• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Slayven

Truth.

She needs to get an African writer to make a story about that Oadougou school. "Mountains of the Moon", indeed.

Of course, now I want magical Nat Turner, or magical Harriet Tubman. Or George Washington Carver making wands with peanut shells.

Shango the Thunderer

Slayven

I haven't seen STC, but the commercials showcase one problem i have with bio pics.

Every other line spoken is some deep soul crushing line.

Malyse

HeySuess, I want you to know that I see your post and it's really difficult to respond to in the way I want. But in the event I never structure my thoughts in a way that properly conveys my intent, let me just say this:

Police need to push back again the media. Innocent until proven guilty goes both ways and far too often the victim gets dragged in some twisted "well they had it coming".

Police need to hold themselves to a much higher standard. No more of this "well they're only human" type dismissal. Like, you don't want the president to be some average guy. You don't want to watch the average American playing basketball. You want to see people better than you; something that you can aspire you be. Same deal with cops.

It's not really a simple problem to address or fix due to being so very ingrained in the systematic insituitional racism in the country and coupled with being so widespread an issue and a lot not due to individuals. I dunno.

Thanks for asking though.

HeySeuss

You're right it's very difficult to fix and it will probably take 10-15 years. One thing that I've mentioned before is that it is slowly getting better. As more younger officers come in, they are more sensitive to these kinds of issues and as the older officers retire out I do think that will change the landscape of policing.

One of the big hurdles is the mindset of "if you just comply" or "don't break the law". Its disgusting that a man's life gets minimized because he was arrested in the past for drugs as if that justifies his life being taken.

I appreciate your post, I know its an uphill battle, but it needs to be addressed and since I'm actually in a position to make positive change, I want to try to do it right.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, Zeus. No problem. I think one of the things that bothers me and is missing nowadays is law enforcement engaging the community. Not just talking to people when a crime has been committed. Not sure where you are, but when I was in D.C. it was always cool to have cops strolling through the neighborhood and just chatting it up..not mean mugging (at least where I lived). Seeing that videos officer in a dance off with some girls or the one playing ball with the kids is a nice change of pace, and something that should be the norm.

Let us know when the thread is up.

ElaborateArcticEasteuropeanshepherd.gif

jmood88

Hey all. For those that don't know me I post occasionally in the cop threads and mlb and CFB threads. I've been a cop for awhile now and while I will never understand fully what a black man goes through in dealing with the police, I recognize that there are many many officers that are either flat out racist or ignorant to their inherent biases toward blacks. One of the things I now have input on in my department, is training our officers get on an annual basis, and I'm getting ready to propose training to recognize those biases and be more understanding of them.

I want to make a thread about this but I'm afraid that it will just devolve into a shit thread and be locked and I don't want that. I'm asking here to get feedback from the black community to see, what you believe to be things that we as police officers can do to repair the trust of those we are sworn to protect. I know the justice system is shit. I know this. But that's not something I could ever hope to do anything about. I'm talking about at the police level only. I'm also not talking about obvious things like killing unarmed men/children or the blue line of silence that is prevalent in my line of work.

What I want to know is what we as white officers should know about culturally that would be beneficial to learn and better understand where you coming from. Things that you learn growing up that are ingrained about who we are as police. Other things we can do do repair that trust besides the obvious things. Once I propose this training I will get push back on it even thought there is a big movement within law enforcement for this type of training, but I know I will get the support I need from my chief. He's going to be starting his own national training business once he moves on and I think I would have a vehicle to roll this type of training out on a national level at some point down the road. But I'd like to get it to where I want it within the next 5 years so that I can do more good for all involved.

Thanks in advance and I hope it is OK to ask this in here. If not I'll edit and delete my post.
Like Gordon said, the most important thing is to make sure that officers are part of the community. It just comes down to treating people like people and not just situations that need to be resolved or enemies that you have to beat. You can't erase the biases people have but if the police don't make themselves part of the community, whether that's being seen outside of just when there are problems or just engaging with people, then there's less fear/hostility from the community and the cops can understand that, no matter what neighborhood they're working, people just want to live their lives the best they can.

HeySeuss

Thanks Gordon. I'm in central Ohio BTW.

I completely agree that community policing is very effective in engaging the community. My department places a huge emphasis on talking to the folks we serve. But my department is only a midsize department with around 75 employees so we don't have a lot of the issues the big metro departments have.

