• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Mizerman

Soooo... Getting married today pretty nervous.

But yesterday was some serendipitous shit.

I didn't call my best friend from childhood cause I thought he was on a show or in LA. So last night I decided to take a drive to the mall in the hood (jandro you know which one) for a vest and to trade in Helldivers coming out of pennies my wife says do you need to trade that game in? I was might adamant about it. So on the way there I blew through a stop sign and there was a guy looking at me. I stopped the car and realized the it my dude. Needless to say he'll be at the wedding.

And to think if I listened to my wife one of my best friends in the world would have missed my wedding.

Alright blackgaf wise me luck hope it lasts

And the to night I will be playing MK music

Grats man.

I didn't call my best friend from childhood cause I thought he was on a show or in LA. So last night I decided to take a drive to the mall in the hood (jandro you know which one) for a vest and to trade in Helldivers coming out of pennies my wife says do you need to trade that game in? I was might adamant about it. So on the way there I blew through a stop sign and there was a guy looking at me. I stopped the car and realized the it my dude. Needless to say he'll be at the wedding.

And to think if I listened to my wife one of my best friends in the world would have missed my wedding.

Congratulations, wishing you and your wife the best.

andthebeatgoeson

Congrats naka.

Advice: Love is a decision. Right now, everything is happy. You love her tremendously. Can't wait to get married. People will say you 'fell' in love, as if you don't know how it happened. That's true, in a sense. It's a romantic ideal.

But it's not true. You are deciding to love her now. It's just an easier decision now than compared to 5 years from now. Today, you decide to overlook some things that will be apparent. Things only change when you decide to let them.

Put that in your back pocket. You'll really need that later. But appreciate it now, just a little, so you can realize how much it's true in the future.

Imm0rt4l

I feel like an important part of cultural appropriation is shitting on the people or culture in general while you take bits and pieces you like. Is that going on here?
Yeah, I'd say so. No regard for religion and cultural customs, I think the colors worn are something to consider for example. Beyonce like,"I'm going to just move my hands around cuz it looks pretty". Chris Prances about the more dilapidated parts of India etc.

Slayven

The idea of instead of the audience growing out of the show, it might be the show growing out of the audience. I don't agree with a lot of the opinions completely I feel like south park is still in many plays doing their " playing both sides of the fence" thing, but the thing is last season, a lot of times, the one of side of the fence was just... way more a thing than the other side of the fence.

The idea behind of a lot of it was a lot of south parks humor, or rather more and more over time has become a " look at these crazy kids and their PC whatever" which in some cases is funny, but I understand the sentiment. The idea of the idea of some show just getting a bit too old for their audience is just an interesting idea. And its an odd thing to consider, because south park , kind of have always made fun of things kids were into. Chinpokemon the dance battle stuff, but its something about making fun of the concept of PC has just turned people off. Because on some level what are you making fun off? And even more so, the delivery is a heck of a lot different that before, the move to a more structured story over the course of a season, has in some ways made it worse. Before they would get their point across in one many two episodes, and be about it. But now with a whole season of getting the point across, not only could the point not get across. If they actually don't have a point, its a whole season of miss.

edit: To add on to that, I think the definitive proof of them just , in a social commentary sense having outgrown a lot of their audience, south park works best at least to me nowadays... when it isn't south park. My favorite episodes of south park are the mysteron episodes, because its about the kids wanting to be super heroes, my favorite peices of south park media is stick of truth because its an rpg. When you give them jokes in a general setting that don't really need to be culturally biting in today's world, but let them just nerd out. It works great, but when they try and be hip, while you get some funny episodes like tweek x creig ,sometimes it just falls apart. I am infinetly more hyped about the new south park super hero game than whatever possible next season.
They went full reddit last season, shocking a lot of people are down with that

congrats

Africanus

Quite a bit of bullshit..

That's some bullshit, right there.

It really is. I can only count down the days till I live this place.

