed. We’re still choosing to make that decision, and that’s when I think you get into some dangerous waters.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...d-mixed-not-black_us_564cde56e4b031745cef6256

Basically wanting to divorce reality of ethnicity and the one drop rule from "what's right" in his mind and thinks he's educating people by taking this stance. Yes we know Obama is mixed, but we also know that 8+ years ago he had problems getting pulled over by police that his white half wasn't solving. At the end of the day he, Hawk girl, and his kids can self identity as they want/should acknowledge their different heritages, but don't pretend the rest of the world doesn't see black first the moment you are in the "wrong place" just to make a point that "it's not fair".

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Good advice. She got you as the "dick in the glass". Just in case things don't work out with EVERYONE ELSE, then she can go ahead and get with you. But she will never break that glass because there is no challenge in that. It is always there. It is like the leftovers in the fridge that you know are there, but you order a pizza anyway.

A relationship shouldn't be something you have to bargain around to start. It also shouldn't be something that you have to convince the other person to get into. If you want to be friends, be distant friends. You have your feelings for her, and if you are close friends it just ends up as a frustrating exercise. Walk away, if you can't do that, just keep it as a text-only friendship. And please...don't explain anything to her, just make the change.

Imm0rt4l

She's identified as multiple different ethnicities at different times. And from her twitter rant from awhile back she claims whatever aspects of her ethnic mix she wants to at any given time. Nobody has the right to label her, too many people are caught up in labels, she's each of those things and all of those things, etc.. etc..

It seems a bit odd to me but it does seem like she had a rough time growing up mixed and because of that she has decided on an... uncommon philosophy.
Nah that's some opportunistic bullshit. It'd be so much less problematic if she simply said she's mixed race, she's clearly not white which means that there is some sense of self loathing there. I know people who are quarter/half black that can straight up pass for white. This woman doesn't pass at all. Self identifying as white for a clearly mixed person just uses her blackness as a fulcrum to uphold white supremacy.

Taye Diggs been on some "good ones" bullshit for a while
Yeah, he's been the conductor of the coon train for a hot minute.

I can't imagine what identity issues must feel like. I mean I have a homie that's half Haitian, half Caucasian.

He hated times society asked him to identify himself. He thought it was obvious to everyone that he was black.

I remember specifically he hated that he felt his identity was something to question.

Top Bottom