It may seem funny, but when modeling a good community policing program, you need to look no further than the old Andy Griffith show. Mayberry Police was exactly what a police department should be. Engaged with the public, creative problem solving, which all leads to people taking more pride in their community and leading to less crime.

I will write up something in the next few days and post it and I'll definitely post the link here to let you guys know its up.

JeanGrey

Thanks Gordon. I'm in central Ohio BTW.

I completely agree that community policing is very effective in engaging the community. My department places a huge emphasis on talking to the folks we serve. But my department is only a midsize department with around 75 employees so we don't have a lot of the issues the big metro departments have.

It may seem funny, but when modeling a good community policing program, you need to look no further than the old Andy Griffith show. Mayberry Police was exactly what a police department should be. Engaged with the public, creative problem solving, which all leads to people taking more pride in their community and leading to less crime.

I will write up something in the next few days and post it and I'll definitely post the link here to let you guys know its up.

Funny I was thinking the same thing. It's all about getting to know the people in your community. You'd be surprised on the results of just treating people like they matter. Police would have more help from the community once trust is established and they can feel safe. Walls can be broken, start with a smile respect goes along way.

akira28

No problem. I'm about a week away from posting anything topic-wise.

old heads teach the new rookies the crusty shit they've developed over the years. A lot of that "gut" based police work, those hunches, is just plain old racial profiling. I don't know if your dept practices any broken windows policies but black people know they're getting stopped more often, don't you think that would reflect on how black people see police?

cops can't be surprised at how they're perceived. they're just usually far removed from it, living 1 hour plus outside of the places they patrol, and having little connection to the communities that live there.

the irony is that last night I was writing up a piece on how to improve police relations in inner cities with kids.

FyreWulff

cops can't be surprised at how they're perceived. they're just usually far removed from it, living 1 hour plus outside of the places they patrol, and having little connection to the communities that live there

even I noticed this as a white dude. Otherization is easy when cops tend to live all together in distant enclaves, far removed from the areas they patrol.

And it's hard to get the citizenry to acknowledge this as well when a large contingent of them refuse to ever cross a certain street in this heavily segregated city.

as it is, the police in your neighborhood, for all intents, come from "beyond the wall".

Truth.

She needs to get an African writer to make a story about that Oadougou school. "Mountains of the Moon", indeed.

Of course, now I want magical Nat Turner, or magical Harriet Tubman. Or George Washington Carver making wands with peanut shells.

I just read up about it. That school seems like they give Hogwarts a run for their money. They don't rely on wands so that already gives them an advantage unlike England wizards and witches who can't do shit once they're disarmed. It's also common for fourteen year-old Animagus at their school, while Sirius and James were rare exceptions.

HeySeuss

old heads teach the new rookies the crusty shit they've developed over the years. A lot of that "gut" based police work, those hunches, is just plain old racial profiling. I don't know if your dept practices any broken windows policies but black people know they're getting stopped more often, don't you think that would reflect on how black people see police?

cops can't be surprised at how they're perceived. they're just usually far removed from it, living 1 hour plus outside of the places they patrol, and having little connection to the communities that live there.

the irony is that last night I was writing up a piece on how to improve police relations in inner cities with kids.

That's the problem though. Many cops actually don't understand why public perception is so poor. Instead of wanting to find out why, they puff their chest out and spew shit like "if you don't like the cops call a crack head". Seriously.

Cops are type a personalities that Lash out when criticized. That's going to be a huge obstacle in training. However if presented in the right way, I think I can put together a program that will go a long way in changing the way officers think.

Those hunches you talk about, are things that we don't consider for the "why" you do them. Looking over your shoulder, changing the direction you walk when you see a cop, things that culturally you have been raised to react like when you see us. Those reasons you do those things are important but never considered.

Furyous

Hey all. For those that don't know me I post occasionally in the cop threads and mlb and CFB threads. I've been a cop for awhile now and while I will never understand fully what a black man goes through in dealing with the police, I recognize that there are many many officers that are either flat out racist or ignorant to their inherent biases toward blacks. One of the things I now have input on in my department, is training our officers get on an annual basis, and I'm getting ready to propose training to recognize those biases and be more understanding of them.

I want to make a thread about this but I'm afraid that it will just devolve into a shit thread and be locked and I don't want that. I'm asking here to get feedback from the black community to see, what you believe to be things that we as police officers can do to repair the trust of those we are sworn to protect. I know the justice system is shit. I know this. But that's not something I could ever hope to do anything about. I'm talking about at the police level only. I'm also not talking about obvious things like killing unarmed men/children or the blue line of silence that is prevalent in my line of work.