What good fortune!
And congratulations! I wish you a happy marriage.

andthebeatgoeson

1600.jpg

Woman’s Parents Accepting Of Mixed-Attractiveness Relationship

Yeah it's old but hilarious.

CHICAGO—Admitting it took them some time to come around to the idea, the parents of local woman Laura Stevens said Wednesday that they had finally accepted their daughter’s mixed-attractiveness relationship with Kyle Baker, a man who is considerably worse-looking than she is. “To be honest, we were quite surprised when Laura brought Kyle to the house for the first time, but eventually we came around to it,” said Stevens’ mother, Janet, who noted that the pair were still met with uncomfortable stares and disapproval from other family members—especially Laura’s grandmother—at last year’s Thanksgiving dinner. “Her father was particularly upset at first, but now I think he’s learned to accept it, and he’s even grown to like Kyle. Besides, Kyle seems to make Laura happy, and that’s all that really matters.” Janet Stevens went on to say that, if the two ever got married, she would love their children no matter how average-looking they are.

Congratulations.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Congratulations Naka. Wishing you all the best. Don't read the spoilers.

I don't believe I could ever trust a relationship enough to make it "permanent" i.e. enough to marry. People change. And that's not something anyone can control. I've seen that just from long term relationships under 4 years. I would never gamble my financial and mental well-being on a person I am could be with now being trustworthy or loving for the rest of my life. Currently single so it doesn't really matter, but that's still how I feel. Not sure why marriage is even desirable in the first place.

Malyse

norm-macdonald-for-kentucky-fried-chicken-1448327294.jpg

I had no fucking clue this was Norm Macdonald.

@Jackben: Taxes. Dink is desirable.

So, BCT wedding crash?

JK.
But really, let's.

Bronx-Man

Banned

Congrats my man!

Furyous

Naka best wishes to you and your family as you move forward on your grown man shit. I'm rooting for you to get the children, car, dog, and house as well. That starting five is essential. How does it feel to have your jersey in the rafters?

Feel free to throw lobs from the sideline to the young people on the court from time to time if you visit the gym and see a solid training partner that helps the young ones elevate their game. Not yours of course because your jersey is in the rafters.

Numb

Congratulations Naka. Wishing you all the best. Don't read the spoilers.

I don't believe I could ever trust a relationship enough to make it "permanent" i.e. enough to marry. People change. And that's not something anyone can control. I've seen that just from long term relationships under 4 years. I would never gamble my financial and mental well-being on a person I am could be with now being trustworthy or loving for the rest of my life. Currently single so it doesn't really matter, but that's still how I feel. Not sure why marriage is even desirable in the first place.
You should meet my parents.
I was told it was desirable because it is destiny from god. It's either mandatory or a must. You can't fight destiny. You might find the one anywhere. During walks,through introduction,in an accident or we might lock you in a room together.Word for word. Love em but they want that marriage to happen bad lol besides what you stated already

Kreed

Congratulations Nakazato!

The idea of instead of the audience growing out of the show, it might be the show growing out of the audience. I don't agree with a lot of the opinions completely I feel like south park is still in many plays doing their " playing both sides of the fence" thing, but the thing is last season, a lot of times, the one of side of the fence was just... way more a thing than the other side of the fence.

The idea behind of a lot of it was a lot of south parks humor, or rather more and more over time has become a " look at these crazy kids and their PC whatever" which in some cases is funny, but I understand the sentiment. The idea of the idea of some show just getting a bit too old for their audience is just an interesting idea. And its an odd thing to consider, because south park , kind of have always made fun of things kids were into. Chinpokemon the dance battle stuff, but its something about making fun of the concept of PC has just turned people off. Because on some level what are you making fun off? And even more so, the delivery is a heck of a lot different that before, the move to a more structured story over the course of a season, has in some ways made it worse. Before they would get their point across in one many two episodes, and be about it. But now with a whole season of getting the point across, not only could the point not get across. If they actually don't have a point, its a whole season of miss.

edit: To add on to that, I think the definitive proof of them just , in a social commentary sense having outgrown a lot of their audience, south park works best at least to me nowadays... when it isn't south park. My favorite episodes of south park are the mysteron episodes, because its about the kids wanting to be super heroes, my favorite peices of south park media is stick of truth because its an rpg. When you give them jokes in a general setting that don't really need to be culturally biting in today's world, but let them just nerd out. It works great, but when they try and be hip, while you get some funny episodes like tweek x creig ,sometimes it just falls apart. I am infinetly more hyped about the new south park super hero game than whatever possible next season.