What I want to know is what we as white officers should know about culturally that would be beneficial to learn and better understand where you coming from. Things that you learn growing up that are ingrained about who we are as police. Other things we can do do repair that trust besides the obvious things. Once I propose this training I will get push back on it even thought there is a big movement within law enforcement for this type of training, but I know I will get the support I need from my chief. He's going to be starting his own national training business once he moves on and I think I would have a vehicle to roll this type of training out on a national level at some point down the road. But I'd like to get it to where I want it within the next 5 years so that I can do more good for all involved.

Thanks in advance and I hope it is OK to ask this in here. If not I'll edit and delete my post.

First off, thank you for your service as police officer. All of us appreciate the law.

Suggestions:

Don't pull over a black person because you see them driving an expensive car, driving in an affluent neighborhood, or blasting loud music.

If you see a black person in a vehicle stopped at stop sign, do not pull them over to question them over some BS reason like you saw them stopped at a stop sign. This has happened to me repeatedly.

If someone has a record do not pull them over for no reason because you think they are up to something.

Don't excessively use force for no reason. This includes pulling out guns after requesting someone hand you ID. This has happened to me before.

Enroll in a nonverbal communications course to better understand body language. This goes a long way in saving you the headache of inadvertently firing your weapon or pushing things too far.

TURN OFF FOX NEWS AND WHATEVER CONSERVATIVE RACIALLY CHARGED BULLSHIT YOU FIND, pls? These media outlets give you ill informed opinions about us that influence you subconsciously when you interact with us.

Spend time volunteering in the community to get a feel for everyone. This repairs trust and lets us know you aren't another cop out to advance the agenda of the prison industrial complex that sees us as cheap slave labor making two cents an hour to make stop signs etc.

You guys are strong and well trained. Please do not use excessive force to kill us because of the black rage myth. If you're going to shoot then shoot a leg, an arm, and not send excessive shots in the direction of criminals.

Treat us the same way you would blonde Becky from Sun Valley, Idaho, That same fear that keeps you from using excessive force or harassing her for no reason as she does mundane tasks trying to live is the same level of respect we seek.

I just read up about it. That school seems like they give Hogwarts a run for their money. They don't rely on wands so that already gives them an advantage unlike England wizards and witches who can't do shit once they're disarmed. It's also common for fourteen year-old Animagus at their school, while Sirius and James were rare exceptions.
They shake thier hips to work that magic.

akira28

That's the problem though. Many cops actually don't understand why public perception is so poor. Instead of wanting to find out why, they puff their chest out and spew shit like "if you don't like the cops call a crack head". Seriously.

Cops are type a personalities that Lash out when criticized. That's going to be a huge obstacle in training. However if presented in the right way, I think I can put together a program that will go a long way in changing the way officers think.

Those hunches you talk about, are things that we don't consider for the "why" you do them. Looking over your shoulder, changing the direction you walk when you see a cop, things that culturally you have been raised to react like when you see us. Those reasons you do those things are important but never considered.
and now the blade. lots of cops are cowards. they are afraid just like anyone else, they are only human after all and can face some dangerous situations. but they are paid and wilfully put themselves into the fray or the imagined fray, or sometimes just the innocent peaceful public, looking for people out to do wrong. Now they aren't just observers, they're hunters with bounty if we're being honest to find some kind of wrong doing. This doesn't mean they're objectively watching, protecting and serving to make sure crimes are stopped and injured bystanders are saved before violence occurs. That's almost an unrealistic expectation, but its also the imaginary ideal that a lot of law enforcement position themselves under.

people have a problem with that C word. coward I mean. Like its an insult instead of a statement of fact. The fear component isn't something police bury in order to do their jobs, the fear is attached to the handle of the gun. The fear is attached to the gaze of "something not being right", because cop-sense is a real thing, just like Professor X, and mutant telepathy. Its the bullets and the finger on the trigger at a traffic stop in 100% of every circumstance, because you want to make it home that night to people that love you.

Society claims we need police, okay. The question is the police that we have, do we really need them? Are we really better off with them on the job, or would it serve us better to change our acceptance standards for a public social agent instead of street soldiers in the wars on crime and drugs? (monitoring minorities and enforcing order)

and I don't mean offense, I have cop family and friends and I know about the fear. there is economic leverage that entices certain people to be in positions they really h ave no business being in. Giving people with latent bullying personality flaws government power over the citizen is fucking dumb, and its also public policy.

Kreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6gPp4Ra4_g

The above is a video that spread online/on the news of an officer going into a neighborhood to respond to a noise complaint over kids playing basketball, with the officer joining in on the basketball game vs harassing the kids. There was also a follow up game with Shaq, but my point is, gestures like this go a long way because it shows cops treating fellow citizens like people and not suspects of a crime, in addition to letting others see you being human and not just "officers" looking to fill quotas. The narrative now and for a long time has been that cops mistreat people in the black community because we're an easy target as topics like this show you in regards to the average white person's opinion of us. In general if you are black, you are already being suspected of something the moment someone sees you whether you're in a court of law or you're just walking down the street. Walk into a store to buy something and you know when more than one clerk asks if they can help you with something that they probably think you're going to shop lift (and when you're walking out the door with the item you've purchased you're saying to yourself over and over "please don't let this alarm at the door go off").

When I got my first car the first thing my parents told me was if I was pulled over, was to call someone on the phone and have the person on the other end just listen as the cop pulled me over to make sure nothing bad was happening. Thankfully all I've ever gotten are the occassional speeding tickets so far, but I've stuck with that advice. The two scariest incidents I've had with cops were once for playing my music too loud in my car a block away from a police station and having an entire swat team and drug sniffing dogs show up, and another where the cop asked me to step out of the car for a speeding ticket to sign a citation form (this might not seem bad to you, but my life was flashing before my eyes when he did this. He thought it was funny too when I was yelling out everything I was doing, "I'm stepping out of the car." "I don't have any weapons". "I'm putting my hand on the door handle". "I only have my wallet and car keys in my pockets", etc...). Anyway the point of those examples above is the average black person has a healthy fear of the police. So within your own community with your officers, you have to show the black people there that they are not suspects and that you care and want their support. Conversations/public discourse and discussion of these issues, gestures of good will like the videos above, overall friendliness in general all go a long way.

As for your topic, in general you should know by now that many GAFers only read the topic title. So this has to be the BEST sentence in the whole topic. Make sure you don't sabotage your own topic with a topic title like:

"I'm a cop, how can I repair the image cops have with black people?"

...And then every response for the first two pages is "Stop shooting them" or "OP you're falling for outrage culture, nothing is wrong with the police, it's black people". You have to set the tone of your topic in one sentence as much as possible. Then in your OP, be as informative as you can because this is the most the majority of posters are going to read vs the other responses in the thread. Explain what you're trying to do like you did here and set up rules for what you DON'T want in the topic in regards to the discussion. This will help deter dumbasses from showing in in the thread going "Black people commit more crimes, it's not your fault" or posting Megyn Kelly/Fox News charts and statistics.

Kraftwerk

Beyonce is being accused of cultural appropriation because she worse a traditional Indian dress in the new Coldplay music video.

_88008525_a3b491ba-8e78-4da4-8827-e892d615270c.jpg

Parts of the video are based in India during the Holi Festival when people throw brightly coloured powder at each other.
It shows Chris Martin travelling past ancient sites and through crowded streets in a tuk tuk.
But, the filming of Hymn for the Weekend is causing some people to say Coldplay is using India as a backdrop for the wrong reasons.
And, what's causing most of a stir is Beyonce in traditional Indian dress.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...-being-criticised-for-misusing-indian-culture

akira28

people been trying to catch racism in a butterfly net to use against black people since they theorized its existence sometime back in the 90s.

HeySeuss: that wasn't a bust out, so I hope you come back and engage. And make the thread. Also check your PM.

HeySeuss

Sorry guys. Was watching Man of Steel.

Nothing you guys say will offend me, so don't feel like you need to hold back in order to not scare me off. That's not who I am and that's not what will happen. Making the thread is important to me and trying to get the right parts of the training I'm putting together even more so.

I sincerely appreciate the responses I've got in here, which is why I came here first. There is nobody that should have more input in how you've been marginalized by the system then those that live it. Otherwise whatever I say just comes off as fake.

akira28

and then the ask slayven thread devolves into a free for all argument about comic book facts.

and random pictures of asian actresses, idols, models. (that's a suggestion if anyone wants to contribute)

Mizerman

and then the ask slayven thread devolves into a free for all argument about comic book facts.

and random pictures of asian actresses, idols, models. (that's a suggestion if anyone wants to contribute)

With that combo of comics and asian women, it'll last for 50 pages.

Top Bottom