The anti PC concept in the last season just wasn't a good idea for a show that generally doesn't "take sides" and tries to make fun of everything and everyone. I understood why they did it as creators of South Park, since they have been under attack by people who were offended by their show since creation. But instead of keeping it strictly as a self reference, they decided to enter into the Seinfeld and Chris Rock college complaint realm, which put them more on a "conservative" slant in addition to becoming fuel for the "Gamergate, red pill, people who use SJW in actual sentences" crowd and even members of GAF who lurk this thread and talk shit in private sand boxes (which is mostly white males, ironically the audience they were "trying" to make fun of by suggesting all outrage culture people are just white college men wanting to get laid). This fuel part is what is turning off people who don't believe "outrage" culture exists/and or is being misused in the way we regularly see it used on GAF.

I don't think they've outgrown their audience any more than they had when they started the show, vs this season falling into the same trap Chris Rock and Seinfeld did complaining about college kids but throwing the huge "outrage culture" net that just attacks anyone that complains about anything related to social issues similar to Bill Maher turning off many liberals by attacking all Muslims vs keeping his message directed at extremist/terror groups. It's very lazy and socially irresponsible when you're trying to be a show that uses humor for a soap box. I think Obama did the best job at trying to tackle this "issue", and even he got misquoted to hell and back on attacking PC/outrage culture vs saying college kids should be open to hearing all view points.

The more I'm on this site the more I realize people don't know what they want. They complain about having to buy dlc with real money and then they get mad when you have the choice to use real money or play the game to unlock shit. They complain about how unlockables need to come back into games instead of having to pay extra to get the content and when they do come back they complain. Like what the fuck?

Malyse

The more I'm on this site the more I realize people don't know what they want. They complain about having to buy dlc with real money and then they get mad when you have the choice to use real money or play the game to unlock shit. They complain about how unlockables need to come back into games instead of having to pay extra to get the content and when they do come back they complain. Like what the fuck?

You could have just said "gamers are awful" and been done with it.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm just a nigga. Until I fill my pockets. And then I'm Mr. nigga.
-vince staples

Idk why it took me so long to pick up what that means. Damn.

:'(

Just more reasons why developers shouldn't take forum posts seriously.
Unless it's Durante.

Ice cold.

Village

Congratulations Nakazato!

The anti PC concept in the last season just wasn't a good idea for a show that generally doesn't "take sides" and tries to make fun of everything and everyone. I understood why they did it as creators of South Park, since they have been under attack by people who were offended by their show since creation. But instead of keeping it strictly as a self reference, they decided to enter into the Seinfeld and Chris Rock college complaint realm, which put them more on a "conservative" slant in addition to becoming fuel for the "Gamergate, red pill, people who use SJW in actual sentences" crowd and even members of GAF who lurk this thread and talk shit in private sand boxes (which is mostly white males, ironically the audience they were "trying" to make fun of by suggesting all outrage culture people are just white college men wanting to get laid). This fuel part is what is turning off people who don't believe "outrage" culture exists/and or is being misused in the way we regularly see it used on GAF.

I don't think they've outgrown their audience any more than they had when they started the show, vs this season falling into the same trap Chris Rock and Seinfeld did complaining about college kids but throwing the huge "outrage culture" net that just attacks anyone that complains about anything related to social issues similar to Bill Maher turning off many liberals by attacking all Muslims vs keeping his message directed at extremist/terror groups. It's very lazy and socially irresponsible when you're trying to be a show that uses humor for a soap box. I think Obama did the best job at trying to tackle this "issue", and even he got misquoted to hell and back on attacking PC/outrage culture vs saying college kids should be open to hearing all view points.

you are speaking my mind, I think what you are saying is still outgrowing the audience, just in a bad way. Like chris rock and Jerry, they got older and in someways couldn't related to a lot of the younger people, so they turned into a " oh these darn kids " direction. But when your show has been, blunt commentary and sort of taking down whatever big thing there is at the time. When you become that big thing and punch down, it seems messed up.

Like as you mentioned the whole PC thing in general was a bad thing to make fun of, because... well what are you making fun of. Because PC isn't really a thing, its just... being a nice person. And the anti pc crowd has lead over the past few years some of the most horrific stuff seen on the net. Its kind of really hard to argue middle ground, and they didn't really.

They used a slippery slope, " worst case south park surreal" to try and make fun of it, but it seems like even in the last couple episodes of that season they realized it was bad, and just gave up. Creating this weird mixed message in the season finale.

Why I find this interesting, is that this is something due to the youngness of the medium, is happening a lot with video games. Games that sorta two young, or too old for some aspects of their respective audience.

They went full reddit last season, shocking a lot of people are down with that

Nah man, not reddit, Seinfeld. You see reddit is like young cats who are in some cases socially inept and stuff. South park is now the establishment.

This is some old comedian, who was funny back in the day, but they are still slanging the same ideology, and maybe it doesn't work in whatever they are trying to relate to. In this case its PC, because to be honest what are you making fun of... being nice?

When it comes to people who thrive off humor and comedy, PC is pretty much a Boon to their creative concept, well for those who tend to ease off and on the line anyways.

More conservative(heh) comedians are fine, but when you get to people like Matt and Trey, Seinfeld, or Rock. Crossing that line is pretty much what they are good at, and when it becomes Taboo to even do that, its an issue to them, a understandable issue. Whether they move with the times or not is up to them though because it moves on without them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Your first mistake is thinking gamers are monolithic

When it comes to people who thrive off humor and comedy, PC is pretty much a Boon to their creative concept, well for those who tend to ease off and on the line anyways.

More conservative(heh) comedians are fine, but when you get to people like Matt and Trey, Seinfeld, or Rock. Crossing that line is pretty much what they are good at, and when it becomes Taboo to even do that, its an issue to them, a understandable issue. Whether they move with the times or not is up to them though because it moves on without them.

my favorite's when gaffers are like "name one successful comedian who isn't offensive" as though it's logistically impossible or something.

Sou Da

Didn't reverse people's expectations by keeping PC Principal as a character and making him the good guy? I barely watched this season but I'm beginning to agree with people saying that the non-political episodes are the best ones.

Jimmy's wacky races was great.

my favorite's when gaffers are like "name one successful comedian who isn't offensive" as though it's logistically impossible or something.

Which is fallacious as hell.

Real Talk, Humor is probably the most subject thing besides morality so I sympathize with those whose comedic styles are mainly about being Raw or tip toeing on the line. Luckily Rock and Seinfeld don't thrive off of being offensive as possible like Matt and Trey so they are just mildy inconvenienced for the most part while you see Matt and Trey pretty much "suffer" for it.

Comedy is a fickle thing.

Technically, the correct answer to that question is...Bill Cosby. Ironic, huh?

IMHO, comedians should just get out there and make those jokes. And don't apologize. They are plenty of comedians who made the controversial jokes and didn't back down, and are now considered legends. Of course, if you're making a joke, and the only people laughing are bigots...then maybe you're a bigot. What you do from that point is up to you.

Technically, the correct answer to that question is...Bill Cosby. Ironic, huh?

IMHO, comedians should just get out there and make those jokes. And don't apologize. They are plenty of comedians who made the controversial jokes and didn't back down, and are now considered legends. Of course, if you're making a joke, and the only people laughing are bigots...then maybe you're a bigot. What you do from that point is up to you.

I was just thinking about that lol

Mizerman

Oh yeah, that SFV thread. That was hilarious and sad at the same time.

Top Bottom